PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NAB Rising Star

The Coon Dog
31-03-2009, 05:32 PM
2009 NAB Rising Star Nominations

1. Daniel Rich - Brisbane (Subiaco)
2. David Zaharakis - Essendon (Northern Knights)
3. Patrick Dangerfield - Adelaide (Geelong Falcons)
4. Jaxson Barham - Collingwood (Geelong Falcons)
5. Garry Moss - Hawthorn (East Perth)
6. Stephen Hill - Fremantle (West Perth)
7. Jack Ziebell - North Melbourne (Murray Bushrangers)
8. Jarryn Geary - St.Kilda (Bendigo Pioneers)
9. Andy Otten - Adelaide (Oakleigh Chargers)
10. Taylor Walker - Adelaide (Broken Hill)
11. Brad Dick - Collingwood (East Fremantle)
12. Aaron Joseph - Carlton (Tassie Mariners)
13. Tayte Pears - Essendon (East Perth)
14. Jack Grimes - Melbourne (Northern Knights)
15. Liam Jurrah - Melbourne (Yuendumu, NT)
16. Chris Masten - West Coast (East Fremantle)
17. Dayne Beams - Collingwood (Southport)
18. Callan Ward - Western Bulldogs (Western Jets)
19. Mitch Brown - West Coast (North Ballarat)
20. Michael Hurley - Essendon (Northern Knights)
21. Nic Suban - Fremantle (North Ballarat)
22. Jesse White - Sydney (Southport Heights)
I'll add to it each week as I did last season. Anyhow Daniel Rich has won the round 1 nomination.

* Eligibility:

Every round, an Australian Football League rising star nomination is given to a standout young player. To be eligible for the award, a player must be under 21 on January 1 of that year, have played 10 or fewer senior games before the beginning of the season, and not have been suspended during the season.

At the end of the season, nine AFL personalities (typically administrators and All-Australian team selectors) vote for five of the twenty-two nominees, with their top selections earning five votes, their second selection earning four votes, etc. The player who receives the most votes is the winner.

LostDoggy
31-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Is anyone surprised by this? While he had a good game Rich's won it more on hype than substance.. there were a few other stand-out first gamers -- Kyle Cheney in particular, but also Petrenko, Dawson...

Go_Dogs
31-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Is anyone surprised by this? While he had a good game Rich's won it more on hype than substance.. there were a few other stand-out first gamers -- Kyle Cheney in particular, but also Petrenko, Dawson...

Hurley too.

Is Zac Dawson still eligible?

Didn't see the Brisbane game, so no idea how Rich actually played. Hurley did very well though, on an older, stronger and more experienced opponent. And any tall defender who does the kick ins on debut...thats just unheard of.

The Coon Dog
31-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Is Zac Dawson still eligible?

No, played 14 games before this season.

LostDoggy
31-03-2009, 06:33 PM
No, played 14 games before this season.

Whoops. *grin* Cheney and Hurley and Petrenko then. Was very impressed with Cheney's game.

Suckling, Cook and even Hill (never going to win it though playing for Freo) did okay. Just saying that quite a few first-gamers did pretty well, and Rich seems to be just an obvious choice based on reputation.. saw a bit of the game, he did okay, but nothing spectacular.

LostDoggy
31-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Can any of you see a Bulldogs player getting nominated/winning it this year? Hopefully Jarrod Grant at least gets nominated. Towards the end of the year it seems like they hand out the nominations to whoever is eligible. All the young guns have already been nominated.

LostDoggy
31-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Can any of you see a Bulldogs player getting nominated/winning it this year? Hopefully Jarrod Grant at least gets nominated. Towards the end of the year it seems like they hand out the nominations to whoever is eligible. All the young guns have already been nominated.

Based on reputation apparently Ayce is a shoo-in to be nominated if he is picked and performs remotely decently.

Go_Dogs
31-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Cal Ward would have to be a near certainty to receive a nomination at some stage.

LostDoggy
31-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I thought Mitch Robinson from Carlton had a very impressive game and was unlucky to miss.

Rocket Science
31-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I thought Mitch Robinson from Carlton had a very impressive game and was unlucky to miss.

Agreed...Robinson was a pretty influential contributor Thursday night, particularly for a first-gamer...perhaps the quality of the opposition was taken into account.

Scorlibo
31-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I think the nom could have gone to any of Rich, Cheney, Hurley, Ward and Otten, all were equally impressive.

Edit: and Robinson of course.

Dancin' Douggy
31-03-2009, 09:24 PM
CaN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE A LIST OF WHICH BULLDOG PLAYERS ARE ELIGIBLE?
Could Higgins still win it?
What about Everitt?

Dogs 24/7
31-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Caps key sticking tonight DD ?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:qba8VHPxl5fwhM:http://www.ilfilosofo.com/wp-content/uploads/caps_key_dirty.jpg

The Coon Dog
31-03-2009, 09:51 PM
What about Everitt?

Jarrad Boumann
Ayce Cordy
Jamason Daniels
Jarrad Grant
Liam Jones
Malcolm Lynch
James Mulligan
Chris Ogle
Guy O'Keefe
Paul O'Shea
Sam Reid
Jordan Roughead
John Shaw
Brennan Stack
Callan Ward
Henry White
Easton Wood

The Coon Dog
31-03-2009, 09:52 PM
What about Everitt?

No to Everitt & Higgins (17 & 32 games prior to round 1).

Dancin' Douggy
31-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Can't see us winning it this year.
Thanks CD for the list.

Dancin' Douggy
31-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Caps key sticking tonight DD ?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:qba8VHPxl5fwhM:http://www.ilfilosofo.com/wp-content/uploads/caps_key_dirty.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't mean to sound too agitated.
Sorry.

bornadog
01-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Callan Ward, 18 disposals, three tackles and a goal, thought that would have just about won it this week.

Won't be long and this kid will get a nomination.

comrade
01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Jarrad Boumann
Ayce Cordy
Jamason Daniels
Jarrad Grant
Liam Jones
Malcolm Lynch
James Mulligan
Chris Ogle
Guy O'Keefe
Paul O'Shea
Sam Reid
Jordan Roughead
John Shaw
Brennan Stack
Callan Ward
Henry White
Easton Wood

I've bolded our most likely potential nominees - in my humble opinion, of course.

