PDA

View Full Version : Is Lynch our most important player outside the top 22?

Raw Toast
25-03-2009, 09:52 PM
This is a question related to 2009, not long-term, and is a bit out of left field since Lynch was close to being delisted last year.

But we struggle for pace a bit through the middle, and have been sliced up a bit of late by teams like Essendon and Carlton. Plus pace is pretty important against the zone as well. And Lynch has pace to burn and could be a great help defensively running down players, and offensively breaking some lines.

So my thinking is that if, and I know if it is a big IF, he can get himself fit and firing, then he makes the balance of our midfield look much better.

While I'm at it - we tend to focus a fair bit on the 2007 and 2008 draft crops, but I've still got a bit of hope that 2006 might turn out to have been a pretty good draft year for us. If Everitt can get over his blues, and Stack comes on, then it starts to look more than decent. There's more ifs here I know, but I think it might be the players from this year (more than 07 & 08) that determine how far we progress this year...

Thoughts?

GVGjr
25-03-2009, 10:02 PM
This is a question related to 2009, not long-term, and is a bit out of left field since Lynch was close to being delisted last year.

But we struggle for pace a bit through the middle, and have been sliced up a bit of late by teams like Essendon and Carlton. Plus pace is pretty important against the zone as well. And Lynch has pace to burn and could be a great help defensively running down players, and offensively breaking some lines.

So my thinking is that if, and I know if it is a big IF, he can get himself fit and firing, then he makes the balance of our midfield look much better.

Even if he was reasonably fit I would have thought he was better suited to a role as a small forward who was capable of spending a few minutes in the midfield rather than a real viable midfielder. Having seen him on Saturday I just think he doesn't have the physical presence to be a destructive midfielder.

I agree that the lack of pace through midfield means that we need to look at guys like Lynch and hope that they kick on but at the moment he need to improve too much to be a great option for us. A couple of good outings for Williamstown could change my view though.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 10:45 PM

While I'm at it - we tend to focus a fair bit on the 2007 and 2008 draft crops, but I've still got a bit of hope that 2006 might turn out to have been a pretty good draft year for us. If Everitt can get over his blues, and Stack comes on, then it starts to look more than decent. There's more ifs here I know, but I think it might be the players from this year (more than 07 & 08) that determine how far we progress this year...

Thoughts?

Very interesting point. I don't know too much about him but if he can come into the 22 and become that x-factor or difference between preliminary final losers and premiers I'm all for it.

mjp
26-03-2009, 12:31 AM
No.

That would be one of Grant, Cordy or Roughead (depending on where your priorities lay).

Bulldog Revolution
26-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Lynch is an X-factor for me,

He has made a lot up ground in the off season, as he was miles away from getting a game last year, and now looks a possible, but he'll have to put it together in the VFL first

In 2009 Harbrow, Higgins and Griffen should provide some more pace and run to the midfield. Reid is also not slow. And maybe another X-factor Jamason Daniels is another option to add some run to the midfield.

Structurally Grant is the most important outside the 22 because he is actually a forward. We are not sure with any of our other talls if they can really play forward, although from the little I have seen Cordy has good instincts as a forward and Roughie does genuinely look promising resting down there.

The Coon Dog
26-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Lynch is very lucky to still be on the list. It's up to him to see what he makes of his opportunity, but I'm with mjp on this.

Mantis
26-03-2009, 09:24 AM
No.

That would be one of Grant, Cordy or Roughead (depending on where your priorities lay).

While understanding your reasoning it is pretty clear that these 3 while not be major factors in 2009.

It has already been stated that Grant is expected to play less than 10 games this year and from that you can would expect his role to be minor. The other 2 while highly regarded will be expected to develop their games at Williamstown.

Lynch is the type of player we need to step up, probably along with Harbrow who also needs to improve his game. We need to inject some pace into the team and these 2 have this in abundance.

As with TCD the reports on Lynch are mixed so hopefully he has turned the corner with his injuries & questionable attitude which plagued his 08 season because if he has another poor season we probably will not see his undoubted talent in Bulldog colours in 2010.

Desipura
26-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Thoughts?
After the 2006 draft, Clayton stated that the crop had the potential to be better than the 1999 crop.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I think Stacky.

I have been on his bandwagon since day one. Just needs something to happen...

Go_Dogs
26-03-2009, 12:26 PM
After the 2006 draft, Clayton stated that the crop had the potential to be better than the 1999 crop.

Could still well turn out to be the case. Everitt potentially looks a very good player, Hill and Harbrow (RD) have also shown some great glimpses at AFL level. If another one or two of Lynch, Stack or O'Shea make it, it could go down as one of our best. Still a long way to go though.

As far as the thread topic, I'm not convinced on Lynch. Neither am I convinced that Grant, Cordy or Roughead will prove to be X-Factors this year.

With Cooney and Griffen, we already have some pretty good pace around the ball. These guys work well with the run all day types of Cross, Boyd etc, and we have a few guys like Harbrow, Higgins, Hill and Gia who we can put through the midfield too. Whilst they may not be exceptionally quick, they're quick enough.

The talls would seem to still be a year or two off collectively. Grant seems the best chance to play a few games, but I doubt he'll make much difference this year, besides perhaps assisting our structures a little.

I think our improvement really needs to come from the Higgins/Addison/Griffen/Williams sort of guys, who have been around long enough, played a bit of senior footy (besides perhaps Williams, but he's played 20 odd games now). These guys need to step up and become consistent performers.

