PDA

View Full Version : Wallet 'On The Couch'

bulldogtragic
13-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Thought Gerard and Mike gave him a rightful bake. Like Mike said, some (ME) say he is a dead man walking now. Haven't seen Wallet look like that in an interview before. And his bulltish answers, when given the grpahic of his losing erecord worse than Frawley and he says 'you can use stats to prove anything'...

I'm glad the list that could not be developed could assist in the process. And the hawthorn list that was not as developed failed miserably.

GVGjr
13-04-2009, 11:08 PM
In very difficult circumstances I thought he acquitted himself very well.

- The turned the list over in the first 2 seasons (25 players moved on)
- They had difficulties with existing contracts for a couple of seasons
- Having trouble finding the right mix of competitive footballers with AFL standard skills
- A number of players made their way onto the senior list via the rookie list

All in all, I thought he did well.
I suspect that the Tigers have suffered because of very poor recruiting and I'm not sure that Wallace is entirely to blame there.

I didn't like the way he left us but I'm not taking any joy in his current position.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 11:12 PM
You are too diplomatic GVGjr, 5 years it ample enough time to make an impact on a club, he gets what he deserves.

bulldogtragic
13-04-2009, 11:14 PM

- Having trouble finding the right mix of competitive footballers with AFL standard skills

I suspect that the Tigers have suffered because of very poor recruiting and I'm not sure that Wallace is entirely to blame there.

I didn't like the way he left us but I'm not taking any joy in his current position.
I thought he shifted blame better than Kevin '07.

He took no responsibility for the current predicament. He has had numerous top picks which include Tambling (in lieu of Buddy) and Jordan-reserves-McMahon (in lieu of Callan Ward who is playing regular senior footy in one of the best mnidfield comps) and took Graham and Kent Kingsley. I thought he acquitted himself like Kevin '07 which may be very well, but took no responsibility for 5 years of compiling a list of poor decision makers with poor skills who dont seem motivated to play. He has had as long as Frawley and lost more games and things dont look like improving.

The only reason i take some level on enjoyment is his arrogance in determining the bulldogs and hawthorn lists were significantly lesser than Richmonds. if you are going to write those types of puclic cheques, your arse better be able to cash them.

GVGjr
13-04-2009, 11:15 PM
You are too diplomatic GVGjr, 5 years it ample enough time to make an impact on a club, he gets what he deserves.

I won't shed a tear if he gets the flick and yes 5 years should be long enough but I'm going through the drafting records now and a significant problem is in this area. If you aren't competitive at the draft table it can bring unstuck a lot of coaches.

Prince Imperial
13-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't think he is all to blame for their plight as their drafting has been poor but it is giving me a lot of joy. :)

angelopetraglia
13-04-2009, 11:18 PM
He stated that he is not a "quitter" ... I have a different recollection of that.

I loved Wallace when he was at the Dogs (clearly seduced by his slick talking and theories on everything, than man can speak and debate, if always a touch verbose).

However ... as Ian Robertson once famously said on K-Rock .... Terry Wallace is the Baron of Bulls***!

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 11:33 PM
He stated that he is not a "quitter" ... I have a different recollection of that.

I loved Wallace when he was at the Dogs (clearly seduced by his slick talking and theories on everything, than man can speak and debate, if always a touch verbose).

However ... as Ian Robertson once famously said on K-Rock .... Terry Wallace is the Baron of Bulls***!

I think this last sentence sums up how Richmond play can look good on occassions but when the crunch comes there is no substance to there play.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I laughed when he said we were playing as good as we ever have.

AndrewP6
14-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Damn I wish I'd seen this... my Foxtel is on the blink... I for one take great delight in Wallet's current plight... after what he did to us... I have no sympathy at all for him or the Tigers... he's had all this time at Richmond, and they've done nothing. He's had chances to draft and develop top talent, and he's done nothing. We were bottom of the ladder six years ago, and look at us now. I too liked him when he was with us... guess I didn't see the real "Plough"... there might be a more regular spot "On the Couch" for him soon...

