PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 Match Preview: Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne

bornadog
01-04-2009, 11:49 AM
This game has been marked down as a thank you for our emergency services personnel with 30,000 free tickets available.

Head to Head

North have won the past 5 clashes and we have to go back four years to round 8 2005 for the last Bulldogs win, although Brad Johnston could have won the game for the Dogs in round 9 2008 with a kick after the siren.

Round 19, 10 Aug 2008 Docklands Stadium North defeats WB 136-116
Round 9, 25 May 2008 Docklands Stadium WB defeated by North 110-113
Round 22, 2 Sep 2007 Docklands Stadium WB defeated by North 93-157
Round 13, 1 Jul 2007 MCG North defeats W B 111-85
Round 14, 9 Jul 2006 MCG WB defeated by North 82-94
Round 8, 14 May 2005 Docklands Stadium North defeated by WB 92-118

Form

Both teams come off a good win in round one, although Melbourne threatened an upset for the first three quarters before North put them away in the last quarter. The Bulldogs had to travel to the West and have a history of losing the following weeks games after travelling to Subiaco. The Bulldogs were the most impressive team in round one and the fitness factor will be tested this week.

Injury List

Western Bulldogs

Robert Murphy – conflicting reports in the media as to whether he is out for three more weeks or may play on Sunday - Test
Paul O’Shea (Hip) Indefinite
Chris Ogle (glandular fever) 4 weeks
Tim Callan
Easton Wood

North Melbourne

Matt Riggio (shin) 2 weeks
Jesse Smith (hamstring) 4-5 weeks
Liam Anthony (foot) 4-6 weeks

Key Match – ups

Petrie v Williams – On his day Petrie can be very damaging through his contested marking ability. Williams needs to ensure he doesn’t allow Petrie any leeway and needs to use his ability to read the play to nullify any effect Petrie can have on the game.

Rawlings v Griffen/Cooney – depending on who he picks up, Rawlings has the ability to tag players as well as gather high possessions.

Lake v Hale – Lake will have his hands full with the tall forward line as North will try and stretch the Bulldogs. McIntosh drifted down there a few times in round one and kicked a handy three goals.

X-Factor – North

Harvey seems to grow legs against the Bulldogs and rarely puts in a bad game and could be the difference in the end.

X-Factor – Western Bulldogs

Ryan Griffen set the game up last week against Fremantle with a blistering first quarter. North will find it hard to tag Griffen and if he can play a consistent four quarters, he may well be the most influential player on the ground.

The Verdict

Although North seemingly has the wood over the Bulldogs over the past few seasons, this outfit is much fitter and stronger than previous years. The Bulldogs midfield will be the difference in the end………….Dogs by 27 points

Mantis
01-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Good stuff bornadog.

Who goes to Harvey? As you pointed out the little prick always slays us. For me we have no real suitable match-up.

bornadog
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Good stuff bornadog.

Who goes to Harvey? As you pointed out the little prick always slays us. For me we have no real suitable match-up.

I wasn't sure who would go to him. I thought of Addison, but does he have the pace, Tim Callan???, or maybe even Harbrow who has played defensively in the past at Williamstown.

wimberga
01-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Must say after seieng the way that Rawlings has tormented west over the years, i almost feel like he will go to Cross or Boyd and not Griff/Coons, who they will prob play Ed Lower against.

Mantis
01-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Agree on the Addison call for Harvey. Harvey might have an edge in agility through the midfield, but I think Dylan could do a bit of physical damage to him when he gets the chance. I would think that if this match-up occurs Harvey will play out of the square and in that role I think he will be to good for Dylan.

I also like the idea of Harbrow being given the opportunity. Jarrod has all the physical attributes to compete in this role and would be a good opportunity for him to show another side of his game.

Even though we had a great win last round I think we still have to go horses for courses. If we feel Harbrow is the best match-up for Harvey we simply have to play him. Same goes for Callan on Campbell.

aker39
01-04-2009, 02:53 PM
If you read Brad Gotch's report on the bulldog website http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2007/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/74170/default.aspx, then Tim Callan will not be playing for the seniors this week.

bulldogsman
01-04-2009, 03:59 PM
If you read Brad Gotch's report on the bulldog website http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2007/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/74170/default.aspx, then Tim Callan will not be playing for the seniors this week.

