PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown teams Rnd 2 (1st game for Willy)

Before I Die
17-04-2009, 12:50 AM
A bit mis-leading because all seven players named on the Dogs bench get named in the Willy team. Still, nice to see Dogs listed players in most of the Key Positions. Also Cordy straight into the seniors reinforces his class. Callan, Murphy and Welsh all named.

Williamstown Seniors

B Tiller Wight Davies

HB Callan Cloke Reid

C Everitt Bre. Johnson Ward

HF Grant Skipper Giansiracusa

F Rose Welsh Cordy

R Meyer Jolley Harbrow

Int Stretton Langlands Lynch Little O'Keefe Cartelli Stack Egan Wood Joyce Lockwood Murphy

12 named on the seniors bench with 4 dogs players to come out. 7 of the 12 then also named in the reserves. Mulligan must be injured.

Williamstown Reserves

B Lockwood Grossman Georgiadis

HB Keddell Boumann Stack

C Cravino Langlands White

HF Rampe Young Lynch

F Joyce Little Galea

R Shaw Gotch Cartelli

Int Dimartino Florance Nicolopoulos Isbister Svarc Miller Ayton Muir Graham Lee

Sockeye Salmon
17-04-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm disappointed to see Bouman still in the 2's. His pre-season form has been good.

You would also rather see Meyer back to FB, Wight to the reserves and Shaw into the ruck in the seniors (actually I'd rather Roughead not be injured).

The Coon Dog
17-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Collingwood vs. Williamstown
Saturday 18th April
Visy Park at 2:00 PM

comrade
17-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I’m all for making the young players earn their spot and I can’t comment on training work ethic or general attitude around the club but I can comment on the 5 games I’ve seen this pre season.

Boumann deserves to be in the seniors, pure and simple – based on his big improvement and overall performance in the pre-season. He was rarely beaten and showed good nous and potential as a key defender. Wight on the other hand was uninspiring – we know what we’ll get from him: a reasonable effort, with a lack of physicality and average decision making.

I can’t understand the reasoning behind making Boumann play in the magoos and have Wight play a key defensive role. Isn’t the affiliation system designed to develop up and coming talent, whilst still making the team competitive?

The senior team would be just as potent with Boumann in the team (probably more so) and it would give him a chance to play on good young AFL players like Dawes and Ben Reid and some bigger bodies – great for his development. Now he’ll play on a no name spindly little kid and probably murder him but Gotch won’t see it because the senior team is playing at a different ground, and he’ll play reserves the next week.

I can only guess that they’ve told Wight that he has a couple of weeks to prove he really wants to have a crack and if he doesn’t hit his goals he’s in the 2nds.

Rant endeth.

Note: After thinking about it a bit more, and also taking in Sockeye’s comments – I think Wight has been given a life line because of Rougheads injury. If Boumann played in the seniors they’d be a ruckman short, with only Skipper to do the job (I know Meyer has been named as ruck but he is a key defender first and foremost). At 200cm, at least Wight he can genuinely contest a ruck duel (not necessarily effectively).

DexterT
17-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm going to this game, anyone other fellow woofers going to be there?

hujsh
17-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I'll be the first one this year...

What? Gia's in the reserves? How does that work?

Before I Die
17-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I'll be the first one this year...

What Gia's in the reserves? How does that work?

Bitterly disappointed I didn't think to use this line in my opening post.:D

strebla
17-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I have swapped my shifts and am attending this game with western Monkey should be a good day

GVGjr
17-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm going to this game, anyone other fellow woofers going to be there?

I'll certainly be going

comrade
17-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I'll certainly be going

I'll be going to the reserves game at Coburg (just around the corner) and take some notes on the young Bulldogs and then head to Princes Park from there.

Remi Moses
18-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Does anyone know if it's on any radio station [can't recall the name a community sation]

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Does anyone know if it's on any radio station [can't recall the name a community sation]

Last year there was a couple of community stations that called games but I haven't seen them selling themselves this year. My guess is that they no longer do it because I know one of the stations (1611am) was closed down late last year. There was also a FM one but I can't recall that number. Perhaps Comrade might remember it.

I think if you didn't go to the game it is was worth listening to the coverage but the 7 second delay in calling meant if you were at the game it was hard to listen to.

comrade
18-04-2009, 08:53 AM

Casey Radio are broadcasting the game at 2pm.