Might go see if that clip is on the net anywhere...

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Surely after if the drafting is to blame, you could think in 5 years he could have fixed it.
I don't buy it, he is the head coach and should be in the recruiting managers ear with what he wants.

And if he isn't taking repsonsiblity for the poor drafting at Richmond then why does he claim to have built the Bulldog list?

Dancin' Douggy
14-04-2009, 09:42 AM
You know the worst thing about all this is that when he DOES get the arse, we'll have to put up with that awful voice of his back in the media.
Anyone notice his neck these days? It's developing a life of it's own.
Something like a cross between ET and Jabba the hut, rolled, grilled and smothered in BBQ sauce.

Bulldog4life
14-04-2009, 09:55 AM
You know the worst thing about all this is that when he DOES get the arse, we'll have to put up with that awful voice of his back in the media.
Anyone notice his neck these days? It's developing a life of it's own.
Something like a cross between ET and Jabba the hut, rolled, grilled and smothered in BBQ sauce.

Yes that is something I'm not looking forward to either.:) The person who has got out of it lightly and is not mentioned in many newspaper reports about Richmond's failure is Greg "The Saviour" Miller. His exit, although not of his own accord, was very timely.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 10:24 AM

I am.

Ditto Brown. Only sorry that we didn't go on to win by more because that would have sealed the deal in my opinion. If 47 points means Wallet is under this much pressure, an 80 or 90 point loss would have been untenable. Go, go coach Sydney. Or a team with a better list, or anyone else, after slagging off the club that gave you your start, and enjoy a permanent existence in the bottom 8.

Only person I feel sorry for in this entire saga is Richo. Top bloke, model citizen, gives his all.. deserves better.

Sedat
14-04-2009, 10:44 AM

Agree 100% with your first comment. He continues to work the media beautifully and plays them all on a fast break. Imagine Mark Harvey in such circumstances - would be like watching a train wreck. Unfortunately for Teflon, he does his best work in the 5th quarter when the cameras start rolling instead of in the coaches box. Does the media actually realise he hasn't coached a team to even make the finals in 7 consecutive seasons and he hasn't even coached a winning final in 9?

I disagree with your last comment though GVGjr? I take great pleasure in seeing his ego slowly but surely deflate over the last 4 and a half years. He might publicly bemoan the lack of skill by someone like Jake King, but it's Teflon who places him in the Gilbee role of defensive playmaker. Teflon has always been very quick to accept the bouquets whenever he has coached one of his teams to a great victory in the past, but nobody is better at shifting the blame away from himself whenever things go pear-shaped.

BulldogBelle
14-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Whilst I didn't like the way he exited from the Dogs - I kind of feel sorry for Wallet now, you could clearly see that he was squirming in his seat. That squeaky voice of his was more squeakier than normal.

Who am I trying to convince? - Nahhh, he deserves the pounding he is getting. :)

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I have always wondered what he thought when he took over the Tigers job. I mean he took us from last in 1996 to third, so it must have seemed easy to get a team up with a bit of motivation and boosting the confidence of the players. I don't think he realised that culture has a huge bearing on being able to do that. The doggies have always had a do or die attitude, and the reason we haven't made a premiership is that we often had to sell or trade our best players because of our poor economic situation.

Say what you like about Wallet, but he was as gutted as we all were in that PF against Adelaide in 1997.

And I agree with you Lantern, the look of agony on Richo's face - the poor bloke such a contrast to Brown who chased the dollar and Richo who is perhaps too loyal.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I have always wondered what he thought when he took over the Tigers job. I mean he took us from last in 1996 to third, so it must have seemed easy to get a team up with a bit of motivation and boosting the confidence of the players. I don't think he realised that culture has a huge bearing on being able to do that. The doggies have always had a do or die attitude, and the reason we haven't made a premiership is that we often had to sell or trade our best players because of our poor economic situation.