It's time Liam Picken

bornadog
01-04-2009, 04:16 PM
It's time Liam Picken

Rookie, needs to be promoted and can only be promoted if some one on long term injury list, like O'Shea

From Gotch's report:

Rookie-listed midfielder Liam Picken took another step towards convincing the coaches to elevate him for the injured Paul O'Shea with a strong three-goal, 25-touch game.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 04:24 PM
He may not have the run, but didn't we play akermanis on him last year?? I would like to see if Harbrow can do a tagging job on Harvey, he has the pace and agility, but maybe not the size. North will block for him and Harvey is very strong in the tackle so the question is will Harbrow have the strength to perform this role. Fallbacks would be Addison and maybe Boyd??

Tough question!

bulldogsman
01-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Rookie, needs to be promoted and can only be promoted if some one on long term injury list, like O'Shea

From Gotch's report:

Rookie-listed midfielder Liam Picken took another step towards convincing the coaches to elevate him for the injured Paul O'Shea with a strong three-goal, 25-touch game.

I think this would be a perfect time to promote him especially since the kangaroo's smalls have troubled us.

Harvey vs Picken
Campbell vs Morris
Thomas vs Addison/Hargrave

Addison could very well play on Harvey, but would like to test Picken out. What do you think?

Rocket Science
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
We're generally so preoccupied with stopping opposition talls it hadn't dawned on me what a dearth of genuine small defenders we have. It's basically Callan, then Addison kind-of, and that's about it. Hargrave can and has played on small-ish forwards with mixed results, and while Harbrow might have the physical tools he's played very little if any backline footy at the top level.

If Callan's definitely out, could Akermanis be asked to do a backline job this week? He's usually been given those gigs as punishment or in an attempt to run himself back into form but it's not a position he's unfamiliar with.

As for that annoying runt Harvey, I hope Addison can acquit himself well enough because I'm not sure what plan B might be...we all remember how Eagleton fared in that role last season.

There's another answer of course...just don't let 'em have the footy.

bulldogsman
01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
He may not have the run, but didn't we play akermanis on him last year?? I would like to see if Harbrow can do a tagging job on Harvey, he has the pace and agility, but maybe not the size. North will block for him and Harvey is very strong in the tackle so the question is will Harbrow have the strength to perform this role. Fallbacks would be Addison and maybe Boyd??

Tough question!

How big is Harbrow's tank though?

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Surely Boyd is the best man for the job?

About the same speed as Addison or maybe a touch quicker, but stronger, more experienced and a bigger engine. He's shut down Kerr a few times, so I'd be sending him to Harvey.

They do match-up on us fairly well though. Harvey and Petrie regularly tear us a new one, but hopefully Williams can keep Petrie in check up forward and Boyd with Harvey through the middle. Their small forwards are a noteable danger too. I don't exactly rate NM as a top 6 side, but they do play us well.

Hudson/Minson have big jobs with the combo of McIntosh/Hale too.

bulldogsman
01-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Surely Boyd is the best man for the job?

About the same speed as Addison or maybe a touch quicker, but stronger, more experienced and a bigger engine. He's shut down Kerr a few times, so I'd be sending him to Harvey.

They do match-up on us fairly well though. Harvey and Petrie regularly tear us a new one, but hopefully Williams can keep Petrie in check up forward and Boyd with Harvey through the middle. Their small forwards are a noteable danger too. I don't exactly rate NM as a top 6 side, but they do play us well.

Hudson/Minson have big jobs with the combo of McIntosh/Hale too.

I'd put Boyd on Wells, he's there most damaging player.

Rocket Science
01-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I'd put Boyd on Wells, he's there most damaging player.

THEIR! (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4543)

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Obviously everyone has identified Harvey as a player that has repeatedly punished us

They have beaten us in the centre square and guys like Harris, Rawlings, Swallow have been allowed to have too much impact.

