PDA

View Full Version : The Age 2007 form guide

GVGjr
25-03-2007, 02:54 PM
I noticed in the Age form guide that we are highly placed in everyone of their experts selections.
By the way the Age's effort is far superior to the Hun's in my opinion.

Rohan Connolly has us coming 2nd
Michael Gleeson - 4th
Samantha Lane - 7th
Jake Niall - 6th
Stephen Rielly 6th
Grant Thomas 6th
Robert Walls 5th
Caroline Wilson 2nd

This sort of expectation could be the making or the breaking of us in my opinion. Our supporters will be out for blood if they are reading all the hype and we don't end up delivering.

Is this type of expectation good or bad for us?

Go_Dogs
25-03-2007, 05:56 PM
It's good. It we want to be a successful team we must get used to the expectation of victory. Surely the players would be disappointed if we didn't achieve a result in that vicinity, and surely we will be too.

alwaysadog
25-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Just a bit worried that Carro has us at number 2.

Does this act as a curse on our efforts this year.

Can't believe she's improved her piece on the drugs stuff was her usual all over the place form.

Does she know where the Whitten Oval is? Has she ever crossed the Maribynong other than on the way to Geelong?

GVGjr
25-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Just a bit worried that Carro has us at number 2.

Does this act as a curse on our efforts this year.

Can't believe she's improved her piece on the drugs stuff was her usual all over the place form.

Does she know where the Whitten Oval is? Has she ever crossed the Maribynong other than on the way to Geelong?

She also had Crossy down to win the Brownlow which could be a career killer :)
I don't rate her highly but I also don't think she is as bad as some say either.

Mofra
25-03-2007, 06:48 PM
I think it is a good thing. It has to help us chance the culture of the club, the expectation of failure.

We need to start thinking like winners. As Gandhi said, "we must become the change we want to see"

BulldogBelle
25-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Good to see us rated so highly in certain areas. Whilst the expectation factor might be so high amongst the media, it will be good for our players to believe in themselves and strive to go that one step better.

alwaysadog
25-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't rate her highly but I also don't think she is as bad as some say either.

I thought I had her taped, can't understand this sudden infatuation with us. But beware the woman scorned.

Generally very good at schmoozing the coaches etc, very nice to daddy's mates and anyone else with Liberal connections, puts in some shockers but middle of the road performer a lot of the time, a selfish sort of player with poor peripheral vision and a tendency to blast away and forget others in better positions.

BulldogBelle
25-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I thought I had her taped, can't understand this sudden infatuation with us. But beware the woman scorned.

Yes, she was quite complimentary, never believe anything a Richmond fan says. As for the "beware the woman scorned line" all I can say is be scared, be very scared. We are not all like that AAD, well maybe sometimes if we are really upset. :)

LostDoggy
26-03-2007, 11:31 AM
The West Australian (Kerry Stokes/Channel Seven) has Bulldogs at 4th. Have misplaced the guide, can't remember how any particular individuals rated us.

The Sunday Times (cousin of Herald and Weekly Times) doesn't give an average rating. Lots of individual predictions but they are local columnists or identities. Other crystal ball gazers with a national profile offer the following ratings:
Glen Quartermain- 2nd.
Mike Sheahan- 4th.
Garry Lyon- 5th.
Dermot Brereton- 6th.
Wayne Schwass- 4th.
Bruce McAvaney- 5th.
Dennis Cometti- 2nd
The average of all predictions is 5th

Dry Rot
26-03-2007, 04:15 PM
The average of all predictions is 5th

Probably pretty fair. We have a reasonably strong case to make the 8 but sufficient holes/problems/questions to not have a compelling case to make top 4.

While most sides have been improving, we should make the 8 (this squad has been stress tested re injuries).

Top 4? Depends on how those holes/problems/questions pan out over 2007.

bornadog
26-03-2007, 05:29 PM

I think she is pretty good as she is able to fish out some top scoops in the age, through her web and contacts. I have noticed she always sticks up for the dogs. The only thing I do hate about her is the team she follows.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Just imagine if we had a ready-made CHB, say Tom Williams. The expectations would be x10 what they are now.

In any event, it's good. We're a Club who has faulted under pressure before, so it's a good test for the new breed of players/coaching staff. To be the best you need to perform under pressure and expectation, and that's what we've got to do this year if we're going to keep improving and get anywhere near a Flag.

I think 3rd-6th is a realistic goal. I would be disappointed if we finished 7th or 8th again.

alwaysadog
26-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, she was quite complimentary, never believe anything a Richmond fan says. As for the "beware the woman scorned line" all I can say is be scared, be very scared. We are not all like that AAD, well maybe sometimes if we are really upset. :)

BulldogBelle I am suitably admonished. I never meant to imply that Carro was representative of all women, but I certainly did not choose my words very well.

If I had used "that woman" rather than "the woman" I would have more accurately conveyed my intention.

Very few women in my experience are like that, but my conclusion from reading her stuff is that she would be.

Apologies for my clumsiness of expression.

alwaysadog
26-03-2007, 06:09 PM
I think she is pretty good as she is able to fish out some top scoops in the age, through her web and contacts. I have noticed she always sticks up for the dogs. The only thing I do hate about her is the team she follows.

She certainly makes use of her contacts, not always in very good ways. Have a look at her piece on Sunday and if you ask who is she easy on or boosting you have exposed her sources.

She certainly hasn't always stuck up for the Bulldogs, she has often delighted in sticking it up us. She positively hated Wallace 'till he went off to coach her beloved Tiges (Daddy was President don't you know) now it's Terry this and Terry that.

She is having a flirtation with the Dogs and I can't for the life of me work out how she has overcome all her past hatreds.

LostDoggy
27-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Yes, I agree it is certainly strange behaviour coming from Carro. Last year, she would always pick the opposition to win against us - even when we were clear favourites.:confused:

Maybe she is getting behind us because we are Victorian - and from what I have been reading, the Victorian team with the best chance of making an honest attempt to win the flag.

Although having said that, I would have thought that Melbourne would be getting more of a mention in the media, yet it seems to be strangely quiet about them - I rate them a chance - does anyone else here?

Go_Dogs
27-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Dogs, Saints and Demon.