PDA

View Full Version : Learning curve still steep for Grant

BulldogBelle
14-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Jarrad Grant....

Learning curve still steep for Grant (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/74929/default.aspx)
AFL Website
Jennifer Witham
Tue 14 April, 2009

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are hoping strong performances at VFL level have given top draftee Jarrad Grant the confidence he needs to push into the senior side.

Grant, 19, has kicked nine goals over the past two weeks in Williamstown's practice match wins over North Ballarat and the AIS-AFL Academy.

Seagulls coach Brad Gotch said it was important for Grant to learn how best to use his body on the field before gaining a senior call up.

"He's averaged three or four goals a week, which is good, and hopefully he's getting a bit more confidence together," he said.

"We had the boys up in the super box today watching the game and clearly you can see certain things from behind differently, so it would have been great for his development to watch what was going on in the forward line.

"Things like when to lead, what Will Minson did, how Brad Johnson moved around. I think it was invaluable to his learning."

Grant appeared for the Bulldogs during the NAB Cup/Challenge series, but has failed to crack a home-and-away game after an injury-hit first year.

General manager of football James Fantasia said if the No.5 overall in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft continued to show signs in the seconds, it would be hard to overlook him.

"He's showing improvement and development all the time and that's all we want," he said.

"He hasn't been on our emergency list as yet, but hopefully he gets a run with Williamstown seniors and shows some form from there."

The Seagulls had an easy 102-point win over the Australia under-17 team on Saturday after getting on top of the contest in the second half.

"I said to the players to play in the spirit of the game but the AIS boys came out as hard as anything," Gotch said.

"I think our boys were shocked into a bit of action because at quarter-time, it was about 3.2 to 1.4, so it could have got a bit embarrassing because they were playing good footy.

"Then they just couldn't sustain that intensity and our boys were able to keep going. I was really pleased with how they went."

Gotch said Wayde Skipper and Malcolm Lynch were rested from the practice match, which came in place of Williamstown's round one bye, while Sam Reid and Guy O'Keefe played limited time.

The Seagulls will now play Collingwood in their first official VFL match for the season next weekend.

"They had a good win over Geelong and they had a fair side going around, so I think we'll have our work cut out," Gotch said.

"Our form in the last couple of weeks has been pretty promising so we're hopeful of a good start."

Meanwhile, Fantasia said young ruckman Jordan Roughead was progressing through rehab for a strained shoulder ligament well and would not require surgery. He should be available in two to three weeks

azabob
15-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Jarrad Grant....

Learning curve still steep for Grant (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/74929/default.aspx)
AFL Website
Jennifer Witham
Tue 14 April, 2009

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are hoping strong performances at VFL level have given top draftee Jarrad Grant the confidence he needs to push into the senior side.

Grant, 19, has kicked nine goals over the past two weeks in Williamstown's practice match wins over North Ballarat and the AIS-AFL Academy.

Seagulls coach Brad Gotch said it was important for Grant to learn how best to use his body on the field before gaining a senior call up.

"He's averaged three or four goals a week, which is good, and hopefully he's getting a bit more confidence together," he said.

"We had the boys up in the super box today watching the game and clearly you can see certain things from behind differently, so it would have been great for his development to watch what was going on in the forward line.

"Things like when to lead, what Will Minson did, how Brad Johnson moved around. I think it was invaluable to his learning."
Grant appeared for the Bulldogs during the NAB Cup/Challenge series, but has failed to crack a home-and-away game after an injury-hit first year.

General manager of football James Fantasia said if the No.5 overall in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft continued to show signs in the seconds, it would be hard to overlook him.

"He's showing improvement and development all the time and that's all we want," he said.

"He hasn't been on our emergency list as yet, but hopefully he gets a run with Williamstown seniors and shows some form from there."

The Seagulls had an easy 102-point win over the Australia under-17 team on Saturday after getting on top of the contest in the second half.

"I said to the players to play in the spirit of the game but the AIS boys came out as hard as anything," Gotch said.

"I think our boys were shocked into a bit of action because at quarter-time, it was about 3.2 to 1.4, so it could have got a bit embarrassing because they were playing good footy.

"Then they just couldn't sustain that intensity and our boys were able to keep going. I was really pleased with how they went."

Gotch said Wayde Skipper and Malcolm Lynch were rested from the practice match, which came in place of Williamstown's round one bye, while Sam Reid and Guy O'Keefe played limited time.

The Seagulls will now play Collingwood in their first official VFL match for the season next weekend.

"They had a good win over Geelong and they had a fair side going around, so I think we'll have our work cut out," Gotch said.

"Our form in the last couple of weeks has been pretty promising so we're hopeful of a good start."

Meanwhile, Fantasia said young ruckman Jordan Roughead was progressing through rehab for a strained shoulder ligament well and would not require surgery. He should be available in two to three weeks

This may well be good for his development but are our players the best for him to be watching closely? Should they be taking him to Brisbane games or Carlton games to watch Bradshaw, Brown, Fevola to get a true understanding of how KP play and operate in the forward line?

Desipura
15-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Would not be surprised if he got a game this week.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Fingers crossed, we will need someone with Cooney out and if Murph and Welsh arent ready.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I love hearing stories about this guy, can't wait for the day he runs out for his first senior game.

LostDoggy
17-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Named on extended bench this week...

Mofra
17-04-2009, 04:01 PM
This may well be good for his development but are our players the best for him to be watching closely? Should they be taking him to Brisbane games or Carlton games to watch Bradshaw, Brown, Fevola to get a true understanding of how KP play and operate in the forward line?
They have different game plans. Minson in another article said the Bulldog forwardline set-up is different to other clubs, whereas quick movement in is important and all forwards (even Will) must move quickly to meet the ball. Other clubs might still use a more traditional style of forwardline set-up.