PDA

View Full Version : Round 4 Match Preview: West Coast Eagles V Western Bulldogs

Scraggers
16-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Round 4 Match Preview: West Coast Eagles V Western Bulldogs

Last Time Out

Round 6, 2008
Western Bulldogs 7.3 11.6 19.10 20.14 (134)
West Coast Eagles 4.1 8.3 9.4 11.8 (74)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs: Akermanis 4, Murphy 4, Hahn 2, Cooney 2, Welsh 2, Giansiracusa 2, Eagleton, Wight, Addison, Gilbee
West Coast: C. Jones 3, McKinley 2, Lynch 2, Wirrpanda, Kerr, Braun, Kennedy

BEST
Western Bulldogs: Murphy, Lake, Cooney, Boyd, Cross, Akermanis, Hudson
West Coast: Wirrpanda, Kerr, Cox, Hunter, Embley, C. Jones

Brownlow Votes: 3: D Cross, 2: A Cooney, 1: R Murphy

Other recent games...
Round 17, 2007 Western Bulldogs 9.17 (71) def. by West Coast 24.14 (158)
Round 6, 2007 West Coast 10.17 (77) def. Western Bulldogs 9.8 (62)
Semi Final, 2006 West Coast 16.17 (113) def. Western Bulldogs 5.9 (39)
Round 13, 2006 West Coast 8.16 (64) def. by Western Bulldogs 10.13 (73)

This Year’s Form

West Coast Eagles Vs
Brisbane (Gabba) Loss 86 – 95
Port Adelaide (Subiaco) Win 125 – 75
St. Kilda (Docklands) Loss 64 - 161

Western Bulldogs Vs
Fremantle (Subiaco) Win 157 – 94
North Melbourne (MCG) Win 80 – 65
Richmond (Docklands) Win 110 – 63

Injuries Update

WEST COAST
Tony Notte (knee) - 3 weeks
Nic Naitanui (knee) - 2 weeks
Luke Shuey (groin) - indefinite
Beau Waters (elbow) - season
Beau Wilkes (finger) - available
David Wirrpanda (hamstring) - test

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Adam Cooney (knee) - 1 week
Jarrod Harbrow (hip) - test
Robert Murphy (knee) - test
Chris Ogle (glandular fever) - test
Paul O’Shea (hip) - indefinite
Jordan Roughead (shoulder) - 3 weeks

Key Match – ups
Lake V Lynch
In recent weeks Quinten Lynch has been playing more up-field, even going into the centre for restarts in a ruck-rover style role. On Sunday, I expect him to play deep in attack and I expect Lake to go to him. Last week Lake showed he can be a ‘run-with’ defender, playing on Richardson and keeping him to a few insignificant disposals early. I believe Lake will play the same sort of role against Lynch, particularly if things start going pear-shaped for the Eagles

Hudson V Cox
In my mind there is no doubt, Cox is the best tap-ruckman in the game, and in recent years he has been getting 20-odd possessions to go with it; but these are very cheap possessions (like keepings off in defence in red-time). Hudson showed against Sandilands that there is more to rucking than hitting the ball down to your midfielders … he will need to do that again against Cox at Subiaco.

Cross / Boyd et al. V Kerr / Priddis et al.
Our midfield (minus Cooney) versus their midfield … there will be a lot of ducks and drakes with this game particularly in the midfield. In recent years the Eagles were renowned for their midfield with the likes of Cousins, Judd and Kerr getting first use of the ball from Cox but more importantly using it well. With the departure of Judd and Cousins, the Eagles midfield became exposed, and teams took advantage of that. The Eagles are rebuilding their midfield stock with the likes of Priddis, Selwood, and even Rosa and against Port Adelaide showed the importance of tagging. To me, this is where the game will be won or lost on Sunday.

The X-Factor
The Bulldog running game and Ryan Griffen
In round one, we showed we like the wide open spaces of Subiaco, and we played on at all costs … In the wet against North and at the Docklands against Richmond, we showed we have a game plan to play against the rolling zone; to me, the x-factor of this game will be the Bulldog run … if we can free up players to run (in particular Ryan Griffen) we will break the dominate Eagle midfield wide open

The verdict
This will be a tough one !! The Eagles are always hard to beat at home (case in point Port Adelaide 50 point drubbing), and in recent outings they have had our measure particularly at Subiaco … but in saying all of that, you would think a side who has just been flogged by 100 points is a couple of weeks away from a win.