If you want to listen to it on the wireless set it to 97.7FM - not sure what the range is like though as I think it only caters for the South-East of Melbourne.

If you want to listen on the web, click here (http://www.3ser.org.au/) for the official Casey Radio site and click Listen Live.

The Doctor
18-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I'll be going to the reserves game at Coburg (just around the corner) and take some notes on the young Bulldogs and then head to Princes Park from there.

Comrade

what time to the ressies kick off and which ground at Coburg

cheers

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Comrade

what time to the ressies kick off and which ground at Coburg

cheers

10.20am and at ABD Group Stadium according to the fixture

comrade
18-04-2009, 10:18 AM
10.20am and at ABD Group Stadium according to the fixture

Yep, old Coburg City oval on Harding St.

Should finish at around 1pm, quick drive up Sydney Rd to Visy Park for the seniors game at 2pm.

Lovely.

comrade
18-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Williamstown reserves

Williamstown vs Coburg

Coburg Tigers 2.3 8.7 8.9 13.13 (91)
Williamstown 1.10 4.14 13.19 19.22 (136)

GOALS:
Coburg Tigers: Polak 4 GILLIGAN 2 Kellett 2 Hughes Hislop Kelly Clifton Pettifer
Williamstown: Galea 7 Stack 3 Keddell 3 Rampe 2 Nicolopoulos Florance Graham Joyce

Bulldogs players: Boumann, Shaw and Stack.

Boumann: Played on Polak and even though Polak ended with 4 goals (I actually only counted 3 - obviously missed one), I thought he did a decent job. His timing of his spoils was spot on - in earlier games he has given one or two frees away but not today. He also outbodied Polak at times and ran off nicely. His disposal was good also and I've mentioned in other reports that he doesn't always leave his man and help out in a contest - he did that nicely today.
He also went forward late in the game as a roaming CHF but didn't have much influence - but good to see him being developed in different roles.

Stack: Another fascinating game from Brennan. Roamed all over, playing in the middle and forward mostly. Finished with 3 and was lively but again, he combines the sublime with the silly. Perfect example - he took a strong Josh Hill type contested mark in the forward pocket, only to kick off two steps directly into the man on the mark. He didn't fumble as much today and seemed confident taking the game on but he did go missing. He'll probably get another run in the 2's next week but I think he'll push for a spot soon.

Shaw: Absolute work horse of a ruckman, will never be a Cox-type but gives a great contest and his tap work is very good. He was probably beaten around the ground but he gave the midfielders first use and scrapped and won contested ball. I'd like to see him playing seniors next week with Roughead still out injured.

GVG flagged Dane Rampe as one to watch and he's right - looked very good today. Willy were really struggling to kick goals in the first half and Rampe kicked 2 absolute blinders in the 3rd to get them up and running.

Good win for the team with the 3 Bulldogs boys having a good impact. They were up by almost 10 goals in the last quarter before Coburg kicked consecutive majors to gain some respectability to the scoreboard.

Mantis
18-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Could be a race on here between comrade and GVGjr to get there write-up posted first....

Heard the closing stages on the radio and it was a very convincing win to Willi by about 10 goals. O'Keefe kicked 5 and was voted BOG.

Look forward to the report.

comrade
18-04-2009, 06:54 PM
I'll let GVG have first crack at it...

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Good write up Comrade.

Add Henry White to the list of Doggies players for the reserves game. White was a solid performer.

Stack is a frustrating player and as Comrade mentioned he took a sensational athletic mark but from 30 out, proceeded to kick the ball into the man on the mark. At quarter time he was given a rev up about lifting his work rate. He was told at 70% he is just an average player but at 100% and running hard he is just too good for most opponents. His work rate lifted after quarter time.

I'll add that Boumann got a Rocket at quarter time as well for a a couple of half hearted efforts and a poor decision that cost us goals.
Terrific the way he answered the challenge though.

Shaw was solid and battled on against some very decent opponents.

It was interesting to see 200cm Dean Putt on a wing matched up with Rampe and the the Tigers had guys of the caliber of Polak, Hughes and Pettifer all playing in the reserves.

I'll write up something about the seniors a bit later.

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Could be a race on here between comrade and GVGjr to get there write-up posted first....

Heard the closing stages on the radio and it was a very convincing win to Willi by about 10 goals. O'Keefe kicked 5 and was voted BOG.