I have a high level of respect for the North coaching staff - Laidley has just the right amount of crazy to be a successful coach

I wonder if Corey Jones will be considered this week - he seems out of favour and was not selected in Round 1

bulldogsman
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
THEIR! (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4543)

Sorry! I am still in school.

ledge
01-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Then again we could go into the game with the positive attitude and let them worry about our players!
If your going to worry about tagging too many, it means your admitting they are too good for us where i think its the other way round.
Another point, they could have all the good crumming forwards they want but if we have the ball and are kicking the goals they arent getting it.
We are now good enough to say let them worry about us more than us worry about them as in the past.

Mantis
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Then again we could go into the game with the positive attitude and let them worry about our players!
If your going to worry about tagging too many, it means your admitting they are too good for us where i think its the other way round.
Another point, they could have all the good crumming forwards they want but if we have the ball and are kicking the goals they arent getting it.
We are now good enough to say let them worry about us more than us worry about them as in the past.

That's like saying we don't need a defence because the ball won't get down there.

You always need to be aware of the strengths of the opposition and have a plan to counter these strengths.

wimberga
01-04-2009, 11:10 PM
I say play our normal game, and chuck addison on harvey in a purely negating role. every other mid can have an opponent, tagging one player is enough. Well's is easy, a good solid bump early and he should be relatively easy to contain. On the other hand, we KNOW that harvey will have an impact if we let him. Addison gets first post, Rawlings will IMO go to Cross or maybe even Boyd after last week, and i think Ed Lower will work on one of Griff or Coons..

Will you heed the call, Higgins? This is your game

Dazza
01-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Definately. If Higgo and Gia fire we are well on the way to winning. How much game time would Cooney be looking at?

Dancin' Douggy
02-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Do you have to call it Etihad stadium when you're talking about a 2005 game?????
I find that pretty hard to take.
Seriously. It's almost nauseating.

If we just call it docklands we'll survive all the sponsors that come and go.......

Bumper Bulldogs
02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I say play our normal game, and chuck addison on harvey in a purely negating role. every Addison gets first post, Rawlings will IMO go to Cross or maybe even Boyd after last week, and i think Ed Lower will work on one of Griff or Coons...
I must say I would like to see Gilbee on Harvey and make him think about the best kick in the game running off him and slotting a couple of Goals. If we get them thinking of our game plan we will knock them off by 1/2 time.

Harbrow on Wells again play our game,

alwaysadog
02-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Do you have to call it Etihad stadium when you're talking about a 2005 game?????

If we just call it docklands we'll survive all the sponsors that come and go.......

I prefer Crocklands, because of the awful deal someone at the AFL negotiated on our behalf many years ago and which has about a millennia yet to run.

On the other hand I don't take exception to Doglands, solely because it is our home ground… and it seems we are just about paying for the place.

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 10:01 AM
How big is Harbrow's tank though?

Agreed, would be a massive effort for him to run the game with Harvey. Also his bulk would be a concern with players taking him out to free up Harvey. If he was to get the job and shut him down it could give him an extended run in the team. Watching him on the w/e against BH though, i feel he'll be left out.

ledge
02-04-2009, 02:41 PM
That's like saying we don't need a defence because the ball won't get down there.

You always need to be aware of the strengths of the opposition and have a plan to counter these strengths.

We need a defence but not one that has too many tagging,we need to be the first to the ball, not second and chasing tail.
In the past we werent as good as i believe we are now, its time the opposition worried about tagging us more than us worrying about tagging them.

And your first statement, well that would be awesome, hopefully it comes true!

I dont care how good you, are if the ball isnt around, you might as well be my grandmother in her rocking chair at home. Brown and Richo were perfect examples last week against Carlton. Great footballers but ball didnt go near them so they were null and void.
On that point, i remember as a player if the opposition had a good player you kept him out of the game by not kicking anywhere he was, even to the extent of his opponent making false leads to get him away from the play.
I dont think this happens a lot in AFL.
Admittedly this only works if your own player has the ball but it does limit his impression on the game.

Sockeye Salmon
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
On that point, i remember as a player if the opposition had a good player you kept him out of the game by not kicking anywhere he was, even to the extent of his opponent making false leads to get him away from the play.

This happens all the time at AFL level.

In the Sydney final last year, Adam Cooney had his dodgy knee. We knew that Jarrod McVeigh was going to tag him so Cooney was instructed to take McVeigh away from the ball at every opportunity.

