PDA

View Full Version : Which player leaving hurt you the most?

The Coon Dog
07-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Lets be honest, it reads like a horror story when you go back through the years & see players arrive, make a name for themselves & then for one reason or another find themselves playing for another team.

Which one really cut to the quick with you? Why? Did/would you ever forgive them?

Let's just list a few that were terrific players who went on to ply their trade elsewhere:

George Bissett, Laurie Sandilands, Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round, Gary Dempsey, Kelvin Templeton, Brad Hardie, Jim Edmond, Tony McGiunness & Nathan Brown

For me its hard to split between Gary Dempsey & Kelvin Templeton.

Gary Dempsey wanted an elusive premiership & went to North (we got Mark Williams, John Moylan & Gary Cowton in return :eek:). In all honesty I wished with all my heart at that time that he failed.

Kelvin Templeton's 1980 seson was the best I've ever seen by a player wearing the red, white & blue. It was ironic that he went to Melbourne which was the club he played against when he did his knee. Again, I was shattered, but somewaht comforted when I saw him struggling to kick 40 metres for the Demons.

aker39
07-04-2009, 03:34 PM
The one that hurt the most was Jim Edmond.

The one that pissed me off the most was Nathan Brown. It wasn't really the fact that he left, more the fact that he did not try in his last seaon for the bulldogs.

Dancin' Douggy
07-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Brown offended the most. He was petulant selfish and dishonest, and Karma has well and truly whacked the bejesus out of him.

You haven't mentioned Leon Cameron's departure which I found really sad.
I'm sure he would have loved to spend his entire career at the Kennel.
Hated watching him run around in the yellow and black.
Montgomery as well. Remember when he kissed his jumper after goaling in a final against the Swans?
You don't trade that kind of passion away.

mighty_west
07-04-2009, 03:49 PM
For me, Kelvin Templeton & Brad Hardie, Templeton was really my first hero, he was the Chris Grant of the late 70's, the superstar player that 90% of Footscray supporters had on their backs.

I was guttered when he left, but later undestood that his knees were pretty much shot anyway, so we got to see the very best of him at the Doggies.

Hardie was another, his first season was just brilliant, unfortunatly he cops a fair wack from people saying he was a dud Brownlow medallist etc etc, but that season, he was as good as any Doggies player in any season of footy.

always right
07-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Templeton....easy. He was the reason you went to see the dogs back then. When I learned he was going I was devastated. As it turned out he wouldn't have been much chop for us anyway. His knee was stuffed and he looked like a big tank watching the game pass him by. Sad.

Losing Cameron was also sad. He was bulldogs through and through. As for Brown, he was appalling in his last season, trying to do the spectacular on every occasion when teammates were in better positions. The most selfish player I've seen. I'd be devastated if he never enjoyed team success:rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
07-04-2009, 03:52 PM
You haven't mentioned Leon Cameron's departure which I found
Montgomery as well. Remember when he kissed his jumper after goaling in a final against the Swans?
You don't trade that kind of passion away.

Good ones, forgot about those 2 as well as your namesake. :o

aker39
07-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd be devastated if he ever enjoyed team success:rolleyes:

I fixed it up for you

mighty_west
07-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Nathan Brown is the one i was most angry with, "If Darcy signs, i'll sign"....pffft yeah right.

My only wish was for him to see no finals action with his new club, and have no success [so far so good], his injury he copped, whilst it might have pleased quite a few, i wouldn't have wished that upon anyone, no one deserved an injury like that, that was horrible.

The Coon Dog
07-04-2009, 03:54 PM
The one that hurt the most was Jim Edmond.

Why was that A39?

mighty_west
07-04-2009, 03:55 PM
The most selfish player I've seen. I'd be devastated if he never enjoyed team success:rolleyes:

Didn't Nafan also drive away Luke Penny from the club? few rumblings at the time that Nafan used to really get stuck into him, only for Penny to goto the Saints?

aker39
07-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Why was that A39?

Because I loved his no nonsense approach. He was as tough as nails, and gave as good as he got. His mouthing off of Gubby was one of the best things of seen on a football field.

I had his number on my duffle coat and was shattered when he left.

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Farren Ray, i cried for weeks......