Look forward to the report.

It just takes time :)

O'Keefe was sensational again today and I'm afraid Rockets missing out on a real top prospect if he thinks he isn't ready for senior football. We counted about 40 possessions and he kicked 5 straight. The way that he worked with Skipper and Reid was the big reason why Williamstown won today.

Welsh has made the trip to Perth in case I forget to mention it later.

Rocco Jones
18-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Welsh has made the trip to Perth in case I forget to mention it later.

Welsh wasn't included in the emergencies, seems odd.

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Welsh wasn't included in the emergencies, seems odd.

Very odd but it just goes with my conspiracy theory that Rocket will never go into a game with the selected side this season :)

Happy Days
18-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Very odd but it just goes with my conspiracy theory that Rocket will never go into a game with the selected side this season :)

Is Welsh allowed to come in if he's not listed as an emergency?

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 07:37 PM
The bulldog listed players today consisted of:

Skipper - Got better as the game wore on and had two good opponents in Cam Wood and Chris Bryan. I really liked his marking and his vision and he was always looking to get the ball to O'Keefe and Reid. The three of them worked very well together.

Murphy - They would be very happy to get him through the game. He played mainly in the back half as a HBF and displayed his normal poise and balance. He did OK but I think he still needs another gallop.

Grant - Another good effort today and and was lively up forward and held some nice marks. His fitness level might limit him a little bit but long term you can see him playing a role similar to what Robert Murphy does for the seniors. For someone so lean, he throws himself around in contests and irritates his opponents.

Reid - Very good effort over the 4 quarters although he was probably just a little quiet in the first quarter. He was often on the receiving end of some very good passes by O'Keefe and the two of them appear to have an uncanny understanding where the other one is throughout the game. Squandered an easy goal opportunity.

Wood - Solid game today and whilst he will never be a high possession winner he rarely made a mistake today. Some nice marks and some good creative play were the highlights and he just needs to work a bit more on his kicking.

O'Keefe - Standout player by a fair mile today and he did it all. He was tough in a contest and some of his tackling was very good. He ran well, was very creative and his use of the ball was first rate capped off by 5 straight goals from a combination of set shots, goals from sharp angels and a goal on the run.
With a big occasion game next week, he would be more than ready to come into the side if a position opens up.

Callan - Didn't do too much wrong except for a little bit of fumbling. Mainly played as a defender but wasn't prominent.

Wight - Not a great game but in the 2nd half he ran up the field a few times and created some goals for the side.

Lynch - Did some impressive things including some breathtaking runs where he might have got the benefit from the umpires for running a bit too far. He isn't a natural goal kicker though which might work against him.

Cordy - Played as a forward and relieved Skipper in the ruck which I think is the wrong move. There was one or two plays that really stood out including a mark where he just timed it so well and his characteristic skill of scooping up the ball off the ground and pumping out a handball. He will take some time but he will be worth the wait.

Everitt - played all day as a defender and whilst he didn't get a lot of the ball he beat his opponents easily.

Special mention to Williamstown boys Johnson, Lockwood and Little who played great games.

Missing today from either games was Daniels (mysterious injury) Mulligan, Roughead and Ogle.

Ask away if you have any questions.

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Is Welsh allowed to come in if he's not listed as an emergency?

I think we would get fined. I actually don't think he will play but my understanding is that he made the trip.

The Doctor
18-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I went along to both Willi games today. the reserves were halfway through the second 1/4 when I arrrived and looked to be all over Coburb except on the scoreboard. At one stage Willi had kicked something like 5. 19. 49 and were trailing the more accurate Coburg. They blew them away in the second half and only a few belated goals in junk time stopped it from beiing a decent flogging.

My thought on Doggies listed players.

Henry White - I thought was outstanding. Roamed across half back and ran through the middle using his pace to advantage and generally disposed of the ball quite well. For a player who is still slight he got into the thick of it quite as well. When he can hold his ground in a contest a bit better he could be a player for us.

Boumann - The ball didn't get into the Coburg forward half all that much except mainly on the counter attack. I thought he did quite well. Lost contact a couple of times with his opponent which cost him a couple of goals. Otherwise his spoiling was very good and took a couple of nice marks. I would like to see him back himslef a bit more and provide more run and link play as he has the athleticism to do it. He also kicked quite beautifully. I would like to see him work on his leg strength as this will provide him with more contest power. A very bright prospect.

