PDA

View Full Version : The Bald Eagle

Pages : [1] 2 3

bulldogtragic
14-04-2009, 01:51 PM
For some time, since Ben Harrison retired and K-Mac was moved on, has become the whipping boy for many. And in some cases rightfully so, but in many other cases too harshly.

Rumour has it Eade gave it to him honestly to step up and do the things his dose better and add toughness and defencive pressure to his game, or face a year in the magoos and a bad way to end the career.

For all the threads dedicated to potting him, i thought there should be one to recognise his improvement this year. If he was our weakest link - and you can only ever be as strong as the weakest link - then we are a better outfit.

He would would be there abouts for running the most km's per week with his gut running and breaking the lines, his field kicking had been good and his kicking for goal has also been a feature. But his attack on the ball at all stages of the game. He split for eye brow with a few minutes tp go last week when the game was over as he kept his intensity up. He is not only making strong second efforts, he is making strong third and fourth efforts and his tackling is much improved.

Credit where its due folks, he had the acid tipped on him and has responded very well over the first three weeks and deserves some positive recognition not just the pot shots.

Scorlibo
14-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I totally agree, Eagle has stepped up, I don't think past comments were too harsh but I think we should pay some credit to the guy who has developed a defensive side and just looks more switched on all round.

Mofra
14-04-2009, 02:26 PM
His running is a particular feature. He seems to go in a little haredr for the ball as well, and after the first game his kicking has imporved back to where is was a couple of years back.

Rocco Jones
14-04-2009, 02:30 PM
9 tackles yesterday and was our best when we struggled in the 1st quarter imo. A lot of fans just refuse to give credit where credits due once they have made a call, which is annoying. The people behind me were bagging him like he was getting a hard ball, clearance scoring assist.

He is really symbolic of what is required to get a spot in our 22 atm. Contributing to the team's overall performance is so much more important than just racking up touches.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Good thread, and much deserved -- has definitely stepped up a notch and is doing all that can be asked of him at the moment. Playing like it's his last year on the list and having one bloody last good dig at a premiership.

Can't really ask for more.

C'mon Cam Wight.. take note of the desperation required to make it at this level.

Sedat
14-04-2009, 02:36 PM
He's playing with the desperation that he knows is a team non-negotiable. Credit to him for the penny dropping. In previous years, he has tended to do his best work when the sting is out of the game, but he's been good early in all 3 matches so far - good signs and I hope he keeps it up.

lemmon
14-04-2009, 02:36 PM
At half time I had him best on ground, loved his harrasing and tackling, I loved the rundown of Jake King. Most blokes wouldve pulled up but he kept up the chase and got rewarded, pity he kicked it into the man on the mark. I think the push for places by some of the younger blokes has really put a rocket up him.

The Underdog
14-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Fair's fair. He was the best of a bad bunch at quarter time yesterday and seems to realise he needs to chase and tackle to keep his spot, especially as his kicking has dropped off from a year or two ago. He is making the match committee pick him with his extra work.

How good is pressure for spots in the team? It really elevates guys who could be in danger of losing their spot. There's no coasting along and expecting to be picked every week.

Rance Fan
14-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Just need him now to call for the ball in an attackng position rather than behind or beside the play. I think he still needs to man up and follow players down into the back half rather than just sitting on his own on the opposite wing waiting for the easy ball.
He has improved is toughness at the ball and opponent, but needs to keep kicking a few goals from week to week as well as send in those long bombs into the forward 50 that he can do so well.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Just need him now to call for the ball in an attackng position rather than behind or beside the play. I think he still needs to man up and follow players down into the back half rather than just sitting on his own on the opposite wing waiting for the easy ball.He has improved is toughness at the ball and opponent, but needs to keep kicking a few goals from week to week as well as send in those long bombs into the forward 50 that he can do so well.

Hi Rance Fan (Richmond's Rance?). Welcome to WOOF.

Regarding the bolded part of your post above, perhaps this is on instruction from Rocket.. most teams have an outlet player sitting on a wing on what the commentators/dills like to call 'the fat side', and Eagle, with his ability to run and kick long, is a reasonably good outlet. We also use Gia in this role a fair bit. Some teams like to use a ruckman as they can back their marking ability, but the next kick can be a problem when a ruckman is used. (West Coast and Essendon do this with Cox and Hille who are reasonable kicks.)

Go_Dogs
14-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Yes, has been a very good contributor the first few rounds much to the disappointment of Mantis among others. Very impressed with his gut running going the other way, something that was never a strength, and his willingness to make repeat efforts.

Could almost play another year or two at this rate.

Scorlibo
14-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I think with the increasing popularity of the zone he has become a very important player with his long kicking ability - able to break the lines.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Yes, has been a very good contributor the first few rounds much to the disappointment of Mantis among others. Very impressed with his gut running going the other way, something that was never a strength, and his willingness to make repeat efforts.

Two more years = 300 game player.

Imagine his big jumper at the home games next to 3, 5, 6 and 7.

Happy Days
14-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Two more years = 300 game player.

Imagine his big jumper at the home games next to 3, 5, 6 and 7.

Those banners only reflect those who've played all 300 for the Dogs.

Rance Fan
14-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Lantern

Murray Rance fan of the 80s.
Yes perhaps it is on instruction from Rocket..Perhaps...
Hey when it comes off it looks great and a real winner. But it can bite you the other way also.
I think as you say most teams have a player or two that play that role.

bulldogtragic
Those banners only reflect those who've played all 300 for the Dogs.
Surely we could make an exception for TBE. Conisdering it would be over 200 of them.

Sedat
Mantis? You there? :D

Rocket Science
14-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Amazing isn't it?...what genuine competition for your spot creates (along with a heart-to-heart with the cockroach).

Even that toughest of tough crowds Wallsy dipped his lid to Eagleton during the broadcast.

Something's horribly amiss.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Credit where credit is due - Eagle is in form after 10 years of frustration and mediocrity. His attack on the footy has improved out of sight and his second / third efforts are top notch. We just want to see consistency on these points from him ...... and if he every gets another opportunity to kick a goal from 40m out in a Preliminary Final again - he has to at least make the distance!! :mad:

Scraggers
14-04-2009, 04:30 PM

the silence is deafening ;)

Bulldog4life
14-04-2009, 05:29 PM
A great Thread. The Eagle has been very good this season. His tackling has been excellent.It is very easy to bag players unmercifully so let's give kudos when it is deserved. It is good for your soul.:)

Remi Moses
14-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Agree with those sentiments needed to improve his second and third efforts. That's what I've been critical of. Hopefully the eagle can keep up the good form for the rest of the season.

Remi Moses
14-04-2009, 05:38 PM
A great Thread. The Eagle has been very good this season. His tackling has been excellent.It is very easy to bag players unmercifully so let's give kudos when it is deserved. It is good for your soul.:)

Agree but you have to admit The Eagle was very very ordinary until about 2003.

Mantis
14-04-2009, 05:45 PM

the silence is deafening ;)

Yeah I'm here, haven't been on since before the game.

I am not dissapointed that he is playing well. If he had played like this in previous year's there wouldn't have been the need for the amount of abuse he has copped.

I still want to see him perform well against the good teams before I am totally convinced.

Sedat
14-04-2009, 05:56 PM

I am not dissapointed that he is playing well. If he had played like this in previous year's there wouldn't have been the need for the amount of abuse he has copped.

I still want to see him perform well against the good teams before I am totally convinced.
Welcome to the dark side, Mantis. :D

Agree on all above points BTW. But seeing as the thread is about the first 3 games of 2009, he has definitely raised the bar with regard to his defensive and team-oriented exploits (admittedly off a sub-par base). Amazing what the threat of career extinction will do to a player's psyche. But it does beg the question, if he can perform well in these team-oriented areas now, why was he not able to consistently produce in this area in recent seasons?

And you're right, apart from North, we have faced two of the least physical teams in the competition. I look forward to revisiting this thread once we've played the top echelon.

Remi Moses
14-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Dead right.

AndrewP6
14-04-2009, 06:03 PM

Maybe, but the Dogs were ordinary IN 2003! :)

Bulldog4life
14-04-2009, 06:05 PM

But we are talking about this season and how Eagleton has been playing better than he had in previous seasons. Later than 2003!

hujsh
14-04-2009, 06:13 PM
He doesn't always get it right first go but he isn't just letting the mistakes be anymore. His 2nd efforts have been incredible compared to the past.

I still have the instinct to blame him for something prematurely but he has been proving my instincts wrong recently.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2009, 07:12 PM
It's great to see that even a player who is no doubt in the latter stages of his career can find it in him to work on and noticeably improve some of the deficiencies in his game.

As others have said, his tackling, pressure and 2nd efforts have been a real feature this season.

alwaysadog
15-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Agree with just about all that has been said.

Does anyone think that his role has been changed along with those of lots of the other runners in the side?

Mantis
15-04-2009, 08:49 AM
One thing to add, and yes as expected it isn't a positive.

Has anyone else noticed that Nathan can't handball? With the team now playing with a more handball happy style and Nathan playing a more team orientated role rather than as the 'designated kicker' Nathan's inability to handball is being shown up.

Hadn't really noticed this til the Richmond game, but it is something that needs to be improved & quickly.

Go_Dogs
15-04-2009, 09:22 AM
One thing to add, and yes as expected it isn't a positive.

Has anyone else noticed that Nathan can't handball? With the team now playing with a more handball happy style and Nathan playing a more team orientated role rather than as the 'designated kicker' Nathan's inability to handball is being shown up.

Hadn't really noticed this til the Richmond game, but it is something that needs to be improved & quickly.

Yes, the big floaters that running players have to stop, turn back to receive before turning and running on aren't great. Still has a tendency to panic when being harassed and cough up poor handballs.

The Coon Dog
15-04-2009, 09:28 AM
His handballing is somewhat similar to that of Sam Power, where its a matter of getting it off quickly to avoid being caught with the ball, unfortunately there's not alot of power behind it (pardon the pun).

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I think he is a solid player and have always enjoyed the flight of the eagle, he seemed disapointing last but is back on track now. May be his last season though. Very happy to have a player of his quality on the fringe.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 11:50 PM
he had a good start to the year but im not sure hell be in best 22 come mid to late in the season

bornadog
16-04-2009, 12:01 AM
One thing for sure if he loses form or gets injured there is Reid, Wood, O'Keefe all aiming to get into the team and it will be hard to get back, so lets hope he keeps playing well.

bornadog
16-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Good article on Eagleton in The Age today, but I can't find the online link. If anyone can find it please post.

Remi Moses
16-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Maybe, but the Dogs were ordinary IN 2003! :)

Considering we gave up a fair bit for the Eagle he was very ordinary in an ordinary team granted. I remember the Eagle taking his eye of the ball a few times in the early years.The turning point was a game in Sydney 2003 where he got poleaxed and had a blinder

Happy Days
16-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Considering we gave up a fair bit for the Eagle he was very ordinary in an ordinary team granted. I remember the Eagle taking his eye of the ball a few times in the early years.The turning point was a game in Sydney 2003 where he got poleaxed and had a blinder

Sorry but I don't have the best recollection from back in the day...

What did we give up for him?

Rocket Science
16-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry but I don't have the best recollection from back in the day...

What did we give up for him?

We coughed up Brett Montgomery and pick #28, which Port used to snag Brent Guerra.

Rocco Jones
16-04-2009, 09:19 PM
We coughed up Brett Montgomery and pick #28, which Port used to snag Brent Guerra.

We also gave away Stephen Powell and I believe received a later pick.

Sockeye Salmon
16-04-2009, 10:31 PM
We also gave away Stephen Powell and I believe received a later pick.

That we used on Patrick Wiggins.

Rance Fan
19-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Eagleton is still a concern to me. 1st kick out on the full, several crucial kicks ending up in turnovers plus 3 kicks into the opposition. A set shot in the last to maybe give us a sniff - hits the post.
He certainly wasnt the only player who struggled though!

The Coon Dog
19-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I hope I don't appear harsh but today Eagle was just awful. 3 kicks smothered. 3!!! It's rare you see a smother these days but one player having his kicks smothered 3 times is beyond belief.

