PDA

View Full Version : Skipper pushes case for return

The Coon Dog
01-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Skipper pushes case for return (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2007/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/74170/default.aspx)

THE BULLDOGS' explosive start to the season has filtered beyond the senior ranks with some stunning performances in the VFL over the weekend.

Ruckman Wayde Skipper played an incredible game in Williamstown's seven-goal win over the Box Hill Hawks, collecting a whopping 32 possessions, kicking two goals and amassing 35 hit-outs.

Williamstown coach Brad Gotch said Skipper, who played one senior game last year after another injury-affected season, would push for senior selection this week.

"He's probably been our best player for the past two weeks now, which is really good for the depth of the place," Gotch told westernbulldogs.com.au.

"It's also great for him because he's getting a lot of confidence and his work rate is good.

"You think he'd be pushing but he's got to oust Will Minson or Ben Hudson.

"We get a little bit too big if we have him in as well, unless they play him up forward, which they may do, but you don't want to upset a winning line up.

"But he's not doing his chances any harm. I'd say he'll be in the training squad for Friday, which is good."

Gotch also applauded the game – and recent form – of young pair Guy O'Keefe and Sam Reid, who will be on the "consideration board" when match committee meets later this week.

Rookie-listed midfielder Liam Picken took another step towards convincing the coaches to elevate him for the injured Paul O'Shea with a strong three-goal, 25-touch game.

"With the pre-season he's had and his form being really good, I'd say elevation is possible and might not be far away," Gotch said.

"It would depend on whether they have a role for him in the seniors, but it could happen anytime."

Forward Scott Welsh also played against Box Hill after overcoming illness to end with three goals, but Gotch believes the former Crow will spend another week gathering match fitness before coming into senior consideration.

Exciting young gun Jarrad Grant also showed signs in the game, although Gotch said he tired in the second half, while Jarrod Harbrow put in an encouraging performance.

Tim Callan's run of bad luck continued when the small defender was bumped front-on in the first half and missed the rest of the game.

The knock came less than a week after Callan was taken to hospital with anaphylactic shock following the flare-up of his peanut allergy.

"It was quite a solid hit and it forced him to go backwards, which crunched his back and he had a spasm, which was a bit nasty," Gotch said.

"He also got a bit of a corky in that. He had looked really good and really sharp before it too, so it wasn't ideal.

"I don't think he'll come up this week. If he does, it will be a late call and he'll play with the VFL."

Easton Wood also picked up a minor complaint in the match when he suffered a knock to the knee, which burst a bursa. He had the knee drained earlier this week and is likely to miss Saturday's clash with North Ballarat at Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 04:45 PM
My dad went to training today and a number of people there were singing his praises.
He didn't have a full pre season last year iirc, maybe he is better?

GVGjr
01-04-2009, 05:42 PM
I think Gotch has been reading Comrades and my reports :)

G-Mo77
01-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Good to hear he did well. I'm a strong believer in Skipper's ability as mentioned by Ern. he didn't have a pre-season last year and it cost him badly. Having him playing well puts more pressure on our other talls to perform or find themselves in the VFL. He'll never be a superstar or a game breaker but IMO he's a pretty good spare parts guy and a pretty valuable assest to have despite what the arse clowns on the BF Bulldog board think!

alwaysadog
01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Good to hear he did well. I'm a strong believer in Skipper's ability as mentioned by Ern. he didn't have a pre-season last year and it cost him badly. Having him playing well puts more pressure on our other talls to perform or find themselves in the VFL. He'll never be a superstar or a game breaker but IMO he's a pretty good spare parts guy and a pretty valuable assest to have despite what the arse clowns on the BF Bulldog board think!

Agree on all counts, very well and very succinctly put.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Totally agree.

I think he is very valuable at the club, i think he can be very good for us up forward & in the ruck.

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Youd have to think Minson is the one hed replace

Id need to watch Sundays game again to get a better feel for how Minson performed

Happy Days
01-04-2009, 10:11 PM

Id need to watch Sundays game again to get a better feel for how Minson performed

I agree that if he were to come in, he would replace Minson, but I dont think there is the need to bring him in after the performance the team put in.