Lynch or Stack could bob up but they seem a fair way off at the moment.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Jarrad Boumann
Ayce Cordy
Jamason Daniels
Jarrad Grant
Liam Jones
Malcolm Lynch
James Mulligan
Chris Ogle
Guy O'Keefe
Paul O'Shea
Sam Reid
Jordan Roughead
John Shaw
Brennan Stack
Callan Ward
Henry White
Easton Wood

So Liam Picken does not qualify??

bornadog
01-04-2009, 11:40 AM
So Liam Picken does not qualify??

No, he is on the Rookie list

aker39
01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
No, he is on the Rookie list

He qualify's once he is promoted to senior list, just like all the other rookies that TCD included on the list.

I think the point was that Liam had been left off the TCD's list.

bornadog
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
He qualify's once he is promoted to senior list, just like all the other rookies that TCD included on the list.

I think the point was that Liam had been left off the TCD's list.

True, but he is also well over 21 years old. Will be 23 in August.

aker39
01-04-2009, 11:55 AM
True, but he is also well over 21 years old. Will be 23 in August.

Fair enough.

He doesn't qualify because of his age, not because he is on the rookie list.

bornadog
07-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Essendon youngster David Zaharakis has been named the AFL Rising Star nominee for Round 2.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Played a pretty good game on the weekend too. Another guy who can just play, having an immediate impact.

Bulldog Revolution
07-04-2009, 04:25 PM
The limited highlights I saw he looked a Gilbee like kick

The Coon Dog
15-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Adelaide's Patrick Dangerfield is the NAB Rising Star nominee for round 3. He looks a player & is obviously well thought of at Adelaide; being given the #32.

In our game I was very impressed with Alex Rance. Performances like that will net him a nomination shortly.

Go_Dogs
15-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Adelaide's Patrick Dangerfield is the NAB Rising Star nominee for round 3. He looks a player & is obviously well thought of at Adelaide; being given the #32.

In our game I was very impressed with Alex Rance. Performances like that will net him a nomination shortly.

I got a bit of a kick watching him and Ward run around together at a few stages. Obviously going to be two very different players, but given how keen we were on both, will be interesting to watch their careers progress.

Dangerfield was good on the weekend, and looks an explosive, strong player.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 11:46 PM
rich has been the stand out so far and beams deserves a nomination

The Coon Dog
21-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Collingwood's Jaxson Barham is the round 4 NAB Rising Star nominee. Fair debut on Friday night too, the second Geelong Falcon to be nominated in consecutive weeks.

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Collingwood's Jaxson Barham is the round 4 NAB Rising Star nominee. Fair debut on Friday night too, the second Geelong Falcon to be nominated in consecutive weeks.

15 turnovers, apparently.

Happy Days
21-04-2009, 06:44 PM

He did play well, but that is bloody stiff on Ziebel.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Hawthorn's Garry Moss is the round 5 NAB Rising Star Nominee this week.

soupman
28-04-2009, 04:19 PM
No suprises there.

Go_Dogs
28-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Good one Moss - seems a real young leader (from what I recall he was at U/18's level) - has had to work hard too.

Just a smart footballer.

The Coon Dog
05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Pretty simple choice this week. Fremantle's Stephen Hill is the round 6 NAB Rising Star nominee. 3rd boy from WA selected this season after Rich & Moss.

The Coon Dog
12-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Another beauty selected this week. North's Jack Ziebell is the round 7 NAB Rising Star nominee. At this early stage he'd be right up there with Hill & Rich.

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Another beauty selected this week. North's Jack Ziebell is the round 7 NAB Rising Star nominee. At this early stage he'd be right up there with Hill & Rich.

Don't mind Dangerfield, he will be a ripper.

Ziebell though, looks like a second coming of Nathan Buckley, even moves like him.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Taylor Walker pretty stiff don't you think

Happy Days
12-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Can Walker be nominated, or was this just an oversight?

The Coon Dog
19-05-2009, 12:47 PM
St.Kilda's Jarryn Geary is the round 8 NAB Rising Star Nominee this week.

The Coon Dog
26-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Andy Otten from Adelaide is the round 9 NAB Rising Star nominee.

Hard to see the winner not coming from those already nominated this season. Usually the winner is nominated early on in the season. I like Jack Ziebell from North Melbourne.

R1 – Daniel RICH (Brisbane Lions)

R2 – David ZAHARAKIS (Essendon)

R3 – Patrick DANGERFIELD (Adelaide)

R4 – Jaxson BARHAM (Collingwood)

R5 – Garry MOSS (Hawthorn)

R6 – Stephen HILL (Fremantle)

R7 – Jack ZIEBELL (North Melb)

R8 – Jarryn GEARY (St Kilda)

R9 - Andy OTTEN (Adelaide)

chef
26-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Is Cal Ward eligible this year TCD?

Go_Dogs
26-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Is Cal Ward eligible this year TCD?

Yes.

Otten has been very impressive. He's a terrific size, good in traffic, good skills and takes the game on. Could end up very much in the Goddard mould I feel.

Scorlibo
26-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Tell you what, I dunno if Muston is still eligible but that was one of the all time great debuts surely? Could yet do justice to all the hype.

Happy Days
26-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Tell you what, I dunno if Muston is still eligible but that was one of the all time great debuts surely? Could yet do justice to all the hype.

Fair point, but I also think its good to see the selectors rewarding the consistency that Otten has shown.

The Pie Man
26-05-2009, 11:24 PM

One thing about being injury riddled through your first few years - if you push through and finally get there, you make your senior debut with a mans body.

The Coon Dog
26-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Fair point, but I also think its good to see the selectors rewarding the consistency that Otten has shown.

I guess I do find it frustrating that they do reward consistency, but all of a sudden they go for a flashy debutant like they did in round 4. I think Ernie might have an idea why that was. ;)

KT31
27-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Very harsh on Ward , if he had other colours on I'm sure he would have been nominated by now.

