PDA

View Full Version : Rd 3 Opposition Player Profile - Mathew Richardson

LostDoggy
09-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Matthew Richardson

http://www.flyingstart.com.au/images/players/richmond_tigers/matthew_richardson_small.jpg

#12 Richmond Tigers

Games: 278 Born: March 19, 1975

Goals: 794

Height: 195cm

Position: Midfield, Forward

I thought I'd give this game analysis thing a go, I haven't done one before so please go easy on me. I realise that people are usually invited to do a write up but I thought I'd take the liberty this week, hope this doesn't put anyone out.

Here goes.

Who else would we choose to focus on in the lead up to this Rd 3 clash except Mathew Richardson, the orignal thorn in the Bulldogs side.

This man has terrorised our backline for the last 12 years and has had some of his most stunning performances against us. Richo has been a much malgined player over the years and this has had to do mainly with errant goal kicking.

Richo has always been a wonderul mark of the football and his work rate is as good as it gets. Over the years his ability to work our backmen over by leading up to the half forward flanks/wing, then doubling back inside the 50 has been amazing to watch. However, when Rich has the ball in his hands it has always been a toss of the coin as to whether or not he actually scores.

As time has gone on and TW entered the club it was quite evident that the entire weight of the forward line, if not the club rested firmly on the shoulders of this man. Richo, who is renound for wearing his heart on his sleeve would show every bit of his pfrustration and pressure if the ball was not going his way.

In order to prolong his career and take the pressure off, TW took him out of the forward line in and put him on the wing. The move proved so successful that it almost landed the big man a Brownlow last year. He still managed a bag of goals and was a pivitol reason for Richmonds climb back up the ladder. Proving that even at the ripe old age of 33, Richo is still as dominent as ever and has the ability to lift his entire team to victory.

There is no doubt in my mind that if we can curb the influence of Richo then we will go a very long way to winning this game.

taken from Richmond Website

A move to the wing after the round three loss to Collingwood last year proved a masterstroke, with the star veteran averaging 18 touches, finishing equal third in the Brownlow Medal, taking the most home and away marks in the AFL (222) and still topping the club’s goalkicking with 48. Will look to continue his free-wheeling role, despite turning 34 in March.

Player honours: 3rd Brownlow Medal 2008 (equal); best and fairest 2007; 2nd best and fairest 1996, 1999, 2002, 2005; 3rd best and fairest 2008; All-Australian 1996, 1999, 2008; International Rules Series 1999; leading goalkicker 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008; AFL Rising Star nominee 1993; Alex Jesaulenko Medal 1996.

Brownlow Medal: 2008 votes 22; career votes 134.
Draft history: 1992 National AFL Draft father-son selection (Richmond).

How can we stop the big man?

Many theories have been thrown around about the most effective way to nullify the impact of Richo come Monday Arvo.

Some have been asking for a two progned approach, a defender if he travels inside 50 and a wingman/attacking halfback should he move up onto the wing, with the purpose of hurting him the other way.

The other option is to go defensive and have the one player go with him all day.

Personally I like the latter of the two options. I would put Tom Williams on him and shut him right down, shoulder to shoulder for 120 minutes. Richo is such a hard worker that I don't think switching players will work and he will expose that and kill us up forward.

Not only does Tom Williams have the aerobic capacity to run with Richo, but he has the strength to not get pushed off the contest. There has been a comment or two about Tommy not being smart enough to stay with Richo, I dont Tommy is that bad in the brains department and for me he is the perfect match up.

Below is a little glimps of what this man has done to us in the recent past!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbF1gZd2Ljw

The Coon Dog
09-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Astute choice TAMA.

Yes, he certainly has been a thorn in our side.

I like the idea of Tom Williams on him, much like Jarred Waite played him in round 1.

It amazes me that those feral hillbilly Tiger supporters with flanelette shirts are the first to pour scorn on him! Just think if only we had him in our side over the years.

As I said in my preview, stop him & you go a long way to stopping Richmond.

LostDoggy
09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Astute choice TAMA.

I like the idea of Tom Williams on him, much like Jarred Waite played him in round 1.

It amazes me that those feral hillbilly Tiger supporters with flanelette shirts are the first to pour scorn on him! Just think if only we had him in our side over the years.

Too kind TCD....

I think the way Richmond supporters treat Richo is a perfect reflection of how they support their club. When their up you get 80 thousand, when the lose you get a doorstep full of shit first thing in the morning.

LostDoggy
09-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Excellent work TAMA. I concur with your Williams on Richo scenario. Hopefully with our more impressive midfield the ball won't be heading down their way that often anyway.

lemmon
09-04-2009, 10:11 PM
IMO we'll see him spend most of his time at FF this week, the tiges forward line lacks structure without him and they really need the presence of the big man down there.

azabob
10-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Astute choice TAMA.

What about Griffen?

hujsh
10-04-2009, 07:45 PM
What about Griffen?

Wouldn't have a chance aerially. Happy to let Griff be free.

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 08:19 PM
It could be a great chance to throw a challenge to "skinny" Everitt. I know this will be a huge ask for him but could be the making of him as a player. In saying this a think Everitt will be a very good player for us for years to come, but don't know where his best position is would love to see him roaming on the wing in years to come. The coaches are in the best to position to know is mental and physical state at the moment and how best to manage his development.

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 09:47 PM
It could be a great chance to throw a challenge to "skinny" Everitt. I know this will be a huge ask for him but could be the making of him as a player. In saying this a think Everitt will be a very good player for us for years to come, but don't know where his best position is would love to see him roaming on the wing in years to come. The coaches are in the best to position to know is mental and physical state at the moment and how best to manage his development.

Welcome to WOOF Slapper, glad to have you on board.

Interesting idea -- one out of left field, but not without merit. Richo may be too strong in aerial contests, but you would think Skinny would compete well in all other areas. If we are running players through Richo to wear him out, Skinny would be a good candidate, along with Tommygun, Lake and others. If we mess up with the match-ups though, Richo will have a day out in contested marks!

Sockeye Salmon
10-04-2009, 11:18 PM

That worked well for Zac Dawson

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
With richardson playing up the field I don't think he and Everitt will be isolated in one on one contests. If Richardson pushes forward then Lake takes him. Everitt does not have the physique to match Richardson body on body at the moment. Like Zac Dawson didn't (doesn't) to match Rocca.