But that’s where the Eagles are unpredictable. Over in Perth, Woosha is ranting and raving to any media outlet that will listen to him about all players being on warning of being dropped to the magoos, and that careers could end this week for the fringe players … this is obviously a public rev-up for his beleaguered team, but it could be just the spark necessary to kick-start the drive to the finals.

Last time we met in round 6, we handed the Eagles a 60 point lesson … Woosha and Sumich ‘put the driver in the bag’ and said it was season over, they can’t make the finals.

My prediction … Bulldogs by 6 goals … and a very early ‘season over’ for West Coast

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 01:03 AM
shapping up to be a good 1 i just grant can get a game

The Coon Dog
16-04-2009, 07:03 AM

Huh?:eek:

Go_Dogs
16-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Nice work Scraggers. Going to be interesting to see how our younger midfielders step up without Cooney. The younger guys are the guys we need bursting away from the stoppages, so Griffen, Higgins and even Ward will need good weeks. (Speaking of Ward, he chased down Shane Edwards on the weekend - he can't be THAT slow).

I think we just have too many good players who are all contributing at the moment, can't see the Eagles really worrying us. Danger players for me are Cox, Kerr, Hurn and LeCras.

Mantis
16-04-2009, 09:54 AM
I think we just have too many good players who are all contributing at the moment, can't see the Eagles really worrying us. Danger players for me are Cox, Kerr, Hurn and LeCras.

I haven't seen much of the Eagles this year (or even last year to be honest), but have noticed that LeCras is regularly amongst the goals. Is Morris the most likely match-up?

Scraggers
16-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I haven't seen much of the Eagles this year (or even last year to be honest), but have noticed that LeCras is regularly amongst the goals. Is Morris the most likely match-up?

I would have thought that Morris would more likely go to Adam Selwood; the Glove's height and pace is better matched to him.

Tim Callan (if picked) would match up Le Cras very well

Sedat
16-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Going by the first 3 rounds, one thing Woosha and co has embraced wholeheartedly this year compared to recent seasons has been the liberal use of the rolling zone. Woosha really surprised Voss in the first half of week 1 with this set-up and made an arrogant and unprepared Port side look silly in week 2. St Kilda's relentless pressure across the entire ground rendered West Coast's set-up irrelevent - a bit like a more sustained version of what we did to Richmond after qtr time. Without Cousins and Judd in their midfield, they don't have many naturally offensive options there now - the likes of Priddis, Selwood and Stenglein are not offensive line-breakers. Embley comes closest but he is not exactly in the best form of his career.

West Coast will be difficult to beat on their patch this year, and they will come out with genuine intent to rectify their collective reputations after last week's insipid effort. We are a more talented group collectively that they are but we'll need to play with a level of intensity at or near maximum capacity on order to overcome them at Subi. That means intensity at the contests, the stoppages, hard running intensity, and defensive intensity. We do this and we have too much talent across the board but if we don't come in with the right mindset it will be a difficult assignment to overcome.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I would have thought that Morris would more likely go to Adam Selwood; the Glove's height and pace is better matched to him.

Yeah, seems about right to me.

Hansen had a good game earlier in the year too, so we need to be mindful of him, as well as Hunter drifting forward.

If they had a stronger midfield I'd almost be a bit worried as I think their forwards could potentially match up pretty well on our defenders, with McKinley too.

Should be an interesting game. A couple of good young talls for the Eagles to keep an eye out for too in Eric McKenzie and Mitch Brown.

Rocco Jones
16-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Really not so sure about both of your calls.

Adam Selwood is a very good player but he is a stopper. Selwood will probably be following Griffen around all day and I guess we will try to break that tag.

I think LeCras is their most dangerous forward by a mile atm, so I would definitely be starting Morris on him.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I dont know why but think this one will be tough, st kilda did us no favours by pumping them last week. In saying that i think we will get over the line by about 2 goal but hope its 20 goals

Mantis
16-04-2009, 12:37 PM

As with other posters I find these match-ups a little strange.

Morris generally goes to the opposition's most dangerous mid-sized or small (sometimes even tall if players style suits) forward. From the outside you would have to think that this player is LeCras.