Shaw - Battles hard around the ground without being outstanding. Held his own in the ruck.

Stack - I hate to say it but I think he is becoming our Tambling. You can see the talent there and he teases you with it but he just doesn't put it together. Kicked 3 opportunist goals that fell into his lap rather than he create them himself. Has a great physique for footy and he would be a better player if he learnt how to use it.

The Seadog seniors got off to a very slow start but started to get on top around half way through the second. THe won the game running away. I was very pleased to see how full of running the boys were late in the game.

O'Keefe - played 4 outstanding quarters of football. When Willi played poorly early on he was the one who kept them in it. He played mainly in the middle featuring at most centre bounces. He pushed hard into the forward line and got 5 goals for his effort. Finished the game strongly and full of run. A fantastic game.

Easton Wood - Our second best player in my view. Was sensational running off half back and linking up with the midfield and pushing forward. Marked well and disposed well. Tackled well and really got into the game even if he didn't run up a huge possie count. Has a steely resolve and seems to like getting physically involved. I think he will be a very good AFL player.

Murphy - Had a decent run playing across half back and the wing. Was on and off the ground and had a typical Murph game. Will have appreciated the run and wouldn't surprise if he makes the seniors next week although I would like to see him have another week playing on the forward line for a whole game.

Callan - Battled hard all game and delivered what we expect from him. No frills, no easy possies for his opponent and a genuine effort. Will be better for the run.

Skipper - lowered his colours to Wood in the first half but fought back strongly in the second half. I just wish he had a little more composure with the footy. However he was instrumental in the getting the team back into the game. Good effort.

Lynch - Flashed in and out of the game. Had a nice long dash late in the game that led to a goal. Has built up a bit which is good to see. Has plenty of tricks and should use them more.

Grant - He will play better games than this but today he showed he has a real forwards attitude. Kicked 3 I think but showed a bit of aggro at times. Flattened one bloke who came in to shepherd a team mate, tried conning the umpire into taking someone elses free kick. He really wanted the ball in his hands. Took a couple of screamers.

Cordy - Didn't get a lot of it. Is obviously adjusting to the tempo and playing on stronger more experienced opponents. Tried very hard to get into the game which was pleasing and helped out in the ruck.

Wight - was constantly led to the ball by Dawes at first and then Bryan but he stuck to the task. Got better as the game went on.

Reid - slow start and missed a couple of gimme goals but really improved the longer the game went on. Played mainly across the wing today and took some strong marks.

Everitt - played a sweeping role across half back and after a quiet start like many team mates really got into the game. He mopped up in the back half, ran hard to link up through the middle and many times became the third man into the contest with a timely spoil. Not a bad game today.

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Great write up Doc.

azabob
18-04-2009, 07:47 PM

Skipper - Got better as the game wore on and had two good opponents in Cam Wood and Chris Bryan. I really liked his marking and his vision and he was always looking to get the ball to O'Keefe and Reid. The three of them worked very well together.

Murphy - They would be very happy to get him through the game. He played mainly in the back half as a HBF and displayed his normal poise and balance. He did OK but I think he still needs another gallop.

Grant - Another good effort today and and was lively up forward and held some nice marks. His fitness level might limit him a little bit but long term you can see him playing a role similar to what Robert Murphy does for the seniors. For someone so lean, he throws himself around in contests and irritates his opponents.

Reid - Very good effort over the 4 quarters although he was probably just a little quiet in the first quarter. He was often on the receiving end of some very good passes by O'Keefe and the two of them appear to have an uncanny understanding where the other one is throughout the game. Squandered an easy goal opportunity.

Wood - Solid game today and whilst he will never be a high possession winner he rarely made a mistake today. Some nice marks and some good creative play were the highlights and he just needs to work a bit more on his kicking.

O'Keefe - Standout player by a fair mile today and he did it all. He was tough in a contest and some of his tackling was very good. He ran well, was very creative and his use of the ball was first rate capped off by 5 straight goals from a combination of set shots, goals from sharp angels and a goal on the run.
With a big occasion game next week, he would be more than ready to come into the side if a position opens up.

Callan - Didn't do too much wrong except for a little bit of fumbling. Mainly played as a defender but wasn't prominent.

Wight - Not a great game but in the 2nd half he ran up the field a few times and created some goals for the side.