The Coon Dog
27-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Very harsh on Ward , if he had other colours on I'm sure he would have been nominated by now.
No, can't agree there KT, he's yet to really stamp his authority on a game. Sure we've seen bits & pieces, but that's all. He was recently dropped & a criticism was he lacked intensity, just loped along even when receiving the ball. He needed to go back to Williamstown to get a bit of zip. Hopefully he's done that. There were promising signs in the last quarter on Friday night.

Mantis
27-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I guess I do find it frustrating that they do reward consistency, but all of a sudden they go for a flashy debutant like they did in round 4. I think Ernie might have an idea why that was. ;)

Who mind you set a world record for the number of clanger kicks in the same game.

LostDoggy
29-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Who mind you set a world record for the number of clanger kicks in the same game.

By some margin. The mercy rule should have been called in after 15 so that he was allowed to only handball from then on. Oh! But there were some errors by hand too weren't there?

Ludicrous nomination, purely due to press coverage and the colours of his jumper.

Sedat
29-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Hard to see the winner not coming from those already nominated this season. Usually the winner is nominated early on in the season. I like Jack Ziebell from North Melbourne.
So do the media (as well as Rich). But in actual terms, Jarryn Geary has been comfortably the most consistent, and definitely the most impactful player in games for his team, out of that list so far in season 2009.

The Coon Dog
31-05-2009, 11:05 PM
You would think Callan would come under serious consideration this week. Be hard to beat Taylor Walker who kicked 5 goals for Adelaide & Brad Dick who had 25 touches for Collingwood & kicked 3 goals.

Happy Days
01-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately for Callan, Walker would have to be an absolute monty this week, given both his performance this week, and other weeks (against us and Freo) where he was stiff not to be nominated.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
No, can't agree there KT, he's yet to really stamp his authority on a game. Sure we've seen bits & pieces, but that's all. He was recently dropped & a criticism was he lacked intensity, just loped along even when receiving the ball. He needed to go back to Williamstown to get a bit of zip. Hopefully he's done that. There were promising signs in the last quarter on Friday night.

How many of those 2009 RS names so far have stamped their authority on the game?

comrade
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
You would think Callan would come under serious consideration this week. Be hard to beat Taylor Walker who kicked 5 goals for Adelaide & Brad Dick who had 25 touches for Collingwood & kicked 3 goals.

You could argue that 18 possessions and 3 goals against the Swans is more impressive than 25 touches and 3 goals against Port?

The Coon Dog
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
You could argue that 18 possessions and 3 goals against the Swans is more impressive than 25 touches and 3 goals against Port?

It is Collingwood remember. My God, I'm starting to sound like Ernie! :eek:

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 06:19 PM

You poor bugger!

:D

Happy Days
01-06-2009, 10:13 PM
How many of those 2009 RS names so far have stamped their authority on the game?

Rich has been consistently amongnst Brisbane's best players, Moss kicked four and turned the game the week he was nominated, Zaharakis on ANZAC day, Hill in the derby, etc.

The Coon Dog
02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Taylor Walker is the second Adelaide Crow in consecutive weeks to receive a NAB Rising Star nomination. He is the round 10 nominee, joining fellow Crows Andy Otten & Patrick Dangerfield this season.

The Underdog
02-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Taylor Walker is the second Adelaide Crow in consecutive weeks to receive a NAB Rising Star nomination. He is the round 10 nominee, joining fellow Crows Andy Otten & Patrick Dangerfield this season.

Can't argue with any of them. All look to be good future players . Walker seems a good pick up as a NSW scholarship player. Pat on the back to the Crow scout who spotted him.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I saw Walker against us and he looked pretty good. My gripe is you usually have to play at least 2 good games to get a nomination and some of those named haven't.

KT31
02-06-2009, 09:49 PM

This was my original point.

The Coon Dog
09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Brad Dick of Collingwood is the round 11 NAB Rising Star Nominee. Below is the list at the half way mark of the year.

Scorlibo
09-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Brad Dick of Collingwood is the round 11 NAB Rising Star Nominee. Below is the list at the half way mark of the year.

Another good performance from Ward this weekend should see him nominated. Probably would have got it this week if Dick didn't kick 5.

Bulldog Revolution
09-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Another good performance from Ward this weekend should see him nominated. Probably would have got it this week if Dick didn't kick 5.

You'd have to think he was close, but a dominant performance in Darwin wouldn't disappoint me.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Dick's been impressive lately. He deserves it.

On a side note, I found a call made by Tim Lane particularly amusing on the weekend. Dick applied pressure and ended up gaining the ball in a contest, and I'm not sure who the Melbourne player was but he said something along the lines of "He had a handful of Dick."

It'll never get old that one.

lemmon
09-06-2009, 07:43 PM

On a side note, I found a call made by Tim Lane particularly amusing on the weekend. Dick applied pressure and ended up gaining the ball in a contest, and I'm not sure who the Melbourne player was but he said something along the lines of "He had a handful of Dick."

Ha ha caught that one as well, I thought I picked up a little snigger from Wallsy as well.

AndrewP6
14-06-2009, 11:03 PM

Good one, I also foiund the comment made by James Hird on Fox Sports channel quite funny, made reference to "Dick popping up"...

LostDoggy
14-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Let's hope Callan can get the nod this time.

Bulldog Revolution
14-06-2009, 11:20 PM
You'd have to think he was close, but a dominant performance in Darwin wouldn't disappoint me.

Was it dominant enough?

I guess with the split round they wont announce it until Tuesday week and it will seem years a go

They should do two rising stars in the split round

Drunken Bum
15-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Was it dominant enough?

I guess with the split round they wont announce it until Tuesday week and it will seem years a go

They should do two rising stars in the split round

i was under the understanding that there doesnt have to be just one per round and that it is possible to have two in the same round or even none if no one is worthy, am not 100% certain but i believe two players have been nominated in the one round before . Anyone know the actual rules on this?

edit, just took this from the NAB page "After each AFL Home & Away round, a player is nominated for the award and at the end of the AFL season. The all-Australian selection panel then chooses the winner from these nominees."

seems it is only one per round which i find ridiculous personally, if someone is worthy of being nominated they are worthy of being nominated, i do not see how having 2-3 players nominated in the 1st round or two and maybe having no nominations in some of the later rounds changes the award too much. What happens when a player has 3 good rounds early but there are some standout performances from other players those weeks and he doesnt get nominated, then he gets injured and doesnt play for the rest of the season? Is it fair that he doesnt get nominated and yet someone who has an average game in round 22 gets nominated because all the other eligible players have been nominated so they have to look for someone to nominate? Sure it doesnt change the result in anyway but i thought the award was about recognising talented youngsters. If you are worthy of a nomination you should be nominated whether 4 others get nominated that week or not.

knowitall
23-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Aaron Joseph is the Round 12 Rising Star nominee. Ward.. how stiff can you be?
Below is a list of nominations so far this season.