He handballed to players running past which then put them under the hammer & 2 of his lamentable kicks really stood out for me. One he tried to kick it 90 metres to goal only to see WC sweep it up the other end for a goal & in the last quarter he kicked a mongrel shank type thing with the predictable result. Missing a set shot from 20 metres out almost directly infront wasn't real flash either.

He tackled well twice & got a hand on a WC handball which resulted in a last quarter goal.

I don't think he'll be picked next week.

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 08:38 PM

I don't agree, he will play next week.

I would like to be proved wrong though.

lemmon
19-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I agree with TCD, cant see Eagleton being picked next week not to mention that O'Keefe isnt just knocking on the door, he has absolutely run through it. Both outside players who play similiar roles, definitley time to blood the kid.

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 08:43 PM
It's funny - Eagleton is always picked to be dropped for a bad game...but never is...when was the last time Eagleton lined up in the VFL in recent years?

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 08:46 PM
It's funny - Eagleton is always picked to be dropped for a bad game...but never is...when was the last time Eagleton lined up in the VFL in recent years?

My point exactly.

We are a predictable club when dropping players, and this week will be no different.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Always first to be looked at after a loss. Always. Maybe rightfully, but always first.

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 08:49 PM
But then, that won't stop doggies supporters for blaming him for any losses :D

The Pie Man
19-04-2009, 08:52 PM
It could be different with Benji this year - we're led to believe the acid was put on him over the pre-season (which we all would have endorsed) though I can't imagine he copped the same treatment pre-season 08 (well the whole club was under a little pressure)

Eade would drop Robbins after one bad game in his last year - this is his first poor game of the year (I nearly wrote 'poor effort' but I thought his effort was ok) so I say watch this space.

Just to remind everyone, Richmond lost today

Rance Fan
19-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Johnno and Gia and Gil were ordinary but they wont be dropped either. Got smashed in the ruck i thought. Maybe Skipper in for Will next week. Skipper played well in vfl. Back half played well, Still not sure about Tillers skills. Maybe Everitt may come in also as he played well in vfl also. Murph also to make a much needed and welcome return

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Wonder if the dogs match committee would ever allow any doggies supporters into the inner sanctum.
That would be interesting: "Hey Rocket, get rid of....." and he would say "Yup sure, whatever you say!"

Mantis
19-04-2009, 09:58 PM
I must quantify this post by saying I only saw the last qtr & half, but in this time nothing I saw from Nathan put a smile on my dial.

Fair dinkum any chance of not having your kicks smothered? Any chance of slotting a goal from 30m straight in front when we are making a bit or run? With O'Keefe and Reid both in form perhaps it's time for a changing of the guard?

If we persist with Eagleton we will know in a month after playing a few handy teams if he will be a valuable member of our team or a liablity.

bornadog
19-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I must quantify this post by saying I only saw the last qtr & half, but in this time nothing I saw from Nathan put a smile on my dial.

Fair dinkum any chance of not having your kicks smothered? Any chance of slotting a goal from 30m straight in front when we are making a bit or run? With O'Keefe and Reid both in form perhaps it's time for a changing of the guard?

If we persist with Eagleton we will know in a month after playing a few handy teams if he will be a valuable member of our team or a liablity.

You missed the double smoother in the goal square , third quarter. He was running into an open goal at the time:mad:

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Isn't that a question we already know the answer to?

Each time he's under pressure to perform in a game, he struggles. See: v Geelong 08 Prelim & today when we needed a lift. He can be a good player when everything's going well - See: v Sydney 08 SF. But really - I think his cards should already be marked.

I think we'll need to make a few changes to perhaps get some fresher legs back in the side for next week. I didn't include Eagle in my Out's, because I can't see him being dropped yet - but I'd probably rather see how Reid, Wood or O'Keefe go against the good sides rather than Eagleton. Reason being, we know what Eagleton can and can't do. Blooding players and giving Reid/Wood/O'Keefe an opportunity to impress might do wonders.

Look no further than a LOT of wins from young sides this year already. Particularly in the first two weeks where a lot of the young players really got things going for their respective sides. I'd like to see us do something similar because our kids have been performing very well to date in the reserves.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 09:14 AM
My point exactly.

We are a predictable club when dropping players, and this week will be no different.

Very true, and i think something really needs to be done about that.

Eagleton out

Other players to have a long look at themselves:

Minson, Harbrow, Hahn

Cyberdoggie
20-04-2009, 11:35 AM
This thread is great reading.

It's turned from a "We love Eagle" thread to a "Drop the Eagle" thread.

I've never been a fan of Nathan, and although I must admit he has looked to have a better attack on the ball in the first three games, I still can't find a spot for him in the side.

I really think it's time to blood another young player in his place.
In all likelyhood we will lose Aker and Eagle next season. I'd prefer that we didn't have to play guys like O'keefe, Reid and Wood with only 1 game of experience between them.
We don't have a lot of experience in our player depth but we do have some talent. It's best that we give a few of them a taste.

I'm not suggesting we drop everyone, just make an effort to give at least 1 young player a game each week. At the moment Ward and Harbrow are in the side, I think we can extend that to 1 more young player at the expense of Eagleton.

If we need a hard inside player Sam Reid should be looked at. His disposal still isn't fantastic but he needs games at the best level to help him improve his game, and you can be sure he will bust his gut trying.

O'Keefe would definately have an impact, he's a real opportunist in front of goals, and although probably isn't as fit as he needs to be and sometimes lacks effort (sounds like Eagle!) he is capable of stepping up much like Josh Hill has done.

Desipura
20-04-2009, 01:05 PM
I hope I don't appear harsh but today Eagle was just awful. 3 kicks smothered. 3!!! It's rare you see a smother these days but one player having his kicks smothered 3 times is beyond belief.

He handballed to players running past which then put them under the hammer & 2 of his lamentable kicks really stood out for me. One he tried to kick it 90 metres to goal only to see WC sweep it up the other end for a goal & in the last quarter he kicked a mongrel shank type thing with the predictable result. Missing a set shot from 20 metres out almost directly infront wasn't real flash either.

He tackled well twice & got a hand on a WC handball which resulted in a last quarter goal.

I hope you are right, O'Keefe appears the logical replacement for him. I was extremely disappointed yesterday with his performance hence why I did not post anything that I may regret. Today I still feel the same, but am composed enough to just say "he has to be dropped"

bornadog
20-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I hope you are right, O'Keefe appears the logical replacement for him. I was extremely disappointed yesterday with his performance hence why I did not post anything that I may regret. Today I still feel the same, but am composed enough to just say "he has to be dropped"

He had many opportunities to actually get us back into the game, but failed. I too am very disappointed with his efforts. I can't believe he picked up 22 disposals.

Mofra
20-04-2009, 01:22 PM
O'Keefe is one of the least fit guys in the side isn't he? On that basis is probably isn't type for a straight swap for Eagleton (sneaky forward/mid for a gut-runner). Hill could play the role, but then we'd to bring in a lead up forward and Grant isn't a fitness guru either, Welsh & Murphy aren't fit yet.

Eagle could well be safe for one more week.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 01:28 PM
But...but....Eagle HAS to be dropped!!!!!! It's the only way to satisfy the natives!

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 01:43 PM
But...but....Eagle HAS to be dropped!!!!!! It's the only way to satisfy the natives!

The natives will not be satisfied this week then. He will play!! Others much worse than him out at Subi yesterday no Jordan to bash about so another target had to be found.

bornadog
20-04-2009, 02:05 PM
O'Keefe is one of the least fit guys in the side isn't he?

Is that statement based on fact or a guess? Looked very good on Saturday, ran all day and all over the park.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Given the role played by Eagleton, that is, run into space, run the lines and put the ball into the forward fifty, it is mandatory that he kick the bowl accurately and when possible, long.

His failure to do that yesterday was palpable

After the preliminary final, I said never again. His form in the first three games was promising but this latest effort confirms my original view

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Second that motion. There wasn't many places that O'Keefe didn't get to against the pies.

Mofra
20-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Is that statement based on fact or a guess? Looked very good on Saturday, ran all day and all over the park.
Based on his beep tests & Eade comments.

Ozza
20-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Eagleton was absolutely dreadful again yesterday and I don't want to see him in the seniors again. The bloke is getting on in years now - his best is well behind him and the games when he is poor are so bad that I'd simply prefer a younger bloke to be there.

Anytime we looked like doing something good yesterday Eagleton stuffed it up. His kicking was awful and Nickoski was able to drive them out of defence so easily that it really hurt us.

I'm sure a few of you will get on and defend him and say he's the 'whipping boy'. Well he should be.

Sockeye Salmon
20-04-2009, 05:50 PM
The natives will not be satisfied this week then. He will play!! Others much worse than him out at Subi yesterday no Jordan to bash about so another target had to be found.

No, I don't think there was.

Hahn, Minson, Giansiracusa, Harbrow, even Gilbee, all had shockers, but none of them came even close to the rubbish that came off Eagleton's left (and on one or two occasions right) boot.

Remi Moses
20-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Given the role played by Eagleton, that is, run into space, run the lines and put the ball into the forward fifty, it is mandatory that he kick the bowl accurately and when possible, long.

His failure to do that yesterday was palpable

After the preliminary final, I said never again. His form in the first three games was promising but this latest effort confirms my original view

Pressure high intensity Eagle went missing,and his disposal was totally awful.:mad:Keep ranting on about scapegoats if you like but the facts are in BIG GAMES the Eagle's disposal goes missing.BTW it's not compulsory to blow wind up the arse of everyone who dons the guernsey.

bornadog
20-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Based on his beep tests & Eade comments.

Needs another test;)

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Wonder what the natives will do if Eagleton doesn't get dropped?

Sedat
20-04-2009, 06:32 PM
We'll continue on with our lives like we've done every week since 2003, the last time (from memory) that the Eagle was dropped from the seniors.

The Coon Dog
20-04-2009, 06:42 PM

How so Dex?

dogman
20-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I would drop Eagleton in a heart beat but I don't believe Eade will. He will need to play a couple of shockers like yesterday in a row for Eade to drop him. Knowing Eagleton he will do a couple of nice things this week against the blues and Eade will give him some more time.

I would prefer to play Hill or Everett in his position/role. They are younger, taller, can mark above their head and I believe better kicks too.

Mofra
20-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I would prefer to play Hill or Everett in his position/role. They are younger, taller, can mark above their head and I believe better kicks too.
Hill yes (although we'd be down a little on physicality) although we need him up forward at the moment.

I don't think Everitt gets enough of the ball to challenge Eagle's spot yet.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Unfortuneately, the Eagle relies on others to bring him into the game. When the majority are down and making mistakes as was the case yesterday, the Eagle drops to that level rather than standing up and leading the way. Will he stay in the side? Probably. Should he? It has to be based asround the balance of the side and who is available to come in - time for some new blood I say.

Rance Fan
20-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I say drop Eagleton and bring in Cam Wight!

At least then we will still have someone to complain about!!!

Mantis
20-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I say drop Eagleton and bring in Cam Wight!

At least then we will still have someone to complain about!!!

What's the point of posting that?

Rance Fan
20-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Mantis

its called a bit of little hearted humour. Personally i think they should move Hill onto the wing and Grant into the forward line. Likely Eagleton wont be dropped though.

Mantis
20-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Mantis

its called a bit of little hearted humour. Personally i think they should move Hill onto the wing and Grant into the forward line. Likely Eagleton wont be dropped though.

Oh sorry, ha ha.

strebla
20-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognise that the bald one is in a whole heap of troube.I have been one of his greatest detractors but I can't justify dropping him after he had so many mates lets see how he goes this week and see if O'Keefe can keep the pressre on him.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 10:20 PM
How so Dex?

Just that, Eagleton keeps getting picked to be dropped but never is....what's the point?
I'm not one of those posters, who wants changes for an upcoming game, just for the sake of it. Every week it's either Tiller, Eagle or Harbrow. It kind of gets a bit repetitive i.e boring.

I even read somewhere that Hahn should be dropped but Addison shouldn't because he has a "few credits". So doesn't Hahn have a few credits in the bank as well?

Interesting.

The Coon Dog
20-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Just that, Eagleton keeps getting picked to be dropped but never is....what's the point?
I'm not one of those posters, who wants changes for an upcoming game, just for the sake of it. Every week it's either Tiller, Eagle or Harbrow. It kind of gets a bit repetitive i.e boring.

