PDA

View Full Version : Dean Laidley's comments

Mantis
03-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Not sure if anyone else caught Laidley's comments at his interview session post training yesterday, but he was really talking the Bulldogs up.

He said something along the lines of, 'From the top 4 teams last year it looks like the Bulldogs are the team that has improved the most.' He added that we have been most impressive through the pre-season (he sat near me & SS at the Saints game - he must have fallen asleep during that match) and were excellent last week.

So, what does everyone make of this, is he just blowing wind up his teams next opponent or is he on the money with his comments?

The Coon Dog
03-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Bit of both I think Mantis. Coaches are never about to say anything negative about upcoming opposition teams for fear it may be used against them, so they generally hand out plaudits.

After just 1 round it's a bit too early to say which team of the top 4 will improve the most, but I hope he's right.

It will be a big test in the box this week for Rocket as Laidley is one of the more astute t actions on matchday. I'm sure Rocket will thrive on the challenge.

Cyberdoggie
03-04-2009, 10:39 AM
He's definately blowing!

Eade was doing the same about North.

No one wants their side to go in too positively into a game in case they get jumped out of the box.

With North's 5-0 recent record over us Dean is keen to say the bulldogs are better and it's going to be tough etc.

Eade on the other hand will say we haven't beaten them in a while, and they are very underated.

A bit of fun and games really.

Remi Moses
04-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Personally I reckon he went the wrong way about it. I'd be giving subtle reminders on their great recent record against us.North and all their shinboner spirit b/s gives me the irrates. They run out of gimmicks come september.I've never had any time for them since they stole one of our greats[long time to bare a grudge]Could you imagine if they'd had only 1 premiership in 83 years. They'd be pushing up daisies as we speak

The Coon Dog
04-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I've never had any time for them since they stole one of our greats

I was shattered too when Mocca Dunstan went to Arden Street. ;)

westdog54
04-04-2009, 11:43 AM
He's definately blowing!

Eade was doing the same about North.

No one wants their side to go in too positively into a game in case they get jumped out of the box.

With North's 5-0 recent record over us Dean is keen to say the bulldogs are better and it's going to be tough etc.

Eade on the other hand will say we haven't beaten them in a while, and they are very underated.

A bit of fun and games really.

Just once I'd love two coaches whose teams are meeting next round to agree to spend the week trash-talking each other non-stop, give the players free licence at press conferences, and just sit back and watch the circus that develops.

Sockeye Salmon
04-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I was shattered too when Mocca Dunstan went to Arden Street. ;)

I couldn't work out if he meant Ray Huppatz or Greg Eppelstun.

Thanks for clearing that up.

strebla
04-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I couldn't work out if he meant Ray Huppatz or Greg Eppelstun.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't think one year is a long time to hold a grudge but then again I don't really really miss Sammy that much :0)

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 09:17 AM
This confirmed my hate of Dean Laidley. Nice excuse.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/dogs-outmuscled-roos-laidley/2009/04/05/1238869836409.html

Lost 1600 games worth of experience! Included guys he delisted.
7 guys with less than 50 games, I think the bulldogs would be close to that as well.

Mantis
06-04-2009, 09:37 AM
7 guys with less than 50 games, I think the bulldogs would be close to that as well.

The same.

Williams
Ward
Picken
Harbrow
Hill
Higgins
Addison

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
This is the part I found interesting.

"Out of that side, or either off our list, we've lost about 1600 games of experience in (Glenn) Archer, (Shannon) Grant, (Jess) Sinclair, (Nathan) Thompson, Leigh Brown, Casey Green."

He said other players who were still at the club but who didn't play yesterday included Corey Jones, Shannon Watt and Daniel Harris.

Laidley said such experience had been replaced with the likes of Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell, Lachie Hansen, Gavin Urquhart, Scott McMahon, Josh Gibson and Andrew Swallow — all had played less than 50 games.