PDA

View Full Version : Did Richmond play anyone today?

The Coon Dog
13-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Just curious, did Richmond play anyone today?

On the way home I do like to listen to the radio, particularly when we have a win, but today we were never mentioned on MMM, 3AW, SEN or 3LO!!!

It was all Richmond this & Richmond that.

The feral hillbillies who wear flannelet shirts that I'm so fond of were all ringing in to the 4 radio stations sating that they have black & yellow blood coursing through their veins & have been members since Noah came off the Ark & Terry Wallace doesn't have any passion for the club because he wasn't born a Tiger!

Every bloody radio station!!

If it wasn't the feral hillbillies it was the likes on Danny Frawley, Brian Taylor, Brett Montgomery, Dan Lenergan, Grant Thomas, Dermott Brereton, Eddie McGuire, Rex Hunt & Tony Shaw discussing & discerning just how bad Richmond are.

Just when I thought it couldn't degenerate any further Rex Hunt decided to eulogise about 'My beloved Tigers, who are a football club in crisis, & you know the great thing about the Richmond Football club is that ...... it was then that I decided to turn the bloody radio off before I vomited in the car.

Yes, Richmond were shit, yes, Richmond are shit, but for God's sake they just didn't lose by themselves today! They were beaten by the Western Bulldogs! HOW ABOUT SOME BLOODY CREDIT!!!!!!!!! It's not too much to ask, surely?

ledge
13-04-2009, 07:40 PM
When did we last win a game and the opposition didnt play bad according to the press?
But thats cool i like the thought of letting us under the radar, stops our players getting big heads and then we keep striving to prove we ARE good!

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Haha TCD

I felt the same way almost to the day last year when we beat Essendon by 5 goals

Every call on Triple M was about how Essendon played and where they were going from there its like achem...they lost the game? Against who? Wouldnt of known if you didnt goto the game..

I feel your frustration

GVGjr
13-04-2009, 07:43 PM
It's the classic problem with talk back radio when a team is under siege. The victim mentality of the callers tends to dominate the discussions. To make matters worse most of our own supporters were more interested in sticking the boots into Richmond than talking up the Dogs performance.

One day a radio station will work out that talk back callers more often than not turn people away from the station. The commentators need to line up more interviews etc after a game rather than throwing the mike open to the supporters of the losing side.
Misery loves company.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-04-2009, 07:45 PM

On the way home I do like to listen to the radio, particularly when we have a win, but today we were never mentioned on MMM, 3AW, SEN or 3LO!!!

The feral hillbillies who wear flannelet shirts that I'm so fond of were all ringing in to the 4 radio stations sating that they have black & yellow blood coursing through their veins & have been members since Noah came off the Ark & Terry Wallace doesn't have any passion for the club because he wasn't born a Tiger!

If it wasn't the feral hillbillies it was the likes on Danny Frawley, Brian Taylor, Brett Montgomery, Dan Lenergan, Grant Thomas, Dermott Brereton, Eddie McGuire, Rex Hunt & Tony Shaw discussing & discerning just how bad Richmond are.

You left out Denis Pagan yes he had his two cents. But I'm happy that we got this one and as Ledge said lets keep under the Radar.;)

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Wasn't just me then. Made the same observation in the game day thread. Very annoying.

Dry Rot
13-04-2009, 07:59 PM

They played against Richard Tambling, who was too great an adversary for them to beat - set up lots of good Dogs attacks.

azabob
13-04-2009, 08:03 PM
To be honest I think the question should be, who did we play today?

Not sure we did anything special. Yes we won, but Richmond surely are the story to come out of today's game. They were terrible, they have no game plan, no players who are early 20's coming through, no players to stamp themseleves on the game bar Richardson and Deliudo and even Deluido won't have an impact because he does not have any support around him.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Speaking of Tambling, what was with the Bronx cheers whenever he got the ball? Couldn't work out if it was Dogs' fans doing it, or Richmond.

hujsh
13-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Feeling was the Dogs barely got out of 2nd gear by the commentators on MMM

Dry Rot
13-04-2009, 08:10 PM
To be honest I think the question should be, who did we play today?