Last year the Hawks got a lot of strong performances from guys like Franklin, Roughead, Birchall, Lewis, Ellis, Young and some of those sort of guys. Having someone do a Selwood/Rioli type thing and having a really impressive first year is a bonus.

Raw Toast
26-03-2009, 02:42 PM
No.

In the long-term no doubt, but for our season this year? It would be great if Grant stood up and one of the others contributed, but asking one of them to be the difference this year is overly hopeful I reckon (though I'd love to be proved wrong, as long as we don't sacrifice someone like Cordy's body for the short term).

Lynch is the type of player we need to step up, probably along with Harbrow who also needs to improve his game. We need to inject some pace into the team and these 2 have this in abundance.

As with TCD the reports on Lynch are mixed so hopefully he has turned the corner with his injuries & questionable attitude which plagued his 08 season because if he has another poor season we probably will not see his undoubted talent in Bulldog colours in 2010.

Agree with this.

I'm not saying Lynch will have a break-out year, just that I think in the short-term, he offers us something we're really in need of - if only he can step up and deliver it.

At best we'd have him and Harbrow rotating through the forward line with bursts in the middle.

bornadog
26-03-2009, 06:29 PM
I think Stack will do a better job than Lynch. Stack has more to offer with his size (compared to Lynch) and skills. It would be great if he could stay injury free and find some confidence.

always right
26-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I think Stack will do a better job than Lynch. Stack has more to offer with his size (compared to Lynch) and skills. It would be great if he could stay injury free and find some confidence.

Stack looks like a one-pace player to me. he needs to have something else to get into the seniors.

bornadog
26-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Stack looks like a one-pace player to me. he needs to have something else to get into the seniors.

Have you seen him play at all?

LostDoggy
26-03-2009, 06:45 PM

I have question marks on Stack's pace also. He got burnt off a few times against Essendon.

Bulldog Revolution
27-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I have question marks on Stack's pace also. He got burnt off a few times against Essendon.

Stacks looked quick every time I've seen him, but still growing into a very powerful frame.

LostDoggy
27-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I agree I too have only ever seen Stack in February Nab cup game on tv and we need to delist him.

bornadog
27-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I agree I too have only ever seen Stack in February Nab cup game on tv and we need to delist him.

Delist him based on one game?

LostDoggy
27-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Delist him based on one game?

:)
Sorry, I should have put the rolleyes in there.

bornadog
27-03-2009, 12:36 PM
:)
Sorry, I should have put the rolleyes in there.

I should have known you were joking.

azabob
27-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Even though you are only joking ES, Stack needs to do something this year. This is his 3rd year on the list.

LostDoggy
27-03-2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-western-bulldogs--malcom-lynch?year=2007

Malcolm Lynch
#39 Western Bulldogs
Height: 178cm Weight: 68kg Position: Forward
Last Drafted: Round 4, Pick #66 2006 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Western Bulldogs

2007 Games Log for Malcolm Lynch (Western Bulldogs)
Description Date Opponent Result -----------------K HB D M G B T HO GA GC I50 FF FA Brownlow
Round 13 1st Jul North Melbourne Loss 85-111----- 1 1 2 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1
Round 12 16th Jun Fremantle Win 141-115 ---------6 4 10 8 0 0 2 0 1 1 5 1 0

2008 - No games

------------------------

No major injuries that i can recall. He's not that important and will find himself lucky to be on the list at the end of the season unless he has a breakout year and plays 6-12 games with impact.

It's all about height now. The small players are just over six foot. Still room for one or two small men, generally in the forward line. We've got Harbrow atm playing a similar position that he would. If he was to come in, who would he replace, assuming it's not Harbrow?

GA - Goal Assists, I50 - Inside 50s, GC - Goals Contributed (Goals + Goal Assists)

LostDoggy
27-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Even though you are only joking ES, Stack needs to do something this year. This is his 3rd year on the list.

No doubt. My point was you can't say he might be slow(one paced) based on only ever seeing on TV in a February Mickey Mouse comp game.

Mantis
27-03-2009, 03:17 PM
------------------------

No major injuries that i can recall. He's not that important and will find himself lucky to be on the list at the end of the season unless he has a breakout year and plays 6-12 games with impact.

It's all about height now. The small players are just over six foot. Still room for one or two small men, generally in the forward line. We've got Harbrow atm playing a similar position that he would. If he was to come in, who would he replace, assuming it's not Harbrow?

Playing the devil's advocate you could say Jason Akermanis for one.

Aker had an ordinary end to last season and has already had a calf problem this pre-season. If Aker struggles early in the season & Lynch is performing well at Willi we may see a change.

azabob
27-03-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-western-bulldogs--malcom-lynch?year=2007

Malcolm Lynch
#39 Western Bulldogs
Height: 178cm Weight: 68kg Position: Forward
Last Drafted: Round 4, Pick #66 2006 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Western Bulldogs

2007 Games Log for Malcolm Lynch (Western Bulldogs)
Description Date Opponent Result -----------------K HB D M G B T HO GA GC I50 FF FA Brownlow
Round 13 1st Jul North Melbourne Loss 85-111----- 1 1 2 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1
Round 12 16th Jun Fremantle Win 141-115 ---------6 4 10 8 0 0 2 0 1 1 5 1 0

2008 - No games

------------------------

GA - Goal Assists, I50 - Inside 50s, GC - Goals Contributed (Goals + Goal Assists)

He had a lot of hamstring problems last year