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 04:41 PM
The player i miss most is Jordy.....i only have the Bald Eagle to scream at now!

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Brown by a long way, just a money hungry little shit

Mofra
07-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Alot of angst towards Brown here - personally I think he is a prick of a bloke (having had some contact with him) but I don't blame him for leaving.
We were going to cut his salary on the back of him winning AA and I doubt too many players would stay at a club under those conditions.

The ones that hurt were:
Monty - Always liked him & I felt we were paying over the odds for the bald Eagle
Hawkins - Thought he could have been managed through 1 more season
Hardie - Was one of my favourite players

strebla
07-04-2009, 05:17 PM
At the time it was Jock but since reading Coon Dogs interview have really softened up to him Tony McGiunness told me at around rnd 17 he was going for family reasons never ever lied or tried to hide it also forgiven but that runt Brown with his arrogance and strut pisses me off!!

Mofra
07-04-2009, 05:18 PM
McGuinness, that was the first one I missed - he hand delivered a Bulldogs magazine to me when I was in grade 3 so was an early favourite of mine.

Scraggers
07-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Barry Round ... Absolute superstar who failed to get the opportunity to shine

Doug Hawkins ... even though he was pushed, seeing him in a Fitzroy jumper left me gutted ... I loved Doug ... not the way it should have ended

Jim Edmond ... Losing our skipper :(

But the one/s that hurt the most was Nathan Brown / Terry Wallace ... I honestly think their departures set the club back 5 years !!! AND TO END UP AT RICHMOND ... :mad:

aker39
07-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Brown by a long way, just a money hungry little shit

Summed up perfectly

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 05:32 PM
For me Monty, he was my favourite player at the time. Especially liked his high marking and hardness at the footy.

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Templeton

I can still see my 8 year old daughter standing on a seat in the southern stand at the MCG and yelling:

You traitor - Templeton over and over again when he did his warm-up lap with Melbourne when we played them for the first time after his clearance.

Very embarassing!

Mantis
07-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Tony McGuinness - Along with Brian Royal he was my favourite player in the late 80's. I can remember pleading with him to stay at the end of the 1990 after our final game. I could tell by answers that he was heading back to SA.

Rocket Science
07-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Leon Cameron...was a personal fave and to see him banished, let alone to that yellow and black swill, was shattering.

Mantis
07-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Leon Cameron...was a personal fave and to see him banished, let alone to that yellow and black swill, was shattering.

While I was sad to see him go the draft picks we got in return were put to very good use.

hujsh
07-04-2009, 06:08 PM
But the one/s that hurt the most was Nathan Brown / Terry Wallace ... I honestly think their departures set the club back 5 years !!! AND TO END UP AT RICHMOND ... :mad:

Long term I think we've ended up better for their departures. I'd much rather have our top picks in Cooney, Griff and Williams with Eade coaching.

ledge
07-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Brian Wilson anyone? he did go on to win a brownlow and we did give him the chop at a very young age.
Bernie Quinlan what star he turned out to be.

AndrewP6
07-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I was only a kid when the likes of Templeton were around...but as I kid I loved Jim Edmond... met him at the Oval a few times... so too Dougie... remember being disappointed when they left... but can't go past Nathan Brown... what a selfish, money hungry little toad... contrast that with Darcy who stayed, in the face of big money being thrown at him from rivals... now that is what I call loyalty! Brown and Wallace don't know the meaning of the word... I liked Plough and Brown before they turned their backs on us. I'm not a religious man, but when I see they unmitigated failures they've been a part of at Richmond, I smile, and think there may well be a God.

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Kym Koster dogged us a little bit, we spent a bit of time on him & he left.

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Templeton

I can still see my 8 year old daughter standing on a seat in the southern stand at the MCG and yelling:

You traitor - Templeton over and over again when he did his warm-up lap with Melbourne when we played them for the first time after his clearance.

Very embarassing!

My 10 year old son did that at the G against Nafan - when we first played against Richmond we lost:(

bulldog
07-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Also Monty was gutted when he left had the number 10 on my Back was so stoked when he came back will always cherish montys role in that finals win also Dougie hurt like hell and one that might surprise Kym Koster was a good player fantastic guy used to always talk to him before every game when i was a kid

GVGjr
07-04-2009, 07:22 PM
B Quinlan, K Templeton and T McGuinness. I was upset at losing Dempsey but I could understand why.