Not sure we did anything special. Yes we won, but Richmond surely are the story to come out of today's game. They were terrible, they have no game plan, no players who are early 20's coming through, no players to stamp themseleves on the game bar Richardson and Deliudo and even Deluido won't have an impact because he does not have any support around him.

Are they now worse than the Dees and Freo?

Griffo
13-04-2009, 08:27 PM
But isn't it just great that they're bitchin' & moanin' because of what we did to them?

You gotta love it!!!!

firstdogonthemoon
13-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Stop your sooking! We will never be one of the golden teams, even after we win a flag. As twodogs said to me while we stood on Seddon Station today "The Bulldogs are the third way". We will do a it alone, and we will do it in spite of the fact that no one thinks we can.

They can have their stories and their tigers and their bombers and their blues. We don't need the commentators help to win games, I think Rocket and the boys might have it covered.

G-Mo77
13-04-2009, 08:37 PM
TCD I was listening to MMM on the drive back and thought the same thing. Had my mobile battery not been flat I would have rang their "talk back" line. I remember the same thing happened in a game against Meblourne last year I think it was Round 2. All Lyon and his cronies could talk about were Melbourne even though we gave them an absoloute hiding!

Max469
13-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Just loved the moron who rang MMM and was whinging the his tigers had not won a flag since 1980.

News Flash - the team who beat you has not won since 1954.

Richmond supporters are just tools.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Not sure we did anything special.

Clearly you missed Dale's goal :)

But seriously, I was also annoyed at all the Richmond talk, it wasn't until we were 2 minutes from home (after a 40 odd minute drive in bad traffic) that Eddie McGuire mentioned that they should be paying some more respect to the Dogs as they also played today etc. I guess I can't complain because I don't exactly ring up those stations but it would have been nice to hear from one Dogs fan between the two stations I was flicking between.

The Adelaide Connection
13-04-2009, 08:50 PM

I would say that would be a little premature. Tigers have played two teams that should make up the top three and one that is expected to make the top 4. We will know more from their next month (Melbourne, Nth. Melb, Sydney, Brisbane) with three teams that will probably be scrapping for the last spot or so in the eight. If they are going to live up to the preseason hype these are the teams that they have to take the spot from.

As for the radio, the team are always looking for the controversy which today was Richmond were pretty woeful for most of the day. I am happy it wasnt us they were talking about.

mighty_west
13-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Myself & DexterT were listening to SEN all the way home, well, to his joint dropping him off, but yeah, SEN was all over Richmond, it's human nature isn't it, another Richmond loss and out vome the ferals, and i was quite pleased on all the extra negativity towards Terry Wallet, i could listen to that ALL DAY!

Especially after we play them. :cool:

Although Eddie got in 10 minutes about Maxwell & Shaw going to the tribunal, that was a bit boring.

azabob
13-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Clearly you missed Dale's goal :)

But seriously, I was also annoyed at all the Richmond talk, it wasn't until we were 2 minutes from home (after a 40 odd minute drive in bad traffic) that Eddie McGuire mentioned that they should be paying some more respect to the Dogs as they also played today etc. I guess I can't complain because I don't exactly ring up those stations but it would have been nice to hear from one Dogs fan between the two stations I was flicking between.

Yes I did see his goal!! lol He was fairly happy about it!! Good to see him floating down there and kicking a goal.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Well, that was offset by Peter Dean getting interviewed at his place on the One HD show at 7:30pm.
Dale Morris is considered to be Peter Dean's kid in terms of how he plays hahha.

AndrewP6
13-04-2009, 09:20 PM
One reason I'm not a big fan of the radio. You have to rely on their opinion of what's happening/not happening. SO many are prejudiced, it can make for hard listening. Thank god TV was invented.

westdog54
13-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Just when I thought it couldn't degenerate any further Rex Hunt decided to eulogise about 'My beloved Tigers, who are a football club in crisis, & you know the great thing about the Richmond Football club is that ...... it was then that I decided to turn the bloody radio off before I vomited in the car.

