PDA

View Full Version : This years commentating.

ledge
29-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Well its only into the first round and if i hear another "outstanding" from them i am fairdinkum going to throw a dictionary at the commentary team.
On that point , just who do we think is going okay and who isnt?
Who has promise and who is deadset horrid?
My 2 cents worth is Commetti is as good as ever.
Frawley is a bit more relaxed now and can give you the odd giggle.
Thank god they didnt have that woman call (if she did well i am glad i dont know about it)
I didnt hear a "special" from Bruce either.

Mantis
29-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Well its only into the first round and if i hear another "outstanding" from them i am fairdinkum going to throw a dictionary at the commentary team.
On that point , just who do we think is going okay and who isnt?
Who has promise and who is deadset horrid?
My 2 cents worth is Commetti is as good as ever.
Frawley is a bit more relaxed now and can give you the odd giggle.
Thank god they didnt have that woman call (if she did well i am glad i dont know about it)
I didnt hear a "special" from Bruce either.

Perhaps you should flick thru the pages of it before you throw it...

LostDoggy
29-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't pay too much attention but I love Commetti. I HATE Robert Walls especially when it involves Carlton/Judd.

ledge
29-03-2009, 07:23 PM

We probably all need to but we are not paid to use adjectives they are!
Anyone can use the same one over and over again with every second play.

ledge
29-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I hope we dont get the slow boring ones this evening.

ledge
29-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Umm okay a bit slow on the uptake there, how about a Thesauras?
Maybe even both at times, because i am sure some of the commentators dont know what some of the words they use mean either.

Dazza
29-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Tonight was so bad. What was with everyone getting the names wrong? I can remember someone kept saying giansiricusa should have taken the shot etc about 3 times and it was gilbee that did it AND brian taylor mentioned it was gilbee literally 2 seconds before he said it.

LostDoggy
29-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I listen to it on 774 while watching it. Much better team.

LostDoggy
29-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Tonight was so bad. What was with everyone getting the names wrong? I can remember someone kept saying giansiricusa should have taken the shot etc about 3 times and it was gilbee that did it AND brian taylor mentioned it was gilbee literally 2 seconds before he said it.

They're probably just a bit rusty. Once the season gets in full swing they should improve.

Happy Days
29-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Tim Gossage was terrible tonight..contributed nothing to the broadcast, and when he did it was unbelievably biased towards the Dockers.

craigsahibee
29-03-2009, 11:16 PM
They're probably just a bit rusty. Once the season gets in full swing they should improve.

Unfortunately that's as good as it gets with Gerard Healy and Glen Jakovich. Thank christ Dwayne Russell wasn't there.

AndrewP6
29-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I know they're only human and I know it's early days...but really...with so many name errors...and repeating the same errors... those guys get paid a lot of money to do that...

LostDoggy
29-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Brian Taylor made a blue but in general he was the best of the lot tonight.

bornadog
30-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Brian Taylor made a blue but in general he was the best of the lot tonight.

They couldn't work out which players are which, kept getting Boyd, Cross, Higgins mixed up, otherwise I thought BT was ok.

Mantis
30-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I thought the commentating was shitful yesterday.

Gerard Healy made a comment at the 20min mark of the 3rd qtr that Fremantle would have to be happy with today's performance. Blind freddy could see we were going to thump them in the last qtr with the aid of a strong wind at our backs.

Jakovich is biast, he can't tell the difference between the players and offers no real insight into the agme.

aker39
30-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I thought the commentating was shitful yesterday.

Couldn't agree more.

They clearly did no preparation for the game.

How hard is it to get a tape of our NAB Cup game and have a look at some of the players.

I LOL when Gerard said that Freo would be happy with their performance. Gerard tipped Freo to be the team to improve the most this year (once again) and he was clearly trying to justify his comments.

We beat them by 10 goals. How can any team be happy with that performance.

Topdog
30-03-2009, 02:45 PM
How many times did Jakovich say that Ibbotson "really made a name for himself last year"?

Also after both of Johnsons goals (within 5 minutes) he said "that'll do his dconfidence a World of good."

craigsahibee
30-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Slightly off track, did anyone hear Grant Thomas on SEN this morning? I nearly drove off the road when he praised the Bulldogs for the way they played.

If he keeps doing that I will need to install wipers on the inside of the car 'cause I nearly spat my coffee out when he applauded us for our hardness at the footy.

I may have to watch Footy Confidential tonight to see whether he follows it up with more praise.

The Coon Dog
30-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Slightly off track, did anyone hear Grant Thomas on SEN this morning? I nearly drove off the road when he praised the Bulldogs for the way they played.

If he keeps doing that I will need to install wipers on the inside of the car 'cause I nearly spat my coffee out when he applauded us for our hardness at the footy.

I may have to watch Footy Confidential tonight to see whether he follows it up with more praise.

Yeah, did hear that & like you I was very surprised.

ledge
30-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Heard Dermie on SEN on way home from work, he said our game and the style we play was probably the most impressive of the week.

hujsh
05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Channel 7 showed Eagle in the last quarter with the blood coming from his forehead and placed and add to give blood underneath.

Best thing they've done with the footy.

ledge
05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Im convinced "outstanding" is the word of the year, i must haver heard it 30 times today.

ledge
05-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Dagger in the heart has been a big one too, at our game and the Weagles and Port game.

craigsahibee
06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Channel 7 showed Eagle in the last quarter with the blood coming from his forehead and placed and add to give blood underneath.

I saw that on Friday night but thought it was just coincedental. Great idea.

aker39
06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I had the unfortunate experience of having to listen to Rex Hunt.

He really is hopeless.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 12:21 PM

I noticed that too, funniest thing I've seen on TV for a while.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I had the unfortunate experience of having to listen to Rex Hunt.