Sedat
23-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Aaron Joseph is the Round 12 Rising Star nominee. Ward.. how stiff can you be?
Below is a list of nominations so far this season.

Not too much to quibble about with the nominations thus far, with the glaring exception of 'Clanger' Barham in Round 4. Joseph has been terrific all season, and his ability to completely shut the dangerous Milne out of the game was a sensational effort for such a young player - it was Hargrave-esque. Irrespective, Ward can consider himself probably the unluckiest missed nominee in the award's history, with 33 possessions, double-figure contested possessions, multiple tackles and clearances, and a goal into the bargain. Round 4 should have been the week that one of Joseph and/or Ziebell been nominated for their consistency up to that point in a round where there were no standout performances.

By the way, many thanks to those of you that gave your good wishes with regard to our new arrival. Lady Sedat and Junior Sedat are both doing extremely well - and Junior is currently batting 2 for 2 so far with the Dogs since his arrival. Haven't had much of a chance to log onto 'woof' the last couple of weeks but will be making up for lost time.

The Coon Dog
30-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Essendon's Tayte Pears is the Round 13 NAB Rising Star Nominee. He played really well on Fev on Friday night, so no real surprise there.

The Pie Man
30-06-2009, 12:08 PM
No real surprise, except that they're not rewarding consistent effort which was one theory as to why Ward hadn't been nominated.

comrade
30-06-2009, 12:23 PM
No real surprise, except that they're not rewarding consistent effort which was one theory as to why Ward hadn't been nominated.

Pears has had a good year, especially as a young KPD.

Go_Dogs
30-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Pears has had a good year, especially as a young KPD.

Agreed, been a good performer.

I hope come seasons end Ward figures pretty highly in the competition. The year that Pearce won the award Mark Williams was very vocal in the media about the standard of work Pearce had been doing, and doing it well playing midfield. Ward has a few competitors, but besides perhaps Rich not many have matched Ward for toughness and ability to win the contested ball in close.

The Coon Dog
07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Jack Grimes from Melbourne is the Round 14 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Ward has to play at least 10 decent games before he gets a nomination.

Mantis
07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Ward has to play at least 10 decent games before he gets a nomination.

In fairness his last 2 haven't been that great whereas Grimes has been very consistent (as evidenced by his supercoach scores... been a nice addition to my side.;) )

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Ward looks like he is 50+ gamer already compared to some of the other flash in the pans.

hujsh
09-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Ward looks like he is 50+ gamer already compared to some of the other flash in the pans.

He needs more impact on the stats sheet to get an nomination IMO. People who don't watch our games will judge him purely by the numbers next to his name

mighty_west
09-07-2009, 04:29 PM
He needs more impact on the stats sheet to get an nomination IMO. People who don't watch our games will judge him purely by the numbers next to his name

If that was the case, then he was EXTREMELY stiff to miss out after the Port game, Joseph whilst also looking promising, had no where near the same amount of stats as young Callan, it was also a super impressive game as well, and not just stats, plus a good month or so before that game.

Sedat
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
IE: he needs to collect 28 handball receives off half back and dish off inconsequential possessions to nearby stationery targets - so long as these possessions hit the target he will be credited with a 'terrific' game by the cretins in the media

I hope Ward continues to gather 16 hard-won possessions in heavy traffic and half a dozen tackles every week for the rest of the season - if that means no RS nomination I couldnt give a toss.

hujsh
11-07-2009, 03:07 PM
IE: he needs to collect 28 handball receives off half back and dish off inconsequential possessions to nearby stationery targets - so long as these possessions hit the target he will be credited with a 'terrific' game by the cretins in the media

I hope Ward continues to gather 16 hard-won possessions in heavy traffic and half a dozen tackles every week for the rest of the season - if that means no RS nomination I couldnt give a toss.

That's a pretty good way of looking at it.

Scorlibo
11-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Liked Ward's game, didn't make a mistake and lead the way in some instances with his cleanliness in disposal and good decisions to bring it into the corridor. That mark running back with it was courageous, he also laid 5 tackles. Not the ideal performance for a Nom. but it was all quality with those 14 touches which is very pleasing.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 11:00 PM
You never know, Ward might get it.

They also select the players based on weeks of good performances.

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 11:54 PM
From what I saw today of the Richmond game, Jayden Post did some nice things & took a ripping mark, even his team mate Tyrone Vickery did some nice things too.

Polkinhorne at Brisbane looked good in the limited vision I saw.

Go_Dogs
12-07-2009, 09:33 AM

What I'd like to see is the hard stuff rewarded and noticed. But I'd be asking way too much. ;)

Happy Days
13-07-2009, 01:52 AM
No absolute standouts this week, may be time to reward a consistent performer ;).

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 03:08 AM

Or wear a Collingwood jumper. Then, it wouldn't matter if more than 3/4 of your 20 possessions in your first and only game for the year resulted in turnovers, because you "displayed some serious ball winning potential", and thus is worthy of a RS nomination.

This has been the most rubbish award handed out for some time now. I doubt Callan could give a toss who wins this.

azabob
13-07-2009, 07:49 PM
From what I saw today of the Richmond game, Jayden Post did some nice things & took a ripping mark, even his team mate Tyrone Vickery did some nice things too.

Polkinhorne at Brisbane looked good in the limited vision I saw.

With Liam Jurrah doing a few nice things he may get the nod.

The Coon Dog
13-07-2009, 07:51 PM
With Liam Jurrah doing a few nice things he may get the nod.
Yeah & his 4 goals won't hurt either.

The Coon Dog
14-07-2009, 09:57 AM
A second consecutive Demon wins a Rising Star nomination. Hardly a surprise with Liam Jarrah receiving this weeks nomination.