We knew Cooney couldn't have much influence on the game because of his knee so we thought he may as well take their best onballer out with him. It worked a treat.

In the prelim, Scott Welsh was told to take Matthew Scarlett away from the ball as well.

Scraggers
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Great write up Bornadog ... but I'm not as confident as you ... I say Bulldogs by 8 points

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Just listening to the radio before - Daniel Harris & Corey Jones pushing for selection..which doesn't surprise me at all. They have had the wood over us for the last 5 games and going tall is how they've done it really.

So maybe there will be a change or two..whether Tim Callan is available..or we bring a tall in of our own with Skipper but in that case you would expect Everitt to stay in the side down back and maybe Ward to go out?

Mantis
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
We need a defence but not one that has too many tagging,we need to be the first to the ball, not second and chasing tail.
In the past we werent as good as i believe we are now, its time the opposition worried about tagging us more than us worrying about tagging them.

And your first statement, well that would be awesome, hopefully it comes true!

I dont care how good you, are if the ball isnt around, you might as well be my grandmother in her rocking chair at home. Brown and Richo were perfect examples last week against Carlton. Great footballers but ball didnt go near them so they were null and void.
I dont think this happens a lot in AFL.
Admittedly this only works if your own player has the ball but it does limit his impression on the game.

Without getting personal thats a load of tripe ledge.

Wells & Harvey regularly have field days against our team. We simply must pay them the respect they deserve. Yes we have players they have to worry about, but we cannot allow these 2 in particular to have a free run as the results will be there for all to see.

ledge
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Without getting personal thats a load of tripe ledge.

Wells & Harvey regularly have field days against our team. We simply must pay them the respect they deserve. Yes we have players they have to worry about, but we cannot allow these 2 in particular to have a free run as the results will be there for all to see.

You fail to see i said we dont need to tag too many my point being we are a better side than previous years and maybe dont need to tag as much as we used to.
I did not say dont tag any!

Mantis
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
You fail to see i said we dont need to tag too many my point being we are a better side than previous years and maybe dont need to tag as much as we used to.
I did not say dont tag any!

All the discussion in this thread about 'tagging' has been about keeping 2 players quiet - Harvey & Wells. I don't think tagging these 2 or playing run with players on them is classified as 'too many' tags.

There has also been some discussion about finiding suitable defensive match-up's for their small forwards. We aren't exactly blessed with a lot of quick & agile small defenders so I don't think that discussion is going overboard either.

Mofra
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
We can focus on their smalls, but I still shudder at Petrie's 5 goal first quarter effort against us in Archer's 300th. Worth giving Williams first crack at him?
Petrie is seen as a leader in waiting, can play as a power or leading forward, in the ruck, the guy is underrated IMO.

lemmon
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Shut down Petrie, Wells and Harvey. Petrie and Harvey will spend most of there time in the forward 50 so I'd like to see Lake go to Petrie and Morris go to Harvey. Im not sure Boyd has the pace to go with Wells so I'd go head to head against him with either Cooney or Griffen, we have to try and make Wells as accountable as possible.

Ozza
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I think if we have any issue in particular it may be the ruck division. I went to the North game on Sunday - and I'm a bit concerned about McIntosh's mobility and his ability to push forward and be dangerous. Particularly if Minson is on the ground - I think McIntosh may get the better of us - particularly as we have to match up Hale and Petrie up forward.

Its a very interesting match up game- particularly as North are playing an inexperienced backline with Hansen,Thompson and McMahon - and have Firrito playing up the ground.
In the past Watt, Firrito and Pratt have taken Johnson, Hahn and Welsh (or Welsh's equivalent before he was there) - it will be interesting to see how they line up with Firrito presumably up the ground and Watt unlikely to be picked. Especially when the big minnow is close to goal.

