PDA

View Full Version : The million dollar question

bulldogtragic
13-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Welsh, Grant, Murphy and potentially Cordy for one or two games.

And Andreajs

If our forwards maintain fitness, how in the hell do we play any/all of these guys?

Before I Die
14-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Welsh, Grant, Murphy and potentially Cordy for one or two games.

And Andreajs

If our forwards maintain fitness, how in the hell do we play any/all of these guys?

And the problem is?

What a magnificent dilemma.

Murphy is an automatic in when fit and I am sure we can find room for him. Welsh, Everitt, Cordy, Grant et al, will only force their way in with exceptional form or through the injuries (hopefully all short term) which inevitably will come.

AndrewP6
14-04-2009, 01:00 AM
For me, Welsh is the unluckiest of that group... I'd like him back in...starting this weekend. Murph will be an automatic in when they determine he's right to go. As for the outs, if there are no glaring weak links, they go with best match ups, and absolutely pick apart each player's performance to see if a change is necessary. (If I had the call, Tiller would be rested) I don't see Grant getting too much time, keep hearing/reading that he's not physically ready. Ditto Cordy. Maybe against some of the weaker teams further into the season. Time is on their side.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 12:11 AM
murphy will be auto in
cordy wont play a game thos year
grant will play atleast 6-10 games and will depend on how he plays in those matches if hes is to crack into the best 22 he is a garinteed a permininent spot next with the retirements of johnson akermanis and eagleton
welsh will play the majority off games depending on injury and form
and everitt will also pllay alot of games depending on his form and tillers

Desipura
16-04-2009, 10:16 AM
murphy will be auto in
cordy wont play a game thos year
grant will play atleast 6-10 games and will depend on how he plays in those matches if hes is to crack into the best 22 he is a garinteed a permininent spot next with the retirements of johnson akermanis and eagleton
welsh will play the majority off games depending on injury and form
and everitt will also pllay alot of games depending on his form and tillers
that spelling still needs a bit of work hey?
I know you are a newie so I shall go easy......... granted that Cordy is very skinny, I think it is a bit premature to say he wont play a game this year. What if he absolutely dominates playing at Williamstown and we get some injuries (touch wood), do you still think he will not play one single game for the Doggies?

Cyberdoggie
16-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I am also of the opinion that Welsh needs to be in the side,
however he has had a limited preparation and when i saw him play against Box Hill in a practice match a few weeks back he was a little overweight, although playing well up forward.

The bulldogs game plan has such an emphasis on fitness and being able to run out the game. Welsh is basically just a forward so that also effects our game plan where we have the majority of players being able to adapt to different roles if required.

At Subiaco you need plenty of legs and having enough players to rotate through the midfield is essential. They won't want to take any risks with Welsh just yet.

AndrewP6
16-04-2009, 10:54 PM
that spelling still needs a bit of work hey?
I know you are a newie so I shall go easy......... granted that Cordy is very skinny, I think it is a bit premature to say he wont play a game this year. What if he absolutely dominates playing at Williamstown and we get some injuries (touch wood), do you still think he will not play one single game for the Doggies?

Not my place to respond, the question wasn't directed to me... however, I agree with the thought that Cordy won't play this year. The physical side of the game is so important, and I feel he just won't be ready this year to compete physically... barring injuries to others (and I hope that doesn't happen!)....

Desipura
17-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Not my place to respond, the question wasn't directed to me... however, I agree with the thought that Cordy won't play this year. The physical side of the game is so important, and I feel he just won't be ready this year to compete physically... barring injuries to others (and I hope that doesn't happen!)....

Is the physical side of the game as important as it used to be? With the new rule changes, you virtually cannot touch a forward. Cordy can run and has the footy smarts, that might be enough to play a few games if his form warrants it.

lemmon
17-04-2009, 01:43 PM
I would rather we didnt just 'hand out' games. I would prefer to see guys like Everitt and Welsh spend most of the year at Willi if:
a/ They are not performing at that level
b/ There is no one in the side who deserves to be dropped
With Cordy and Grant I wouldnt blood them for the hell of it. I would treat them like any other player and if they deserve a spot and one opens up in the side then play them.

LostDoggy
17-04-2009, 03:30 PM
With Cordy and Grant I wouldnt blood them for the hell of it. I would treat them like any other player and if they deserve a spot and one opens up in the side then play them.

I dont think we should 'hand out' games to the undeserving but player development should be a factor where possible and appropriate.

AndrewP6
17-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Is the physical side of the game as important as it used to be? With the new rule changes, you virtually cannot touch a forward. Cordy can run and has the footy smarts, that might be enough to play a few games if his form warrants it.

Yeah I think it is... Even with the dumb rules & interpretations, you've still got to have the physical ability to stay in contests...I don't think Cordy is there yet... happy if he can prove me wrong..

jitboy
18-04-2009, 01:04 PM
The bulldogs game plan has such an emphasis on fitness and being able to run out the game. Welsh is basically just a forward so that also effects our game plan where we have the majority of players being able to adapt to different roles if required.

At Subiaco you need plenty of legs and having enough players to rotate through the midfield is essential. They won't want to take any risks with Welsh just yet.

I agree that Welsh would improve the look of our forward structure...when fit. With BJ increasingly playing up the ground, I would prefer to see a strong marking forward target like Welsh leading out of the goalsquare instead of Josh Hill. As impressive as Josh has been in the last few rounds, I can't see it being a permanent role.