Before I Die
07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
In order of pain felt.

Gary Dempsey: He was the heart of the club.

Wee Georgie Bisset: God I hate Collingwood.

David Thorpe: Was my favourite player as a kid.

Scraggers
07-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Long term I think we've ended up better for their departures. I'd much rather have our top picks in Cooney, Griff and Williams with Eade coaching.

I agree with you ... when it happened though, it was like we were knee-capped

BulldogBelle
07-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Ian Dunstan - he went to North
If he had of stayed he may well of been made captain. Instead he went to North and failed. Poetic Justice.

Bernie Quinlan
Forgive him as he was sold and we needed the money.

Gary Dempsey
Was my hero. Have not forgiven him yet.

Kelvin Templeton
One of the handful of best players ever. He was broken down with two bad knees. We were broke and Melbourne paid a fortune for him. I was hoping for the sale. As expected he didn't do much for Melbourne and spent a lot of time out of the side injured. Saved our bacon when he left, we got a packet for him.

Brad Hardie
I heard that the problem was with Malthouse and his abuse of Hawkins and Hardie sticking up for moral principles. Guess Hardie had to leave. I forgive him.

Judas Brown
Ha ha ha ha ha you pric*!

Doug Hawkins
Club hero gets retired and joins another club. This was a dumb thing to do. I only just firgive him now - because he is dumb.

Leon Cameron
He was forced into the transfer. I thought that he was untouchable. But has turned out for the best as he has widened his experience that will now benefit the club,

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Judas and Wallet, I was a big fan of both at the time and when they left things looked really bad, Enter Peter Rohde...

But it is a journey and I think through all we are a lot better off than where we were heading. Thankyou Rodney! Stay with us forever!

I hope Griffen will stay with the club for a long time too.

angelopetraglia
07-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Great thread.

I guess we have been lucky in recent times that most of our elite have been very loyal (Grant, Smith, Johnston, Darcy and West) that was different to 20-30 years ago when many of our very best moved on. Since 1994 no player who has won the B&F has moved on, very different to the 60s, 70s, and 80s when players like Bisset, Dempsey, Templeton, Hardie and McGuiness all won the B&F and then broke everyone's heart.

To young for the Quinlan, Dempsey, Templeton, Round etc.

However the recent ones that have devastated me are;

Hawkins - just idolised him as a kid and could not believe he could play at another club (was good to hear Malthouse last night say that Purser and Hawkins were some of his favourite players to coach).

Brown - loved watching him play, all that arrogance, he was a freak at full flight. But unfortunately it appears that some of that arrogance on the field is very much part of his make up off the field and the way he left the club was disgraceful (especially how it played out for so long in the media). Would never, ever wish an injury on anyone (Brown included) but happy to see that Richmond are still a basket case.

bornadog
07-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Hated seeing Dempsey go, what a five times club champion, brownlow medalist hero of the Big V many times. I also hated seeing Hardie go, and Jimmy Edmond. Templeton was a big loss but I knew his career was over and he wouldn't do much at Melbourne.

In later years, I was pissed off with Brown and his attitude and the chasing of the dollar and his bum buddy Wallet.

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Alot of angst towards Brown here - personally I think he is a prick of a bloke (having had some contact with him) but I don't blame him for leaving.
We were going to cut his salary on the back of him winning AA and I doubt too many players would stay at a club under those conditions.

The ones that hurt were:
Monty - Always liked him & I felt we were paying over the odds for the bald Eagle
Hawkins - Thought he could have been managed through 1 more season
Hardie - Was one of my favourite players

I would have to agree about Brown - I came into contact with him at a member's luncheon some time ago - was sitting on a table with Scott West and Patrick Bowden, who were both lovely. Obviously, the players have to do this kind of PR and it must be boring for them, but I couldn't believe when Nathan sauntered over, avoided eye contact with all others on the table other than Westy, and made Westy turn around to talk to him for 5 minutes or so! How incredibly rude and arrogant I though he was. So, I think his karma has caught up with him, following Wallet for $'s.