I even read somewhere that Hahn should be dropped but Addison shouldn't because he has a "few credits". So doesn't Hahn have a few credits in the bank as well?

Interesting.

Some of the calls for certain players to be dropped stagger me too, but I do think Eagle has his faults & given his age, they're not going to improve. He has to use his strengths which is his long raking left foot. Sadly that's waning, bit like Bubba in his last season where he lost a few yards kicking wise.

Obviously we can all speculate which players should & shouldn't play, that's what this forum's for, but at the end of the day it's the match committee who decide.

Eagle was told by the coach that this season he wouldn't be guaranteed a game & would have to perform. He took that advice positively & stated he was prepared to accept the challenge.

Sorry if it's repetitive, but Eagle's errors are too.

Rocco Jones
20-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Let me start off by saying I am definitely not a fan of Eagle's.

I think a lot of fans overrate the actual depth promising youngsters offer to a side. Sine last night's loss a few posters have commented on how our depth is overrated, as insane as it sounds I think Geelong's depth is overrated. There's nothing like a gun side to make average players look like good ones.

In terms of next week, I believe Eagle offers us a tiny bit more than the likes of Ward, Harbrow and Ward. If we weren't aiming for the top four, I would have Eagleton already delisted, let alone out of the side. I guess the question we need to ask is even if he is in the 22, is it worth another kid being groomed? I definitely thinks he struggles against the pressure good sides offer and that doesn't bode too well for his September chances. If we treat him as a week to week prospect I will have no real issues. If he continues to stay in the side despite poor performances than I will ask Mantis for a membership to his fine group.

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 12:06 PM
No surprises that he is playing tomorrow.

Our club is so predictable, of course Tiller was the one to go.

Happy Days
25-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Let me start off by saying I am definitely not a fan of Eagle's.

I think a lot of fans overrate the actual depth promising youngsters offer to a side. Sine last night's loss a few posters have commented on how our depth is overrated, as insane as it sounds I think Geelong's depth is overrated. There's nothing like a gun side to make average players look like good ones.

In terms of next week, I believe Eagle offers us a tiny bit more than the likes of Ward, Harbrow and Ward. If we weren't aiming for the top four, I would have Eagleton already delisted, let alone out of the side. I guess the question we need to ask is even if he is in the 22, is it worth another kid being groomed? I definitely thinks he struggles against the pressure good sides offer and that doesn't bode too well for his September chances. If we treat him as a week to week prospect I will have no real issues. If he continues to stay in the side despite poor performances than I will ask Mantis for a membership to his fine group.

You must really not rate young Callan.

Mofra
25-04-2009, 02:20 PM
He's talking about right now, not on potential. Eagle is one of the best runners we have in the side, and Ward's kicking whilst good doesn't seem to have the penetration Eagle can get off his left (when he is firing). I really rate Ward's work in traffic though, especially by hand.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2009, 03:10 PM

Quite the opposite mate, I think Callan will be a very good/gun player. If Ward doesn't have a much superior career to that of Eagle's I will be very disappointed.

I just think a lot of fans overrate the value of a youngster in their 22. We are much easier on younger guys than we are on veterans and fair enough to an extent. But when we are pushing for a top four finish and the like, we need to be picking players who add the most to the team and use age/grooming the player as a tiebreaker if value added is even. I also think the advantage of playing kids in the seniors can be very overrated.

I must say I think Eagle is on borrowed time, I just hope the likes of Ward and Harbrow can do enough to get and keep him out of the side. We must remember it's not just about what Eagle offers us but what he offers us in comparison to the 23rd player picked.

soupman
25-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I think Happy Days was just commenting on the listing of Ward twice as being a worse option next week than Eagleton, not questioning your opinion Rocco.

Happy Days
25-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I think Happy Days was just commenting on the listing of Ward twice as being a worse option next week than Eagleton, not questioning your opinion Rocco.

Bingo!

It was my bad for not putting in a smiley face though.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Bingo!

It was my bad for not putting in a smiley face though.

LOL, I am a dill!

I think I was going to say Addison but thought that was a bit harsh on him, so me mind must have reset!

The Coon Dog
25-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I am a dill!
Another quote for your signature? :D

Rocco Jones
25-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Another quote for your signature? :D

That would involve too big a conflict of interest TCD. It would also be rather indulgent.

doggystyle
26-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Eagleton was brilliant today amongst numerous average player. Thank god we have him!

bulldogtragic
26-04-2009, 07:18 PM
He got more contested possessions than anyone most doggies players today, got more footy than Nick Stevens and took care fo Nick Stevens more genreally in the game.

Yet i'm sure there is a conga line of eagle haters lining up to blame him for the loss.

But guess what, we will be anither game closer to 250 next week folks.

Rance Fan
26-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Well he certainly wasnt damaging with his contested possessions.. and as for taking care of Nick Stevens... Stevens is a dud! Stevens didnt get the ball cos the rest of the blues midfield got the ball and did something effective before we or Stevens got to it.
If Eagleton is a tagger now, and had towelled up Stevens they should of moved him onto Marc Murphy ...a far more important and effective player

bulldogtragic
26-04-2009, 08:13 PM
That's a question for the coach then. He was given a job, and i thought he did his job. He was a long distance from out worst this week and tough looking at him for this week would be unfair. I would rev him up and do whatever they did pre-season, and use his run and carry against the Saints.

I'd almost consider a Farren Ray/Eagle matchup. I think Eagle could do they job on him, match his cut running and be a good fit.

Rance Fan
26-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Fair points, hope he can fix Ray up. Hopefully they persist with Eagleton til game 249 and then drop him for the rest of the season. Hehehe

bulldogtragic
26-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Fair points, hope he can fix Ray up. Hopefully they persist with Eagleton til game 249 and then drop him for the rest of the season. Hehehe
A mature outlook.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Well he certainly wasnt damaging with his contested possessions.. and as for taking care of Nick Stevens... Stevens is a dud! Stevens didnt get the ball cos the rest of the blues midfield got the ball and did something effective before we or Stevens got to it.
If Eagleton is a tagger now, and had towelled up Stevens they should of moved him onto Marc Murphy ...a far more important and effective player

Hardly Eagles fault, he can only play the person they put him on. Stevens a dud??? That's a pretty ordinary comment.
Eagle was hardly our worst and some of your comments on this thread are a bit over the top.

Rance Fan
26-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Personally i dont think Stevens is a great player, thats how i see it. And yes Eagle did what was required, and yes wasnt the worst. Liighten up guys, we are not the match commitee everything doesnt need to be so mature or serious. In the end we all have our opinions one way or another, but they are all irrelevant in the end. Its not like what i say or anyone else says will change the lineup or the way the dogs go about it.

The Coon Dog
26-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Personally i dont think Stevens is a great player, thats how i see it. And yes Eagle did what was required, and yes wasnt the worst. Liighten up guys, we are not the match commitee everything doesnt need to be so mature or serious. In the end we all have our opinions one way or another, but they are all irrelevant in the end. Its not like what i say or anyone else says will change the lineup or the way the dogs go about it.

Agree, but to wish someone plays up to 249 games then gets dropped is just childish, infact it's a very poor post.

doggystyle
26-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Agree, but to wish someone plays up to 249 games then gets dropped is just childish, infact it's a very poor post.
yeah but it's funny...truth be told Eagleton does not deserve to be there...my earlier comment was sarcastic. he's far from brilliant. in fact, i find him extremely annoying. why on earth does he always call for the easy posessions behind play instead of leading into the forward line and taking a posession that might end up counting towards our score line. He's weak and lazy...typical show pony. only looks good when the team is playing well. i think he should spend some more time with higgins and learn what a real player is

The Coon Dog
26-04-2009, 09:14 PM
yeah but it's funny...

You must be easy to please if you find something like that funny; it's just childish! By all means, have a crack at Eagleton about his deficiencies as you have done, but to say what Rance Fan did adds nothing to this forum :rolleyes:

AndrewP6
26-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I thought Eagleton wasn't that bad today...

alwaysadog
26-04-2009, 09:37 PM

There's an old aussie saying that I think might be appropriate, "may all you chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny down".

bulldogtragic
26-04-2009, 10:08 PM
yeah but it's funny...truth be told Eagleton does not deserve to be there...my earlier comment was sarcastic. he's far from brilliant. in fact, i find him extremely annoying. why on earth does he always call for the easy posessions behind play instead of leading into the forward line and taking a posession that might end up counting towards our score line. He's weak and lazy...typical show pony. only looks good when the team is playing well. i think he should spend some more time with higgins and learn what a real player is
Hilarious. Bloody hilarious. Lets hope someone who has committed most of his adult life to our club is deliberately not allowed to reach a milestone.

I find both sets of comments exceptionally offensive, outrageously against the standards of this site and generally absolutely against what our great club stands for.

This thread was to acknowledge the good things a loyal club person has been doing over weeks and continued today and to immaturely and disgracefully attack a club servant deserves peope espousing those views to be kicked off this site.

Mofra
26-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Eagle certainly wasn't our worst today, did run hard for periods of the match when few were.

Having said thatm, I wasn't happy with the way he finished the game off. A couple of contests he ran to the wrong spots, and his endeavour waned. A player of his experience should not be running to wrong spots just outside the contest - makes him a passenger. Outside players need to be able to get the ball & deliver well (ie as Hill did today).

Eagle would be winger no 2 on today's effort, and wouldn't want too many good games by guys at Willy. If Cross ever actually kicked the ball Eagle would be in trouble as we could afford another inside mid like Reid in the side.

Rance Fan
26-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Hilarious. Bloody hilarious. Lets hope someone who has committed most of his adult life to our club is deliberately not allowed to reach a milestone.

I find both sets of comments exceptionally offensive, outrageously against the standards of this site and generally absolutely against what our great club stands for.

This thread was to acknowledge the good things a loyal club person has been doing over weeks and continued today and to immaturely and disgracefully attack a club servant deserves peope espousing those views to be kicked off this site.

Oh yes hes not going to reach his milestone cos i said so!:confused:
Where are the standards for this site listed?
The thread also has many not so good things listed about him...Ohh No!!
As for kicking people off this site...so threatening and mature!
Dont get ya back up and attack others just because someone has differing opinions to you. We dont all see Eagle as our lovechild.

Mofra
26-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Dont get ya back up and attack others just because someone has differing opinions to you. We dont all see Eagle as our lovechild.
Plenty of people don't have him as a lovechild - very few wish ill will on a player though. That's simply poor form. A very "Richmond" attitude.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2009, 10:58 PM
WOOF was started many years ago, but a few people here. We grew with new members adding sinsible comments and contributing information. Sometimes agreeing and sometimes disagreeing. Where we differed from other sites, or our unique point of difference, was that we all loved the club and were all members of the club and we acted mature and resposibly and posted accordingly.

The standards were and may still be listed, but standards need alwats not be overt, they may be covert rules too. These can be viewed by watching the way the members here communicate with each other. I accept that not every member likes every player and that is a good thing for healthy and lively discussion. SO I encourage that, as does the leadership. I never threatened to kick you or anyone form the site, what I did suggest is those espousing immature views which are disrespecrful and breach either covert or overt rules be deregistered to ensure the quality and uniqueness for which WOOF is known and highly respected to be maintained.

My back is not up for matters relating to differences of opinion, traces of my posts will find I was a keen supporter of Sam Power. My back is up for the immature manner and behaviour you exhibited which goes against everything WOOF stands for. Sure, have an opinion and be spiritied and use sound facts and reasoning in doing so and be respected by many great people here within WOOF and that run WOOF. Or continue immature posts that sledge our players and take the risk that moderators will place the reputation and sanctity of WOOF above your want to post here.

For your last point Eagle isn't my lovechild, he is a player for a club I am a member of. I beleive in offering support and critique when needed. My love and affection for my club and supporting, not knifing, my players I consider a priviledge and good thing.

Either start posting constructive, infomrative, intersting or the like posts of return to bigfooty. WOOF is about quality posts, by well infomred people not quantity. It is a privlidge to be a part of WOOF not a right. Start paying some respect or the privlidge could be removed.

Thanks for reading.

Rance Fan
26-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Plenty of people don't have him as a lovechild - very few wish ill will on a player though. That's simply poor form. A very "Richmond" attitude.

