PDA

View Full Version : Liam Picken - Ready to make the jump & another Picken article

BulldogBelle
02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Liam Picken.....

Ready to make the jump (http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/72291)
The Hume Star
Tim Doutré
2nd April 2009

IT IS only about 10km from Whitten Oval to Burbank Oval in Williamstown, but for former Williamstown player and now Western Bulldogs rookie Liam Picken they are worlds apart.

The 22-year-old was picked up as a mature-age rookie in the draft, giving him his first real shot at the AFL dream.

Last month he took to the field against Essendon at the Telstra Dome stepping out in front of a packed stadium.

“I haven’t got the stats or anything for it but I got most of the game,” he said.

“I played a more defensive role. It was a good eyes-open experience, obviously at the Telstra Dome there was a good crowd there.”

With AFL round one wrapped up and the Bulldogs gaining a comfortable win against Fremantle, Picken is unsure about when he will make his debut.

There was no indication from Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade as to when Picken or the other rookies would get their first AFL game.

“There won’t be any debutants this week,” he said before the Bulldogs clash with Fremantle on the weekend. We virtually have a full list to pick from.”

Picken, who is living in Thornbury with his brother Marcus, a former Brisbane Lions player, said continuous improvement would be the key for him if he was to get the chance on the big stage.

“There is no indication of when (I will debut), obviously I have got to keep training hard, perform down at Willi to throw my name up. I just have got to keep working on my deficiencies,” he says.

“I am excited, just looking forward, got to keep training hard and trying to work yourself to get upgraded if the chance comes.

“I have been speaking to line coaches and working on little things, as well as obviously keep improving skills, fitness and weights.”

Life is pretty good for Picken though, having played at VFL affiliate Williamstown previously he will slot straight back into the Seagulls line-up with his old mates while he waits for his AFL debut. The only negative, according to Picken, is the ribbing he gets from his mates in the gold and blue. “They stir you up a bit more down at Willi but apart from that it’s no different,” he says.

“You go back and you don’t feel out of place or anything, you just cop a bit more abuse.

“I go back to Willi, all my mates were there I have been there the past four years, it’s great to go back there and catch up with my mates and play footy.”

Picken is looking notably fitter and stronger as a result of a solid AFL preseason – the most intense the Bulldogs have done in recent memory according to Eade.

“It’s volume and certainly intensity, it’s been the most difficult preseason,” he said.

Picken has noted the change from VFL to AFL.

“Preseason has been good so far to date, obviously my fitness has improved and I am doing weights everyday, which has helped with my strength.”

The Bulldogs play North Melbourne on Sunday, while the VFL season starts this weekend with Williamstown kicking off in round two.

Rocket Science
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Has Liam been saddled with a nickname as yet?

Might I suggest 'Slim'?

BulldogBelle
02-04-2009, 11:34 PM
and another Picken article...

Liam Picken a dogged spirit for Western Bulldogs (http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,25282584-5016212,00.html)
Adelaide Now
Damian Barrett | April 02, 2009

SOME footballers are groomed to play AFL. Identified by talent scouts when they are as young as 12, they are sent to the best schools, handed places in the elite junior competitions, given the red carpet through to the national draft.

With the passing of every AFL season, with talent identification almost a science, there is less scope for the old-fashioned, blue-collar kid, the one who toils through country and suburban footy, studying and being forced to work part-time all the way through.

Thankfully, ever so occasionally, a young man forced to fight and scrap through every training session and game with lesser clubs in lesser competitions will be given a crack at the big time.

On Sunday at the MCG, Liam Picken, 22, will be rewarded for never giving up an impossible AFL dream when he makes his debut for the Western Bulldogs against North Melbourne.

Picken, elevated off the Bulldogs' rookie list on Wednesday, is the son of an idol of one of the premier clubs. But he has earned AFL footballer status purely through his determination.

Picken won over coach Rodney Eade and all but booked a senior game when he shut down Essendon's Angus Monfries in a run-with assignment in the NAB Cup bushfire appeal match.

"It's been tough for him at times, so this is a wonderful effort," said Picken's father, Collingwood team of the century member Bill Picken.

"He's a late bloomer, was jockey-size for a long time. But through his work ethic, he's strengthened up, and he's got good endurance."

Picken Sr, whose oldest son Marcus played for the Brisbane Lions and the Bulldogs, said Liam's perseverance made him proud.

"The breaks never went his way. He was never put up to play league footy, so all the congratulations go to him," he said.

"It is special for someone like Liam, who was seen (by a Williamstown scout) as a 17-year-old playing in a country grand final in a place called Casterton. He was playing for Hamilton against North Gambier.

"He then went to Melbourne for university and Williamstown rang him up, and that's how it all has transpired. Don't think anyone else was interested in him.

"It's been tough for him studying while he's been playing footy.

"But he has managed his bachelor of international business and he has also worked for the defence ministry.

"Even when he started at Williamstown, he worked in the salami factory and down on the wharves, unloading things, just so he could fund himself."

The young Picken spent four years with Williamstown before the Bulldogs rookie-listed him.

"He just has a drive for whatever he does. He never gave up with his footy, and his university results have always been fantastic - he is just a focused lad," Picken Sr said.

And he inherited the academic qualities from you, Billy?

"Ah, no."

Ozza
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Great to see Liam get elevated. My understanding is that he will not play this weekend - but they wouldn't have elevated him (and spent the money) if they weren't going to play him soon.

Nice job Picko.

LostDoggy
03-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Ah, a smart cookie as well. Reminds me of Vicente Del Bosque (Spanish soccer coach) who as a player was told: "classy, but too slow to play defensive midfielder", before going on to play for Real Madrid and become of the most successful managers in its history.

Iron determination, hard work and brains can go a long way to making up for natural physical deficiencies.

Good one Liam. Go tear North a new one (if you play).

Sockeye Salmon
03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Great to see Liam get elevated. My understanding is that he will not play this weekend - but they wouldn't have elevated him (and spent the money) if they weren't going to play him soon.

Nice job Picko.

He'll play.

Desipura
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
agree in that he'll play, Tiller or Everitt to make way. Most likely Tiller. It looks like it might be a game played in the wet, every more reason to bring in Picken for a tallish player.

Swoop
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
If Picken does play on Sunday what would be the best match up for him? Harvey, Thomas or Campbell?

With no Tim Callan playing he could be suited to a role on Campbell who plays a little deeper to goal as opposed to Thomas who was pushing further up the ground on the weekend. Having said that he also appears suited to running with Harvey who we have struggled to find a suitable matchup for in the past.

mjp
04-04-2009, 12:18 AM
If he plays on Harvey, Harvey might die of shock. No-one wearing red, white and blue has gone anywhere near him for 5 years.