PDA

View Full Version : Picken Striking Charge

The Adelaide Connection
13-04-2009, 06:00 PM
For those who were at the game the replays showed that Picken did catch Deledios face when he tried to spoil the ball (in the contest). To be honest had Deledio not reacted it would have been forgotten, but it is like seeing two identical collisions where the only difference is the aftermath (say a player getting concussed) that will determine what the match review panel do. So I bet he gets weeks.

But my real issue is that if anyone should have been reported it should have been Deledio. Retaliation in soccer warrants a red card (you may remember a famous incident where a young David Beckham kicked out after he was badly tackled and got red carded in a world cup match against Argentina). Common sense says it should have just been a reversed free kick to Picken in this case.

Anyone who saw the incient on tv would have seen the field umpire was absolutely clueless about what was going on and was struggling to work out what to do.

Go_Dogs
13-04-2009, 06:05 PM
For those who were at the game the replays showed that Picken did catch Deledios face when he tried to spoil the ball (in the contest). To be honest had Deledio not reacted it would have been forgotten, but it is like seeing two identical collisions where the only difference is the aftermath (say a player getting concussed) that will determine what the match review panel do. So I bet he gets weeks.

But my real issue is that if anyone should have been reported it should have been Deledio. Retaliation in soccer warrants a red card (you may remember a famous incident where a young David Beckham kicked out after he was badly tackled and got red carded in a world cup match against Argentina). Common sense says it should have just been a reversed free kick to Picken in this case.

Anyone who saw the incient on tv would have seen the field umpire was absolutely clueless about what was going on and was struggling to work out what to do.

Agreed. I thought the report was initially on Deledio. I think the free was reversed in our favor, and then reversed back again because of someone continuing to remonstrate. That's what I could work out anyway, pretty confusing incident all round that one.

The Adelaide Connection
13-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Agreed. I thought the report was initially on Deledio. I think the free was reversed in our favor, and then reversed back again because of someone continuing to remonstrate. That's what I could work out anyway, pretty confusing incident all round that one.

I think I heard the umpire call 50metres on Brad Johnson (who ran away up the wing with the ball) so he actually just paid the mark/initial free kick and then ignored the retaliation. :confused:

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I think I heard the umpire call 50metres on Brad Johnson (who ran away up the wing with the ball) so he actually just paid the mark/initial free kick and then ignored the retaliation. :confused:

no pretty sure he reversed it goes he blew his whistle and pointed our way after he already paid the mark

Happy Days
13-04-2009, 07:02 PM

It looked that way at the ground too.

Unfortunately, the incident looked very similar to the Cloke one in '02, and we all know how that ended. It will be interesting to see how the new system deals with it.

wb_age
13-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Max. he could receive was a reprimand, nothing in it!

Bumper Bulldogs
13-04-2009, 07:51 PM
My slant is nothing will happen and the charge thrown out.

I was told that we had got the free reversed, then we gave it away with another player coming in and getting him high and then Johnno gave up the 50m for mouthing off.

Not 100% but clearly showed that the umpire had no control & no idea.

The Underdog
13-04-2009, 08:13 PM
That happened right in front of me. I assumed the umpire had reversed it for Deledio's reaction and sent Deledio off for the blood rule, however Brown came on and he gave Richmond 50 metres. There was certainly nothing in the wrestle to warrant it. Nobody seemed to know what was going on or what the 50 was for.
I think Picken will probably be in a little trouble to be honest.

G-Mo77
13-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I think he'll get a reprimand, max. Anything else I think we would be a tad harsh IMO.

AndrewP6
13-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I was too far to see this one clearly (up on Level 3 under the Lockett end screen). If the form of the tribunal/match review panel is anything, he'll get a couple. Perhaps all that confusion could help him.

The Adelaide Connection
14-04-2009, 12:16 AM
I just feel the aftermath of an incident has a direct bearing on the sentence. They wouldn't have even looked at it if Deledio went back and took his kick, but because he reacted like that I bet he gets weeks. If Deledio doesnt at least get looked at the system is even worse than I thought.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 12:05 PM
If Picken is suspended for this I will run a lap of Whitten Oval NAKED......

Liam made contact with his right forearm to the right side of Deledio's face while he was punching the ball away in the marking contest. (high contact - free kick)

I have watched the replay twice and did not see Deledio being hit to his left side where his left eyebrow had blood vacating from it.

It also appears that the wrestling rule does not apply to the Tigers!

Good to see Liam's team mates coming in to support him and as mentioned by other posters here the 50 metre was crap as the umpire was clueless.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Liam will be fine I reckon, Deledio's retaliation hopefully comes under scrutiny because that was what caused the mini-melee and he went in with reckless intent after Picken's incidental contact.

wb_age
14-04-2009, 12:47 PM
If Picken is suspended for this I will run a lap of Whitten Oval NAKED......

Liam made contact with his right forearm to the right side of Deledio's face while he was punching the ball away in the marking contest. (high contact - free kick)

I have watched the replay twice and did not see Deledio being hit to his left side where his left eyebrow had blood vacating from it.

It also appears that the wrestling rule does not apply to the Tigers!

