PDA

View Full Version : Tom Williams signs on with the Gold Coast!

Cyberdoggie
01-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Just confirmed on SEN that injury prone Bulldog defender Tom Williams has signed on as an uncontracted player with the new Gold Coast side.
Tom who is originally from Queensland, and is the son of former Rugby League champ Steve Williams (co-founder of the Brisbane Broncos) is said to be delighted at the chance to play in his native state, and has signed on as the first uncontracted player with the Gold Coast Sharks. :eek:

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Ha Ha .

aker39
I also heard that the AFL is awarding Chris Grant a retrospective Brownlow Medal.

Go_Dogs
I just had to check the date. Nearly had me. Haha

soupman
01-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Despite realising this isn't true, the shock provided by the title should be punishable by death.

bornadog
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Good lets get rid of him, sick of the injuries and babying we have done over the past few years. Lets get McDougall back to take CHB:D

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
You had me cyber....mongrel!! I can't believe it's April 1 already....wasn't it just xmas last week?

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I took that hook, line and sinker. Cruel, Cyberdoggie, very cruel.

craigsahibee
01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Seriously though, when does his current contract expire? With the amount of time and effort the club has put into Tom, do we class him as an "untouchable" until his next contract ends?

It will be interesting to see what advances the Gold Coast make towards our Queenslanders (Mitch Hahn and Sam Reid)

bornadog
01-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Seriously though, when does his current contract expire? With the amount of time and effort the club has put into Tom, do we class him as an "untouchable" until his next contract ends?

It will be interesting to see what advances the Gold Coast make towards our Queenslanders (Mitch Hahn and Sam Reid)

and Mulligan

hujsh
01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Is it even possible?

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Good chance to trade Hahn for a good draft pick. Maybe someone like Minson or Boyd could be moved on to free up room on the salary cap and 'protect' our top liners.

Big Will
01-04-2009, 10:55 PM
On a more serious note... Should we be worried about Scott Clayton being the GC17 recruiting officer??? Will it have more of an impact on our club assuming he knows our players better than others?

Dancin' Douggy
01-04-2009, 11:36 PM
that just hurt, even scarred me too much to appreciate the humour. Please don't hurt me on the inside like that ever EVER again.

GetDimmaBack
01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Good chance to trade Hahn for a good draft pick. Maybe someone like Minson or Boyd could be moved on to free up room on the salary cap and 'protect' our top liners.

Good thinking, Jerry.

...now why hasn't the club approached you for a list management job?:rolleyes:

AndrewP6
01-04-2009, 11:51 PM
GOOD GOD I fell for that one. BIG TIME... bloody hell that's twice I've been had today! First thing this morning, a guy at work told me my headlights were smashed in...glad I'm not alone though!

Cyberdoggie
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
HeHe,

sorry if i caused any minor heart attacks out there.

I took a look at the forum and couldn't believe no one had come up with a April fool's thread.

On one hand i was thinking about tom foolery, but on the other i am also wondering what will happen. Clayton's position is a concern, and if we have any success in the coming years, the attention on our players will be higher and they will no doubt be looking for more money.

It is a concern, we could go either of 2 ways. Start signing up players to long term contracts, and the risks associated with that (ie long term injury, etc), or we can wait and risk loosing players to the G.C. if they go in search of cash.

Perhaps Nathan Brown might leave Richmond for the G.C, I could see him stating in the press conference that he "wants to play finals".

Mofra
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
GC17 have said they aren't looking for players in their late 20s so a few examples thrown around here & in the media aren't likely to come to fruition. Hahn is likely to stay IMO: Reid & Williams would no doubt be on the Clayton radar.

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 04:48 PM
..Perhaps Nathan Brown might leave Richmond for the G.C, I could see him stating in the press conference that he "wants to play finals".

Probably have a better chance there compared to his current employer.

Cyberdoggie
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Probably have a better chance there compared to his current employer.

I think there is plenty of reasons why it's good to finish 9th every year.

*You weren't the worst team in the comp so you got to have a few wins for the year
*You stay out of the media spotlight because you are neither fantastic or poor
*Middle of the road means you can just blend in the background
*No one can take you seriously so you can get away with more
*You get 4 weeks more holidays every year, and you get paid the same.
*You finish top of the second half of the ladder!
*If there was a second division championship you would be number 1

ok i've doubled up a little but i was enjoying it.

LostDoggy
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
*You stay out of the media spotlight because you are neither fantastic or poor

Unless you have a huge, suffering, and very vocal supporter base that won't let you stay out of the media spotlight.

*You get 4 weeks more holidays every year, and you get paid the same.

You get paid more to play finals. It's written into your contract as a performance bonus. There are also bonuses the further you make it into September, and for winning the GF.

Remi Moses
03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Knowing the poor guys history he would have broken his fingers signing the new contract.