PDA

View Full Version : Firing forwards give Eade a welcome dilemma

Scraggers
07-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Firing forwards give Eade a welcome dilemma (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/74519/default.aspx)

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/welsh_willy_a.jpg

IF WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade decides to increase the Dogs' firepower this Monday against Richmond, he need look no further than Williamstown after a potent attacking display by some of his listed players on the weekend.

Scott Welsh kicked five goals and Jarrad Grant four in the Seagulls' big win over North Ballarat at Whitten Oval on Saturday, while midfielder Guy O'Keefe stood up with an impressive three-goal performance.

Williamstown coach Brad Gotch said he was pleased with the 11-goal win over last year's VFL premiers, who had 16 of their grand final-winning side plus a host of North Melbourne listed players.

"We're sharing the load up forward a fair bit at the moment," he told westernbulldogs.com.au.

"It's a nice problem to have. It will be interesting to see what the seniors do.

"It will depend on the team they're playing and what they think they can expose the opposition with.

"Welsh could have kicked more than five. He ended with 5.3, which could have easily been more goals.

"Grant's gotten better each week. You can just see his work rate improve and he took a couple of nice contested marks on the weekend.

"He had a purple patch in the third quarter where he kicked three goals in about five minutes, which was a highlight. He was just unstoppable."

Gotch said the pair would definitely be on Eade's radar after an impressive few weeks.

"It comes down to what sort of balance Rocket wants in the side. I just give them a good report card and it's up to the senior guys then to decide what to do with them," he said.

Gotch also praised the performances of Wayde Skipper and Sam Reid, who he said had been a “stand out” performer for the second week running.

"If someone gets injured, at least they know Sam's there. He's good at the clearances and is getting plenty of it. He's using it well as well," he said.

"There's no doubt Wayde will be pushing but you just can't play him with Ben Hudson and Will Minson. But he's still putting the performances on the board and is really enjoying his footy, which is important."

Andrejs Everitt and Stephen Tiller appeared for the Seagulls after being omitted from the Bulldogs' side, and Gotch said their contribution was handy.

"Andrejs set up a lot of our attacking moves and did a good job defensively, so he's in good form. He looks on top of his game, which is all you can do when you come back," he said.

"Tiller played across the backline, and I had to be careful with him because he was emergency for the next day.

"He only played half the game and had 12 possessions. In the last two or three games he's played seniors, he's been back so I think that's where Rocket sees him mainly, and then he can pinch-hit as a forward."

Gotch said the only injury to come from the game was a shoulder complaint picked up by first-year ruckman Jordan Roughead.

"It was just a normal run-of-the-mill incident just before half time. He got a knock and he might miss a week or two," he said.

"He had a shoulder problem in the pre-season and this is the same arm. I heard good reports on Sunday that it wasn't as bad as we first thought."

Tim Callan didn't play after copping a heavy knock the weekend before in the VFL, while Easton Wood had his injured knee drained for the second time last week but could be available for Saturday.

The Seagulls have a bye for round one of the VFL but will play the AIS/AFL Academy squad as a curtain raiser to Saturday's St Kilda-West Coast clash at Docklands.

bornadog
07-04-2009, 01:25 PM
hard to change the team, but I would have thought Welsh will come in this week.

GVGjr
07-04-2009, 06:13 PM
hard to change the team, but I would have thought Welsh will come in this week.

I'd play Welsh for sure. With a trip to the West the week after it would be an ideal time to give one or two of the senior guys a spell.

Having Welsh, Grant and possibly O'Keefe pushing for some spots is terrific news for the club.

bulldogtragic
07-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd play Welsh for sure. With a trip to the West the week after it would be an ideal time to give one or two of the senior guys a spell.

Having Welsh, Grant and possibly O'Keefe pushing for some spots is terrific news for the club.
And Andreajs and Tiller being unlucky and Murphy still to come back...

Add Reid and a few others and pups which could do anything?

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Welsh has to come in and a good chance to debut Grant. Very exciting to have these sort of problems.

Cyberdoggie
08-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Welsh has to come in and a good chance to debut Grant. Very exciting to have these sort of problems.

So who goes out?

We'd all like to have all the kids playing but for them to go in someone has to go out.

It will come down to balance and match ups with Richmond. I'd say Welsh will be in for sure. Last time we played them he had a heap of shots on goal early and had the yips, from memory missed every one but just kept getting the ball.

Grant won't be too far away, with Richmond being a poor tackling side and no particularly big bodied defenders he might get his first game.

not sure who will miss out, Ward and Harbrow, or maybe Picken unless Eade wants to use him as a tagger again.