The ones that have gutted me over the years would be Gary Dempsey, The Hawk, and probably Monty. I agree that the club could have managed the Hawk for one more season, I too hated seeing him run around in Fitzroy colours. Monty was a favourite - he always gave his all and played way above his weight and height division.

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 10:33 PM
In order of pain felt.

Gary Dempsey: He was the heart of the club.

Wee Georgie Bisset: God I hate Collingwood.

David Thorpe: Was my favourite player as a kid.

Just had to reply to this one Before I Die (great name - I concur!) - David Thorpe (16) was my very favourite player when I was young - but I can't remember where he went?

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Yep Monty, though it had a fantastically happy ending.

Simon Atkins. I suppose he was cut rather than left, but I liked him.

Happy Days
07-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Farren Ray, i cried for weeks......

Tell me about it...I had to back that hack up for 5 years to my mates, only to see him leave and play well for someone else.

:mad::mad::mad:

1eyedog
08-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Templeton. Me like every other child under 12 had 31 on the back of their Bluey. Suicidal when I heard he was going to Melbourne. Dad said he was injured and shot but to me he was the light that shone over Western Oval between 1978-80. My favourite and lucky number has always been 31, followed by 3 then 7. I was also at the first Melbourne-Footscray game after he left and as the Ds did their warm ups I spied Templeton and to me he looked lankier, not as powerful and running around as if his leg was about to break. He didn't look like he should have been out there. That day was the most bizarre day I have ever had, watching him in blue and red.

Big Will
08-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Easy one for me... Monty. He signed my hat at McDonalds when I was 10yrs old, then when I wrote a letter to him a year later I had a reply in the mail within 2 weeks :)

Also took some unbelievable marks in his time before he went to Port. I even cheered for him when he played for the Power.

He was and probably will be my last real favourite Bulldogs player. Since then there's been Nathan Brown and Will Minson... :confused:

LostDoggy
08-04-2009, 12:55 AM
I was upset when Monty was moved on. I had a lot of people say that the Bulldogs always traded their best players.

Before I Die
08-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Just had to reply to this one Before I Die (great name - I concur!) - David Thorpe (16) was my very favourite player when I was young - but I can't remember where he went?

Richmond. Was past his prime and I suspect he was probably sold by the club for a transfer fee, but it still hurt. In those days there was very little team success and as a kid i cheered as much for individual players as for the club. When they left to play with other teams it felt very much like a betrayal.

FrediKanoute
08-04-2009, 06:33 AM
In terms of hurt, Edmonds and Hardie in the 80´s were a blow because both left when the dogs had put tpgether a good side capable of going all the way. Their loss set us back a fair way.

In the 90´s, losing Tony McGuinness and Kym Koster to the Crows were tough to take. Mcguinness´departure left a sizeable hole in our midfield and in our experince levels and Koster left just as he was deveoping into a quality player for us. The trading of Monty was another disappointment

In the 00´s it has to be Cameron for mine. Loved that guy as a player!

LostDoggy
08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Going back a few years I guess, but has to be Bernie Quinlan.
Was obvious he was incredibly talented all along- could play anywhere CHB, CHF,FF, FB, Centre, Wing, even ruck at one stage as I recall. Wore No.2, oozed class- and just summed up the doggies woes that such talent was forced to leave in that period. That he went on to win a Brownlow from Full Forward summed up his calibre as a player.

LostDoggy
08-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Another to Richmond

The departure of Quinlan, Templeton and Hardie, whilst difficult to swallow at the time, probably saved the club from financial disaster.

Around tha time, the selling of champion players acted as our primary source of income

LostDoggy
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Mine would be Cameron (I remember crying when I heard that...I was like 8 though so it's OK ;)), Monty and also Brown (actually, I might have cried about that too...oh well, glad to see him gone now).

The Pie Man
08-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Nathan Brown - faced a moment where he could take the Chris Grant high road or the whining, mercenary Richmond road and chose the latter. Unforgiveable. Was very happy he ended up chasing spoons (I'd love to know if any other player ever has played in tow consecutive spoons with different clubs)

Very disappointing. Especially when Jade Rawlings was what he was in return.

