PDA

View Full Version : Dylan Addison

comrade
07-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Dylan is one of the most fascinating players on our list. Hard as nails, no doubting that, but with a query on his disposal. How does everyone think he’s gone in the first 2 rounds?

He’s clearly finding more of the ball, therefore having more of an impact on the contest, which he probably struggled with his first few years. I’d be interested to hear some thoughts about his role this year and also in the future. Personally, I can see him becoming a Brad Sewell-type defensive midfielder, who can win his own ball and also have the ability to go back and mind a small forward.

Another question to ponder – is he offering more value than say, Sam Reid – who can win contested ball in the middle and put the after burners on? Are they even fighting for a similar spot?

Discuss my fellow WOOFers.

Mofra
07-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I think Dylan is one of the most fascinating players on our list. Hard as nails, no doubting that, but with a query on his disposal. How does everyone think he’s gone in the first 2 rounds?

I'm not sure after this pre-season & two games to date there are the same queries on his disposal. Sure, he kicked a spectacular goal vs teh Roos, but his field kicking was quite good during the NAB cup game and I can't remember a single missed possession this year that didn't come under significant opposition pressure.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him play all 22 games of the regular season, plus all 3 finals games ;)

LostDoggy
07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Last year Eade suggested he was perhaps the hardest player on our list when he went down with injury. I think his attack on both the ball and the man are great, he closes well in defence and his disposal has been pretty good this year.

When fit Lake, Williams, Morris and Hargrave will be the first named in our backline (if we persist in playing Gilbee up the ground). This leaves two to three spots with Addison, Callan,Tiller, Everitt and maybe Reid and Wood all possible inclusions.

They can all play but it might come down to who the likely matchups are.

Addison may also be looked at as a possible in and under or tagging midfiled rotation in which case he is competing against, Picken, Gia, Ward, Higgins etc assuming Boyd, Cross, Griffen and Cooney are fit.

Gee nice to have some depth isn't it, now if we can just get Grant, Boumann and Cordy to step up...

bulldogtragic
07-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Good player at this stage, and we missed him late last year - no doubting that.

He has courage which defies common sense and has closing sped and tackles very well.

There is still a question mark in my mind as to his disposal. Having said that i still question Williams and Crosses kicking to some extent. If he can move into the midfield and continue to develop then the sky is the limit for him. He will never be flashy Cooney or Griffen, but it takes all sorts if he can play a Sewell type role and go back as a genuie defender as well if the circumstances warrant it, then we have just another layer of flexibility in the team which is what Eade is after.

In a nutshell - He is very important to us and has more improvement in him.

A 'Scott Clayton Special' in deed. Makes up for Jesse Wells selection...

Bulldog Revolution
10-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Listened to the GThomas inspired spruiking of Baker on Mondays Footy Classified, and after having seen a little of him in action over the first two weeks Addison moves a little bit similar.

Both players play like they're big, but trapped in relatively small bodies.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 12:28 AM
i really like addison and think he is getting better all the time rate him verry highly

Jasper
16-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I have questioned his spot in the side at times because of his poor disposal but after watching him on Monday I may just have to eat my words. It was by far the best game I have seen him play.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 01:07 AM
i agree by far his best of his young caree

The Underdog
16-04-2009, 07:44 AM
I have questioned his spot in the side at times because of his poor disposal but after watching him on Monday I may just have to eat my words. It was by far the best game I have seen him play.

His disposal was mostly clean, especially his kick into Aker in the last quarter which was a gem. His one percenters, tackling and general desperation was exceptional. His stats may not have looked it but he was one of the most influential players on the game.

always right
16-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Good player at this stage, and we missed him late last year - no doubting that.

He has courage which defies common sense and has closing sped and tackles very well.

There is still a question mark in my mind as to his disposal. Having said that i still question Williams and Crosses kicking to some extent. If he can move into the midfield and continue to develop then the sky is the limit for him. He will never be flashy Cooney or Griffen, but it takes all sorts if he can play a Sewell type role and go back as a genuie defender as well if the circumstances warrant it, then we have just another layer of flexibility in the team which is what Eade is after.

In a nutshell - He is very important to us and has more improvement in him.

A 'Scott Clayton Special' in deed. Makes up for Jesse Wells selection...

I don't think any of the three mentioned will ever be elite kickers in our team but when you think about it, Williams just needs further game time, Addison's disposal skills are definitely trending upwards, and Crossy has improved 100% on what he was like several years ago.

At this stage they simply need to work within their limitations. Crossy is fine hitting a target 25-30 meters away, Williams has a sound action and will get better, and Addison is generally solid within 40 meters. It's only when he stretches for the extra distance that he loses penetration.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Fast becoming a very important piece of our puzzle young Addison. Tough, quick, takes them on and has definitely improved his decision making. His work forward of the centre on the weekend was very composed.

Mantis
16-04-2009, 09:52 AM
His disposal was mostly clean, especially his kick into Aker in the last quarter which was a gem. His one percenters, tackling and general desperation was exceptional. His stats may not have looked it but he was one of the most influential players on the game.

I know you are talking about our most recent game, but I think you can change was to are for the bolded section. While his skills may waver from time to time we know that we will get a committed effort each and every time Dylan is near the ball which makes him a very useful player.

Noticed that he was getting a bit of love from the TV commentators on the weekend. Andy Maher mentioned that he is well resepcted amongst the group and his injury last year robbed the team of a vital (if under-rated) member of the team. These words were backed up by the doyen of special comments, Mr Robert Walls.

Cyberdoggie
16-04-2009, 10:56 AM
He adds a lot of toughness to the side, he's that 4th defender that can also run with,
Gives us a similarity to Geelong with Rooke and Mackie.

He took quite a long time to start to impress at AFL level, I for one was not a huge fan as he just didn't seem to be able to get his hands on the ball. Since then he has learned that his art is in the 1%ers and physical stuff. Started the year a little scratchy but has improved each game.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Noticed that he was getting a bit of love from the TV commentators on the weekend. Andy Maher mentioned that he is well resepcted amongst the group and his injury last year robbed the team of a vital (if under-rated) member of the team. These words were backed up by the doyen of special comments, Mr Robert Walls.

They made a big deal about everyone getting around Addison after he set up that Akermanis goal, Aker didn't even celebrate, just went straight to him. Definitely the sort of bloke you love on your side.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I really like this kid, seems to improve every game and a vital part of the squad.
We need hard players a la Geelong and we missed him when he was injured.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 11:47 AM
i have been a knocker od DFA in recent times because of his decision making and skills under pressure but am happy to eat my own words as he has improved this year.

It is amazing what a bit of confidence does as i now think he plays without the doubt of i i play a bad game i will be dropped so the pressure to not stuff up is off him and therefore he makes less mistakes.

The mind works in funny ways

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Reminds me of a good wine I had, just get better with age.

CEDE NULLIS

azabob
16-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I really like this kid, seems to improve every game and a vital part of the squad.
We need hard players a la Geelong and we missed him when he was injured.

Agree totally. You need players like Addison playing finals and in particular Grand Finals when the heat is really on. He is in our best 22 if not 18.