Mantis
02-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Team lists:

WESTERN BULLDOGS v NORTH MELBOURNE

Western Bulldogs
B: Dylan Addison, Brian Lake, Tom Williams
HB: Callan Ward, Dale Morris, Ryan Hargrave
C: Daniel Cross, Ryan Griffen, Josh Hill
HF: Lindsay Gilbee, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Daniel Giansiracusa, Will Minson, Jason Akermanis
Foll: Ben Hudson, Matthew Boyd, Shaun Higgins
I/C (from): Adam Cooney, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Jarrod Harbrow, Tim Callan, Stephen Tiller, Liam Picken

In: Harbrow, Picken, Callan
Out: -

New: Liam Picken (Williamstown)

North Melbourne
B: Daniel Pratt, Josh Gibson, Scott McMahon
HB: Michael Firrito, Scott Thompson, Leigh Harding
C: Daniel Wells, Adam Simpson, Lachlan Hansen
HF: Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Ed Lower
F: Lindsay Thomas, David Hale, Matt Campbell
Foll: Hamish McIntosh, Brady Rawlings, Sam Power
I/C (from): Daniel Harris, Andrew Swallow, Gavin Urquhart, Ben Ross, Josh Smith, Jack Ziebell, Todd Goldstein

In: Ross, Harris, Goldstein
Out: Nil

Mofra
02-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Lachie Hansen on a wing? I know teams never line up as per thier team sheet but this really is taking the piss.

I wonder if Will will spend more time forward this game as opposed to Freo where (possibly due to heat or player management) our rucks spent more time off the ground than during last season.

hujsh
02-04-2009, 06:11 PM

We could call it the Banana Republic if we felt like it really.

It's not like we're in the media

bornadog
02-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Team lists:

Western Bulldogs
I/C (from): Adam Cooney, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Jarrod Harbrow, Tim Callan, Stephen Tiller, Liam Picken

l

I thought he was injured??

bornadog
02-04-2009, 06:15 PM

I agree, changed to Docklands;)

azabob
02-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Team lists:

Western Bulldogs

North Melbourne
B: Daniel Pratt, Josh Gibson, Scott McMahon
HB: Michael Firrito, Scott Thompson, Leigh Harding
C: Daniel Wells, Adam Simpson, Lachlan Hansen
HF: Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Ed Lower
F: Lindsay Thomas, David Hale, Matt Campbell
Foll: Hamish McIntosh, Brady Rawlings, Sam Power
I/C (from): Daniel Harris, Andrew Swallow, Gavin Urquhart, Ben Ross, Josh Smith, Jack Ziebell, Todd Goldstein

In: Ross, Harris, Goldstein
Out: Nil

So its safe to say Picken will be playing, as why would they promote him from the rookie list.

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Really happy for Picken, guy has worked his butt off to get this chance.

bulldogsman
02-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Lachie Hansen on a wing? I know teams never line up as per thier team sheet but this really is taking the piss.

I've seen him play on the wing at VFL level. Would be good to see him and Everitt go head to head.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Nice preview BAD.

Should be an absolute cracker of a game. I'm confident that we've got the ability to get over them. Looks like there should be a few exciting match ups going around too.

Does Harbrow get a game this week? North have a lot of quick, small forwards, but not many quick small defenders.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Also, for all of us interstate viewers, we are again not getting a telecast, and no fox too as far as I can see.

http://www.afl.com.au/tvradio/broadcastguide/tabid/9451/default.aspx

ledge
02-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Also, for all of us interstate viewers, we are again not getting a telecast, and no fox too as far as I can see.

http://www.afl.com.au/tvradio/broadcastguide/tabid/9451/default.aspx

Hey its only a 7 hour drive , come over!

Go_Dogs
02-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey its only a 7 hour drive , come over!

I wish. I was actually planning on being over for this game, but given my current work/study obligations had to opt out.

I'm hoping to make it over for the Geelong game for my bday, and then around the end of July my schedule will free up a bit.

comrade
03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Nothing really enlightening or astute to add but geez I'd love to get a win over these blokes - I have an irrational hate for them that extends back to a grizzled North supporter's booming voice as he screamed into my ear "COME ON YOU ROO BOYS" as Petrie destroyed us.

LostDoggy
03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I have a good feeling about this game for two reasons...