Lynch - Did some impressive things including some breathtaking runs where he might have got the benefit from the umpires for running a bit too far. He isn't a natural goal kicker though which might work against him.

Cordy - Played as a forward and relieved Skipper in the ruck which I think is the wrong move. There was one or two plays that really stood out including a mark where he just timed it so well and his characteristic skill of scooping up the ball off the ground and pumping out a handball. He will take some time but he will be worth the wait.

Everitt - played all day as a defender and whilst he didn't get a lot of the ball he beat his opponents easily.

Special mention to Williamstown boys Johnson, Lockwood and Little who played great games.

Missing today from either games was Daniels (mysterious injury) Mulligan, Roughead and Ogle.

Thanks for the great write up as usual. Does O'Keffe have a defensive side to his game? If not, is that what is holding him back?
Do you think he should be playing against W/C, if yes who should he replace?

The Doctor
18-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Great write up Doc.

we were clearly at the same game as our write ups are quite similar.

comrade
18-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Just a few notes as GVG and The Doctor have summed things up nicely:

Grant seemed a little off today - wasn't as sharp as previous weeks and he was blowing hard but he does roam far and wide for his kicks. I'd love to see him become the go to man and demand the ball deeper in the forward line. He seemed concerned with his lower right leg towards the end of the game but that didn't stop him from taking an absolute speccy deep in the forward line right at the death.

Reid is a beast and found space so easily. His marking for a midfielder is Daniel Cross-like and I won't be suprised to see him squeeze his way into the Red, White and Blue soon enough.

Wood was good, he breaks the lines and opponent tackles and chases hard. Very quick and he kicked a nice check side goal. One of my favourites.

Everitt was the best defender today - he read the play nicely and chopped off a number of forward entries. Wasn't beaten once and showed some actual real nasty grunt in one contest - smashed an opponent with a massive spoil and absolutely gave it to him. Good to see.

O'Keefe - He might suck at time trials and beep tests but he can play football. Sorry Rocket but it's the truth.

Lynch was fairly prominent but I'd love to see him kick some sneaky goals.

Murph got better as the game went on, a few flashes of dazzle - great to see him back.

Good win in the end - once our midfield got on top, the Pies really struggled to stay involved.

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the great write up as usual. Does O'Keffe have a defensive side to his game? If not, is that what is holding him back?

Look there is no doubt that naturally he would probably prefer to be a player who pushes forward of the ball and create but his tackling was very good and his quick hands in a contest indicates to me that is more than strong enough and effective enough in a contest.
I was sitting with a couple of mates today today and we thought that he reminded us of a player that would fit into the Sydney Swans type of system so he does have that defensive ability.

The Doctor
18-04-2009, 07:54 PM

O'keefe practically kicked the door down today. He may need to do it a few more times to get in especially if we keep winning. However he couldn't possibly do much more than he did today. If anything it would be nice if he had an extra yard of speed.

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 07:56 PM
we were clearly at the same game as our write ups are quite similar.

It wasn't a hard write up either was it? ;)

What did you think of Egan today? He still has a tonne of talent but he is unlikely to maximise it.

Happy Days
18-04-2009, 07:57 PM

I went along to both Willi games today. the reserves were halfway through the second 1/4 when I arrrived and looked to be all over Coburb except on the scoreboard. At one stage Willi had kicked something like 5. 19. 49 and were trailing the more accurate Coburg. They blew them away in the second half and only a few belated goals in junk time stopped it from beiing a decent flogging.

My thought on Doggies listed players.

Henry White - I thought was outstanding. Roamed across half back and ran through the middle using his pace to advantage and generally disposed of the ball quite well. For a player who is still slight he got into the thick of it quite as well. When he can hold his ground in a contest a bit better he could be a player for us.

Boumann - The ball didn't get into the Coburg forward half all that much except mainly on the counter attack. I thought he did quite well. Lost contact a couple of times with his opponent which cost him a couple of goals. Otherwise his spoiling was very good and took a couple of nice marks. I would like to see him back himslef a bit more and provide more run and link play as he has the athleticism to do it. He also kicked quite beautifully. I would like to see him work on his leg strength as this will provide him with more contest power. A very bright prospect.

Shaw - Battles hard around the ground without being outstanding. Held his own in the ruck.

Stack - I hate to say it but I think he is becoming our Tambling. You can see the talent there and he teases you with it but he just doesn't put it together. Kicked 3 opportunist goals that fell into his lap rather than he create them himself. Has a great physique for footy and he would be a better player if he learnt how to use it.