Say what you like about Wallet, but he was as gutted as we all were in that PF against Adelaide in 1997.

And I agree with you Lantern, the look of agony on Richo's face - the poor bloke such a contrast to Brown who chased the dollar and Richo who is perhaps too loyal.

He Did have a few handy players in that time don't forget he had Wynd and Libba (Brownlows) Johnno, West and Grant. Judas, Hudson, Smith, Darcy. Romero, Crofty. That's just off the top of my head 4 of them are in the team of the century so he would want to have done well. I think it was more of the case he had taken over a good list set to proform then outstanding coaching.

Mofra
14-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Why does he play a high risk gameplan with low-skilled players?

Eade set out a gameplan in his first year at the club based on quick players & quick ball movement, simply because they were the cattle he had. The cattle he now has are stronger & have clean skills in traffic, hence we are the best contested football side in the comp this year, and top 3 in contested ball last year.

As much as Richmond have drafted dreadfully, they have been coached just as poorly.

Scraggers
14-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I am.

Ditto Brown. Only sorry that we didn't go on to win by more because that would have sealed the deal in my opinion. If 47 points means Wallet is under this much pressure, an 80 or 90 point loss would have been untenable. Go, go coach Sydney. Or a team with a better list, or anyone else, after slagging off the club that gave you your start, and enjoy a permanent existence in the bottom 8.

Only person I feel sorry for in this entire saga is Richo. Top bloke, model citizen, gives his all.. deserves better.

I wouldn't be too sure about the Model Citizen part ...

Sedat
14-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Therein lies his problem - he has gone something like 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th, 12th in his 6 seasons at the kennel, and has now missed the finals in 4 completed seasons at Punt Rd (likely to be 5 going on the first 3 rounds). His career high watermark as a coach happened 12 years ago and hasn't been close to being matched in 10 years. Strictly speaking, as a coach, his record does not cut the mustard at all under any sort of close scrutiny.

As a comparison, Rocket started coaching the same year as Wallace, and he made finals in all but 1 season at Sydney and 2 out of 4 so far at the kennel - he hasn't matched the GF berth of 1996 but he has been in the mix several times since then including the most recent history of 2008. Rocket, Wallace and Clarkson all took over a mess back in 2005 but only Rocket and Clarkson have made genuine progress with the list management, the improved spread of leadership, and the implementation of a specific style of game plan designed to make their respective sides a more competitive unit. Lyon is on the way to doing that at St Kilda as well. Another contemporary, Bomber Thompson, has already achieved that mission at Geelong. What will Wallace's legacy be at Punt Rd? Which players have genuinely improved under his guidance? What is their game style? None of these questions have been close to answered by Wallace in his time at Richmond.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Why does he play a high risk gameplan with low-skilled players?

Eade set out a gameplan in his first year at the club based on quick players & quick ball movement, simply because they were the cattle he had. The cattle he now has are stronger & have clean skills in traffic, hence we are the best contested football side in the comp this year, and top 3 in contested ball last year.

As much as Richmond have drafted dreadfully, they have been coached just as poorly.

Exactly. I think the same thing when I watch Freo play. Why would you risk a shootout, or play open field football, when your list is piss-weak? Wouldn't your best bet be a Sydney type gameplan, creating congestion around every ball up and creating as many stoppages as possible to even the speed of the game up? With Freo, they have a dominant tap ruckman as well.

It's just stupid to play a style of football your players can't play and then blame them for not having the skills. I would argue that man-for-man, Sydney is just as bad disposal-wise, but they'll always be competitive because of their gameplan and discipline.

Remi Moses
14-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Gee some utter tripe written on here. Wallet didn't play anyone on a breakon ''The Couch'',everyone can see right through Wallace and his constant spin.Blimey 5 years and the club has gone backwards,waffling on about players in the last years of their contract. Funny how Clarkson had no problems unloading Thmpson, Hay who were contracted.Facts are Clarkson put his ego in his back pocket Wallace is all about his own existence and massive ego.