He really is hopeless.

I totally agree - I had to listen to Rex Hunt as well, and I can never figure out who has the ball, who kicked the goal, etc., etc. So very frustrating! I know they jokingly call 774 funeral directors, but at least you can visualise what is happening and who has the ball!:)

azabob
06-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I totally agree - I had to listen to Rex Hunt as well, and I can never figure out who has the ball, who kicked the goal, etc., etc. So very frustrating! I know they jokingly call 774 funeral directors, but at least you can visualise what is happening and who has the ball!:)

They still call 774 funeral directors? I have not listened to 3AW call football for 15 years and they were doing that lame attempt at a joke then.
My stance on the radio is if the melbourne 774 team are not calling our games I will not listen to our game. I'd prefer to listen the game 774 is broadcasting and just get updates.

alwaysadog
08-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Same old, same old. No imagination, nothing new or insightful ever said, pander to the lowest common denominator commentary is the aproved style. Robert Wanker Walls even has to tell us where the ball is kicked from. Talk about the ultimate regression or reduction to adsurdity.

Why is it that the game has got much more technical and dare one say intellectual and we suffer commentators who are the antithesis. No wonder the coaches treat them with disdain.

LostDoggy
08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
They still call 774 funeral directors? I have not listened to 3AW call football for 15 years and they were doing that lame attempt at a joke then.
My stance on the radio is if the melbourne 774 team are not calling our games I will not listen to our game. I'd prefer to listen the game 774 is broadcasting and just get updates.

I'm with you Bob, when you are listening to a game you want to know 3 things,.

1/ What the score is.
2/ Where the ball is.
3/ Who has the ball.

774 give it a try!

azabob
08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Same old, same old. No imagination, nothing new or insightful ever said, pander to the lowest common denominator commentary is the aproved style. Robert Wanker Walls even has to tell us where the ball is kicked from. Talk about the ultimate regression or reduction to adsurdity.

Why is it that the game has got much more technical and dare one say intellectual and we suffer commentators who are the antithesis. No wonder the coaches treat them with disdain.

Alwaysadog, I find your post's interesting and enjoy reading them. You obiviously have a good grasp of the english language or a great thesaurus ;), but I dont understand why you need to include petty insults as to me they seem out of place in your posts.

One way to fix the commercial TV problem is hit the mute button and put on a CD, or turn off the TV and put on the most insightful commentary team Melbourne's ABC's 774. :)

Mofra
08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I feel slightly dirty, but I really enjoy BT commentating. I like to know the commentator has a real passion for the game, rather than just listen to some some perfunctory exercise in player recognition.

alwaysadog
08-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Alwaysadog, I find your post's interesting and enjoy reading them. You obiviously have a good grasp of the english language or a great thesaurus ;), but I dont understand why you need to include petty insults as to me they seem out of place in your posts.

One way to fix the commercial TV problem is hit the mute button and put on a CD, or turn off the TV and put on the most insightful commentary team Melbourne's ABC's 774. :)

Thanks for the compliment, but gee bob, I thought I was being nice to Wallseye. Calling someone as intellectually lazy as he is a wanker is hardly an insult, at worst I was damming him with faint praise.

To put it mildly I am fed up with being patronised by supposed expert commentators with a conservative approach and zero analytic skills. Walls is a major insult to the intelligence of his listeners, of which I am no longer numbered.

I hear that he has finally discovered how the ball is kicked; watch out for more equally earth shattering revelations. If he ever gets beyond the bleeding obvious it will be a first, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for the cataclysmic occurrence.

I don't listen to the commentary, I don't watch the Footy Show or the other drivel that passes for football associated entertainment; I contribute this site, because we try to go beyond platitudes and stereotypical answers to every issue. There's more genuine football comment talent evident here than the whole electronic media combined.

PS It has been claimed that I ate a dictionary and a thesaurus at a young age and never recovered from the experience.

ledge
10-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Friday night i forget who, maybe Dennis but it was a pun waiting to happen , something to do with Dick kicking a goal and being clever.

Bulldog Revolution
10-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Commetti had a good one against North where he described Minson as moving like cold honey

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure if I should start this as a new thread, or continue on here, mods, pls move if required.

Fave Commentaries about the doggies players.

Dennis Commetti on -

Daniel Cross: "...he's like Chris Judd in ugg boots..."

Jarryd Harbrow: "....he's slippery..."

Guido: "Did I say smooth! He's half man, half cappuccino!"

Bruce Macavaney on Josh Hill

"Gee, I think I"m getting a man crush!"

Gary Lyon commenting on Dennis Commetti's infatuation with Daniel Cross

"..I sense the birth of a love child..."

And there was the "catch 22" comment with Dylan Addison either taking a mark or getting tackled hah hah.

Gerard Healy commenting on Big Will Minson getting into a push and shove against someone:

"I know who I'd be backing!"

Any others?

The Coon Dog
10-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Any others?

Try here Dex:

Commettisms (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2275)

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Try here Dex:

Commettisms (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2275)

Is there anything that you don't remember TCD?? I mean the amount of times I see a link to previous Threads it's like you memorise everything on here. (It is handy BTW just an observation)

Note to self don't do anything embarassing on Woof for TCD to bring back and haunt me.

The Coon Dog
10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Is there anything that you don't remember TCD?? I mean the amount of times I see a link to previous Threads it's like you memorise everything on here. (It is handy BTW just an observation)

Note to self don't do anything embarassing on Woof for TCD to bring back and haunt me.

When I read something, quite often I can recall a previous/similar thread on the topic. From there I just use the 'search' function.

How to Search for Older Threads. (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=376)