PDA

View Full Version : Hotties & Notties w/ Rocco Jones: Round 2 edition

Rocco Jones
05-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the 2nd edition of Hotties & Notties w/ Rocco Jones. Two of the three notties from last week had wins this week and the other was far less loser like than usual, I must be very inspiring.

HOT

Carlton
2-0 and top of the league. Their A-team midfield combo is only behind the Cats in quality but I still have doubts whether they will be able to mix it with the best. Still from where they have come from, they deserve to top this list this week.

Western Bulldogs
Playing our bogey side off a WA trip certainly has the alarm bells ringing. The Roos charged home late and it looked like the same old but we found something extra to get over the line. It's cliched, but it's the type of game the top sides win. We weren't at our best but still got over a better than average side.

Sydney
An uninspiring first showing did nothing to quell calls that they would be this season's great slider but as Craig did last week, Roos showed why you write the Swans off at your own peril. Roos and Craig just don't seem to know how to bottom out. Jolly played the game of his life, Bolton spanked Buddy, a vintage Adam Goodes performance and the rise and rise of Jarrad McVeigh helped the Swans to hand the reigning premiers a 38 point loss. I didn't really watch the game though cause I find them very boring.

--------------Hot/Not Equator---------------------------- (not drawn to scale)--------------------

Melbourne
They are 0-2 and 15th and the saddest thing is, they have been OK by their standards. I was thinking about who their best player was this week, they really just lack anything resembling star players. They just about have the weakest ruck division I have ever seen, with H-Mac and Fraser handing them consecutive hidings. At least they have a sponsor I guess.

Hawthorn
0-2 and showing signs of a premiership hangover. The loss of Croad and Gilham has hit them hard down back and Jordan Lewis is a big loss in the middle. A few of their key players are looking underdone. It looks as if it will be a lot tougher to get a top four spot this season and with the Hawks already being two games behind, next round's game against the Kangaroos looks a big one.

Fremantle
Mark Harvey has to be this week's Terry Wallace. How long can you say a team is underachieving? I think they are plain old crapola.

NOT

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Fremantle
Mark Harvey has to be this week's Terry Wallace. How long can you say a team is underachieving? I think they are plain old crapola.

NOT

I have a mate that was spruiking the Dockers as the value bet of the round, going against a weak Essendon team, who are expected to go close to propping up the ladder in 09

If I was a Docker supporter I'd definitely be frustrated

Rocco Jones
06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
What a copy cat that Rohan Connolly is.

ledge
06-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Melbourne are a load of kids trying their heart out, i think Bailey is going about it right, they are very competitive for 2 to 3 quarters but then drop away, once the kids get some games and strength into them they will be ok.
Give them 2 years.

Freo and Richmond are same, coach is not up to it thus teams are terrible.

Carlton, well with all the good players they have got its about time they started the climb, i believe upstairs in the coaches box its starting to improve with past players and Monty helping out, always a good sign when past players say enough is enough and start to come back in my opinion.

Sydney is Like Nth will always give a red hot go, they both play for the coach.

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Melbourne are a load of kids trying their heart out, i think Bailey is going about it right, they are very competitive for 2 to 3 quarters but then drop away, once the kids get some games and strength into them they will be ok.
Give them 2 years.

I thought the Dees were good for a half but disappointing afterwards

Boy there kicking at times was poor - Cheney butchered it at times

AndrewP6
06-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Poor Dees...I think back to '02-'03, when we were down that end of the ladder.... I think they've got 3 or 4 years of this sort of season ahead of them

Mantis
06-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Surely Sydney had to be no.1 this week.

Carlton beat Brisbane in Melbourne... big friggin deal.

hujsh
06-04-2009, 10:45 PM

I terms of hype they are absolutely number 1.

Rocco Jones
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM

I will put that down to my bias. Obviously I have a soft spot or two for the Dogs but my man crush on Bryce Gibbs may have also clouded my judgement.

Mantis
06-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I terms of hype they are absolutely number 1.

And we are supposed to care about this why??

You would hope this forum would be the one place you can get away from the infatuation the media have with the cheats from Lygon St.

Rocco Jones
06-04-2009, 10:59 PM

I was not basing it solely on round 2 performances, if so the Swans would comfortably be on top.

Rocco Jones
06-04-2009, 11:03 PM

You would hope this forum would be the one place you can get away from the infatuation the media have with the cheats from Lygon St.

I really don't mind the hype. I find Carlton an attractive side but definitely have doubts about them matching it with the stronger sides. The over hype will only hurt them.

Rocco Jones
06-04-2009, 11:04 PM
the cheats from Lygon St.