The Coon Dog
08-04-2009, 07:52 PM
(I'd love to know if any other player ever has played in tow consecutive spoons with different clubs)

Damien Monkhorst did with Collingwood & St.Kilda in 1999 & 2000.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm not quite as old as some on here, but for me:

On loyalty - Monty and Leon was a kick in the guts. But could be argued we won in the long term though.

Sadness - Doug wearing the Fitzroy colours was all wrong.

Regretful - Scotty Wests 'leaving' and how it happened (by both sides) was hurtful.

Annoynace - Farren Ray and the way he did it.

Anger - I hope you never play finals you bent legged money hungry prick!!!

lemmon
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Judas Brown, just because the way he went about it, makes my blood boil

Happy Days
08-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Does it have to be someone who was traded/delisted?

Chris Grant's final season was not the way he should've been sent off.

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Demps leaving shattered me, I was about 13. Quinlan as well.

Otherwise seeing players leave to go to Collingwood. Georgie was bad enough, but Laurie, what were you thinking?

chef
09-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Luke Penny hurt at the time, as we were calling out for key position players and it looked like we had found one. Then we wasted the draft pick we got for him on Faulkner(please correct if I'm wrong).

lemmon
09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Does it have to be someone who was traded/delisted?

Chris Grant's final season was not the way he should've been sent off.

There are a few like that, Westys last season was shattering. Seeing him hobble around in the VFL brought a tear to my eye.

Bulldog Revolution
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
In terms of hurt, Edmonds and Hardie in the 80´s were a blow because both left when the dogs had put tpgether a good side capable of going all the way. Their loss set us back a fair way.

In the 90´s, losing Tony McGuinness and Kym Koster to the Crows were tough to take. Mcguinness´departure left a sizeable hole in our midfield and in our experince levels and Koster left just as he was deveoping into a quality player for us. The trading of Monty was another disappointment

In the 00´s it has to be Cameron for mine. Loved that guy as a player!

You've hit most of mine on the head Fredi

I was too young to understand why Hardie could possibly be leaving.

McGuinness was an enormous blow - the guy was an incredible player in his absolute prime. I think its the equivalent to losing a Griffen, Cooney type in their absolute prime. To lose Koster for nothing was an annoying blow also, as we'd really put some time in to him and particularly when Essendon had lost Todd Ridley to Freo and been rewarded with a draft pick that became Mathew Lloyd.

Nobody wanted Monty to go. I dealt surprisingly well with Cameron leaving and thought maybe it was a positive move for both parties.

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2009, 05:38 PM
To lose Koster for nothing was an annoying blow also, as we'd really put some time in to him and particularly when Essendon had lost Todd Ridley to Freo and been rewarded with a draft pick that became Mathew Lloyd.

I reckon we got a top 10 pick for Koster - and then promptly blew it on Jakovich.

I suspect you mean we lost McGuinness for nothing - that makes the Todd Ridley thing relevant and hurtful.

LostDoggy
09-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Dempsey for me, I was 9yo. Seemed like a good deal at least at the time, we got 3 players for 1.

LostDoggy
09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm not quite as old as some on here, but for me:

On loyalty - Monty and Leon was a kick in the guts. But could be argued we won in the long term though.

Sadness - Doug wearing the Fitzroy colours was all wrong.

Regretful - Scotty Wests 'leaving' and how it happened (by both sides) was hurtful.

Annoynace - Farren Ray and the way he did it.

Anger - I hope you never play finals you bent legged money hungry prick!!!

What did he do? Win-win i thought.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Monty for mine.

He was my favourite player at the time, and I was only very young, I couldn't understand why he was traded. He's a very polite and well mannered guy too. I followed his time over at Port a bit and was very happy for him to end up winning a Premiership.

Monty's return was fantastic even though he was past his prime. Definately felt like an old "son of the west" had come back. I remember cheering loudly for his first goal back against the Dons, and he played a hell of a game v Collingwood in that final too. Inspirational after copping such a heavy knock.

bulldogtragic
09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
What did he do? Win-win i thought.
Farren, through his manager, announcing to the world he was leaving gave us absolutley no bargaining power. Then his refusal to gom to a Perth team worsened our position again.