After 15 rounds, the following players have received the weekly nomination:

Who are likely to be top 3 based on those nominated so far?

For mine, Daniel Rich, Patrick Dangerfield & Stephen Hill.

Bulldog Revolution
14-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Rich looks the clear winner at this stage

Otten and Geary have been pretty good fly under the radar types

I haven't seen as much of Dangerfield and Hill as the season has progressed - have they fallen away?

Go_Dogs
14-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Rich looks the clear winner at this stage

Otten and Geary have been pretty good fly under the radar types

I haven't seen as much of Dangerfield and Hill as the season has progressed - have they fallen away?

Dangerfield was nearly BOG on the weekend.

soupman
14-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Dangerfield was nearly BOG on the weekend.

From the clips I saw he was very impressive. Great physique.

bornadog
14-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah & his 4 goals won't hurt either.

Picks up 12 disposals and 4 goals and gets nominated. Ward picks up 33 disposals - nothing. The previous week kicks 3 goals and 18 disposals - nothing.

I am convinced its all based on favourites.

mighty_west
14-07-2009, 04:04 PM
A second consecutive Demon wins a Rising Star nomination. Hardly a surprise with Liam Jarrah receiving this weeks nomination.

After 15 rounds, the following players have received the weekly nomination:

1 - Rich
2 - Dangerfield
3 - Otten

Let's hope Ward gets his nomination sometime soon, but the clear winner will be Rich, he is so far ahead of the pack it's not funny.

bornadog
14-07-2009, 04:17 PM
1 - Rich
2 - Dangerfield
3 - Otten

Let's hope Ward gets his nomination sometime soon, but the clear winner will be Rich, he is so far ahead of the pack it's not funny.

Agree with your picks. Isn't Rich a beautiful kick of the footy.

hujsh
15-07-2009, 06:46 PM
What about Grimes?

Don't watch Melb games but his stats have been great.

Happy Days
15-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Will Be: Rich, Dangerfield, Hill

Should Be: Rich, Pears, Otten

The Coon Dog
21-07-2009, 08:54 PM
The round 16 NAB Rising Star Nominee is Chris Masten from the West Coast Eagles.

Happy Days
21-07-2009, 08:57 PM
The round 16 NAB Rising Star Nominee is Chris Masten from the West Coast Eagles.

Probably a fair call, was very good.

The Coon Dog
28-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Collingwood's Dayne Beams becomes the 3rd Magpie to receive a NAB Rising Star Nomination after being recognised in round 17.

GVGjr
02-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't mind betting that Ward gets nominated this week.

The Pie Man
02-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't mind betting that Ward gets nominated this week.

Thought the same thing, though what chance is Stack of being nominated instead? Rocco will lose his mind :D

The Coon Dog
02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
If Jayden Post has another good game he could well receive a nomination.

Scorlibo
02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
If Jayden Post has another good game he could well receive a nomination.

As much as I like Jayden Post, I will spit the dummy big time if Ward doesn't get nominated this week - long overdue.

mjp
02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
The battle of the Jets! I am excited!

Mantis
04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
I heard last night that Ward will get the nod this week.

GVGjr
04-08-2009, 08:59 AM

And so he should. I thought it was a quality game he played and coupled with some other strong performances during the season he is overdue for the nomination.

Desipura
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
And you heard correctly, Ward will be nominated tonight as the rising star for this week!

aker39
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/81968/default.aspx

Rising Star could be Ward's award

But for Bulldog Callan Ward, his nomination has been the result of a consistent season rather than one or two flashy games.

That is not to undersell Ward’s impressive performance against Fremantle on the weekend, as wiith 22 disposals and two goals he was one of the Dogs’ best in the win.

It just happened to be the latest of a series of consistent performances for the young Bulldog who still says the nomination is not overdue.

“There are quite a lot of good players out there so I’m not surprised at all," Ward said.

"I guess I knew that if I kept playing consistently, which I think I have been over the last eight or 10 weeks the chance would come and it has.”

Ward played six games last year as he juggled football with Year 12 VCE commitments.

He was tipped by many to be a candidate for this year’s award and he admits his football has improved without having to also focus on schooling.

“Getting the full pre-season at the start of the year has helped with fitness," Ward said. "Last year I didn’t do the whole pre-season and I feel more confident now in running out games.

“This year I’ve had a lot more time to work on my own game, to man up on other guys and talk to the coaches about how to improve my game.”

One of the men working closely with the 19-year-old is Bulldogs midfield coach Leon Cameron.

Cameron has been named as a potential senior coach in waiting and Ward can’t speak highly enough of his football knowledge.

“I have a review with him [Cameron] every Monday or Tuesday after the game and I go through the edits," Ward said. "He helps me out a fair bit with how I can improve on my game.

“He has been a fantastic assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs. I’d love to keep him as an assistant here but if he wants to move on and take the opportunity to be a senior coach I’m sure he would be a fantastic senior coach.

"He is pretty well respected around the club so he has been fantastic to me especially and to everyone.”

Ward has played 15 of 18 games this season but he is unlikely to be complacent about his spot in the side any time soon.

“I’ve played nine or 10 games in a row now so I do feel a bit more settled but there is always pressure from down below at VFL level,” he said.

“I know there are probably five or six players in the VFL now who could easily take my spot. The competition is probably a good thing and puts pressure on us.”

Ward grew up in Williamstown in the heart of Bulldogs territory but he is only a recent convert to the red, white and blue, having barracked for Essendon right up until he was drafted with pick 19 in the 2007 draft.

“When you walk in to the club after you get drafted you turn into a Western Bulldog supporter straight away and you don’t think about Essendon as much,” he said.

“I guess it was pretty easy for me because I grew up in the Western Bulldogs area so it wasn’t too hard.”

bornadog
04-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Ward deserves his nomination, has been very good this year

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Ward deserves his nomination, has been very good this year

Agreed,

Another huge pre-season should really help him continue to push forward

The great thing is Cal does not need to be taught how to put his head over the ball, or how to find the footy - The kid is just always in the action.

Go_Dogs
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Had a very good year and finally gets the nomination.