Callan doesn't look likely for a call-up with the amount of footy he has missed over the previous weeks being a factor especially when playing on a big ground like Subiaco.

lemmon
16-04-2009, 01:05 PM

Yep Morris would go to Lecras IMO. He plays a lot taller then he is and has a good set of hands, reminds me a little bit of Brett Ebert. He's easily there most dangerous forward.

bornadog
16-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Good preview Scraggers.

Normally I am really worried about playing the Eagles as they have been tough competition for us since they joined the AFL, however, they really are in a rebuilding phase and having lost Judd and Cousins, I am more confident of a win.

I would like to see Everitt come in as another tall option as the Eagles have really stretched us over the years and if Lakes recovery from the corkie last week flares up, we could be in a little trouble.

I think we will win this one easily and agree with Scraggers, 36 points.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 02:41 PM
If we're contenders this year this should be a comfortable win. Nothing out of the box, just a nice, tough 30-50 point rollover and quietly back on the plane to recover for the Bluebaggers.

The Underdog
16-04-2009, 02:46 PM
As with other posters I find these match-ups a little strange.

Morris generally goes to the opposition's most dangerous mid-sized or small (sometimes even tall if players style suits) forward. From the outside you would have to think that this player is LeCras.

Callan doesn't look likely for a call-up with the amount of footy he has missed over the previous weeks being a factor especially when playing on a big ground like Subiaco.

I agree totally. Morris for LeCras no question with Shaggy as the 2nd option. Lake, Williams and Tiller should be able to handle any tall forwards.

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Only have a horrible recollection of Suby as I went to the semi in 2006 - still trying to erase that one from my memory. However, that said, 2009 is a new year, and we have a much more even and balanced team (alas, without Cooney). I'm hoping the dogs by 5 goals :)

LostDoggy
16-04-2009, 06:50 PM
]B: Dylan Addison, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Tom Williams, Ryan Hargrave
C: Liam Picken, Matthew Boyd, Nathan Eagleton
HF: Shaun Higgins, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Josh Hill, Will Minson, Jason Akermanis
Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Ryan Griffen
I/C (from): Andrejs Everitt, Daniel Giansiracusa, Jarrad Grant, Jarrod Harbrow, Sam Reid, Stephen Tiller, Callan Ward

In: Everitt, Grant, Harbrow, Reid
Out: Adam Cooney (knee)

New: Jarrad Grant (Dandenong Stingrays)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-04-2009, 07:05 PM
]B: Dylan Addison, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Tom Williams, Ryan Hargrave
C: Liam Picken, Matthew Boyd, Nathan Eagleton
HF: Shaun Higgins, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Josh Hill, Will Minson, Jason Akermanis
Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Ryan Griffen
I/C (from): Andrejs Everitt, Daniel Giansiracusa, Jarrad Grant, Jarrod Harbrow, Sam Reid, Stephen Tiller, Callan Ward

In: Everitt, Grant, Harbrow, Reid
Out: Adam Cooney (knee)

New: Jarrad Grant (Dandenong Stingrays)

I can't see Grant being the one to come in for Cooney. I think this is just to let him know he's close to being selected.

comrade
16-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I can't see Grant getting a gig this week but good to see him named in the squad nevertheless.

Sedat
16-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I notice Liam Picken in the starting 18 - looks like Kerr will have some close company on Sunday afternoon.

Rocco Jones
16-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I notice Liam Picken in the starting 18 - looks like Kerr will have some close company on Sunday afternoon.

Yep. I don't think he is an ideal match up for Picken but I guess the Eagles really struggle when Kerr isn't on. The Eagles are more a blue-collar midfield, so I guess it's not so much of a sacrifice to have Picken in the guts.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2009, 07:28 PM
As posted on another thread, i would like to see Reid again.

I'd dangle the promotion in front of Grant for a few weeks yet to see how he performs.

I'd prefer to see Everitt in, but Tiller isn't doing too much wrong.

