PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon games at the Dome

The Adelaide Connection
13-04-2009, 06:10 PM
For those who watched the game at home, how impossible was it to watch the game with one square of the ground bathed in light whilst the outside in the shade. The tv cameras seem to adjust to one or the other and when it is a shot of a play in both areas at times it is difficult to see who the players are as parts of the shot will be either under or overexposed. It was ridiculous.

Was just wondering how it is at the ground. I have only ever been to the Dome at night and I saw one wing was in the shade and one wing looked like they were looking into a torch. I am coming over for the Blues game, where is the best spot to sit?

wb_age
13-04-2009, 06:47 PM
At the ground, it was perfectly fine, I could see the big square patch of sun but as the sun was not in my eyes, it had no effect for mine.

GVGjr
13-04-2009, 06:55 PM
At the ground, it was perfectly fine, I could see the big square patch of sun but as the sun was not in my eyes, it had no effect for mine.

Same here. I haven't had to look directly into the sunlight though.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 07:12 PM
My seat is closer to the Lockett end so no sun in my face all day :D

ledge
13-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I was lucky, behind the goals in the shade , was hot in the sun walking in though.
Yeah TCD you wonder if they need to have the roof on when sun is like that.
How bad was the goal kicking up that end, what was going on there?

Max469
13-04-2009, 07:18 PM
My seat is closer to Coventry end - shocking. Sun in the eyes most of the day. Couldn't see a lot play.

Wish they would close the roof.

Dazza
13-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Only time I noticed was Lake not reading the flight of the ball and letting his opponent take an easy mark whilst he was in best position.

AndrewP6
13-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Not sure about on ground, but I know what you mean about the shaded areas. I reckon it'd be frustrating. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, don't think the roof should be closed on a magnificent day like today was. Close it when raining, sure, but let them go at it in the sun.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 10:44 PM
No problems with my seat, I'm level 1 but right up the back on the wing - no sun in my eyes all day. It sure seemed like the players had difficulty with it sometimes though :)

angelopetraglia
13-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Bright sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. Normally you would look forward to going to watch the footy in the sun. Even before I left home I knew the Sun would be a pain.

I wish they would just close the roof!

Either on TV or at the ground, the bright sunshine makes life at the Dome difficult for both the players (more than once players lost it completely) and the crowd. I was in the shade to begin, then the sun, then back in shade ... difficult to keep adjusting your eyes from bright sunshine to the shade (especially when the ball is in the shade on the other side of the ground and you are in the sun!).

I know that there has always been footy in the sun and you have always had some grounds that have shaded areas due to the stands, but the sun/shade impact appears to be much worse at the dome when compared to say the MCG.

The Adelaide Connection
14-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah it seems strange to want it closed on such a nice day, but on tv it was farcical. At times the ball would come into a contest and you just saw dark figures with no real idea who they were. They kept switching to the reverse angle too (which is so far from the play and hard to follow the game) I am guessing due to the problems caused by the sun.

So what is the best spot to reserve a ticket in for the afternoon games? I am coming over for the Carlton game.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah it seems strange to want it closed on such a nice day, but on tv it was farcical. At times the ball would come into a contest and you just saw dark figures with no real idea who they were. They kept switching to the reverse angle too (which is so far from the play and hard to follow the game) I am guessing due to the problems caused by the sun.

So what is the best spot to reserve a ticket in for the afternoon games? I am coming over for the Carlton game.

Towards the Lockett End that way the Sun would be behind you or on the Docklands Side of the ground.

The Adelaide Connection
14-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Towards the Lockett End that way the Sun would be behind you or on the Docklands Side of the ground.

Cheers Muttley

bornadog
14-04-2009, 11:44 PM
I missed the game live this week end as I was attending a sporting weekend in Queensland, which my daughter was competing in. (She got silver in the Australian Marathon Kayak Championships for both singles and doubles under 16), but I saw the game live on Channel ten. The cameras find it very difficult to adjust the lens when the ball goes from shade to sun. It is very annoying watching the game this way on TV.

The Adelaide Connection
15-04-2009, 01:18 AM
I missed the game live this week end as I was attending a sporting weekend in Queensland, which my daughter was competing in. (She got silver in the Australian Marathon Kayak Championships for both singles and doubles under 16), but I saw the game live on Channel ten. The cameras find it very difficult to adjust the lens when the ball goes from shade to sun. It is very annoying watching the game this way on TV.

Yeah that was what I was saying, almost impossible to see players properly as they are under or overexposed. That and they resort to reverse angles etc which also make it difficult to follow the play.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 01:26 AM
i was sitting right in the sun and nearly got heat stroke, they should just close the roof all the time

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Not sure how sitting in the sun for the spectators could be a factor, 100+ years the game has been played in the sun. Bring a hat and sunnies.

The issue is 3/4 of the playing surface is in the shade, when the ball switches from shade to light or vice versa the ball is difficult to see for the players and spectators.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Olympics coming up for you Bornadog, Good Stuff on the silver.

Ozza
15-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I can't stand when the roof is open at the dome. Very hard to watch. Taped the game also and watched if afterwards, terrible to watch.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-04-2009, 03:24 PM
There was only one goal kicked to the Coventry (sunny) end in the first half. Why they oriented the ground that way beats me. It should have been set 90degrees differently so that the sun goes down on the wing, not behind the goals. It must be Ian f------g Collins fault.

mighty_west
15-04-2009, 03:40 PM
From my seat on L2, it is fine until the sun hits that high rise building around 3/4 time, and it reflects off that something cronic.

I have however sat down the sun end on level 1, for the second time we played the Saints last season, i ended up with an almighty headache, and couldn't see a damn thing all day with the sun directly in your eyes for the best part of 3 quarters, even with sunnies & a cap, it was hidious.

The Underdog
15-04-2009, 03:48 PM
There was only one goal kicked to the Coventry (sunny) end in the first half. Why they oriented the ground that way beats me. It should have been set 90degrees differently so that the sun goes down on the wing, not behind the goals. It must be Ian f------g Collins fault.

Apparently that whole east-west thing came as a pretty big surprise to the designers of the ground. The sun's been setting in the West for how long? Collo can't take the blame for this one though. He thought the sun shone out of Carlton at the time the ground was being built.

As lovely as it is to have the roof open on a sunny day, they have to shut it, really.

aker39
15-04-2009, 03:59 PM
If you look at where the ground is located, between the water and the railways, there was not enough room for it to be built east-west.

ledge
15-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I just watched the game on fox, was shocking camera work and the sun destroyed the coverage, but i love the way the tiger supporters were chanting Richo at quarter time.
What wankers, its who is in front at the end of the game not quarter time.
Nothing like letting tiger supporters get big heads then watching it shrink into oblivion, faster than a balloon with a pin hole in it.