Hopefully he continues on, because he adds a lot and could play in a variety of positions.

strebla
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
It took time but very deserving unlike a few who have preceeded him I still rate Rich as favorite but Cal will go close.

aker39
04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
It took time but very deserving unlike a few who have preceeded him I still rate Rich as favorite but Cal will go close.

No he won't.

Every person that votes for that award will give Rich 3 votes.

Mantis
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
No he won't.

Every person that votes for that award will give Rich 3 votes.

They vote (I think they still do) using the 5-4-3-2-1 scale, Rich will get all 5's. Callan might sneak a couple of 2's & 1's.

DOG GOD
04-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Well done Wardy, much deserved.

aker39
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Rich will get all 5's.

When I posted it I thought that may have been the case, but my point is Rich will get the maximum votes possible.

LostDoggy
04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Agreed,

Another huge pre-season should really help him continue to push forward

The great thing is Cal does not need to be taught how to put his head over the ball, or how to find the footy - The kid is just always in the action.

So true, he shows alot of courage for his age and is certainly not afraid to put his head over the ball and put his body on the line. Congratulations, the nomination is well deserved! :)

bornadog
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
So true, he shows alot of courage for his age and is certainly not afraid to put his head over the ball and put his body on the line. Congratulations, the nomination is well deserved! :)

Talking to a Willi assistant the other week, he said he played with Cals father at Yarraville in the old VFA days. Said his old man was tough as nails and Cal certainly has taken after him.

Dazza
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I think we have an exciting group coming through with alot of hard as nails players. Callan Ward is definately one of them but has the skills to back it up. Is becoming one of those rare inside and outside types.

The Coon Dog
04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
So far, who would be your 5,4,3,2, & 1 go to?

Mine would be:

5. Daniel Rich
4. Jack Grimes
3. Callan Ward
2. Patrick Dangerfield
1. Stephen Hill

Go_Dogs
04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
So far, who would be your 5,4,3,2, & 1 go to?

Mine would be:

5. Daniel Rich
4. Jack Grimes
3. Callan Ward
2. Patrick Dangerfield
1. Stephen Hill

I'd drop out Hill, put Otten at 3 and move Cal and Patrick down one spot.

Pretty good list of players this year - it's going to be a fairly close competition I imagine.

Happy Days
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
5. Rich
4. Grimes
3. Ward
2. Otten
1. Pears

Scorlibo
04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
5 - Rich
4 - Grimes
3 - Pears
2 - Ward
1 - Otten

strebla
04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
5-Rich
4-Beams
3-Ward
2-Hill
1-Otten
I also think Jurrah would have featured at around 1 or 2 had he not been injured.

boydogs
04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
5. Rich
4. Grimes
3. Beams
2. Otten
1. Ward

jazzadogs
05-08-2009, 12:04 AM
5-Rich
4-Beams
3-Ward
2-Hill
1-Otten
I also think Jurrah would have featured at around 1 or 2 had he not been injured.
Jurrah's only played 3-4 games?!?

lemmon
05-08-2009, 12:51 AM
5. Rich
4.Otten
3.Beams
2.Ward
1.Ziebell

TwiceBitten
05-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Liked Cal's confidence to beat Aker (of all people) in grabbing ball for goal shot!!

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/198158

LostDoggy
05-08-2009, 12:37 PM
5. Daniel Rich
4. Callan Ward
3. Jack Grimes
2. Andy Otten
1. Jack Ziebell

The Adelaide Connection
06-08-2009, 01:16 AM
About time he got nomintated. The bloke has been desperately unlucky that he continually gets upstaged. I thought after the game on the weekend that knowing his luck Stack would get the nomination this week.

5, Rich
4, Grimes
3, Ward
2, Otten
1, Hill

Think Ziebell would have featured if not for the injury.

The Coon Dog
11-08-2009, 04:05 PM
West Coast's Mitch Brown is the round 19 NAB Rising Star nominee. The first Eagle this season.

Happy Days
11-08-2009, 05:40 PM
West Coast's Mitch Brown is the round 19 NAB Rising Star nominee. The first Eagle this season.

Didn't Masten get it a few weeks ago?

West Coast are going to be dead set scary in a few years. There calibre of young kids is top notch.

LostDoggy
11-08-2009, 05:45 PM

West Coast are going to be dead set scary in a few years. There calibre of young kids is top notch.

'Tank' you very much. There were never really a bottom 4 side.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Add another top 5 pick this year and watch out. It was always going to happen for the picks they got for Judd plus Kennedy and it will be intersting to see if anyone goes after Kerr or Cox. That could load them up with even more top picks this year. They could be completely unstoppable in 3 years if either were traded for top picks as they could almost field an entire team of first and second round players.

The Coon Dog
11-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Yes he did, so I guess that makes Mitch Brown the 2nd Eagle this season. Thanks HD for that. :o

bulldogtragic
11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes he did, so I guess that makes Mitch Brown the 2nd Eagle this season. Thanks HD for that. :o
We should try to trade for that Mitch Brown.

mighty_west
11-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Why would WC want to trade off an exciting young tall, and what type deal would get him over this way?

bulldogtragic
11-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Why would WC want to trade off an exciting young tall, and what type deal would get him over this way?
You never know what can happen at trade time, it's a funny time. He may be home sick, we could rate him very highly. Who knows for sure. But if for some reason he became a possibility, and the new window is 2011, 2012 - then perhaps someone fromm the late 90's, ealry 00's could be offered. That would include a list of plyers including Murphy, Gia, Hahn, Gilbee, Hargrave etc. Or perhaps someone who hasn't quite hit expectation, others in other threads have mentioned Griffen. WCE needs some experience to go with raw youthful talent. Just saying, that's all :)

The Coon Dog
11-08-2009, 06:15 PM

We did, last season, but he re-signed with the Eagles.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2009, 06:21 PM
We did, last season, but he re-signed with the Eagles.
Really??? Shame we didn't get him, looks a likely sort.

Happy Days
11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
'Tank' you very much. There were never really a bottom 4 side.

That is true, but even when they were up the top, they were able to recruit very well.

Go_Dogs
12-08-2009, 09:51 AM
That is true, but even when they were up the top, they were able to recruit very well.

Agreed.

For some reason can't get the AFL site to load up at the moment, but guys like Hurn (taken after Higgins) are good examples.