Im not wishing ill on a player...im not suggesting at all he pass away or get injured:confused:
I just think he should be dropped due to poor form. i dont think he is in our best 22 going forward.. Its just an opinion though! Dare i express that.

alwaysadog
26-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Let's all calm down and let's stop the abuse.

I'm fed up with the attacks on Eagleton not because I think he is perfect or our best player but because I think like all the players on the list he wants to do his best. Those who deny this are just engaging in cheap shots and ought to take a good hard look etc.

If any player is subject to fair reasoned criticism backed by evidence then that's fair enough, but childish delight in denying any of them recognition for their service under the misguided belief that every opinion is equally valid and is not on.

What is more it tells me and the other people who read this board, more about the person amused by that prospect than it does about the player... and frankly I don't want to know such things and I wonder why someone would want to use this site to engage in such immature propositions.

Mofra
26-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Im not wishing ill on a player...im not suggesting at all he pass away or get injured:confused:

Hopefully they persist with Eagleton til game 249 and then drop him for the rest of the season. Hehehe

You may need to adjust your thinking a little. Hoping a player gets close to a milestone and then gets dropped is funny, but not ill will? Disagree. Strongly.

AndrewP6
26-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Why can't we all just get along?

Rance Fan
26-04-2009, 11:20 PM
WOOF was started many years ago, but a few people here. We grew with new members adding sinsible comments and contributing information. Sometimes agreeing and sometimes disagreeing. Where we differed from other sites, or our unique point of difference, was that we all loved the club and were all members of the club and we acted mature and resposibly and posted accordingly.

The standards were and may still be listed, but standards need alwats not be overt, they may be covert rules too. These can be viewed by watching the way the members here communicate with each other. I accept that not every member likes every player and that is a good thing for healthy and lively discussion. SO I encourage that, as does the leadership. I never threatened to kick you or anyone form the site, what I did suggest is those espousing immature views which are disrespecrful and breach either covert or overt rules be deregistered to ensure the quality and uniqueness for which WOOF is known and highly respected to be maintained.

My back is not up for matters relating to differences of opinion, traces of my posts will find I was a keen supporter of Sam Power. My back is up for the immature manner and behaviour you exhibited which goes against everything WOOF stands for. Sure, have an opinion and be spiritied and use sound facts and reasoning in doing so and be respected by many great people here within WOOF and that run WOOF. Or continue immature posts that sledge our players and take the risk that moderators will place the reputation and sanctity of WOOF above your want to post here.

For your last point Eagle isn't my lovechild, he is a player for a club I am a member of. I beleive in offering support and critique when needed. My love and affection for my club and supporting, not knifing, my players I consider a priviledge and good thing.

Either start posting constructive, infomrative, intersting or the like posts of return to bigfooty. WOOF is about quality posts, by well infomred people not quantity. It is a privlidge to be a part of WOOF not a right. Start paying some respect or the privlidge could be removed.

Thanks for reading.

I have nothing against WOOF or the club, and as a member i to hope for the best for the team.
If you see my critcism as sledging knifing or immature so be it. Its just your opinion, thats all.
Thanks for your preaching and policing, ok well im moving forward and not going on about this anymore.

Talking footy, as someone mentioned earlier tell me do you think Eagleton would be a good matchup for Ray next week?
I think it would be a good contest, between them both. You?

Sedat
26-04-2009, 11:25 PM
He got more contested possessions than anyone most doggies players today, got more footy than Nick Stevens and took care fo Nick Stevens more genreally in the game.
He did a reaonable job, and certainly tried to involve himself in heavy traffic (albeit in a clumsy and unnatural way). But there were certainly instances in Eagle's game today of (for want of a better description) "hot potato dishing-it-off as quickly as possible so that it is someone else's problem", which is something that Eagle has done on so many occasions throughout his career that it is almost his signature move.

Hahn, Minson, Gia and Harbrow were all far more culpable non-contributors than Eagle this week. So was Bob Murphy, but when a bloke cannot even turn laterally, why on earth did he even play - I though this was a terrible selection by the match commitee to risk one of our key playmakers so early in the season when it was clear and obvious that he was not even close to being ready for AFL match conditions.

The Coon Dog
26-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Talking footy, as someone mentioned earlier tell me do you think Eagleton would be a good matchup for Ray next week?

In the air Farren would dominate, he's sticking those overhead grabs really well right now. I'm sure through rotations they renew acquaintances, but if Eagle is to play the 'lock down' role on anyone it's more likely to be Dal Santo or Hayes, not Farren Ray.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2009, 11:27 PM
I have nothing against WOOF or the club, and as a member i to hope for the best for the team.
If you see my critcism as sledging knifing or immature so be it. Its just your opinion, thats all.
Thanks for your preaching and policing, ok well im moving forward and not going on about this anymore.

As APIA say, wise move.

I would love to see Farren on Eagleton. I think it would be a loose match-up, but given's Ray's form we may want to have him checked a little closer. I would love to have Dylan play on him for him closing speed and Farren's seeming inability to legaly dispose of the ball when being tackled from behind. That would mean he would not free be for Milne. Perhaps Picken might be the man for that job??? As a crazy idea. I'm note sure if we need a tag, or take them on one/one in the guts? Then see how they rate Eagle on the wing?

The selection table will be very interesting this week, with some key matchups.

LostDoggy
26-04-2009, 11:43 PM
A sad day and reading some of these posts frustrates me too. We should back our club and players, those that make the decisions are far more experienced in these matters and paid to do the job because they have earned it. I have enjoyed watching the bald eagle for a long time but I think this will be his last year, if the many that decide upon our team each week think he deserves to be there then he probably does, have some faith. The man is being used as a scapegoat, and admittedly, while not up to my (lofty,wishful) standards, many others are not pulling their weight either. Anyway, f@rk it because dogs will be there in September and hopefully putting it all together this time at the right end of the season and the right and deserving 22.

Stefcep
26-04-2009, 11:47 PM

You know our REAL problem at the moment isn't the hard ball gets. We got guys like Cross that can do that. Our problem is what we do when we win the hard ball. That is, we don't hit our targets either by hand or foot as well as we should, and our kicks at gaols have been abysmal. Winning the hardball is only half the job, and means nothing if you cough it up in the next pass, or if you miss sitters from 20 metres out. I think over the years Eagleton has been valuable in finishing from outside 50, and generally his passing by foot has been good. I don't think i'll ever be able to say that about Cross, even if he plays 250 games..

bulldogtragic
26-04-2009, 11:50 PM
You know our REAL problem at the moment isn't the hard ball gets. We got guys like Cross that can do that. Our problem is what we do when we win the hard ball. That is, we don't hit our targets either by hand or foot as well as we should, and our kicks at gaols have been abysmal. Winning the hardball is only half the job, and means nothing if you cough it up in the next pass, or if you miss sitters from 20 metres out. I think over the years Eagleton has been valuable in finishing from outside 50, and generally his passing by foot has been good. I don't think i'll ever be able to say that about Cross, even if he plays 250 games..
Too true. I love crossy, heart and soul of the club. But there were a few times where he seemingly refused to kick today for no reason when there was a clear advantage. This is/was very strange.

Funny enough, two years ago were talking about not getting the hardball and Eagle, Ray and McMahon sitting back waiting for the easy kicks and no-one getting the ball.

More interesting, than funny i guess.

lemmon
26-04-2009, 11:51 PM

I agree, we all respect the guy who wins the hard in and under ball but it would be useless if we didnt have the skilled, outside running players.

Sedat
26-04-2009, 11:56 PM
You know our REAL problem at the moment isn't the hard ball gets. We got guys like Cross that can do that. Our problem is what we do when we win the hard ball. That is, we don't hit our targets either by hand or foot as well as we should, and our kicks at gaols have been abysmal. Winning the hardball is only half the job, and means nothing if you cough it up in the next pass, or if you miss sitters from 20 metres out. I think over the years Eagleton has been valuable in finishing from outside 50, and generally his passing by foot has been good. I don't think i'll ever be able to say that about Cross, even if he plays 250 games.
Opposition players are now just zoning off Crossy and letting him run with the ball in the expectation that he won't be able to hit a target further upfield. They are also doing their homework on Griffen and Gilbee, having identified these two and the best run and carry exponents in the team at the moment. None of Cross, Boyd, Picken, Addison, Ward or Gia are quick, nor do they possess exquisite skills. So you cut Gilbee and Griffen out of the contest, you go a hell of a lond way to beating the Dogs at present.

Then factor in a forward line that is not working anywhere near hard enough to provide a target for the forward 50 entry and you have what we dished up today.

Stefcep
26-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Too true. I love crossy, heart and soul of the club. But there were a few times where he seemingly refused to kick today for no reason when there was a clear advantage. This is/was very strange.

Funny enough, two years ago were talking about not getting the hardball and Eagle, Ray and McMahon sitting back waiting for the easy kicks and no-one getting the ball.

More interesting, than funny i guess.

I think there's a group of players who possibly due to their loyalty to the club and hard- working work ethic seem to be "off-limits" from criticism about a part of their game that is lacking . I think Cross has been one of them. As far as I'm concerned, until we win a premiership, the weaknesses of ALL players need to be put under the microscope and genuine efforts made to fix those areas that are sub-par.

By the same token, i think we need to give credit to the positives as well, rather than hang it on Eagle for not be hard enough at the ball. He's basically been a one-club player, doesn't happen a lot these days, give the guy his due.

Rocco Jones
27-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Yes there are issues with Cross' game but he is definitely in our best 22 and I don't think he would benefit from playing for Willy.

I agree with the initial comment about his reluctance to kick the ball. The massive issue I have with him at the moment is that he is handballing even when it's a bigger risk/smaller reward than a typical Daniel Cross kick.

Stefcep
27-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Yes there are issues with Cross' game but he is definitely in our best 22 and I don't think he would benefit from playing for Willy.

I agree with the initial comment about his reluctance to kick the ball. The massive issue I have with him at the moment is that he is handballing even when it's a bigger risk/smaller reward than a typical Daniel Cross kick.

Not saying we should drop Cross- i mean who else have we got to do his job- just set an intensive program of kicking training for him.

He's decision to handball at all costs has gotta be due to his zero confidence in his kicking.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 12:12 AM
By the same token, i think we need to give credit to the positives as well, rather than hang it on Eagle for not be hard enough at the ball. He's basically been a one-club player, doesn't happen a lot these days, give the guy his due.

Apart from his three years at Port....:confused:

Stefcep
27-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Apart from his three years at Port....:confused:

The key word being "basically". He came to us as a 21-year old after begining his career playing for one of only two AFL clubs in the State he was born in. He's spent 9 seasons with us, he needs to be acknowledged for his loyalty. He's been a good servant.

Rocco Jones
27-04-2009, 12:22 AM
The key word being "basically". He came to us as a 21-year old after begining his career playing for one of only two AFL clubs in the State he was born in. He's spent 9 seasons with us, he needs to be acknowledged for his loyalty. He's been a good servant.

It's easy to be loyal when no one else wants you.

Stefcep
27-04-2009, 12:27 AM
It's easy to be loyal when no one else wants you.
Oh c'mon. You think the Dogs felt too sorry for him to cut him off the list in 9 years? How many other players who have wanted to play have been cut from Dog's list in that time?

Rocco Jones
27-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Oh c'mon. You think the Dogs felt too sorry for him to cut him off the list in 9 years? How many other players who have wanted to play have been cut from Dog's list in that time?

I don't think we kept him on the list because we felt too sorry for him, I am just saying it's easier to be loyal to your side when other sides don't want you.

doggystyle
27-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Why can't we all just get along?
Oh I agree...I thought this forum was for expressing opinions. I had no idea we'd need to censor them for some sensitive participants. The reality is, none of us are part of the coaching staff and it's nice to be able to express our frustrations here but also our acknowledgements. For example, I think we would've benefited yesterday with Eagleton showing more of a Higgins' style effort. And Josh Hill, who previously I thought had a few average games, was brilliant. I am not dissing the club but I also don't agree with putting a player on a pedestal when they don't deserve to be there. I certainly don't think Eagleton is doing his best. If i'm wrong, and that pathetic effort is his best...then I can only hope he is dropped indefinitely.