I think it's the cheats from Royal Parade.

hujsh
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM

That was my interpretation of 'hot'. Hype leads to you being the it team and everyone backing you, making you the hot team of the comp.

Personally I hope they crash and burn but I see them as being probably the 'hot' team ATM

firstdogonthemoon
06-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Another articulate and thoughtful analysis from Mr Jones. I must say I look forward to the blues balloon getting punctured. Even if it is just a slow leak. ssssssssssssssssssss

Rocco Jones
06-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Another articulate and thoughtful analysis from Mr Jones. I must say I look forward to the blues balloon getting punctured. Even if it is just a slow leak. ssssssssssssssssssss

Thank you Mr Moon. I very much look forward to our game against them in Round 5.

Sedat
07-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Being out injured for several weeks, surely West Coast's Tony Notte should get a run on the 'Notties' list

Rocco Jones
07-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I like it Sedat.

I am working on a list of different areas I consider when assessing the hotness and notness of particular sides. As the season goes on it will be a bit about their last game, a bit about the last couple of games, a bit about their season in general and a bit about their cattle.

The Hawks really do have a few worries. No Taylor and Campbell means Renouf has to go in with a part timer against the deepest ruck division in the comp. If the rumours about Croad being out of the year are true, I really can't see their defence holding up. I think Jordan Lewis is a really underrated part of their side as well. Huge game for them and North this week.

Mofra
07-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Hawthorn
0-2 and showing signs of a premiership hangover. The loss of Croad and Gilham has hit them hard down back and Jordan Lewis is a big loss in the middle. A few of their key players are looking underdone. It looks as if it will be a lot tougher to get a top four spot this season and with the Hawks already being two games behind, next round's game against the Kangaroos looks a big one.

Am confident they will be 0-3 after this week. Hudson's second efforts in the ruck go unnoticed - North's primo ruck division wont have this level of fire to contend with, and Roughead in the ruck is robbing Mary to pay a pittance to Paul.

Unlike the Bulldogs, the Hawks haven't got the depth of quality tall defenders to beat North's forwards (I've waited a while to say that!).

I'd have Petrie forward the whole game; three North talls in anything other than blustery wet conditions should trouble them.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Give them 2 years.

Freo and Richmond are same, coach is not up to it thus teams are terrible.

Carlton, well with all the good players they have got its about time they started the climb, i believe upstairs in the coaches box its starting to improve with past players and Monty helping out, always a good sign when past players say enough is enough and start to come back in my opinion.
Sydney is Like Nth will always give a red hot go, they both play for the coach.

After all of Carlton's wheeling, dealing, squealing and cartwheeling they land on their feet and the footy gods decide it’s about time they got lucky. They have more number ones than The Beatles (or Abba for the younger posters). I still haven’t forgiven them for getting an ‘exemption’ (read ‘violation’) to the then new salary cap rule for their wholesale plundering of Sth Aust champs ( in the one season!) of Kernahan, Bradley and Mottley. And whaddya know, they bought a premiership with them!! It ranks with the buying of The World Series and the multiple drug cheats who won Olympic gold.
And now after Big Nose's and Pratt's corruption and a taste of downstairs, they've rocketed to the top again, 54 years too early.

bornadog
07-04-2009, 02:16 PM
After all of Carlton's wheeling, dealing, squealing and cartwheeling they land on their feet and the footy gods decide it’s about time they got lucky. They have more number ones than The Beatles (or Abba for the younger posters). I still haven’t forgiven them for getting an ‘exemption’ (read ‘violation’) to the then new salary cap rule for their wholesale plundering of Sth Aust champs ( in the one season!) of Kernahan, Bradley and Mottley. And whaddya know, they bought a premiership with them!! It ranks with the buying of The World Series and the multiple drug cheats who won Olympic gold.
And now after Big Nose's and Pratt's corruption and a taste of downstairs, they've rocketed to the top again, 54 years too early.

and today they have asked the AFL if they can have assistance with cash as they can't payback the $1.5 million loan.

Sockeye Salmon
07-04-2009, 04:01 PM
and today they have asked the AFL if they can have assistance with cash as they can't payback the $1.5 million loan.

Most of which they used to pay the fine they got for cheating!

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2009, 04:15 PM

That should please all their Lygon St supporters who got to the footy en masse when they're at the top but lose interest otherwise.

alwaysadog
07-04-2009, 11:46 PM
What a copy cat that Rohan Connolly is.

Can you sue him for breech of copyright? I'm fed up with lazy journos who plagiarise good ideas from insightful grass roots commentators.