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 03:54 PM
More to do with the West Coast 'culture' than anything.

mighty_west
12-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Agreed.

For some reason can't get the AFL site to load up at the moment, but guys like Hurn (taken after Higgins) are good examples.

Was a bit oif a suprise that Hurn dropped so low in that draft, he was the highest rated SA kid as was rated in the top 5 at the time, he pretty much fell in their lap on draft day, a bit like Daniel Rich, was always rated top 3, all the way up until draft day itself, and slipped to pick 7.

The Coon Dog
18-08-2009, 07:05 PM
No surprise after his game on the weekend that Michael Hurley of Essendon was the round 20 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

azabob
18-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Should this award be based on who has had the best year consitantly or who has captured the imagination and could be anything? Such as Jarrah who probably has the most upside of all the nominations.

Im sure if Hurely hadn't been injured, Rich wouldn't be the clear cut favourite.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2009, 07:24 PM
No surprise after his game on the weekend that Michael Hurley of Essendon was the round 20 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

Looks a very good pick up.

Scorlibo
18-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Should this award be based on who has had the best year consitantly or who has captured the imagination and could be anything? Such as Jarrah who probably has the most upside of all the nominations.

Im sure if Hurely hadn't been injured, Rich wouldn't be the clear cut favourite.

There is no way Liam Jurrah has the most upside of any nominee, conversely I think he perhaps has the least. A few good leaps doesn't make a player.

Well done to Hurley, he will be a beauty.

anfo27
18-08-2009, 07:38 PM

This kid is a gun, why can't we get get a kid like that?

Happy Days
18-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Looks as impressive forward as he does back. The kid is Chris Grant mach 2.

The Pie Man
18-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Looks as impressive forward as he does back. The kid is Chris Grant mach 2.

Less skills, more %*&$

Which can be just as effective, if not more so - he's a real competitor

azabob
18-08-2009, 09:07 PM
This kid is a gun, why can't we get get a kid like that?

I'll bite; because we had pick 14 and not pick 5 for a start.
Our kids may well be good, he appears to have the body for AFL already.

The Coon Dog
25-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Nic Suban from Fremantle is the round 21 NAB Rising Star nominee.

Happy Days
25-08-2009, 04:47 PM

This kid is going to be special.

One of the best long kicks in the league already. Lindsay Gilbee with Sam Reid's body.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I like the kid. Great kick and very good inside and outside.

Between he and BamBam we are seeing kicking skills being highlighted. With the game the way it is, their skills are in high demand.

Still BamBam will win this in a canter.

mighty_west
25-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Still BamBam will win this in a canter.

Yeah Rich has by far been the best of the players selected this season, and anyone who thinks otherwise is really kidding themselves.

Big_Willba
25-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah Rich has by far been the best of the players selected this season, and anyone who thinks otherwise is really kidding themselves.

i 2nd that. he was always going to step sraight into senior footy but to have the impact he has had, even to attract a tag in his first year is crazy. once he gets super fit he is gunna be a superstar.

Mantis
25-08-2009, 07:16 PM
This kid is going to be special.

One of the best long kicks in the league already. Lindsay Gilbee with Sam Reid's body.

He was one of the few midfielders that we were really keen on from last years draft. If he had been around for our 2nd rd picks I am pretty sure we would have picked him up.

The Coon Dog
31-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Sydney's Jesse White is the final 2009 NAB Rising Star Nomination.

Here is the list of all nominees.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Stack was robbed. That list is like a list full of Ben Johnson and Marion Jones records. Perhaps the best, but not in the spirit of things.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Geez, it's a great list. Has to be one of the best years for the Rising Star award that I can remember.

There are only a few names there that might not be household names in a few years, and the talent level....WOW.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Geez, it's a great list. Has to be one of the best years for the Rising Star award that I can remember.

There are only a few names there that might not be household names in a few years, and the talent level....WOW.

It is quite interesting..couple years after they get nominated some shine very bright.

In 2007 the following were rising stars and now you could say are in AA contention;

J. Selwood (AA 08)
Higgins (if he played more games)
Mitch Clark
Sam Gilbert
Le Cras

Lets hope Cal Ward AA 2010 or 11 :D

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 10:21 PM
How impressive was Hurley this season and also in the pressure cooker on the weekend against the Hawks? He won't catch Rich but I'd have him right up there in the best Rising Star players.

azabob
31-08-2009, 10:23 PM
How impressive was Hurley this season and also in the pressure cooker on the weekend against the Hawks? He won't catch Rich but I'd have him right up there in the best Rising Star players.

I totally agree. I would give him votes ahead of Rich.

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I totally agree. I would give him votes ahead of Rich.

Hurley was pick 5 in the draft and has all the Bombers supporters buzzing whilst we are still waiting to see what Grant is capable of.

BTW, Hurley shouldn't catch Rich.

anfo27
31-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Sydney's Jesse White is the final 2009 NAB Rising Star Nomination.

Here is the list of all nominees.

If we could get anyone from this list to the dogs next year it would be Hurley.

azabob
31-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Hurley was pick 5 in the draft and has all the Bombers supporters buzzing whilst we are still waiting to see what Grant is capable of.

BTW, Hurley shouldn't catch Rich.

I guess I look at the rising star a bit different to how most do. I look at it who has had the most impact in the games they played and what they will offer in the coming years.
But it appears that they way the award is voted on is who played the most games normally gets the most votes.

On Grant do you get the impression Eade is now hosing down expectation on him. Reading between the lines in latest edition of the bulldog mag he is putting Grant in the same catagory of Cordy body wise so even next year we shouldn't expect to see him play senior footy.

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 10:40 PM
On Grant do you get the impression Eade is now hosing down expectation on him. Reading between the lines in latest edition of the bulldog mag he is putting Grant in the same catagory of Cordy body wise so even next year we shouldn't expect to see him play senior footy.

Quite a back flip with Eade's assessment on Grant from the start of the year until now. He was confident he was going to play a lot of senior football this year but in the end he sneaked in for one game and has been playing reserves football. I'm a patient guy but it's frustrating to see some players ripping it up and Grant struggling.

jazzadogs
31-08-2009, 11:05 PM
How many games did Hurley actually play? I would have thought that games played comes into it fairly strongly as well...Rich playing consistently in all 22 deserves all the recognition he gets.