Rance Fan
27-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Even though Eagleton did a reasonable job tagging against the blues i think that he would be more effective for us if he plays is attacking running game. Id like to see him play on the wing against Ray and hopefully have him out gun him.
Oh and btw i do hope he make 250 games, he has played some great games for the dogs over the years. The 249 dig was not directed at him, more just a bit of a laugh at 42-c-3 countdown to 250. Letshope he gets the 250 so the 300 countdown can start. :)

Regards Milne will Morris be used to shut him down? Id rather him on Reiwioldt. ...so that leaves, Picken, Harbrow, Hargraves? I hope they bring T. Callum back into the side for the job. Any other views?

Mantis
27-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Not saying we should drop Cross- i mean who else have we got to do his job- just set an intensive program of kicking training for him.

He's decision to handball at all costs has gotta be due to his zero confidence in his kicking.

Hahaha.

The guy has been on an AFL list for 7 or 8 years... Do you think he has just been doing handball drills in this time?

alwaysadog
27-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Oh I agree...I thought this forum was for expressing opinions. I had no idea we'd need to censor them for some sensitive participants. The reality is, none of us are part of the coaching staff and it's nice to be able to express our frustrations here but also our acknowledgements.

I don't think this site was set up for the expression of opinions or for the venting of one's frustrations nor for the use of demeaning and emotionally laden language. There are other sites that do that and those who post there have turned that form of non critique into an art form.

Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately this site was created for the purpose of discussion and that means that the brain predominates rather than the emotions , it also means that an opinion will only be accepted if it is supported by logical argument and something to back it up.

These are the key aspects of discussion, if you don't have arguments and evidence then we have no way of knowing if your opinion is worth any consideration.

If that makes us "sensitive" then you have not understood what I have been writing, nor is it a form of censorship it's a little matter of self control and respect for our club, our players and the other users of this board, even those one disagrees with.

bulldogtragic
27-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think this site was set up for the expression of opinions or for the venting of one's frustrations nor for the use of demeaning and emotionally laden language. There are other sites that do that and those who post there have turned that form of non critique into an art form.

Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately this site was created for the purpose of discussion and that means that the brain predominates rather than the emotions , it also means that an opinion will only be accepted if it is supported by logical argument and something to back it up.

These are the key aspects of discussion, if you don't have arguments and evidence then we have no way of knowing if your opinion is worth any consideration.

If that makes us "sensitive" then you have not understood what I have been writing, nor is it a form of censorship it's a little matter of self control and respect for our club, our players and the other users of this board, even those one disagrees with.
Precisely. Like it or leave it.

soupman
27-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Hahaha.

The guy has been on an AFL list for 7 or 8 years... Do you think he has just been doing handball drills in this time?

Yeah. When he first came to the club he was a 35m kick and an average one at that. He has improved to become a reliable, but not damaging kick over up to 40m. He's never going to be Gilbee or Cooney like with his kicking, and come to think of it I've never seen him spear a pass. His kicking isn't great, but unfortunately isn't going to get much better.

doggystyle
27-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Precisely. Like it or leave it.
Likewise

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Doggystyle, I have left this well enough alone for a while, but your lack of respect is sadly out of place on a forum like this. When 42-C-3 or bornadog tell you to 'like it or leave it', they are well within their rights to, as long time contributors (and that's the key word -- they 'contribute' to the general tone and culture of this board), to try to create some boundaries for our little escapade in cyberspace.

However, when yourself, a 9-post newcomer, tramples onto this board with a disregard for all and sundry, please don't expect to receive respect that you have not earnt, while you disrespect everyone else in the meantime.

Your attitude seems to be that this is a 'free for all' board just because it exists on the internet. It is not. GVGjr and Bulldog Belle and all the other wonderful administrators and moderators of WOOF have spent a lot of their time, money and effort (while you have contributed nothing thus far) to set up the site and ensure that it is a wonderful place for all of us to enjoy talking about our Dogs. It is a labour of love for them, and I would expect newcomers to the site to display a bit of humility and gratitude instead of a 'I have a right to do whatever I like' attitude.

It is a privilege to be on a board you neither created nor maintain, as it is for all of us. There is a dominant culture on this board, and if you do not like it, you are well within your rights to leave. I have found members here to be, by and large, very flexible, friendly and greatly welcoming of newcomers. However, please don't expect the culture and longtime contributors to change or bend over backwards to accomodate your abuse.

ps. Your assertion elsewhere that this is 'only a board and not the coaching panel' is misguided in any instance. A reason why being a part of WOOF is such a privilege is the proximity and personal relationships many of us have with the coaches (senior and otherwise) and players at the Dogs, as well as being longtime professionals or contributors to the football industry, with coaches, Dog's players (past and present) and members of the media amongst our regular readers and posters, so please understand why disrespect is taken personally in some instances, and is, by and large, not tolerated (unless clearly in jest, of course).

bulldogtragic
27-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Likewise
What? ... I know you are but what am I? - Not a mature response at all... I don't expect a parade around the MCG, but a tincy little bit of respect for the few of us who for a few years followed the great lead of GVGjr and BB to start and grow WOOF and got it to be the premier place where bulldog lovers and members could share informed discussion and have sensible, fact based arguments without cheap shots, poor nettiquette and the like. And have access to people, past players, coaches, team management you wouldn't get close to. It has taken years to grow WOOF to where it is and I for one won't stand for behaviours we have never tolerated, which in turn has made WOOF so good that we don't have to tolerate imaturity and stupidity if and when it occurs.

Lantern, another long term contributor, has said it beautifully and i wont waste more time and key strokes. In short, not everything is for everyone, so if you don't like WOOF and the culture here, i'm sure you can be accomodated elsewhere and you yourself will get much more enjoyment too.

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Opposition players are now just zoning off Crossy and letting him run with the ball in the expectation that he won't be able to hit a target further upfield. They are also doing their homework on Griffen and Gilbee, having identified these two and the best run and carry exponents in the team at the moment. None of Cross, Boyd, Picken, Addison, Ward or Gia are quick, nor do they possess exquisite skills. So you cut Gilbee and Griffen out of the contest, you go a hell of a lond way to beating the Dogs at present.

Then factor in a forward line that is not working anywhere near hard enough to provide a target for the forward 50 entry and you have what we dished up today.

This is interesting. This sounds like a truth from personal observation rather than repeating the media chorus. Will have to keep an eye on Cross.

Mantis
27-04-2009, 11:04 PM
The time has come.

G.E.T.A.!!

No seriously it has.

comrade
27-04-2009, 11:07 PM
The time has come.

G.E.T.A.!!

No seriously it has.

I'll buy a tee shirt...

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 11:32 PM

Hey, I agree... just a little sarcasm there, gone wrong! i used the wrong smiley!... I've not been thrilled with Eagle's form of late, but I like him...

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't think we kept him on the list because we felt too sorry for him, I am just saying it's easier to be loyal to your side when other sides don't want you.

I think it's human nature to want to be loyal to a long-time employer... regardless of how you're perceived by others...

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Oh I agree...I thought this forum was for expressing opinions. I had no idea we'd need to censor them for some sensitive participants. The reality is, none of us are part of the coaching staff and it's nice to be able to express our frustrations here but also our acknowledgements. For example, I think we would've benefited yesterday with Eagleton showing more of a Higgins' style effort. And Josh Hill, who previously I thought had a few average games, was brilliant. I am not dissing the club but I also don't agree with putting a player on a pedestal when they don't deserve to be there. I certainly don't think Eagleton is doing his best. If i'm wrong, and that pathetic effort is his best...then I can only hope he is dropped indefinitely.

Agree on the expression of opinion. For example, I disagree that Hill was "brilliant". I thought he did a few good things, shows great potential. But I thought he's actually been better in previous games.

There, that didn't hurt...:)

Stefcep
27-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Hahaha.

No but i think he's a guy who focused on his physical fitness/stamina, generally that's what he's renowned for. Plenty of players have had to do extra work on an area of their game thats been a weakness. Just saying that he's kicking ought to be his first priority on the training track. Its strange that if thats what he's already focusing on that there's been no improvement.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 11:54 PM

Sorry to fan any flames that remain from this ongoing war of words, but I had to comment on your claim that the site wasn't "set up for the expression of opinions"....What the???? Most of the threads here are opinion-based. There are obviously some here who have/have had direct ties to the club.It's terrific to have them here, the interesting views are one reason I joined in the first place. But I'm sure most here, like myself, are just the average punter who loves the DOGS... If we can't express our views, what's the point of a thread like " Ins and Outs"... I have only the available stats, and my observations to go on!
Yes, we need to be respectful, and some posts have strayed a little from this. I've been on the end of a few myself! But to say that an opinion "will only be accepted" if backed by logical argument and something to back it up - well, to me that's a bit heavy-handed.

Stefcep
28-04-2009, 12:13 AM

OK not having a go at you here, but if we were the ONLY club in the AFL that would've wanted Eagleton over 9 years, then what you are saying is that our team list selectors are the worst in the AFL coz they're the only ones stupid enough to want him. i don't buy that.

We have de-listed a lot of players in the nine years he's been there, so we're not afraid to let players go. If we didn't want him, he would've been picked up by someone else. Afterall, he'd played 50 AFL games before he was 21 at Port.

Eagleton was drafted by us because he's quick over 25-40 meters, he can pass by foot accurately and he can kick long, especially on the run, he's generally got good balance and a clean pair of hands. All qualities a good winger needs. Yes, he's an outside player, no he won't win as many hard ball contests, but that's not what he was in the side for.

FWIW I think we've been too harsh on these outside players. Look at Eade with his KPI's like hard ball gets and tackles, yet we got hammered. Thats coz we also need the players that can kick to a target and finish from about 45-55 out.

alwaysadog
28-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Sorry to fan any flames that remain from this ongoing war of words, but I had to comment on your claim that the site wasn't "set up for the expression of opinions"....What the???? Most of the threads here are opinion-based. There are obviously some here who have/have had direct ties to the club.It's terrific to have them here, the interesting views are one reason I joined in the first place. But I'm sure most here, like myself, are just the average punter who loves the DOGS... If we can't express our views, what's the point of a thread like " Ins and Outs"... I have only the available stats, and my observations to go on!
Yes, we need to be respectful, and some posts have strayed a little from this. I've been on the end of a few myself! But to say that an opinion "will only be accepted" if backed by logical argument and something to back it up - well, to me that's a bit heavy-handed.

No fanning of flames that I can detect. You make some very good points and you clearly discuss in the way I sugested, you argue and you back it up, you pick apart my propositions and you rebut them.

Most people here respect that and you should know that such contributions are valued even if one disagrees, though in this case I don't think we do I think it's about the way words are used.

As for the contentious matter of opinion, it is a word that is used in many ways. I was arguing against its use in a narrow way and distingushing it from discusiion, like the sort we are having now.

The narrow interpretation of opinion is typified by those who regard anything they think is their opinion and because they are entitled to their point of view they assert that no matter what they are entitled to express it and they don't particularly care if they demean or offend. This form of opinion is hard to distinguish from prejudice. This is not only boring to read but it brings down the level of interaction between posters.

But the way you are using implies what I am saying. It's about enabling others to understand why you hold the positions you do and what they are based on and doing this in a spirit which encourages others to engage. It's not about winning the argument, it's about exploring the issues in respectful ways and enjoying the interaction about something we all love.

One does not need to have inside information one has the evidence of ones eyes, that is all we usually have. Occasionally some opportunities arise to get some inside info but those with that capacity are in a minority.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2009, 06:42 PM
The coach was very happy with Nathan's shut down job on Nick Stevens on the weekend. Wasn't his initial task, but when Stevens started to get a hold of it early on, Nathan was assigned to lock him down.

comrade
28-04-2009, 06:44 PM
The coach was very happy with Nathan's shut down job on Nick Stevens on the weekend. Wasn't his initial task, but when Stevens started to get a hold of it early on, Nathan was assigned to lock him down.

I'm sure Mantis is delighted to hear that.

ledge
28-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I think Eagle is having a good year so far.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm sure Mantis is delighted to hear that.

Already exchanged PM's with him. He's not!

Mantis
28-04-2009, 07:07 PM

It was a crucial role cutting out Stevens wasn't it?? How about giving him a task like trying to curb the influence of Murphy or Gibbs or Simpson as they were the player's who were killing us.

