PDA

View Full Version : Will Cam Wight play every home & away game this season?

Mofra
24-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Barring injury of course.

I like the way he finished off 2006. Reminds me of Cross finishing off 2004 - young player, not hugely rated as a teenager, but seems to work hard on endurance to establish himself in the team, then work on the other aspects of his game.

May have been drafted as a ruckman, but CHB seems to be his position.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2007, 02:44 PM
No.

IMO he's not physically nor mentally ready to play 22+ games at this stage.

I think he'll play 16+ games though.

Because he's only a young player still maturing, I think it'd be only natural for the tall, skinny kid to have a drop in form and thus perhaps to re-capture some in Werribee.

It's a big year for him, but I don't think we'll see him play all of them. Others will impress whilst, IMO, he'll struggle at times.

All in all, I still have high expectations for Wight and certainly do hope to see him play the large majority of games.

southerncross
24-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I think Bulldogs Bite is fairly close to the mark. My guess is about 14 games. Given he has been injured most seasons I don't think we can expect much more than 14 games. Even that might be a stretch.

firstdogonthemoon
24-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Give it 2 years and we will be almost as excited about Cam (as a defender) as we are about Mr Boyd and Mr Griffen.

Raw Toast
24-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Injuries are clearly one of the key things for Wight. If he can keep fit and healthy I reckon he's a good chance to play every game. While I reckon his form will oscillate, his versatility and speed gives us a lot as he can play on quite a few types. His development is pretty important for us so I reckon he'll be given a few chances. And he doesn't have a heap of people competing with him for a spot this season. Williams hopefully will towards the end of the season and maybe McDougall or Skipper might put their hand up, but we'd prefer Hargrave, Morris and Grant to not have to play chb (or fb) if possible I think.

dog town
24-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't be at all suprised if he played every game he was available for. His game will take off once he gets a few good performances under his belt. Just crying out for a shot of confidence. His courage could be his undoing with regards to injury. Tends to put himself in some dangerous situations.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I think he'll play every game this year. His fitness is up there with the best at the club, and his determination last year was excellent. Think Wight's in for a big year.

GVGjr
24-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Will his success come down to what Eade wants to do with McDougall and to a lesser extent if he plans to play both Minson and Street?

My guess is that if he intends to play the three guys mentioned above then Wight could slide down the pecking order. Street, Minson, McDougall, Darcy, Harris and Grant and our smaller tallish options like Hargrave and Morris might squeeze Wight out against some teams.

If the intention is to only play Minson and Darcy in the ruck and McDougall as a forward then Wight is very much in the mix.

Sockeye Salmon
24-03-2007, 09:38 PM
14 games.

He'll get rubbed out for 8 weeks for smashing Matthew Lloyd's head in.

BulldogBelle
24-03-2007, 09:59 PM
As a few people have mentioned in this thread if he remains injury free he is a big chance to play the majority of the H & A season. Important year for him, would like to see him 'make it'.

Mofra
01-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Anyone changing their opinion after today?

Barring injury of course ;)

southerncross
02-04-2007, 05:21 AM

I think I said 14 games. Based on what I saw against the Cats he should surpass that. I did factor in that he is likely to miss a couple through injury though. Might be a chance to play as a foward as well.

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 06:11 AM

While one swallow does not a summer make, and one game doesn't make a season, this looked like a massive step up. What had worried me was that he had gone from a young player who had shown a bit to being considered a regular in one of the toughest possies on the ground. While I still think his body won't yet stand up to a full season, a few more games like yesterday and I'll be much less worried about our height in defence.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I think the important thing to remember is, that he beat Ottens. Ottens is hopeless at the best of times, he shines every summer, and as soon as the real action starts, he shows his true self. He'll have 2 good games for the year where he'll destroy the games best defenders, and the rest of his year will be below poor.

I still think Wight was excellent, but let's not get too carried away due to quality of the opposition, and lack of good delivery they were receiving. If he was on Brown and Black was delivering the ball for example, different story. But small steps in the right direction is very positive, and I'm optimistic it will continue.

bornadog
02-04-2007, 03:53 PM
I think the important thing to remember is, that he beat Ottens. Ottens is hopeless at the best of times, he shines every summer, and as soon as the real action starts, he shows his true self. He'll have 2 good games for the year where he'll destroy the games best defenders, and the rest of his year will be below poor.