1. I live in Sth Aus, have fox and still cant watch it live.
2. Sam Power

LostDoggy
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I have nothing to add either to the great preview - but I hope we can notch up a win against these guys for a change! Their height has always bothered us - does anyone know if the weather may be a little wet? I know tall guys don't get any shorter in the rain, but it does even up the playing ground a little. It will be a good measure on just how much better we are this year........it was a great win in the west, but one game does not maketh a season! After 45 years of following this wonderful, heart-breaking team, I remain positive in the extreme!

Sockeye Salmon
03-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Their height has always bothered us - does anyone know if the weather may be a little wet?

Forecast for Sunday

Partly cloudy. Isolated showers developing during the afternoon. Winds west to southwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h.

City
Shower or two developing.
Min 10
Max 20

mighty_west
03-04-2009, 06:01 PM
IN : Picken, Callan

OUT : Everitt, Tiller

LostDoggy
03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Thks for the weather forecast - may even us up a litte? Trying to remember the last wet game we played? (I think the memory is going :) My 2 greatest wet weather memories are Ted Whitten's last game against Hawthorn at Whitten Oval, and the very last game at WO - remember how we belted the Weagles!!! OMG I was soaked through but you couldn't keep the grin from my face :)

comrade
03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
IN : Picken, Callan

OUT : Everitt, Tiller

I'm suprised both Tiller and Everitt are out, especially with Goldstein added to North's 22.

The Underdog
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm suprised both Tiller and Everitt are out, especially with Goldstein added to North's 22.

Me suspects more hilarious selection shenanigans. For some reason we like to try this crap a lot. One of them will play.

comrade
03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Me suspects more hilarious selection shenanigans. For some reason we like to try this crap a lot. One of them will play.

Rocket's not really one for ducks and drakes though (last week a notable exception) - it seems Callan has made a miraculous recovery, if Brad Gotch's words meant anything.

Axe Man
03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey 'Magic Griffin' is your user name for Jonathan Griffin from the Crows, or perhaps Peter Griffin from Family Guy? Obviously it has nothing to do with Ryan Griffen?:rolleyes:

Axe Man
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM

North have dropped Josh Smith, and with Aaron Edwards out their only tall forwards at any given time would be Petrie, Hale and perhaps one of the ruckmen in McIntosh or Goldstein. Unless I'm overlooking someone? Therefore we shouldn't require too many tall backs. That's my take on it anyway.

The Underdog
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Rocket's not really one for ducks and drakes though (last week a notable exception) - it seems Callan has made a miraculous recovery, if Brad Gotch's words meant anything.

I actually find we do it quite a lot for no discernible gain. I'd find it interesting if after all the talk about resting guys and fatigue etc after the trip to Perth, the only changes we make are 2 small backman for 2 tall backman, however we do have Lake, Williams and Morris who can take North's tall forwards, so maybe we're not messing around.

bornadog
03-04-2009, 06:34 PM

and Callan won't

LostDoggy
03-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I think we all knew Picken was going to play, surprised about Callan being named.

When does Williamstown play?

bornadog
03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Dogs out to buck trend
02/04/2009 6:42 PM
Paul Gough
Sportal

The Western Bulldogs are grateful no North Melbourne players are celebrating a major milestone match this weekend.

The Dogs have not beaten the Kangaroos since 2005 - losing their past five matches - and since that time Rodney Eade's team has beaten every other club in the competition bar Dean Laidley's underrated Kangas.

But heading into Sunday's clash at the MCG - after both sides scored comfortable first round victories last weekend - the Dogs believe their record against North is worse than it appears because of the fact recent meetings have tended to correspond with a major milestone game for the Kangaroos, who have then lifted dramatically.

First there was Glenn Archer becoming only the second North player to reach 300 games - against the Dogs in Round 13, 2007 - and then last year Brent 'Boomer' Harvey celebrated his 250th game in the first of two meetings against the Dogs, which North won when Brad Johnson missed a set shot from directly in front after the final siren.

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade believes the milestones have played a key role in North's dominance of his team in recent times.

"Every time we seem to play them, they have a milestone game against us," he said after training on Thursday.

"And then last year we missed a shot on the siren so the games have been reasonably close, it's just the fact they have been in front at the right time."

Bulldogs' midfielder Matthew Boyd - the star of last week's ten goal opening round demolition of Fremantle in Perth - agrees.