By my reckoning Eagleton moved onto Stevens during the 3rd qtr. The stat sheet says that Stevens got 12 possesions and I can remember from the tape that he got atleast 3 or 4 touches on Eagleton. Those 8 or 9 touches Nick got when opposed to 'player X' must have been extremely damaging as I didn't really notice that he was getting out of the loop, as they say.

I think I am wasting my time anyway and I better get used to watching the bald one in action for the rest of this season at the very least... F***ing great.:rolleyes:

alwaysadog
28-04-2009, 08:57 PM

TCD what are you trying to do? The knives are out, retribution is nigh and you try to spoil the fun with reality.

There seem to be two sorts of minds the open and the closed. We lost so all prejudices get aired. Nothing will change that; facts are useless in the face of angst.

It seems to me its more a question of being able to control one's emotions, not an easy ask when football is a very emotional game. Still in the long run over emotional responses are tiring and in the end calm thought wins out. So strength to your arm.

Mofra
28-04-2009, 08:59 PM
It was a crucial role cutting out Stevens wasn't it?? How about giving him a task like trying to curb the influence of Murphy or Gibbs or Simpson as they were the player's who were killing us.
You're right Mantis, if only we had 4 or 5 Eagletons :D

alwaysadog
28-04-2009, 09:01 PM

By my reckoning Eagleton moved onto Stevens during the 3rd qtr. The stat sheet says that Stevens got 12 possesions and I can remember from the tape that he got atleast 3 or 4 touches on Eagleton. Those 8 or 9 touches Nick got when opposed to 'player X' must have been extremely damaging as I didn't really notice that he was getting out of the loop, as they say.

I think I am wasting my time anyway and I better get used to watching the bald one in action for the rest of this season at the very least... F***ing great.:rolleyes:

Now exactly what is the problem? Is Eagleton expected to coach the side as well? No his job is to do what the coach asks him to. If you've got problems with that then Eagleton is not the cause of your problem, unless you've created one..:rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
28-04-2009, 09:03 PM
You're right Mantis, if only we had 4 or 5 Eagletons :D

Nice one Mofra, I just pictured Mantis reading that & vomiting all over his computer! :D

LostDoggy
28-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Face it guys, Mantis has a Hate Child and his name is Eagleton. No matter what Eagleton does, Mantis will find some stat, some action to point out how crap Eagleton is. No point arguing with someone when he's made up his mind.

Mantis
28-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Now exactly what is the problem? Is Eagleton expected to coach the side as well? No his job is to do what the coach asks him to. If you've got problems with that then Eagleton is not the cause of your problem, unless you've created one..:rolleyes:

My problem is that it feels like Eagletons position in the team is being justified by his ability to curb the influence of one of the biggest cats in the competition. The role I see Eagleton fulfilling is one of an 'outside' wingman who runs & carries the ball and delivers long and crisp passes to our forwards. We are seriously lacking players who can kick the ball and Eagleton should be one player who is helping in that area. To now say that he is a hard tackling run with player is a fair dinkum cop out.

As you should know this is an area I feel very strongly about so am more than happy to have a long-winded debate with you on the subject at hand, I just hope my emotions don't get in the way of my opinons.

Mantis
28-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Face it guys, Mantis has a Hate Child and his name is Eagleton. No matter what Eagleton does, Mantis will find some stat, some action to point out how crap Eagleton is. No point arguing with someone when he's made up his mind.

You don't know me very well do you Dex.

At the start of the season I was more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Read post #24 in this thread and you can see that I was not unhappy with his performances. His last 2 have been poor, but I feel he is one player who will not come under pressure to keep his spot while the young players will churn through the side like they are stuck in a revolving door.

LostDoggy
28-04-2009, 10:08 PM
No I don't know you well, all I know is that you don't like Eagleton and you want him dropped.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2009, 10:12 PM
You don't know me very well do you Dex.

At the start of the season I was more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Read post #24 in this thread and you can see that I was not unhappy with his performances. His last 2 have been poor, but I feel he is one player who will not come under pressure to keep his spot while the young players will churn through the side like they are stuck in a revolving door.
If it makes you feel any better Mantis, we can keep him pretty well for free on the vet's list next year.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2009, 10:32 PM
If it makes you feel any better Mantis, we can keep him pretty well for free on the vet's list next year.

Somehow I don't think that will appease Mantis, funny though! :D

Stevo
28-04-2009, 11:27 PM

Yes he has become predictable, obsessive and downright boring with this ongoing matinee and grandstanding. Rather than outing the coach for selecting him he'll take the easy road and pick apart the player. Most of us are seeing through it but some are just following the leader and even loading the gun for him.
At the end of the day he won't sway my opinion.

bornadog
29-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Did a good job on Stevens and shut him out of the game.

Mantis
29-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Sorry to all for my persistent de-grading of Eagleton's performances. I will heed the advice of posters who opinions I respect and stop posting on this player as I get the feeling my views and posts are becoming tiresome.

Lets hope that the team performs well this week and that Nathan performs his role in the team at such level that is satisfactory to all.

Cheers

Mantis.

bornadog
29-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Sorry to all for my persistent de-grading of Eagleton's performances. I will heed the advice of posters who opinions I respect and stop posting on this player as I get the feeling my views and posts are becoming tiresome.

Lets hope that the team performs well this week and that Nathan performs his role in the team at such level that is satisfactory to all.

Cheers

Mantis.

Well done Mantis.

Rance Fan
29-04-2009, 09:37 AM

Agreed, as i mentioned previously

Mofra
29-04-2009, 11:04 AM
To now say that he is a hard tackling run with player is a fair dinkum cop out.
IIRC he led our tackles 3 weeks ago with 9.

The Coon Dog
29-04-2009, 11:58 AM
IIRC he led our tackles 3 weeks ago with 9.

I reckon you're right, he did have 9 tackles. I really wish he did that more often though. I guess alot of it is about being around the ball, look at ANZAC Day, Paddy Ryder had heaps of tackles & he's not normally known for that.

Mofra
29-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I reckon you're right, he did have 9 tackles. I really wish he did that more often though. I guess alot of it is about being around the ball, look at ANZAC Day, Paddy Ryder had heaps of tackles & he's not normally known for that.
Two examples of players adding another string to their bow, especially pertinent with Eagle being an older player changing his style of play. It's never too late to learn.

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 12:49 PM
my view: I've read this thread & some of the comments directed at Eagleton are quite unsavoury. He's respected heavily within the Bulldog ranks & the scrutiny he has been placed under here is completely different to how he is thought of at Whitten Oval. He will not be dropped at a whim as he does the job asked of him each week.

Cyberdoggie
29-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Cheers

Mantis.

I can't believe it's just me and you against everyone else on this issue.

I find it ironic that someone can have so many threads about him.

You get the "Eagle is rubbish" threads, and the "Eagle is great" threads. People will love or hate him, so i ask why?

We don't go debating whether players like Cross, Griffen, Boyd, Gilbee are great or awful, but for some reason Eagle's name keeps coming up.

To me this is basically because he is so inconsistent. There is such a divide between his best and his worst, and that is why he is a hot topic. Some will love his good stuff and forgive his bad, others like me and Mantis cannot forgive the rubbish he serves up, even after a few good highlights.

I think his negative's far exceed his positive's and i cannot see why such a player can continue in the side when there may be others that can perform better.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2009, 01:49 PM
my view: I've read this thread & some of the comments directed at Eagleton are quite unsavoury. He's respected heavily within the Bulldog ranks & the scrutiny he has been placed under here is completely different to how he is thought of at Whitten Oval. He will not be dropped at a whim as he does the job asked of him each week.
Thanks CD for your input. It's good to have strong support, in supporting Nathan.

Some (newer) members might start to pay particular attention to CD if you read the authority with which the post speaks.

This thread was designed to acknowledge the improvement and good things he was doing this year.

Mofra
29-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I can't believe it's just me and you against everyone else on this issue.

I find it ironic that someone can have so many threads about him.

You get the "Eagle is rubbish" threads, and the "Eagle is great" threads. People will love or hate him, so i ask why?

We don't go debating whether players like Cross, Griffen, Boyd, Gilbee are great or awful, but for some reason Eagle's name keeps coming up.

To me this is basically because he is so inconsistent. There is such a divide between his best and his worst, and that is why he is a hot topic. Some will love his good stuff and forgive his bad, others like me and Mantis cannot forgive the rubbish he serves up, even after a few good highlights.

I think his negative's far exceed his positive's and i cannot see why such a player can continue in the side when there may be others that can perform better.
CD, I would expect that there are two main reasons for this:

a. He is scrutinised far more harshly than any other player on the list, simply because his first season did not match his reputation. A player's first season reputation tends to follow them for the rest of their career, justified or not. I would expect some of the consternation comes from the fact that few players could survive the scrutiny that Nathan is placed under with their reputation intact.

b. Which player that is not currently in the side could perform better? I can't see one, without knowing how an untried player will perform at AFL level.

Sedat
29-04-2009, 03:09 PM
a. He is scrutinised far more harshly than any other player on the list, simply because his first season did not match his reputation. A player's first season reputation tends to follow them for the rest of their career, justified or not. I would expect some of the consternation comes from the fact that few players could survive the scrutiny that Nathan is placed under with their reputation intact.

b. Which player that is not currently in the side could perform better? I can't see one, without knowing how an untried player will perform at AFL level.
Mofra, just a slight correction - Eagle first came to the club in 2000 and was actually OK in his first season. He then followed up in 2001 and 2002 with poor seasons (noteworthy exception was in one game against the Cats at the Dome when he kicked 7 goals from full forward, as one of the dozen or so short-arse midfielders used by Wallace as full forwards at some point in his coaching career - sorry I digress), and there came a point halfway through season 2003 that he was destined for football oblivion until the penny finally dropped and he turned it all around in the 2nd half of that miserable year. Since 2004, he has frequently wavered from excellent to very poor.

But the one constant with Eagle throughout his career is that he hasn't been able to deliver any standout performances in the really important games. He isn't the lone ranger by any stretch on that front, but for a player getting close to 250 career games, this is the one glaring omission from the Eagleton CV. There's no denying he has had a very solid AFL career but it has probably fallen short of fan expectations unfairly or otherwise.

Unfortunately for Eagle, his arrival at the club came at the expense of 2 much-loved former Dogs in Powell and Montgomery - not to mention the perception that it was outside flash replacing inside grunt. I reckon from day one, Eagle has been up against it to fully win over the Bulldog faithful as a result.

Seeing as this thread is about the Eagle in 2009, he has been genuinely poor in only 1 out of the 5 games, and would probably be top 10 in the B&F count to date - he's ranged from good to excellent in the other 4 games so credit to him so far in season 2009. There are plenty of poorer performing players out of our experienced group in 2009 than Eagleton.

ledge
29-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Another way of looking at it is.. Powell and Monty havent played 250 games and are gone now by a few years, Eagle is still going about, thats got to mean something to his credit.
I liked both Monty and Powell but long term Eagle will probably go down as the better player as he has lasted a lot longer time.

Mofra
29-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately for Eagle, his arrival at the club came at the expense of 2 much-loved former Dogs in Powell and Montgomery - not to mention the perception that it was outside flash replacing inside grunt. I reckon from day one, Eagle has been up against it to fully win over the Bulldog faithful as a result.

Cheers for correction, I believe this point you raised is a very good one - if a team needs to give up too much to obtain a player, they will be marked more harshly. Jonathan Hay would be a prime example, perhaps Ottens in his first year at the Cats.

Mofra
29-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Another way of looking at it is.. Powell and Monty havent played 250 games and are gone now by a few years, Eagle is still going about, thats got to mean something to his credit.
I liked both Monty and Powell but long term Eagle will probably go down as the better player as he has lasted a lot longer time.
Might be debatable on the Monty front; premiership aside, he did snag an AA jumper one year didn't he?

Sedat
29-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Might be debatable on the Monty front; premiership aside, he did snag an AA jumper one year didn't he?
Was B&F one year for Port as well. He ended up having a stellar career at Alberton, which IMO is comfortably ahead of Eagle's career at the Dogs - but Eagle still has time on his side to reduce the difference. A solid contribution by the Eagle to a premiership in 2009 will just about square the ledger.

