PDA

View Full Version : AFL rebuffs poaching Gold Coast

The Coon Dog
07-04-2009, 11:50 PM
AFL rebuffs poaching Gold Coast (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25305708-19742,00.html)

THE AFL rejected a Gold Coast bid to loosen anti-poaching laws, setting the scene for a bidding war in the week after the 2010 season.

The Gold Coast, which will enter the competition in 2011, had hoped to be allowed to sign players before the 2010 season finished, and feels that being given only days to sign 16 uncontracted players is untenable.

Last year there were just eight days between the Grand Final and the start of trade week, with a similar period expected after the 2010 season.

In theory, if the Gold Coast club wants to sign one of the stars from the 2010 Grand Final, it will have just over a week to formally approach him, woo him, agree to terms and sign him.

While former West Coast captain Chris Judd moved to Carlton in the November national draft in 2007, the Gold Coast wants to finalise signing players before the trade period and then consider trading some of its high draft picks for more players.
Related Links

The AFL yesterday confirmed it had rebuffed the Gold Coast's approach, worried that giving permission for mid-season signings would create the same culture that pervades rugby league.

In that code, players often commit to rival clubs during the season, creating perceptions of disloyalty and mercenary-style behaviour.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said yesterday there would be no rule alterations for the Gold Coast club.

"The rules as they stand are that you can't talk to a player while he is contracted to a club," he said.

Privately, the AFL knows the Gold Coast may come to agreements with rival players but wait until the season has finished before announcing any deals.

The Gold Coast has argued it needs certainty in its contract talks, worried a mid-year verbal agreement with a player may be broken post-season when the talks become public.

Retired Hawthorn champion Shane Crawford this week labelled the new Gold Coast side the biggest test of player loyalty in the history of the game.

Gold Coast has both the inclination and the war chest to attract the AFL's biggest names.

Coach Guy McKenna has said Lance Franklin, Gary Ablett, Luke Hodge and Adam Cooney were all in the club's sights.

It also has an extra $1 million in its salary cap for 2011, money sure to be thrown at potential Gold Coast players.

Under the new recruiting rules, the Gold Coast can lure one uncontracted player from every club, with that side being compensated with a draft pick.

FrediKanoute
08-04-2009, 06:42 AM
AFL rebuffs poaching Gold Coast (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25305708-19742,00.html)

Retired Hawthorn champion Shane Crawford this week labelled the new Gold Coast side the biggest test of player loyalty in the history of the game.

Gold Coast has both the inclination and the war chest to attract the AFL's biggest names.

Coach Guy McKenna has said Lance Franklin, Gary Ablett, Luke Hodge and Adam Cooney were all in the club's sights.

It also has an extra $1 million in its salary cap for 2011, money sure to be thrown at potential Gold Coast players.

Under the new recruiting rules, the Gold Coast can lure one uncontracted player from every club, with that side being compensated with a draft pick.

That´s a worry......:mad: Just as we´re building a really solid team having a guy like Cooney poached would be a disaster.....lets hope he is more interested in glory rather than $$$$$

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 12:31 AM
they have talking williams and griffin

wb_age
16-04-2009, 12:38 AM
What?

bulldogtragic
16-04-2009, 11:17 AM
The GC dream team has Tommy (CHB) Gilbee (HBF) and Griffen (Wing).

If that happens, i will commit unspeakable crimes upon the AFL. No way this should be allowed.

comrade
16-04-2009, 11:24 AM

If that happens, i will commit unspeakable crimes upon the AFL. No way this should be allowed.

While they're at it why not chuck in Ward, Grant, Hill and Higgins.

Bloody wannabee pilfering pirates.

Mofra
16-04-2009, 11:28 AM
O'Keefe? Would they take a guy who has dominated VFL for a couple of years, and has an AFL ready body?

Go_Dogs
16-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Not sure they'll be able to just take the best 3 players from every club?? From my understanding they get first access to one un-contracted player from each club, and from there they have to bargain and barter with trades etc?

I'm not sure exactly how it works in regards to the other un-contracted players, but surely they don't get to just leave a club, head to the Gold Coast with no return for the original club?

Either way, no chance of them getting Tommy, Gilbee and Griffen from us. Surely not. :confused:

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I hope they dont touch any of our Best 22..