Mantis
16-04-2009, 09:49 PM
The West Coast line-up:

B: Adam Hunter, Darren Glass, Mark Nicoski
HB: Shannon Hurn, Eric Mackenzie, Brett Jones
C: Adam Selwood, Matt Priddis, Matt Rosa
HF: Andrew Embley, Ashley Hansen, Brent Staker
F: Mark LeCras, Quinten Lynch, David Wirrpanda
Foll: Dean Cox, Daniel Kerr, Tyson Stenglein
I/C (from): Mitch Brown, Ryan Davis, Brad Ebert, Chad Fletcher, Will Schofield, Chris Masten, Ben McKinley

In: Staker, Wirrpanda, Schofield
Out: -

------------

They look awfully tall in defence, pretty tall up forward too.

Do we think their line-up will influence the team we select?

Rocco Jones
16-04-2009, 10:18 PM
They look awfully tall in defence, pretty tall up forward too.

Do we think their line-up will influence the team we select?

I think we should definitely play Tiller and probably Everitt to combat their forwards.

Our forward structure should/could also influence how many tall defenders they play.

Rocco Jones
16-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I actually hope they go super tall. Having poor quality talls is a massive liability in the modern day. It can even offer Lake more freedom as we have more options for him to exploit as none of their tall forwards are elite.

Mantis
16-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I actually hope they go super tall. Having poor quality talls is a massive liability in the modern day. It can even offer Lake more freedom as we have more options for him to exploit as none of their tall forwards are elite.

Didn't work too well for Freo in rd 1 when they played 4 talls up front.

Rocco Jones
16-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Didn't work too well for Freo in rd 1 when they played 4 talls up front.

Exactly. Lake, Williams, Tiller and Everitt worked well that game and I would be playing both Tiller and Everitt again against the Eagles. It would allow us to free up Morris to play on LeCras and Hargrave to play on a small (perhaps Wirrpanda).

Bulldog Revolution
16-04-2009, 11:33 PM
It's really only their half forward line thats tall, but Staker and Embley are both good movers and dont really play big

But it does depend on who they put on the interchange

Interesting Seaby is still not in favour

ledge
17-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Wirrapunda in, now thats a good player, I would like to see him tagged if he moves out from the backline, extremely smart, dont underestimate his influence if he gets a bit of ball.

The Pie Man
17-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I can't see Grant being the one to come in for Cooney. I think this is just to let him know he's close to being selected.

That's what I figured, dangling the carrot perhaps.

We'll need runners in the heat too.

Rocco Jones
17-04-2009, 12:04 PM
It's really only their half forward line thats tall, but Staker and Embley are both good movers and dont really play big

But it does depend on who they put on the interchange

Interesting Seaby is still not in favour

I was factoring in their bench. Mitch Brown has played all 3 games this year and McKinley has played the last two.

Jasper
17-04-2009, 12:54 PM
did any one go to training?

LostDoggy
17-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Is this a danger game, I guess every one is but its hard to read WC's form so far this year, we should have enough cover across the ground.

Normally I would be worried losing Cooney but he has only been playing at a fraction of his ability anyway, any of the guys coming in will account for themselves and the team well.

Cooney and Murphy still to come back in... thats quality.

Another big game coming up for Josh Hill I reckon.

1eyedog
17-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Morris has to go to Le Cras. I don't see a better match up for him.

alwaysadog
18-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Huh?:eek:

As Guru Bob says, "Think about it". Grant is an emergency this week, so he is getting closer to a game.

The Coon Dog
18-04-2009, 11:24 PM
As Guru Bob says, "Think about it". Grant is an emergency this week, so he is getting closer to a game.

I'm blowed if I know how you were able to make head or tales out of what kempino posted. :confused:

hujsh
18-04-2009, 11:45 PM

I don't know how you decided that that was what he meant. For me it could have one or two more meanings

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm blowed if I know how you were able to make head or tales out of what kempino posted. :confused:

TCD i think he's trying to say "it will be a good one IF grant gets a game."

The Coon Dog
19-04-2009, 12:56 AM
TCD i think he's trying to say "it will be a good one IF grant gets a game."

Yeah, yeah I know, but shapping?

ledge
19-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, yeah I know, but shapping?

Come on TCD we are talking western suburbs here, we dont use the Oxford dictionary its the one we got at Braybrook High, the Doug Hawkins book on the Australian language.
commonly called "youse all talk namure". :D

Thats my excuse when i type my "i" and "e" in wrong position anyway.

alwaysadog
19-04-2009, 01:37 PM

He was punning can't with Grant.