The Seadog seniors got off to a very slow start but started to get on top around half way through the second. THe won the game running away. I was very pleased to see how full of running the boys were late in the game.

O'Keefe - played 4 outstanding quarters of football. When Willi played poorly early on he was the one who kept them in it. He played mainly in the middle featuring at most centre bounces. He pushed hard into the forward line and got 5 goals for his effort. Finished the game strongly and full of run. A fantastic game.

Easton Wood - Our second best player in my view. Was sensational running off half back and linking up with the midfield and pushing forward. Marked well and disposed well. Tackled well and really got into the game even if he didn't run up a huge possie count. Has a steely resolve and seems to like getting physically involved. I think he will be a very good AFL player.

Murphy - Had a decent run playing across half back and the wing. Was on and off the ground and had a typical Murph game. Will have appreciated the run and wouldn't surprise if he makes the seniors next week although I would like to see him have another week playing on the forward line for a whole game.

Callan - Battled hard all game and delivered what we expect from him. No frills, no easy possies for his opponent and a genuine effort. Will be better for the run.

Skipper - lowered his colours to Wood in the first half but fought back strongly in the second half. I just wish he had a little more composure with the footy. However he was instrumental in the getting the team back into the game. Good effort.

Lynch - Flashed in and out of the game. Had a nice long dash late in the game that led to a goal. Has built up a bit which is good to see. Has plenty of tricks and should use them more.

Grant - He will play better games than this but today he showed he has a real forwards attitude. Kicked 3 I think but showed a bit of aggro at times. Flattened one bloke who came in to shepherd a team mate, tried conning the umpire into taking someone elses free kick. He really wanted the ball in his hands. Took a couple of screamers.

Cordy - Didn't get a lot of it. Is obviously adjusting to the tempo and playing on stronger more experienced opponents. Tried very hard to get into the game which was pleasing and helped out in the ruck.

Wight - was constantly led to the ball by Dawes at first and then Bryan but he stuck to the task. Got better as the game went on.

Reid - slow start and missed a couple of gimme goals but really improved the longer the game went on. Played mainly across the wing today and took some strong marks.

Everitt - played a sweeping role across half back and after a quiet start like many team mates really got into the game. He mopped up in the back half, ran hard to link up through the middle and many times became the third man into the contest with a timely spoil. Not a bad game today.

Thanks for the reports guys, much appreciated.

Surley O'Keefe is a chance for next week if Callan Ward turns in another below-average game. He'll struggle to get a call-up if he can't get one after a game like that.

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 07:58 PM
O'keefe practically kicked the door down today. He may need to do it a few more times to get in especially if we keep winning. However he couldn't possibly do much more than he did today. If anything it would be nice if he had an extra yard of speed.

Not sure if you have seen any other games but he has has had at least two other performances where he has racked up a number of possessions and performed well.
This might have been the icing on the cake though.

Did Rampe in the reserves catch your eye today?

GVGjr
18-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the reports guys, much appreciated.

Surley O'Keefe is a chance for next week if Callan Ward turns in another below-average game. He'll struggle to get a call-up if he can't get one after a game like that.

I really hopes he is on the list of possibilities for the game against Carlton. I think Rocket is too preoccupied with athletic running types and if he thinks O'Keefe's running isn't up to it then I think he is very mistaken. Of course it would be nice if he was a step quicker but he isn't too slow for the game and he knows how to get the ball, make other players better and convert his chances in front of goal. There should be a place in our side sometime during the season for that type of player.

dazb
18-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Really hope O'Keefe gets a run soon. Possibly replacing Ward.

DexterT
18-04-2009, 08:31 PM
My 9 cents worth:

Perfect weather for footy.

Missed most of the first quarter and I"m glad I did, seems Collingwood got the jump on the Seagulls.

I again just concentrated on the backline and forward lines as they were the most visually accessible from where I was sitting.

Second quarter the 'Gulls fought back, winning clearances and thanks to quite a few free kicks. Grant was lively (I won a pizza from Mighty West :D), took a couple of strong marks, and looks like a great set shot from goal, probably the only thing he needs to work on is his defensive pressure in the forward line. Funniest thing for the day was after Granty took the screamer near full time, tried to cut down the angle for goal and the umpire busted him :D He kicked the goal as well :)

Guy O'Keefe kicked a couple of goals and Sam Reid could have kicked a goal on the run, but missed...BADLY! You ain't going to get a game in the AFL if you keep doing that Sammy.