But they have some powerful picks to use to achieve this.

What if they threw (for example) Pick 2 & 9 or something at us for Cooney at the end of the 2010 season..they are gunna offer most clubs something hard to resist

They are gunna make clubs really think about the options, never do I want to see any of our Best 22 leave but unfortunately I think they will be able to snag someone like Williams over a mid range pick as we may still be lacking that tall forward option :|

bulldogtragic
16-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Not sure they'll be able to just take the best 3 players from every club?? From my understanding they get first access to one un-contracted player from each club, and from there they have to bargain and barter with trades etc?

I'm not sure exactly how it works in regards to the other un-contracted players, but surely they don't get to just leave a club, head to the Gold Coast with no return for the original club?

Either way, no chance of them getting Tommy, Gilbee and Griffen from us. Surely not. :confused:
Not saying they will/can do that.

There was something in a paper apparently from GC17 - with their dream team of poached players. These were the 3 dogs players mentioned in the team.

I would hope after the strong stance taken against Brown and Smorgon's strong position about loyalty and players at our club being here because they want to be and want to be wetern community citizens may have s trong resolve in our group.

I hope.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 02:04 PM

We have talking Williams and Griffen too. It's amazing what they've learnt to say.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Re: the thread, it's all bluff and bluster anyway. No way clubs are going to let their gun players end up at the Gold Coast, but GC17 have to put up all the guff in the world as a bargaining position, and eventually end up with a range of mid-level players plus maybe one or two aging superstars from an under-achieving club (Pavlich anyone?).

Happens everytime a 'new glamour team' is introduced into a competition, the reality is that they are just another team, with a salary cap the same as everyone (meaning that their 'dream team' is just that), only with more teething problems, being a start-up. Melbourne Storm didn't end up with anyone of real note (apart from Lazarus, an aging superstar) when they started, the new A-League Gold Coast team has poached mainly from overseas, Port only got Wanganeen (an aging superstar).

They can't poach everyone by paying over the odds for them and still stay under the salary cap. Just doesn't work like that -- the media will keep beating it up though, but that's their problem.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Re: the thread, it's all bluff and bluster anyway. No way clubs are going to let their gun players end up at the Gold Coast, but GC17 have to put up all the guff in the world as a bargaining position, and eventually end up with a range of mid-level players plus maybe one or two aging superstars from an under-achieving club (Pavlich anyone?).

Happens everytime a 'new glamour team' is introduced into a competition, the reality is that they are just another team, with a salary cap the same as everyone (meaning that their 'dream team' is just that), only with more teething problems, being a start-up. Melbourne Storm didn't end up with anyone of real note (apart from Lazarus, an aging superstar) when they started, the new A-League Gold Coast team has poached mainly from overseas, Port only got Wanganeen (an aging superstar).

They can't poach everyone by paying over the odds for them and still stay under the salary cap. Just doesn't work like that -- the media will keep beating it up though, but that's their problem.
Only problem is their salary cap has a lot more room than everyone elses.

But in the main i agree, suck it and see. If we have got a true culture at the club and they are brothers destined for a premiership and money isnt the main motivator than we should be ok. I could understand a second or third year fringe player heading up their for opportunties, i think Reid is from the GC.

Happy Days
16-04-2009, 07:49 PM
We have talking Williams and Griffen too. It's amazing what they've learnt to say.

Hahahaha.
Well played :D.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I think our guys are pretty happy and settled at the club, especially with the new facilities and (in my opinion) one of the best coaches around, as well as the feeling that success is either for the taking or just around the corner.

However,....if we have won a premiership, we may have salary cap headaches and could potentially lose a couple of players - I would think Josh Hill would be one and perhaps Liam Jones, Sam Reid and Paul O'Shea.

GetDimmaBack
16-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I think our guys are pretty happy and settled at the club, especially with the new facilities and (in my opinion) one of the best coaches around, as well as the feeling that success is either for the taking or just around the corner.

However,....if we have won a premiership, we may have salary cap headaches and could potentially lose a couple of players - I would think Josh Hill would be one and perhaps Liam Jones, Sam Reid and Paul O'Shea.

Why Josh Hill?