Minson might be in strife if we lose this week though.

Dancin' Douggy
01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
The 2 main differences between Will and Skip are height and heart.
Will is much taller than Skip and Will looks like he would eat his own teeth to get to the ball or physically hurt whomsoever has the ball.
When Skipper gets a senior game he looks overwhelmed and just makes up the numbers.
And at 193cm he can't be taken seriously as an AFL ruckman.
I'd love to see him really take some vigour and adrenalin into a senior game like Will does.
He may be a huge surprise package.
Maybe one day he will.

bornadog
01-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Will is much taller than Skip and Will looks like he would eat his own teeth to get to the ball or physically hurt whomsoever has the ball.
When Skipper gets a senior game he looks overwhelmed and just makes up the numbers.
I'd love to see him really take some vigour and adrenalin into a senior game like Will does.
Maybe one day he will.

Just turned 26 so he should be near his prime for a tall.

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 12:10 AM

Spot On, I don't use BF too much these days as there's too much BS on there. WOOF is the only place to be for accurate, in-depth, concise,informative & constructive analysis on all matters Footy and the Doggies.
I like to see all Doggies go well, even if they are not good enough, so long as it is not through a lack of trying, Good luck for 09 Skip.

alwaysadog
02-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Maybe one day he will.

I like Minson but I don't know that Will often uses his awesome presence to much effect though, doesn't get a lot of the ball either, doesn't take many contested marks. Plenty of room for improvement.

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 08:55 AM

You'll fast forward 99.7% of the game. Had about two touches and wasn't noticed. He's under pressure from Skipper no doubt.

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Skipper is undersized for a modern day ruckman which would cost us in hitouts, however he is mobile and a reasonable mark and as such could play a role and have an impact. It would depend on the opposition, you could not play him on Sandliands, Cox, Hille, Ottens etc.

If you recall late last year, StKilda played Jason Blake in the Ruck (against Hawthorn??) who is even shorter then Skipper and he was a game breaker, providing a running tall option through the middle and to the CHF line and by scrapping hard for the ball in the middle when it hit the deck. Can Skipper play that role for us?? His VFL form suggests maybe...

I would agree with Dancin Douggy that he needs to up his angry pill intake though, he will need to improve his intensity at AFL level to win the ball against bigger and stronger opponents.

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Skip is too small play in the ruck as a back-up to Huddo, so Will will still have to play until Roughead is ready. No reason he couldn't play as a hit up tall target in the forwardline that has been calling out for one though, and ruck boundary throw ins in the forward 50...

Who will he push out? The reality is that if a tall target comes in to shore up the forwardline, one of the small forwards will have to go, unless they are able to also run through the middle, in which case a midfield player will be sacrificed. Ward or Eagleton will be the most likely to be under pressure, as all of Aker, Higgins and Hill can play both up front and in the middle, and Johnno, Hahn and Gia are undroppable.

Alternatively, Hill could be the one under pressure if his consistency drops.

bulldogtragic
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
As good as the game he played was , and it was a very good game.

I just have a lingering doubt. There is Welsh to come back who is a proven AFL goal kicker and young Grant we want to blood and get some games into and then Rought and Ayce who would love to get a few games.

With Skip's height and lack of ability thus far to make an impact at AFL level, there is a part of me that is very skeptical and i like to be proven wrong. But Streety too was knocking up 1,989,121 hitouts a game and on occasion kicked a few too with some good stats. I don't think we can take VFL form from what has to be said is a proven under-performer at AFL level and think he is the answer.

Welsh fit and in form is a better option for the side and I would play Grant ahead of him too as he needs some games in him. For me if he is not playing forward, he needs to play ruck. He has nothing on Hudson and then it's Minson. Skipper would need to put 4 like games together and Minson to do bugger all during those 4 games before i review the decision. Street proves VFL form means nothing when you consistently underperform at AFL level.

But like i say, i would love nothing more than to be proven wrong by Wayde.