"I am not sure why they have got the wood on but we seem to cop them a lot in milestone games, which seems to get them up," he said of North.

"But they are a really physical, consistent and a disciplined side and that is why they are competitive against everyone."

The Dogs were the second highest scoring team of last season and the highest scoring team in Round 1 - when they helped themselves to 25 goals against Fremantle - but Boyd says the Dogs are capable of winning a low-scoring slog against the disciplined Roos should that be needed.

"It's going to be a real struggle from the first bounce because they are a strong, physical side," he said of North.

"But that is something we have worked on, the defensive side of our game, which will hopefully help us hold them to a low score as well."

The Dogs will again be without key forward Robert Murphy, who instead will return from a post-season knee operation via the VFL, while Eade also indicated that veteran forward Scott Welsh was unlikely to break into the 22 with Eade reluctant to change a forward line that worked superbly against Fremantle last week.

Those bloody milestones killed us

bulldogsman
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I think we all knew Picken was going to play, surprised about Callan being named.

When does Williamstown play?

Saturday. Wouldn't surprise me if Callan is a late withdrawal.

Remi Moses
04-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Nothing really enlightening or astute to add but geez I'd love to get a win over these blokes - I have an irrational hate for them that extends back to a grizzled North supporter's booming voice as he screamed into my ear "COME ON YOU ROO BOYS" as Petrie destroyed us.

Couldn't agree more I hate their supporters. This nobody rates us we want respect bores me senseless. Shocking on Big Footy :eek::eek:

Bulldog4life
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Funny that you say that Comrade. For some reason I always seen to have obnoxious North supporters around me when we play them. Always. You know the type: they continually run down our Club & players. The type that you have to have a go back at.

They bring out the worst in me.:rolleyes:...so my wife and daughters say. Compared to all teams from my experiences they have the worst supporters by far in my opinion......even including Collingwood!

LostDoggy
04-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Oooh i don't know, Essendon supporters could give them a run for their money! They always seem to have something to say, even when they shouldn't.

One game i was at, North was thrashing us, may have been the Petrie 7 goal game, and had their "NORTH MELBOURNE" chant going (which is three syllables they try and stuff into a 2 syllable chant), and a heap of dogs supporters were chanting "GOLD COAST!" in time with the North chant. Pretty rude from our supporters, but amusing at the very depressing time!

LostDoggy
04-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Sorry but the fruit loop supporters are the worst, screams of 'make the ball go the other way' and other knowledgeable football commentary in the cauldron(nut-bowl) of AAMI stadium. At least I went to bed with a smile last night.

G-Mo77
04-04-2009, 11:19 AM
IN : Picken

OUT : Everitt

I think that is what will happen.....

LostDoggy
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Good stuff bornadog.

We do now! Liam Picken is in the side, what a great story this is.

All the best for Sunday Liam.

Mantis
04-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Just received a message that both Everitt & Tiller are playing for Williamstown. Harbrow isn't out there so perhaps he will come in for Callan?

Remi Moses
04-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Funny that you say that Comrade. For some reason I always seen to have obnoxious North supporters around me when we play them. Always. You know the type: they continually run down our Club & players. The type that you have to have a go back at.

They bring out the worst in me.:rolleyes:...so my wife and daughters say. Compared to all teams from my experiences they have the worst supporters by far in my opinion......even including Collingwood!

It's amazing 4 flags in 30 years and they can't shake the threat of extinction. Just imagine 1 flag in 80 odd years. Their supporters do have this chip on the shoulder problem.

bornadog
04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
It's amazing 4 flags in 30 years and they can't shake the threat of extinction. Just imagine 1 flag in 80 odd years. Their supporters do have this chip on the shoulder problem.

They bought the first two flags.

Mofra
05-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Just received a message that both Everitt & Tiller are playing for Williamstown. Harbrow isn't out there so perhaps he will come in for Callan?
Not a bad call - I would have liked to have the versatility Tiller provides (especially with Hale forward) but we do need some run with guys likely to tire after the Subi trip.

Picken is super fit as we know, and Harbrow will be champing at the bit.

Remi Moses
05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
They bought the first two flags.
Too true. nearly went broke with money they didn't have. Bob Ansett bankrolled them for years.