I wanted him to stay and if he had to leave so be it, but don't hold your curent team to ransom. A slight increase in picks for a top 3 pick with 50-100 games should be worth more than that.

But young Jones has decent wraps on him so we will see. Farren seems to be more consistent (two decent games in a row) and the Saints were happy with a bargain. And we didn't trade him for Setanta, so an even better position for us.

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I know Monty was spectacular and by all accounts a good bloke and popular, but I'm surprised about the amount of love for him.

In his last year with us he played as a permanent forward and managed 14 goals in 23 games. He won his AA as a floating HB which he would never have played for us (we had Rohan Smith).

If Monty hadn't been traded there was a very real chance he was going to spend a fair chunk of the year in the ressies. If he had his career could very well have ended then.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-04-2009, 10:22 PM
At the time KT leaving was devastating for me. I was 7 when he won the Brownlow and he was my footy hero. Later as I grew older and learned his knees were shot when he left us my disappointment lessened appreciably.

Brad Hardie leaving also left me feeling quite bitter, probably on par with Nathan Brown going.

It might seem bizare but I was pretty sad when Rod Macpherson left us to go to the Bears. His brother Steve was one of my faves, and I liked the idea of having a set of brother at the club, even if in reality Rod wasn't anywhere close to being a top shelf loss for us.

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Farren, through his manager, announcing to the world he was leaving gave us absolutley no bargaining power. Then his refusal to gom to a Perth team worsened our position again.
I wanted him to stay and if he had to leave so be it, but don't hold your curent team to ransom. A slight increase in picks for a top 3 pick with 50-100 games should be worth more than that.

But young Jones has decent wraps on him so we will see. Farren seems to be more consistent (two decent games in a row) and the Saints were happy with a bargain. And we didn't trade him for Setanta, so an even better position for us.

He didnt want to go back to Perth. What is wrong with that? You are pee'd off because we might of recieved more if he went back to Perth. Its not all about the Western Bulldogs 42-C-3.

hujsh
10-04-2009, 02:44 PM
He didnt want to go back to Perth. What is wrong with that? You are pee'd off because we might of recieved more if he went back to Perth. Its not all about the Western Bulldogs 42-C-3.

He didn't help our bargaining position by saying he wouldn't. I'm not saying he should have went there so we got a better deal but we may have got a better deal from a Melbourne club due to the possibility that he could go west.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Bernie Quinlan for mine. He played some great games for us but his goal kicking feats at Fitzroy were magnificent. He also won the Brownlow with Fitzroy. He would have been one of our all time greats if he had stayed.
Another who I was sorry to see go was Fred Cook. Yes he stuffed things up for himself later in life but he was simply a fantastic player for Port for many years. I just wonder how good he would have been if he had stayed with us and whether things would have turned out different for him.
Sadly we'll never know.

Remi Moses
10-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Dempsey. I was heartbroken when he left,didn't get to play in his premiership side though:D:D

azabob
10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I know Monty was spectacular and by all accounts a good bloke and popular, but I'm surprised about the amount of love for him.

In his last year with us he played as a permanent forward and managed 14 goals in 23 games. He won his AA as a floating HB which he would never have played for us (we had Rohan Smith).

If Monty hadn't been traded there was a very real chance he was going to spend a fair chunk of the year in the ressies. If he had his career could very well have ended then.

SS is it possible people listing Monty are too young to remember other players leaving. Im 30 and I cant really recall many players leaving the Bulldogs bar Monty, Powell, Cameron and Brown? Which is a good thing that we haven't lost any great players since when the early to mid 80's?

1eyedog
10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
SS is it possible people listing Monty are too young to remember other players leaving. Im 30 and I cant really recall many players leaving the Bulldogs bar Monty, Powell, Cameron and Brown? Which is a good thing that we haven't lost any great players since when the early to mid 80's?

Penny, Koster and McGuiness were good players in the 90s and they left holes after their departure, especially Tony.

azabob
10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Penny, Koster and McGuiness were good players in the 90s and they left holes after their departure, especially Tony.

With all respect to Penny & Koster they are not up with the names of some of the players listed. McGunnies yes he is up there.
I read the thread as more of which player leaving hurt "you" the most, not the team.
Koster was a good solid player for us, Penny still was in and out of our best 20.