AndrewP6
29-04-2009, 11:43 PM

Cheers

Mantis.

Well said Mantis...

Rance Fan
03-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Time to get the Bald Eagle chat going....

I thought that he tried hard today, but we need him to give us some more attsck. That is more kicks into forward 50 and goals. Basicallly more of what hes good at!
But like most of the team is he and they doing enough?

The kick across goals to Reiwoldt in 1st and the hanball on wing to Aker later on when he had 2 players on him was the low light

Highlight - 1st goal,- good strength and finish

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Time to get the Bald Eagle chat going....

I thought that he tried hard today, but we need him to give us some more attsck. That is more kicks into forward 50 and goals. Basicallly more of what hes good at!
But like most of the team is he and they doing enough?

The kick across goals to Reiwoldt in 1st and the hanball on wing to Aker later on when he had 2 players on him was the low light

Highlight - 1st goal,- good strength and finish
Agree would love more from him. Problem for the club is, there are bigger and more important passengers who are performing even less.

Take his leg speed away, who is the next fastest across the ground at the moment (conisdering some players are coming back from injury). We could do with an extra outside runner at the moment.

Mantis
03-05-2009, 10:51 PM
We know the club love him and he will be selected. So lets go with that assumption for this week.

I agree playing forward is not ideal.

What about playing him loose man in defense ala Gilbee/Hodge (By no way am i suggesting he is as good as them). But if he can run, break lines and hit targets, occasionally get down for a shot and release Gilbe downfield.

What are your thoughts. I can't ever really recall using him like that. Otherwise how would you use him, again knowing that despite much opinion, he will be selected next week?

I have taken GVG's advice and moved this discussion to the appropriate thread.

I really don't know what role he can fill. His field kicking is poor... I'm not making that up either... It is. I am racking my brain to find out what he adds to the side and I don't know. Maybe his tackling... as I have been told he's a good tackler.

He spent all his time in the forwardline hanging out the side of packs or in front of packs waiting for the easy goal or possession. He was out of position when the ball went the other way so didn't give much (if any) forward pressure.

As I have previously stated it looks like it's going to be a tough year for one of the only passionate supporters of the Bulldogs who is absolutely miffed at what value Eagleton adds to the team.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 10:59 PM

I really don't know what role he can fill. His field kicking is poor... I'm not making that up either... It is. I am racking my brain to find out what he adds to the side and I don't know. Maybe his tackling... as I have been told he's a good tackler.

He spent all his time in the forwardline hanging out the side of packs or in front of packs waiting for the easy goal or possession. He was out of position when the ball went the other way so didn't give much (if any) forward pressure.

As I have previously stated it looks like it's going to be a tough year for one of the only passionate supporters of the Bulldogs who is absolutely miffed at what value Eagleton adds to the team.
Do you think he can fill the role as mentioned above?

I for one dont begrudge you. My players i've supported over the past few years were Streety, Sam Power (my favourite ever player) and our full forward Tim. I also had a fling of interest in Jessse Wells for 3 seconds too. Nothing silly like Doogs Drougs or the like though :)

hujsh
03-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't know what he adds to the team anymore.

Rocket Science
03-05-2009, 11:03 PM
He was rolled gold crap today. For his few contributions he was AWOL too often, and variously cost us when he wasn't. Comfortably his worst game this season.

Suppose one should sugarcoat that by saying he had 21 mates.

Mantis
03-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Do you think he can fill the role as mentioned above?

No.

He isn't courageous in the air like Hodge.

He doesn't kick as well as Gilbee or Hodge.

Seriously I don't think we should be trying to re-create a role for a 30 yo player who has lost most of his 2 biggest weapons - pace & long accurate kicking.

Let Easton Wood or Brennan Stack have a go at the role you described.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 11:05 PM
He was rolled gold crap today. For his few contributions he was AWOL too often, and variously cost us when he wasn't. Comfortably his worst game this season.

Suppose one should sugarcoat that by saying he had 21 mates.
I agree there are lots of passengers. But in times past the argumen was use Farren or Jordy to run the lines in his place. Who have we got ready to offer more than what he offers for the job Eade beleives he does very well.

That and he always seems to be first mentioned. I think there are bigger names who should be looked at for a road trip to Frankston.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 11:08 PM
No.

He isn't courageous in the air like Hodge.

He doesn't kick as well as Gilbee or Hodge.

Seriously I don't think we should be trying to re-create a role for a 30 yo player who has lost most of his 2 biggest weapons - pace & long accurate kicking.

Let Easton Wood or Brennan Stack have a go at the role you described.
Ok. Does Wood have the body and does Stack have the aerobic capacity. I'd say no.

As per another thread i'd love to see what Stack can do, i think he is one of these players that lifts with the comp. But pound for pound, i fail to see who can replace him.

Then the neext loaded question is: He is on the Vets list if we want him. Do we go a rookie or keep him? - This is the real emotionaless answer i'm after.

Mantis
03-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Ok. Does Wood have the body and does Stack have the aerobic capacity. I'd say no.

As per another thread i'd love to see what Stack can do, i think he is one of these players that lifts with the comp. But pound for pound, i fail to see who can replace him.

Then the neext loaded question is: He is on the Vets list if we want him. Do we go a rookie or keep him? - This is the real emotionaless answer i'm after.

Eagleton's aerobic capacity based on todays performance is pretty poor. As I have stated I watched him extremely closely today and he was unable to sustain repeated chasing efforts. He seemed to be just jogging on most occassions and seemed to lack the acceleration he once had.

Wood's body is a little slight, but not slight enough to suggest he is unsuitable for AFL footy.

Finally my views on Eagleton are well known so I you're probably giving the loaded gun to the wrong person.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Eagleton's aerobic capacity based on todays performance is pretty poor. As I have stated I watched him extremely closely today and he was unable to sustain repeated chasing efforts. He seemed to be just jogging on most occassions and seemed to lack the acceleration he once had.

Wood's body is a little slight, but not slight enough to suggest he is unsuitable for AFL footy.

Finally my views on Eagleton are well known so I you're probably giving the loaded gun to the wrong person.
No. I have found in life surrounding those or communicating with those who only support your point of view is the surest way of maintaining a strong sense of ignorance. Your opinions are based on what you beleive are fact and well supported. I say good criticism and that if he is not playing the role the coaches want than he should watch out. I on the other hand think there is something left in his tank i'm not sure about 2010. But if the draft is shallow i would prefer him on the Vet's list than a rookie.

The Underdog
03-05-2009, 11:35 PM

His kicking has gone from a strength to being very poor. He can't hit a target and when going long he get's under the ball which ends up as just a contest in the forward 50 rather than a kick to advantage. His only decent piece of play today was his use of the body to create our first goal. as we all know he can't handball for shit and his decision making is average at best.
I'd be more than happy to play Reid, O'Keefe, Stack or any other young'un and give them experience over playing Eagle who should by all right's be delisted at the end of the year. All they have to do is create a contest and run hard to match what he is currently doing inconsistently.

Mofra
04-05-2009, 11:10 AM
His kicking yesterday (apart from a few good examples) was almost Sam Power like - accurate however they had far too much hang time, allowing the opposition to challenge. He had two serious clangers, and two pieces of brilliant play which cancelled them out (first goal, and I think in the 4th when he had 3 handballs in a row to release Griffen for a run down the wing).

The problem is we don't have anyone who plays his role seriously challenging at Willy - Ward played well by all accounts but is an inside mid, Reid is seriously inside, Stack is inconsistent, Guy O'Keefe is close but Rocket isn't a massive fan by all accounts as he needs to improve his endurance. If Wood wants to press for a spot, Eagle is the logical choice, but the reports indicate he is not quite ready yet.

Hill could play on the wing except he has been our most dangerous forward so far this season and being behind only Lake in marking ability, we need him forward more often than not.

I would expect if anyone is under pressure, it'd be Addison anyway. I'm an unashamed fan of his hardness & endeavour, but he simply isn't getting enough of the ball at the moment, and both Reid & Ward could feasibly take his spot.

Ozza
04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Dreadful again. Am staggered that he keeps getting a game.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Why then continue to go on and on about it, give it a rest you sound like a broken record.

Mantis
04-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Why then continue to go on and on about it, give it a rest you sound like a broken record.

I'm not. I was asked specific questions by another poster (42-C-3) in discussion's last night. I believe I was both fair & reasonable with my responses.

Sure I have at times gone overboard, but I don't think this was the case last night.

mighty_west
04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
As much as a supporter of the Bald one i have been, i wouldn't mind him given a few games at Willy, bring in O'Keefe, also a small left footed goal kicking mid who is in good form, and deserves his chance.

Like a few players, Eagle just seems to be going through the motions at the moment.

soupman
04-05-2009, 03:20 PM
As much as a supporter of the Bald one i have been, i wouldn't mind him given a few games at Willy, bring in O'Keefe, also a small left footed goal kicking mid who is in good form, and deserves his chance.

Like a few players, Eagle just seems to be going through the motions at the moment.

I'm definitely warming to this idea. While I'm not typically as critical of Eagletons performances as some on here, it is getting to the point where I'm not sure he offers much more than an O'Keefe, and considering O'Keefe would be liekly to get better over the season, and eagleton probably worse, I know who I'd be picking.

Mofra
04-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm definitely warming to this idea. While I'm not typically as critical of Eagletons performances as some on here, it is getting to the point where I'm not sure he offers much more than an O'Keefe, and considering O'Keefe would be liekly to get better over the season, and eagleton probably worse, I know who I'd be picking.
I suspect if O'Keefe had played particularly well last weekend he'd be a realistic chance. By the sounds of it, Ward will come in first.

Rance Fan
06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Whats the idea playing Eagleton up forward?
Is it he is no longer up to playing on the wing?
Wasnt he tagging the other week?
Now looks like they are hiding him in the forward pocket.
Is the next step the VFL or does it depend on how the teams going or who we play against??

bulldogtragic
06-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Whats the idea playing Eagleton up forward?
Is it he is no longer up to playing on the wing?
Wasnt he tagging the other week?
Now looks like they are hiding him in the forward pocket.
Is the next step the VFL or does it depend on how the teams going or who we play against??
Interesting questions.

I think it must be who we are playing against. I fully take CD's word re: the respect internally for Nathan.

Will be very interesting to see where he gets in against Adelaide.

MrMahatma
06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I think of all the changes that are mooted, swapping him with O'Keefe could be a good positive for the team. Eagle had some bad turn overs on the weekend, and really, as a senior player, it's not good enough.

Would rather see a senior player punished for a poor performance than a young kid dropped IE Grant, for having a quiet game.

Stefcep
07-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Take his leg speed away, who is the next fastest across the ground at the moment (conisdering some players are coming back from injury). We could do with an extra outside runner at the moment.

how about Farren Ray? Oh , wait a minute...

this brings up an important point: You can admire the "inside" players who win the hard ball all you like, but its the outside players that do the damage on the scoreboard. IMHO we have a culture of valuing inside players more than the "outside" players, whereas the top teams have an even complement of both.

Stefcep
07-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I think of all the changes that are mooted, swapping him with O'Keefe could be a good positive for the team. Eagle had some bad turn overs on the weekend, and really, as a senior player, it's not good enough.

Would rather see a senior player punished for a poor performance than a young kid dropped IE Grant, for having a quiet game.

what about Johnno's peformances this year? Would he still be in the side if he wasn't Brad Johnson, 300-gamer and all?

LostDoggy
07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
how about Farren Ray? Oh , wait a minute...

this brings up an important point: You can admire the "inside" players who win the hard ball all you like, but its the outside players that do the damage on the scoreboard. IMHO we have a culture of valuing inside players more than the "outside" players, whereas the top teams have an even complement of both.

That's a short-term memory. No less than a year and a half ago we were criticised for having too many front-running outside light-bodies (Ray, McMahon, Power, Eagleton, Murphy) with no grunt inside, and Scott Clayton was criticised for going with lighter bodied players instead of harder bodied ones, as we were swatted aside by bigger bodied teams (West Coast, Sydney, Adelaide).

So an increased emphasis on winning the hard ball means that now we have a culture of valuing inside players more than outside players? Since when?

I would think we've got the mix in the middle right -- as long as our better ball users (Cooney, Griff, Gia, Murph, Gilbee) start getting the ball again and using it better, which will come with increased fitness (for Cooney and Murphy), which is the issue, not the lack of skill.

