PDA

View Full Version : Has Matthew Boyd taken it to a new level?

Scorlibo
07-04-2009, 02:27 PM
In Boydy's first two games he has radiated a new level of confidence with the footy. I think he is now more than just a workhorse - he is so composed and creative with his hands and reliable by foot. Does anyone else think that he has taken his game to the elite level?

Mantis
07-04-2009, 02:38 PM
No doubt his football has improved, but before raising him to the 'elite' level I would like him to have a similiar effect on games against the better teams in the competition. I thought he was pretty poor in the finals last year and reserve to make judgement until he plays consistently well against fellow top 4 or 6 teams.

I have liked his use of the handball in the first couple of games. He has used this effectively to free up players who use the ball better by foot which has really helped our performance.

Mofra
07-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Yes, yes and yes.
He is fitter, and his overhead ability seems to improved in the off season.

I expect part of the reason Picken was elevated (in addition to the hard work of the kid himself) was because Boyd is now too important to play simply a run-with role - he can be creative enough in his own right. He has the ability to play inside midfielder, he also has the endurance and his disposal has imporved enough for him to play an outside role if required.

Could be the most unfasionable "elite" player we have seen for some time if he keeps his early season form up.

Ozza
07-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Absolutely agree with you there. He really seems to be taking a leading role in the middle - and with Crossy getting more attention, as well as Griffen - Boyd has stepped up his game. He looks in great shape - even looks quicker this year and his hands and skills have been very sharp.

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I love it, the tagger to become the tagged?

He has definately impoved from a solid season ast year, I will be interested to see how he and our midfield go against Carlton and Geelong.

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I think his game has improved again this year(and I thought he was consistently underrated as a ball user last year). The challenge as Mantis says is to do it against Hawthorn and Geelong, (I will wait and see how good Carlton are against a mature midfield with good depth).

I would love to see him match up on Corey, or Sewell (simmilar honest hard working palyers) so we can see where he really is in terms of the game's elite.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Been pretty impressed with Boyd.

His skills have improved and he's become a much more smarter footballer. That was a knock in the past IMO - he often made silly errors or ran to the wrong spots. So far this year, he really does look elite. Everything he's done has looked in control and his work in combination with Crossy has been fantastic. Cross is simply an inside player with supreme fitness, Boydy has now developed a game where he can play both inside and out to good effect whilst improving his fitness levels.

IMO, Boyd's first two games have reminded me of Cameron Ling. A few years ago, Ling was an average player. He wasn't the smartest player going around and his disposal was often costly. He was slow and really was heading for the outer. He's now one of the crucial cogs in Geelongs midfield and has become damaging by foot - and Boyd's done exactly the same.

The call above is a good one too. He's become too important and creative to be simply a tagger. He wins so much of the ball now and is probably our best stoppage player.

LostDog
07-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I'd Like to think of Boyd as our version of Brent Harvey

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 10:40 PM

How so?
Harvey is tiny and quick.

Happy Days
07-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Whilst I agree with you that he has taken his game up a notch - his skills seem sharper, especially his kicking, and he seems to now be able to use his ability to get large quantities of the pill to have a significant impact on the game - I don't feel that he is at the 'elite' level.

NoseBleed
08-04-2009, 02:24 AM
I was never a big fan of Matty Boyd, but in the last couple of years he's impressed me as the embodiment of the unflinching spirit we need to win. A player who's skills are earned rather than gifted, and who's achievements can all be traced back to hard work, dedication, and a willingness to selflessly put his body on the line for his team.

For mine, he's our best candidate to replace Johnno as captain.

FrediKanoute
08-04-2009, 06:27 AM

I think he is more like a Brett Kirk than a Brent harvey. Glad to see that he is havbing a steller start to the season though as a previous poster noted, finals footy is where reputations are made (or destroyed).

lemmon
08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I've heard people discussing that perhaps he has gone past the likes of Cross, what are your thoughts on that?
They have similiar ball winning ability and neither has standout pace but I think Boyd is a tad more creative with his disposal.

Bulldog Revolution
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Appears to have taken his game up a notch, but I'm inclined to agree with Mantis that he needs to have a big influence on some games against the top teams before it can be really judged

Go_Dogs
08-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Appears to have taken his game up a notch, but I'm inclined to agree with Mantis that he needs to have a big influence on some games against the top teams before it can be really judged

Whilst he was not our most outstanding player last finals series, I think he has done some very good things at important moments.

Was it our game v Adelaide at the MCG a few years ago where Boyd laid some very heavy tackles in the centre square which ultimately turned the momentum of play back our way and we won.

Obviously not the biggest game out, but I think he has, and will continue, to rise to the occassion when required.

LostDoggy
08-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Did you mean Robert Harvey?

not saying he is as good as robert but has more in common with him then Brent