GVGjr
31-08-2009, 11:34 PM
How many games did Hurley actually play? I would have thought that games played comes into it fairly strongly as well...Rich playing consistently in all 22 deserves all the recognition he gets.

9 games

Mantis
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
9 games

So he would be a short priced favourite to win the award next year?

aker39
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
So he would be a short priced favourite to win the award next year?

Will his 10th game this week rule him out of next years award, or is the rule 10 or less games.

Can't see him playing an 11th game this year.

The Coon Dog
01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Will his 10th game this week rule him out of next years award, or is the rule 10 or less games.

Can't see him playing an 11th game this year.

10 or fewer (see the OP).

Scorlibo
01-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Where do we see Callan finishing?

I think he's deserving of a top 5 finish, but the clowns that give the votes will probably not take notice of him all that much and he'll end up 9th or something.

Mitcha
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't think Kevin Bartlett has ever heard of Callan Ward so no votes there.

mighty_west
01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
How i see it, if i had a vote:

5 - Daniel Rich [no brainer]
4 - Patrick Dangerfield
3 - Callan Ward
2 - Michael Hurley
1 - Andy Otten

Ziebell stiff due to injury, he is also going to be a ripper.

The Coon Dog
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
5 - Daniel Rich
4 - Tayte Pears
3 - Callan Ward
2 - Jack Grimes
1 - Michael Hurley

mighty_west
01-09-2009, 08:11 PM
5 - Daniel Rich
4 - Tayte Pears
3 - Callan Ward
2 - Jack Grimes
1 - Michael Hurley

I just get the feeling that, apart from Rich who all will give top votes to, it's an open field for the other positions, more open than any other year.

boydogs
01-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Ward wasn't even in the top 5 on this preview - I think he will sneak in though

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/83920/default.aspx

bornadog
01-09-2009, 11:39 PM

Its all based on media darlings once more. If you look at the stats comparing Rich and Ward there isnot much in it, and we know that Ward has been a fantastic player this year, winning his own ball. His only crtiticism from the coach is he needs to get more of the uncontested ball.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/players.jpg

LostDoggy
02-09-2009, 12:47 PM
i think beams is also in the mix. Mainly bc he plays for a "big" team. I really think ward is a more complete player than many others mentioned and likely to play a bigger role in finals than others.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Its all based on media darlings once more. If you look at the stats comparing Rich and Ward there isnot much in it, and we know that Ward has been a fantastic player this year, winning his own ball. His only crtiticism from the coach is he needs to get more of the uncontested ball.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/players.jpg
Ward should be in the mix when you look at those stats. Very impressive year from Cal.

The Coon Dog
02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Votes:

Daniel Rich 45
Andy Otten 30
Tayte Pears 28
Dayne Beams 10
Stephen Hill 9
Callan Ward 9
Patrick Dangerfield 4

What do the last 3 winners all have in common (J. Selwood, R. Palmer & D. Rich)?

Happy Days
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Votes:

Daniel Rich 45
Andy Otten 30
Tayte Pears 28
Dayne Beams 10
Stephen Hill 9
Callan Ward 9
Patrick Dangerfield 4

What do the last 3 winners all have in common (J. Selwood, R. Palmer & D. Rich)?

All taken at pick 7 ;)

About what I expected, switch Cal and Beams and it's bang on.

Does this mean Rich was a unanimous choice (got 5 from everyone)?

mighty_west
02-09-2009, 04:00 PM
All taken at pick 7 ;)

About what I expected, switch Cal and Beams and it's bang on.

Does this mean Rich was a unanimous choice (got 5 from everyone)?

Yes.

mighty_west
02-09-2009, 04:03 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84034/default.aspx

Selectors’ votes
Andrew Demetriou
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Andy Otten
3- Dayne Beams
2- Tayte Pears
1 – Callan Ward

Adrian Anderson
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Tayte Pears
3 – Dayne Beams
2 – Andy Otten
1 – Stephen Hill

James Hird
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Tayte Pears
3 – Stephen Hill
2 – Andy Otten
1 – Dayne Beams

Kevin Bartlett
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Tayte Pears
3 – Andy Otten
2 – Patrick Dangerfield
1 – Callan Ward

Mark Riccuito
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Andy Otten
3 – Dayne Beams
2 – Tayte Pears
1 – Patrick Dangerfield

Gerard Healy
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Andy Otten
3 – Tayte Pears
2 – Stephen Hill
1 – Patrick Dangerfield

Glen Jakovich
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Andy Otten
3 – Callan Ward
2 – Tayte Pears
1 – Stephen Hill

Kevin Sheehan
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Andy Otten
3 – Tayte Pears
2 – Callan Ward
1 – Stephen Hill

Robert Walls
5 – Daniel Rich
4 – Tayte Pears
3 – Andy Otten
2 – Callan Ward
1 – Stephen Hill

G-Mo77
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Ward is pretty unlucky not to poll more. I may be biased but I'd have him above well Beams and Hill. Honestly don't know much about Otten so won't coment to much about that and I think Pears is way overrated by some of the voters.

If we had the media coverage of a team like Collingwood or Essendon I have no doubt that Ward would be an outright 3rd or even 2nd.

GVGjr
02-09-2009, 05:01 PM

I think he got 2 off KB.

Dogs 24/7
02-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I think he got 2 off KB.

1 vote of KB.

Has Pears really been that good?

anfo27
02-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Ward is a bit stiff, i think he is way ahead of Beams & Hill.

GVGjr
02-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Ward is a bit stiff, i think he is way ahead of Beams & Hill.

Couldn't agree more. Hill is silky smooth and a player to watch but Ward has had a vastly better season and Beames did well but once again I think Ward was more productive.

I hope I'm not just looking at this from the Bulldogs perspective.

Pedro Sanchez
02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
I think Ward coming 5th is about right. He's been consistent throughout the season and continues to show great improvement. I think he's a guy destined to continue improving as well - he'll be a star for us so this result for me doesnt really matter in the long run.

hujsh
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Who cares who Demitriou and Bartlett think are better players now. As long as Ward is better in the long run no one will look back on where he finished in the rising star.