Yes, Richmond were shit, yes, Richmond are shit, but for God's sake they just didn't lose by themselves today! They were beaten by the Western Bulldogs! HOW ABOUT SOME BLOODY CREDIT!!!!!!!!! It's not too much to ask, surely?

I share your pain and frustration. Had I had a handsfree handy in the car I would have rung the SEN team and expressed similar feelings.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Stop your sooking! We will never be one of the golden teams, even after we win a flag. As twodogs said to me while we stood on Seddon Station today "The Bulldogs are the third way". We will do a it alone, and we will do it in spite of the fact that no one thinks we can.
They can have their stories and their tigers and their bombers and their blues. We don't need the commentators help to win games, I think Rocket and the boys might have it covered.

Great points - don't care if we fly under the radar. Let's face it, look what happened to G'long in the grannie - I reckon they got too far ahead of themselves and had it won in their heads before they played :) I want us to keep our feet on the ground and just keep playing our natural brand of fantastic footy. It's a long way to go, but I'm looking forward to September :D

angelopetraglia
13-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Good point.

I was feeling exactly the same driving home today, especially Rex going on and on about his and Bondy's great times at Richmond (If I had a dollar for every time I have heard Rex say that.)

However, Richmond losing so badly was always going to be the story with Wallace in his last year of a 5 year contract.

Dancin' Douggy
13-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I don't know why, but listening to Richmond supporters is so entertaining and endlessly fulfilling it's like the "Sergeant Peppers" of Footy talkback. Just when you think you're sick of it you'll find a hidden subtle harmony. Or a well disguised crescendo. Richmond fans always find new angles of attack.
I think it's more fun than listening to people talk up the dogs.
I only want a flag, not recognition on talk back radio.

It's also immensely satisfying to see that club attract talent and destroy it, and also attract blowflies like Wallace and Brown.
Ottens was tarred with the richmond curse 'til he got out of there. After years of low draft picks they still can't unearth serious new talent.
A good friend of mine who's a tiger believes they have had the bone pointed at them and will suffer forever until someone lifts the curse.

It was truly horrible to see them turn on their own when they started razzing Tambling today. That is not the way forward, but then again there never seems to be a way forward for the poor old tigers.
Despite all my gloating I genuinely do feel for Richo. He just gets nothing for his years of endeavour.
Poor Bastard.

bulldogtragic
13-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I mentioned to the wife today, i wonder how he would be received by the AFL followers and what his AFL record might be if he had a tyop qyality midfield through his journey?

I think he could have been something around Chris Grant and upto Carey (npot quite). Harsh for 15 years he will have ever only [played in one finals game which was a loss. But that's sport.

BulldogBelle
13-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Think after last weeks hit out in the week v North we would have been heavy today...take a look at how North did against Hawthorn

Richmond arent that bad...they gave Geelong a good shake last week, worked us at times (especially the first quarter) and only have R1 v Carlton really to forget about

GetDimmaBack
14-04-2009, 12:58 AM
It's often the side that loses that gets most attention on the radio, IMO.

Hated listening to after match stuff in 2003 & 04...it was often about how bad we were.
Got sick of Tony Shaw going on with his "..the Doggies, don't know where they go from here..." rubbish.

I really don't care if they spend the whole time bagging the sides we beat. I just drive and stay with the warm feeling I get after a win - especially against that love-of-our-lives, Richmond!

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 01:04 AM

Im sure when we were down the bottom and struggling people rang radio stations and talked about us instead of the team that flogged us.

Desipura
14-04-2009, 09:22 AM
slightly off topic, it was a nice gesture from the tigers to stand up and clap Scott West as he was doing his lap of honour.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 10:31 AM

Didn't everyone in the media rate them certainties for the 8 this year?

Be careful who you listen to. Most of them speak rubbish.

ps. I can't wait to play/trash Carlton (not half as worried as some on this forum). Then we get to hear the Bluebaggers get on the blower and sook... AND miss the 8.

pps. Oh, and I'm sure there will be those who will say that I'm being 'overconfident' re: Round 5. It doesn't matter if I am -- I'm not a Dogs' player or coach and have no bearing no the final result apart from screaming my lungs out! I'm confident that Rocket and the boys are far more professional than I am in that regard...