And since when did Ray or McMahon ever create any consistent damage on any scoreboard (apart from one or two isolated games) anyway?

Rocket Science
07-05-2009, 02:00 PM
And since when did Ray or McMahon ever create any consistent damage on any scoreboard (apart from one or two isolated games) anyway?

Oh, they created plenty of scoreboard damage, if I recall correctly.

LostDoggy
07-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh, they created plenty of scoreboard damage, if I recall correctly.

Haha, that's true. Damaged us plenty.

bornadog
08-05-2009, 04:53 PM

I see McMahon dropped again this week as is Power. Ray will be next;)

Mofra
08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I see McMahon dropped again this week as is Power. Ray will be next;)
Not sure Ray will be dropped, and I always thought Power was at least a nice guy off the field, but the McMahon decision makes me smile.

I will enjoy watching Ward in years to come with a couple of pre-seasons under his belt. This was one of our best trade wins ever I believe.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
I was a very keen Sam Power backed, he did not get enough respecty for mine.

Rocket Science
09-05-2009, 01:52 AM
I was a very keen Sam Power backed, he did not get enough respecty for mine.

No contributy...no respecty.

Lovely bloke or not, Sam was a classic list-clogger.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2009, 11:42 AM
No contributy...no respecty.

Lovely bloke or not, Sam was a classic list-clogger.
I disagree. Completey.

Somewhere between a young 17yo that will win 3 brownlows and be a super start on potential alone and proven nothing - throught to - proven outright 300 game superstar-

You need solid performers in the middle. Good ordinary footballers, nothing special, can't run like Cooney, kick like Gilbee or goal like Johno- but put in. I think it was 06 ot 07 we won every game with Sam in the team and lost every game when he wasn;t in the team. It was an amazing stat!

His kicking is quite good, the hang time on his kicks can be bad, but they are generaly effective. His hands are as quick as i've seen, but his decision making is the issue where fans slaughtered him, and rightfully so on occasion. But you need lots of these players betwen umproven potential machines and superstars. Sam Power is a classic case and suffered for his brothers reputation and draft selection.

Moving was the best thing for him, although North fans are quite similar in that they want Wells or Hansens or Boomer Harvey'sot mid range players taht do a job. But i would have gladly kept him on the list here. He was neer given enough credit and was scapegoated after Harrison and KMac left. Then Ray and Eagle have taken over as scapegoat.

To the point of list clogging, i think Wight this year is a classic example. I think Sam Power offers many more varities of position and flexibility to his game to warrant pushing for selection in the current bulldogs top 26 players. Power wasn't going nowhere, his game was staggnating and his development stagnating as his 'supporters' turned on him after they decided "well since KMAC is gone, some new individual must be responsible for every loss". The stats tell the story particulrly 06 or 07 - Sam Powers inclusion was the common thread to us winning and his missing with injuries was when we lost.

My point he is, was and will always be underrated here and by North people, and thats that. No skin off my nose. I just hate how we keep picking a new scapegoat no-matter what. If the Eagle retires this year, i'm not sure who we will turn on?

LostDoggy
09-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Guido has always been a target.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Guido has always been a target.
I've got a very bad feeling you are right.

soupman
09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Not to mention Minson. He typifies the 20 games rule. Before his 20th game, he was the cult figure and everyone's second favourite player, every time he stuffed up we wouldn't be angry, we'd just laugh it off and go "Oh Will, what were you thinking you silly bugger".

Since his 20th game (or 2007, whichever came first) many have fallen off the bandwagon, and Isuspect that when Eagleton does finish up Will will take the mantle of team scapegoat.

hujsh
10-05-2009, 07:43 PM
just changing it back to the thumbs up for this week.

AndrewP6
10-05-2009, 07:47 PM
just changing it back to the thumbs up for this week.

The way some poster here go, they'll be creating a T-shirt for Eagle soon! ;)

hujsh
10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
The way some poster here go, they'll be creating a T-shirt for Eagle soon! ;)

Mantis already tried that. Although it wasn't quite so positive.

The Coon Dog
10-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I thought the Bald Eagle was terrific today. He was prepared to run into space to create an option for his team mates. The old story, but if he plays like that every week he won't be criticised, even from Mantis!

Rance Fan
10-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Eagle played well today, Hope he continues to back it up, be it in a winning or losing side.

Mofra
10-05-2009, 09:37 PM
He was definately one of our best today. Good to see some of the senior guys imrpoving.

boydogs
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
This will scare some of you to even think about, but has he become our barometer? Started the season well in our 3 wins, had some poor games in our losses, then played a major part in our resurgence today. Or, is it more about the delivery to him and blocking to enable him to be damaging?

LostDoggy
10-05-2009, 11:46 PM
He was fantastic today, great to see the long bimb on the run at half time.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by bulldogtragic
We know the club love him and he will be selected. So lets go with that assumption for this week.

I agree playing forward is not ideal.

What about playing him loose man in defense ala Gilbee/Hodge (By no way am i suggesting he is as good as them). But if he can run, break lines and hit targets, occasionally get down for a shot and release Gilbe downfield.

What are your thoughts. I can't ever really recall using him like that. Otherwise how would you use him, again knowing that despite much opinion, he will be selected next week?

----

Eagleton down back, 29 touches, 2 goals running from HBF.

----

Classis piece of commmentary that. Certainly in line for WOOF classic commentary competition for 2009. With flights to Tassie on Plummet Airways, and then taking the car with a reggae tape and an esky, all the beer you want, VB, Tooheys, XXXX and a little cascade.

Happy with the call and game. Great stuff Nathan.

Ozza
11-05-2009, 11:45 AM
No doubts Eagleton was very very good today.

Its the next 3-4 weeks that usually frustrates everyone.

Desipura
11-05-2009, 12:15 PM
who was on Eagle yesterday? Seem to be on his own all day.

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 12:19 PM
He was OK yesterday, not terrific. He did what any player with his experience against young (or non-existent) opposition should have, and that's punish them. Consistency is all I want from Mr. Eagleton for the rest of the year.

The Coon Dog
11-05-2009, 12:22 PM
He was OK yesterday, not terrific.

He was terrific yesterday, much better than OK!

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 01:08 PM
He was terrific yesterday, much better than OK!

He was.

Interesting stat was that he was the only Dogs player in the 22 to NOT lay a tackle. This is an interesting contrast to his previous weeks where he was laying plenty of tackles but his kicking and penetration was well down.

A clear change of heart/mind from Rocket about Eagle's role yesterday? He is definitely best value outside where he can hurt teams with some longer and direct kicking, and if his goalkicking stays up there he's good value. Would like to see his goalkicking stay consistent under pressure in a tight game as well.

comrade
11-05-2009, 01:21 PM
He was.

Interesting stat was that he was the only Dogs player in the 22 to NOT lay a tackle. This is an interesting contrast to his previous weeks where he was laying plenty of tackles but his kicking and penetration was well down.

A clear change of heart/mind from Rocket about Eagle's role yesterday? He is definitely best value outside where he can hurt teams with some longer and direct kicking, and if his goalkicking stays up there he's good value. Would like to see his goalkicking stay consistent under pressure in a tight game as well.

Yesterday, he played the role he was born for. Outside, loose, running hard into space. His kicking was long, direct and, best of all, on target. He was genuinely dangerous yesterday and showed that he can be a ‘zone buster’.

I say stick him on a HBF flank for the rest of the year and let him run and kick at will. Opposition teams will then have to put some time into him which means Gilbee might get freed up.

Bulldog4life
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
He was OK yesterday, not terrific. He did what any player with his experience against young (or non-existent) opposition should have, and that's punish them. Consistency is all I want from Mr. Eagleton for the rest of the year.

If you think that he was only OK yesterday unfortunately you must be either biased against him or didn't see the game.:rolleyes:

Stefcep
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Yesterday, he played the role he was born for. Outside, loose, running hard into space. His kicking was long, direct and, best of all, on target. He was genuinely dangerous yesterday and showed that he can be a ‘zone buster’.

Exactly. Too many of his detractors have been going on about why he doesn't win the hard balls say like Cross, or the crunching tackles. Why? Because he's an outside player that has got good ball skills by hand and foot, he can run as fast as anyone we have in the side and yesterday he showed that he can kick the ball 60 metres plus on the run ( two kicks were from outside 50 and flew 3/4 up the posts). Thats what he's born to do, thats why he was drafted all those years ago, play him as he is, not as you want him to be and the guy will be at his best.

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Exactly. Too many of his detractors have been going on about why he doesn't win the hard balls say like Cross, or the crunching tackles. Why? Because he's an outside player that has got good ball skills by hand and foot, he can run as fast as anyone we have in the side and yesterday he showed that he can kick the ball 60 metres plus on the run ( two kicks were from outside 50 and flew 3/4 up the posts). Thats what he's born to do, thats why he was drafted all those years ago, play him as he is, not as you want him to be and the guy will be at his best.

Some have complained about his one-way mentality in the past, but that hasn't been the crux of more recent criticism: as you say, Eagle's role is to kick long and run fast. He hadn't been doing that consistently for well over a season (since Round 3 last year I would say), and played one of the worst games of his career in the Prelim when he needed to step up as a senior player.

His failures then were not his lack of accountability or tackling, they were his bread-and-butter skills like kicking for goal from 40 out in the Prelim, where he missed everything, or having three kicks smothered (one from 5 metres out) a couple of rounds ago. That's when the criticism of Eagle is warranted. To use your phrase, Rocket DID use him 'as he was', but instead of being 'at his best', he came up desperately and disappointingly short, which, for many, as a veteran, meant that his card was marked.

He is a one-trick pony, albeit a very, very important trick that is at a premium in footy these days, which explains why Rocket keeps him in the side, BUT when he doesn't produce, his his value to the team is greatly diminished and his lack of defensive effort is exposed.

ps. All credit to Eagle for backing up this year and working his butt off to prove his worth to the team.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I respect Nathan, and glad the thread gives somewhere to pay homage as he has been playing quite welll in 2009. I'd have him in the higher rated players for 2009 as well.

And with games like yesterdays, and his permissability to the Veterans list next year, i think he will be around for a while yet. He can be a zone buster, long goaler and good player and fas better than the chance of a rookie. If we can gte 2 years out of him on the vets list, that would be 300 games - so i can change my signature.

hujsh
23-05-2009, 09:49 PM
He did rather well against Geelong last night. Does anyone (Mantis?) fell somewhat more positive about having Eagle in the team?

Personally that game has made me feel better about him representing the club in a finals match against the top teams

LostDoggy
23-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I thought Eagle did pretty good last night.

Desipura
23-05-2009, 10:55 PM
He did rather well against Geelong last night. Does anyone (Mantis?) fell somewhat more positive about having Eagle in the team?

Personally that game has made me feel better about him representing the club in a finals match against the top teams
Have to agree.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 12:03 AM
I was worried with his disposal early on but he came back nicely, like a few other lads...

Topdog
24-05-2009, 12:23 AM
I was worried with his disposal early on but he came back nicely, like a few other lads...

Agreed. In the first half I was thinking 'here we go again' but he turned it around very nicely and that goal in the last was magnificent.

LostDoggy
24-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Agreed. In the first half I was thinking 'here we go again' but he turned it around very nicely and that goal in the last was magnificent.

Trademark Eagleton, I feel so confident when he has a shot on the run from distance.

boydogs
24-05-2009, 01:50 AM

He worried me when he was part of a handball chain trying create space, at least once he sold us into trouble. Used outside he was definitely effective and an important component of the side when Cooney and Griffen are being well held

Sedat
24-05-2009, 11:09 AM
That was his best game against genuine quality opposition for at least 4 years - thought he was sensational. It seems as though last year's awful case of stage fright in the prelim has steeled him in 2009 to date.

Mantis
24-05-2009, 01:42 PM
His first half was poor, his second half was very good.

I have no problems with him in the team if he plays at or near his best each and every week.

Mofra
24-05-2009, 04:48 PM
His first half was poor, his second half was very good.
I mentioned this to someone as well, didn't think his first half was up to scratch but his second half was vintage Eagle.

He really does need to play an outside / hard running style of football, at his age you need to play to your strengths and not try to cover your weaknesses.