I still think Wight was excellent, but let's not get too carried away due to quality of the opposition, and lack of good delivery they were receiving. If he was on Brown and Black was delivering the ball for example, different story. But small steps in the right direction is very positive, and I'm optimistic it will continue.

Ottens virtually won the game for Geelong last time we played them, so it was great to see Wight do so well.

I have big wraps for this guy, just needs a bit more muscle. Eade says he is the second fastest player on the list and he could play on the wing, not bad for some one 200cm

Dry Rot
03-04-2007, 08:13 AM

Hard to judge on one game this season (although he finished well last year I suppose).

Will be interesting to see how he goes against a range of opponents receiving better delivery. Also interesting to see how things pan out when Harris & Grant return.

Longer term, where does he fit in with Everritt and Williams?

Go_Dogs
03-04-2007, 09:25 AM
It's going to be interesting if all 3 of those young talls do come good. Not sure who I would play where, but surely one of them, or Harris may get a run up forwards. I wonder if Wight will end up a ruckman? Imagine his around the ground work with his agility.

GVGjr
03-04-2007, 06:24 PM
It's going to be interesting if all 3 of those young talls do come good. Not sure who I would play where, but surely one of them, or Harris may get a run up forwards. I wonder if Wight will end up a ruckman? Imagine his around the ground work with his agility.

I suppose another re-calculation of the expectations of Wight is now required given todays news on Chris Grant.

bornadog
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM

Actually, your very astute, Eade said Wight could play CHB, Wing or Ruck, because he also mentioned Williams and other talls. There could be a plan there that he is working on, ie if Williams neets expectations and can hold down CHB, then Wight may move to the Ruck as Darcy retires.

alwaysadog
03-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Hard to judge on one game this season (although he finished well last year I suppose).

Will be interesting to see how he goes against a range of opponents receiving better delivery. Also interesting to see how things pan out when Harris & Grant return.

Longer term, where does he fit in with Everritt and Williams?

The interesting thing is that all 3 are very flexible types. All have a basic athleticism that means they can be used in a wide range of positions.

FWIW should Williams ever get to 50 games and should we ever have alternative cover in the backline then I'd expect Williams to go forward and Wight could play anywhere; imagine a 200cm running on baller.

Everitt at the moment sees himself as a pure backman but his education in football has only just begun.

While it's been slow to take off I think we are on the verge of seeing a completely new game with running talls nearly as mobile as the smalls.

While Whitall might have given some immediate relief he would have got in the way of our long term success, so glad we didn't really chase him when he was available at the end of the 2005 season.

bornadog
03-04-2007, 11:11 PM
The interesting thing is that all 3 are very flexible types. All have a basic athleticism that means they can be used in a wide range of positions.

While it's been slow to take off I think we are on the verge of seeing a completely new game with running talls nearly as mobile as the smalls.

Imagine that, it would be unbelievable, gone are the big bruts, replaced by streamline athletes, takes the game to a new level. I wonder if Eade and Co have this is mind.

Go_Dogs
04-04-2007, 09:39 AM
It's exactly what Eade would be working towards, he has already started to redefine how the game is played, the importance of raw pace ever increasing. No doubt he has a pretty specific idea about the types of players he wants to put on our list, and the mobile, agile big types seem to be the types of talls that we want. Certainly having the ability to run hard and fast, pick up balls on the bounce down at your feet, and all these other things are important to Eade and the direction our club is taking. Exactly why Akermanis was so keen to join up, and exactly what the players are working towards. Being the fastest, slickest and most cohesive unit on the park.

bornadog
04-04-2007, 01:28 PM
It's exactly what Eade would be working towards, he has already started to redefine how the game is played, the importance of raw pace ever increasing. No doubt he has a pretty specific idea about the types of players he wants to put on our list, and the mobile, agile big types seem to be the types of talls that we want. Certainly having the ability to run hard and fast, pick up balls on the bounce down at your feet, and all these other things are important to Eade and the direction our club is taking. Exactly why Akermanis was so keen to join up, and exactly what the players are working towards. Being the fastest, slickest and most cohesive unit on the park.

Combined with guys like Minson and Hahn to do some of the bulk work. The old days it was compltelty the opposite way ie a couple of quick players and the rest was based on muscle.

Go_Dogs
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Exactly, but those bulk work guys still have to be capable of running hard all day. Minson has certainly lost a bit of weight and really seems to be a lot fitter. I imagine Hahn, once he starts getting into his season training mode and doing more k's will also slim down a bit. We need the "Speed Kills" thing on our jumpers.