PDA

View Full Version : Where's the game heading?

NoParkingOnMatchDays
13-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I have seen a bit of footy already this year and I am very unsure if I love it or just tolerate it.

Speak to anyone over 70 and they dribble that the game was much better in the old days where egg smasher kicks and handballs that missed the targets by 400 hundred feet (notice the imperial measurement there to set the mood) are missed as much as bread and dripping or some other type of congealed animal fat on bread.

I grew up watching footy in the late eighties and nineties and tell everyone that in my day the sides where tough and skilful and the games were better to watch. (I also remember that in them days lolly cigarettes were called fags and sunny boys and razzes where bigger than my head).

These days it looks like there are 50 players on the ground with the zoning. There are hardly any high marks or bumping and worst of all they show Dream team stats on the big screen before the real stats. How much propping and standing still is there in a game now. Get some Champion Data on that and it will show a midfielder ran 14kms in the quarter yet stood still touching the ball on the ground nervously for 22 minutes.

Don't get me wrong I still jump out of my seat and scream so much that I get dizzy and need to sit down quickly. I still make promises to my young son that if Johnno kicks the next goal I am changing his name by dead poll from Sparticus to Brad but I really feel that some of the magic has gone.

Ps I could be feeling like this as the Easter bunny didn't bring me anything yesterday - stupid rabbit.

Sockeye Salmon
13-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I have seen a bit of footy already this year and I am very unsure if I love it or just tolerate it.

Speak to anyone over 70 and they dribble that the game was much better in the old days where egg smasher kicks and handballs that missed the targets by 400 hundred feet (notice the imperial measurement there to set the mood) are missed as much as bread and dripping or some other type of congealed animal fat on bread.

I grew up watching footy in the late eighties and nineties and tell everyone that in my day the sides where tough and skilful and the games were better to watch. (I also remember that in them days lolly cigarettes were called fags and sunny boys and razzes where bigger than my head).

These days it looks like there are 50 players on the ground with the zoning. There are hardly any high marks or bumping and worst of all they show Dream team stats on the big screen before the real stats. How much propping and standing still is there in a game now. Get some Champion Data on that and it will show a midfielder ran 14kms in the quarter yet stood still touching the ball on the ground nervously for 22 minutes.

Don't get me wrong I still jump out of my seat and scream so much that I get dizzy and need to sit down quickly. I still make promises to my young son that if Johnno kicks the next goal I am changing his name by dead poll from Sparticus to Brad but I really feel that some of the magic has gone.

Ps I could be feeling like this as the Easter bunny didn't bring me anything yesterday - stupid rabbit.

I can't add anything because everyone's getting sick of me saying it.

But you're right.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Oh, your post made me smile - I was still excited today but I at times felt like I was watching a basketball match - handball, handball, handball, handball, oh, I think I can kick this! I'm not over 70, but I remember those days when the footy was tough and very skillful (I also remember lolly cigarettes and Sunny Boys!). Alas, that stupid bunny forgot to bring me something yesterday as well :)

NoParkingOnMatchDays
14-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Maybe I can hang my hopes on the Bilby bringing me something

GetDimmaBack
14-04-2009, 01:01 AM
No Parking, I'm in awe of the fact that you have a kid called Sparticus!

And I thought I was the only one...

bornadog
14-04-2009, 09:13 AM
I am also from that same era you talk about, however, the one thing I accept is that football evolves constantly. Coaches are always looking for new was to win, sports science, the human body, training methods, fitness all help change the game...... something we can't stop.

One thing I can't accept and never will, are the constant rule changes that end up changing our wonderful game. Have a look at every single rule change and you will see, they have changed how we play and what we do on the ground and in effect lead to many things that you don't enjoy anymore.

Desipura
14-04-2009, 09:24 AM
perhaps you need to read "who stole my cheese"

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 11:32 AM
perhaps you need to read "who stole my cheese"

Good point - I am happy to move with the cheese as long as moving is a good thing :) I am not that nostalgic to think that footy in the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's was better, I guess it's just different - obviously everything about the game, i.e., players, coaches, fitness, etc., is now professional and I think that's a good thing. There were just times yesterday that I thought I was watching a game of basketball or handball.