Good to see Liam's team mates coming in to support him and as mentioned by other posters here the 50 metre was crap as the umpire was clueless.
Here here.

One minute mark, nothing more than a free kick.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/video/0,,AFL%20News_2715,00.html

Mofra
14-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Looks much cleaner than Alistair Lynch's spoiling attempt on one of the Cloke's at the Gabba. Smashed his face but got off.

Must say I quite like Picken already. Clean hands in traffic, tough as nails and does what the coach wants him to. What's not to like?

Dry Rot
14-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Any news on his fate?

Topdog
14-04-2009, 03:40 PM
should be something fairly soon.

aker39
14-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Charge withdrawn.

No case to answer.

Shaggy got a $1500 fine for making contact with umpire

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Charge withdrawn.

No case to answer.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Matthew Priddis or Kerr watch out!

bulldogtragic
14-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Picken nose all good.

Rocco Jones
14-04-2009, 04:28 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Matthew Priddis or Kerr watch out!

I really can't see the point of a hard tag on Priddis (don't get me wrong, I think he is a good player but not damaging enough to warrant a tag). Boyd has a good record on Kerr and I think it's a bit sacrifice to play a tagger like Picken in the guts. Not sure what Eade will do with Picken, the Eagles don't really have a Harvey or Deledio.

lemmon
14-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I really can't see the point of a hard tag on Priddis (don't get me wrong, I think he is a good player but not damaging enough to warrant a tag). Boyd has a good record on Kerr and I think it's a bit sacrifice to play a tagger like Picken in the guts. Not sure what Eade will do with Picken, the Eagles don't really have a Harvey or Deledio.

Id still like to see him get first crack at Kerr, so far he's stopped an A-grade midfielder/small forward and one of the rising stars of the competition and Boyd is relishing his new found freedom.

Rocco Jones
14-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Id still like to see him get first crack at Kerr, so far he's stopped an A-grade midfielder/small forward and one of the rising stars of the competition and Boyd is relishing his new found freedom.

I think Deledio is a bit more than a rising star. Thing is, Harvey and Deledio are more outside, explosive, damaging type players. It is a much bigger sacrifice to have a hard tag on an inside player than it is on an outside player. The Eagles don't really have any explosive outside types and play with a tall forward line, so there aren't many options for Picken. I guess the only option is Kerr, I am just hesitant on having a pure tagger spend so much time in the guts. Nothing at all against Picken, he has been awesome in his first two games.

Dry Rot
14-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Charge withdrawn.

No case to answer.

Great news. Suck that up Delidio.

Anyone recall what happened?

Super 27
14-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Charge withdrawn.

No case to answer.

The match day report laid against the Western Bulldogs’ Liam Picken for striking Richmond’s Brett Deledio was assessed. The panel determined that Picken approached the contest with his eyes on the ball. He attempted to spoil the marking contest and narrowly missed the ball, making contact with Deledio’s shoulder with the inside of his elbow area. His forearm also made high contact with the Richmond player. The blood injury sustained by Deledio was not a result of the marking contest, but occurred later during the scuffle on the ground where Deledio was contacted by an unknown player on the other side of his face. The video evidence was inconclusive as to how this injury occurred. Given the player Picken had his eyes on the ball and it was seen as a legitimate attempt to spoil, no further action was taken.

Nothing for retaliation by Deledio?:confused:

AndrewP6
14-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Charge withdrawn.

No case to answer.

Well thank god the monkeys...sorry, umps might have come to their senses. A good call.

:)

The Adelaide Connection
14-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Nothing for retaliation by Deledio?:confused:

Great news that he got off, common sense prevails. RE: Deledio not getting looked at, I guess this means as long as you have possesion of the sherrin you can attack blokes. Maybe that's where Barry Hall went wrong ;)

Bumper Bulldogs
14-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Agree her but in addition we can rest another player and then look to bring Cooney/Murph back the week after.

Mantis
14-04-2009, 06:44 PM

I say let Priddis get as much of the pill as he can, he is a butcher of the Sherrin.

Rocco Jones
14-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I say let Priddis get as much of the pill as he can, he is a butcher of the Sherrin.

Agreed. He regularly gets a ton of it in games where his team gets smashed. I think Priddis is a good player but he is definitely not the type I would have a hard tag on.

Rocket Science
14-04-2009, 07:23 PM
A tagger's value lies in getting the better of opposition prime movers, so should Picken play Kerr's the obvious choice of opponent...he's easily the Eagles' most accomplished mid, and doing a lot more outside work these days given they've got so few blokes who can use the pill like he can.

Picken's been unphased by the profile of his opponent thus far...if he gets a gig vs Kerr this week it'd be another instructive test, and make for a pretty intriguing game within the game. Kerr's apparently worked hard on his discipline this season, but I could see Picken really giving him the shits.

Happy Days
14-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Anyone recall what happened?

The breeze he created whilst running messed up the umpire's hair.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Charge withdrawn.

No case to answer.

Phew!! that was close, I could sense a crowd gathering at W.O.

Shame about Shaggy I did not even know it was on, (making contact) What A Joke!