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Im sure when we were down the bottom and struggling people rang radio stations and talked about us instead of the team that flogged us.

Ummm... no they didn't (well, not very much anyway). Dogs supporters are a quiet bunch, relatively speaking. Maybe that's where the problem is; we don't have enough ferals who will bother calling into talkback radios just to vent their fury. Too jaded after half an century of non-success? Perhaps. And if we were flogged by one of the bigger teams, the radio stations would be flooded by their supporters talking up their flag chances, not by irate Dogs fans.

You notice it is the supporters of the more historically successful teams (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond) who get riled up when they lose, because they EXPECT success, so much so that for them, being at the bottom is always a temporary phenomenon that they know will pass, and is why Richmond supporters can't understand what's taking so long.

Dogs supporters, on the other hand, haven't even been to a Grand Final in most of our lifetimes, so for us, a stint at the top is the one that seems 'temporary', so much so that any talk of dynasties for us here seems strange and over the top. I tell you now, Carlton supporters are EXPECTING a dynasty, despite having a far inferior list.

I long for the day that we win enough that we no longer think like losers. I really do expect us to be one of the dominant sides for the next 8 - 10 years.. if we were any of the big clubs with a list and coach and board and stability like ours we would all expect nothing less; yet, the inferiority complex runs strong. Even on WOOF.

aker39
14-04-2009, 10:42 AM
There is one way to solve the problem, and that is to ring up and talk about the doggies.

Whenever someone texts Finey and says why aren't you talking about X, he always says, I don't set the topics, you do. So ring up and talk about your club.

I rang SEN last night and talked about the doggies. I also couldn't let the moment slip by without having a dig at Nathan Brown.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree, I used to ring up SEN quite a bit last year - mainly to put the dogs on the agenda. Because the simple fact is that if we don't become visible we can easily get ignored by radio and TV commentatators alike.

On a side note the crowd at the game yesterday was fantastic!

aker39
14-04-2009, 10:55 AM
On a side note the crowd at the game yesterday was fantastic!

We certainly out voiced them.

I would say at leats 26,000 dogs, 20,000 tigers

bulldogtragic
14-04-2009, 11:01 AM
We certainly out voiced them.

I would say at leats 26,000 dogs, 20,000 tigers
Shame about out Ethihad Stadium deal...

aker39
14-04-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree. I was not being specific to you about ringing in. I was talking to all bulldog supporters. If we ring in, they will talk about us, if we don't they won't.

hujsh
14-04-2009, 10:18 PM
pps. Oh, and I'm sure there will be those who will say that I'm being 'overconfident' re: Round 5. It doesn't matter if I am -- I'm not a Dogs' player or coach and have no bearing no the final result apart from screaming my lungs out! I'm confident that Rocket and the boys are far more professional than I am in that regard...

You don't affect the team. You affect the laws of the universe ;)

TBH After reading some of the insight here i don't like listening to the commentators and supporters talk about the Dogs as much as i used to.

Always happy to hear how crap the tigers are though.

aker39
15-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Always happy to hear how crap the tigers are though.

Agreed.

I could listen to Richmond supporters for hours.

Remi Moses
15-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah heard SEN ,had the weekend in Sin City so missed the game. I reckon they've got a fair right to slam Tambling he just doesn't work hard enough,jogs at half pace.Watched the replay didn't thinke we were great but I'll take the win thanks. Hav to admit the headlines in the daily tabloid were way over the top,to be honest if there was a flag for pre-season hype Carlton and Richmond would have been joint premiers.Is it just my sad existence but Richmond have the same callers that jam the lines. How many times did we hear that Richmond were the last side to beat Hawthorn in 2008!

craigsahibee
16-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Bit hard when you're in a car driving home. They put you on hold for an eternity & with the call costs these days for mobile phones, its just not worth it.

Easier and cheaper for Richmond supporters. They were all at home by the time the final siren sounded.

ledge
17-04-2009, 04:45 PM
True tiger supporters wouldnt be at the game, would have thrown in the (Terry) towel after the first game.