PDA

View Full Version : I saw something last night that really impressed me!

bulldogtragic
30-03-2009, 10:16 AM
The ability and want of players to share the opportunities and give to someone in a better position. Much like Hawthorn and Geelong (but with out better accuracy) our players played like they did, but better. The two in particular was Josh Hill handballing two goals away whilst standing in the goal sqaure unmarked. All he would have had to was turn around and goal, but he saw a teammate running past and dished out 10 metres unmarked from goal.

We've come along way from the allegations of kick-to-kick between senior players a few years back and the players are doing the right thing. Josh's stats wont look that brilliant at a glance, but sometimes you see moments that change the way you see things. Some moments last night have changed the way i look at the players and i see a willingness to do the right thing and see we share and do the hard work for each other as good as anyone else.

Now, to keep showing this.

Mantis
30-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Some good observations there.

Perhaps he should have handballed when he went for the miracle goal.;)

Yeah I thought he was unselfish last night and showed some good signs, but it is no wonder Rocket gets frustrated by him.

LostDoggy
30-03-2009, 10:25 AM
The two in particular was Josh Hill handballing two goals away whilst standing in the goal sqaure unmarked. All he would have had to was turn around and goal, but he saw a teammate running past and dished out 10 metres unmarked from goal.
:)
You'd want to handball if he is going to butcher the receives he gets in the square. You had to laugh at the time as we were well in front.

Otherwise I agree there were a number of 'team' goals.

bulldogtragic
30-03-2009, 11:03 AM
:)
You'd want to handball if he is going to butcher the receives he gets in the square. You had to laugh at the time as we were well in front.

Otherwise I agree there were a number of 'team' goals.
:) :)

Too right, I wasn't sure whetehr to go there in the initial post.

Josh can frustrate alright. But i like the signs we are always looking to get our mates in the game and give to a better option even if it means a goal isnt registered in our own names.

I can only imagine the conversation with Rocket...

LostDoggy
30-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Interesting thread.

I think we've always tried to do this with our play on at all costs gameplan, but disposal skills haven't always been up to scratch (thus the countless turnovers we would see in the middle of the ground/in the forward-50 in the last couple of years).

I don't necessarily mean that players' basic disposal haven't been up to scratch, more under pressure disposal and handballing from below knees and with the weaker hand. The Dogs have put a lot of work into this over the pre-season and I think we are seeing some of the fruits.

Scraggers
30-03-2009, 04:50 PM
You have to wonder how well Aka fits into this shared responsibility approach ... There were numerous occasions he was able to shake his opponent yet was overlooked ... You could see the frustration building ...

Can anyone tell me if he is on a performance contract?

ledge
30-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Aker is amazing isnt he, bobs up and just creates, never misses, unbelievable footballer.

Rocket Science
30-03-2009, 07:03 PM
While Hill's exploits on this front stand out, what was more generally pleasing was our blokes' inclination to look for eachother in pressure situations and use a combination of smarts, pluck and teamwork to win the ball to advantage, especially at ground level...often nothing spectacular; a little knock-on, a little block or shepherd, but simply that awareness of the situation around you and the benefits of working in tandem.

It's a quality all good teams exhibit and makes the game both easier for themselves and harder to combat.

Mofra
30-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Lake's kick across the ground in the 4th was sublime, Eagle's finishing was miles better than his pre-season from, we linked up extremely well when running forward.

Perhaps we'll overtake Geelong in playing the most attractive style of football this year? Our skill level is certainly higher than most sides, our ball movement has improved and this was without (arguably) our best forward in Murphy.

azabob
30-03-2009, 07:26 PM
You have to wonder how well Aka fits into this shared responsibility approach ... There were numerous occasions he was able to shake his opponent yet was overlooked ... You could see the frustration building ...

Can anyone tell me if he is on a performance contract?

This happened to Aker pretty much every week last year.
Great footballer and reader of the play.
Imagine watching him in his prime at Brisbane....

LostDoggy
30-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Aker is amazing isnt he, bobs up and just creates, never misses, unbelievable footballer.

That handball he sent forward in the middle of the park, was awesome.

I don't know how he seen the Bulldog player leading up, but he hit him on the chest.

Dancin' Douggy
30-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I saw something last night which was a team without 'floaters'.
By that I mean players who seem to float through a game.
Players who's kicks float,
who's handballs float, who's whole persona just seems to just float around.
Players who float unconvincingly into packs looking like they don't REALLY care if they take the mark or make the spoil.

We've shed a few floaters since Eade took over and the team yesterday looked strong, purposeful and energetic.
Power, Bowden, McMahon, and yes even Farren were floaters and we look so much better without them.
That's why Harbrow gets the love.(different thread) He never floats.

Last night I saw a team with the mark of a good coach on it.
Constructed piece by piece to win a flag.
Right players kept, right players shipped off.

FEELS GOOD.