All 3 players you listed did not go to their new clubs and improve out of sight.

Bulldog Revolution
10-04-2009, 07:58 PM

I know I am labouring the point here but McGuinness was far better than just a good player and really as footballers Penny and Koster dont really deserve a mention in the same sentence.

The post here covers McGuinness in depth

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=140

1eyedog
10-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I know I am labouring the point here but McGuinness was far better than just a good player and really as footballers Penny and Koster dont really deserve a mention in the same sentence.

Yep just responding to that particular post, saw the McGuiness thread and I did say Tony especially. Glad to see you're a fan and that your appreciation for him has not abated.

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Does anybody know what happened to Les Bamblet he had a great 1985 and then was not seen much of again, I was very young at the time and he was my favourite player, seemed a waste of a very talented player.

Sockeye Salmon
10-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Does anybody know what happened to Les Bamblet he had a great 1985 and then was not seen much of again, I was very young at the time and he was my favourite player, seemed a waste of a very talented player.

Unfortunately we had to let him go after he ate two trainers, a barman and a kid from the country we were trying to recruit.

The Pie Man
11-04-2009, 11:28 AM

The Penny trade hurt the club (and p_ssed me off) as he (and this is if I'm remembering correctly) requested the trade after we'd already offloaded Kingsley Hunter, leaving us very light on for talls the following year. I was led to believe we may have kept Hunter (another of the bizarro world forwards played as defenders at Footscray) if we knew Penny wanted to go. Hunter leaving was no biggie to me though, watching him run out of defence, get pushed onto his left side and promptly put it 5 rows back on the full I could do without. Big unit though.

Great left foot on McGuinness, didn't begrudge his move to the Crows though.

LostDoggy
11-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Well, on a Western Bulldogs fan site, in a thread about which players fans were upset about the manner of their leaving, yes, it is all about the Western Bulldogs.

Objectivity need not be applied in a situation like this -- the very question "which player leaving hurts YOU the most" is subjective. If you don't like Western Bulldogs fans being Western Bulldogs fans I question why you bother visiting or posting on a site like this, as we will surely continue to annoy you with our parochialism?

Dancin' Douggy
11-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Well, on a Western Bulldogs fan site, in a thread about which players fans were upset about the manner of their leaving, yes, it is all about the Western Bulldogs.

Objectivity need not be applied in a situation like this -- the very question "which player leaving hurts YOU the most" is subjective. If you don't like Western Bulldogs fans being Western Bulldogs fans I question why you bother visiting or posting on a site like this, as we will surely continue to annoy you with our parochialism?

Hmmmmm. Have to agree with Lantern here.

LostDoggy
12-04-2009, 01:16 AM

I see. Farren Ray is a champion until he decide's to further his career somewhere else. Then he is a prick. Seems fair to me.

LostDoggy
12-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I see. Farren Ray is a champion until he decide's to further his career somewhere else. Then he is a prick. Seems fair to me.

Yes it is. As Lantern mentioned since it is a Bulldogs site, you seem to forget that often.

LostDoggy
12-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes it is. As Lantern mentioned since it is a Bulldogs site, you seem to forget that often.

Yep, I would have to agree - fairness has nothing to do with it. I am a one-eyed bulldog and proud of it, that's why I joined this site. I'm happy to talk about other clubs (minimally) but surely this is all about the doggies? :cool:

John Thompson
13-04-2009, 10:46 PM

Thorpe went to richmond as well. Richmond have taken quite a few Bulldogs players and staff.

bulldogtragic
13-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Thorpe went to richmond as well. Richmond have taken quite a few Bulldogs players and staff.
Wallet (winning average less than Frawley), Brown (nothing like he was), Pat Bowden, Jordan McMahon (for Callan Ward)....

What pick did we get for The Tin Man and who did we pick up?

The Coon Dog
13-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Wallet (winning average less than Frawley), Brown (nothing like he was), Pat Bowden, Jordan McMahon (for Callan Ward)....

What pick did we get for The Tin Man and who did we pick up?

A pick in the 50's from memory & we drafted Monty.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 12:14 AM
im most upset about brown as he was young player who left for money