The Underdog
14-04-2009, 11:43 AM
No Parking, I'm in awe of the fact that you have a kid called Sparticus!

And I thought I was the only one...

Role call at school must be hilarious.

Teacher: Spartacus Jones?

Kid 1: I'm Spartacus.

Kid 2: No, I'm Spartacus

and on and on ad infinitum...

And Sockeye, I admire your restraint. I read Noparking's post and was expecting at least half a page...

It's funny isn't it that the skill and fitness levels are higher than ever but the game's not as enjoyable as we all seem to want it to be, I'm guessing for the players often as well as spectator's. It's being sanitised and micro-managed from AFL down to club level to create a palatable product to sell rather than just being a sport. All anyone seems to care about is appearance rather than substance. Sometimes I feel like I'm at the footy more out of habit than anything else, even though I live and die with the result for 2 and a half hours. Much of the violence anyone over 30 will remember has been taken out and that can only be a good thing however many of the people making decisions seem to have no feel for the game itself.

The Underdog
14-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Good point - I am happy to move with the cheese as long as moving is a good thing :) I am not that nostalgic to think that footy in the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's was better, I guess it's just different - obviously everything about the game, i.e., players, coaches, fitness, etc., is now professional and I think that's a good thing. There were just times yesterday that I thought I was watching a game of basketball or handball.

But then Josh Hill scooped up that ball one handed and goaled and it was the purest, sweetest thing that just made you believe in football. That and Dylan Addison throwing himself around like a nut case.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 11:56 AM
But then Josh Hill scooped up that ball one handed and goaled and it was the purest, sweetest thing that just made you believe in football. That and Dylan Addison throwing himself around like a nut case.

Couldn't agree more - it was beatiful to watch! Don't get me wrong, I love this game and our team, it was just at times I was left wondering......it won't stop me going to the game and nothing would ever stop me barracking for the Dogs :) It's those times, like Josh's swoop on the ball one handed, the Aker backwards mark, and Addison giving 120% that make it worth the while!

Sockeye Salmon
14-04-2009, 09:11 PM

That's the reason the game is as popular as ever despite the AFL's best efforts to **** it up.

It was simply beautiful.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
14-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Is the footy better and sweeter when your side is struggling and you realise that your side may just pull off a win or do you become blasé when your side is good and the expectation is a spanking of the opposition.

Underdog - not only is his name good at school but when I yell out for both my boys to come in from playing I am sure that I can hear trumpets playing in my head. "Sparticus and Thor your dinner is ready".

1eyedog
14-04-2009, 09:39 PM
In 25 years time the next generation will be harking back to the good ole days when real football was played in the era around 2010

1eyedog
14-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Is the footy better and sweeter when your side is struggling and you realise that your side may just pull off a win or do you become blasé when your side is good and the expectation is a spanking of the opposition.

Underdog - not only is his name good at school but when I yell out for both my boys to come in from playing I am sure that I can hear trumpets playing in my head. "Sparticus and Thor your dinner is ready".

Just make sure the Giants don't follow Thor and that Caesars legions don't follow Sparticus and remember the day of Ragnarok and Jormungadar!

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 09:52 PM
The AFL have no idea which way the game is heading. They are totally reactionary with no fore-site.
My proof is the the stat I hear yesterday something like 59 rule changes in the last 23 years.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
14-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Do you like the rushed behind rule. I reckon it's created some great excitment near goals.

bornadog
14-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Do you like the rushed behind rule. I reckon it's created some great excitment near goals.

no, don't like changes to rules, full stop.

bornadog
14-04-2009, 11:40 PM
The AFL have no idea which way the game is heading. They are totally reactionary with no fore-site.
My proof is the the stat I hear yesterday something like 59 rule changes in the last 23 years.

Bring back the Kevin Bartlet bounce the ball just before your tackled.;)

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Bring back the Kevin Bartlet bounce the ball just before your tackled.;)

The rule changes might be great ideas but why the need to change something so often, it changes the game?
Basically to me its an admission that the game is flawed and they need to fix it.

bornadog
15-04-2009, 01:51 PM
The rule changes might be great ideas but why the need to change something so often, it changes the game?
Basically to me its an admission that the game is flawed and they need to fix it.

Couldn't agree more.