Bob Murphy was on the park, but did nothing noteworthy. He was wearing number 20 and I couldn't find who that player was in my footy record and when I got to the huddle I just thought 'Hey, isn't that Bob Murphy? Shit it is!!!!!" Unfortunately, Bob didn't do much, probably played about 50% of the match. I don't think he's ready at all for a season debut
next game against Carlton who're coming off a two game losing streak. Grant would be more of a chance that Bob.

Ayce Cordy is going to be something special, great hands, great decision making. Some of the things he did, while the ball was on the ground was awesome, the kid is a definite keeper. The one little thing I did notice was Cordy struggling for effective taps in centre bounces.

Skipper was dominant in the ruck and around the ground, but can he replicate this form in the AFL?:confused:

Cam Wight was beaten in the first half - playing fullback, luckily for him, his opponent couldn't kick straight. However he fought back in the second half, great spoiling and intercepting many forward thrusts from the 'Pies. However I don't think he'll ever be considered for the AFL, unless there are injuries.

Mal Lynch also had a poor first half, but fought back in the second half. Although a couple of his runs were heart in mouth stuff.

Tim Callan looks like a small tank and he would slot into the best 22 for alot of other teams.

Everitt was great - read the play well, did most of the kick outs and hit most of his targets.
Can slot into the dogs best 22 with no problems at all if anyone loses form or is injured.

Easton Wood reminds me a little bit of Matt Mattner of Sydney, probably with a harder edge to him. Becoming a very good footballer.

The most exciting part of the game was watching Grant and Cordy and how rosy the future is the for the Western Bulldogs. For those who are thinking that the dogs will struggle when Aker and Johnno retire, wouldn't have the same thoughts if they saw these two kids playing today.

Now we just have to wait and see if Roughead is as good as his cousin and the dogs will have their CHF and Ruckman and Full forward for the future.

And one other thing: GO DOGS!

Sunshine
18-04-2009, 10:18 PM
4 great reports so thanks very much guys

The Doctor
18-04-2009, 10:23 PM
It wasn't a hard write up either was it? ;)

What did you think of Egan today? He still has a tonne of talent but he is unlikely to maximise it.

He's certainly good enough as a half forward and it was his goals that got Willi back into the game. He copped a lot of spray from Pie fans around me.

I thought he chased hard today and had a decent go of it. Whether he can sustain it or not remains to be seen. He looks as though he could be a bit fitter. Good game today.

The Doctor
18-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Did Rampe in the reserves catch your eye today?

Not really as I was concentrating primarily on Boumann. I positioned myself behind the goals at the grandstand end so I could get a close look at his form.

I was also distracted a bit by a Coburg supporter who was dished it out to Cleve Hughes a couple of times and was clearly getting under his skin! This was rather entertaining.

The Underdog
18-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I think we would get fined. I actually don't think he will play but my understanding is that he made the trip.

It seems bizarre to take a 30 yo with a history of recent back injury to Perth and back. We would get fined although I'm pretty sure in a game earlier this year we changed our emergencies after the original named team, which would get around this. Looking at the AFL site it doesn't appear as though we've done this as yet.

Thanks for all the reports guys. Guys like O'Keefe, Wood and Reid seem to be ready for their shot if a place in the team comes up. Our depth is getting to be really impressive.

Dry Rot
18-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Our depth is getting to be really impressive.

I agree that in the future you are probably right.

But for now, if we lost say Morris and Lake, or Hudson or Minson or Johnno and Aker we'd be stuffed against teams we'd expect to meet in September.

The Doctor
18-04-2009, 11:15 PM

But for now, if we lost say Morris and Lake, or Hudson or Minson or Johnno and Aker we'd be stuffed against teams we'd expect to meet in September.

as other teams would be against us if they lost players of similar calibre

azabob
18-04-2009, 11:22 PM

I think we could cover the loss of Johnson. He hasn't played great football so far this season.
Hopefully he can get into some form soon.

The Underdog
18-04-2009, 11:23 PM
as other teams would be against us if they lost players of similar calibre

A team like Hawthorn perhaps.

BulldogBelle
18-04-2009, 11:31 PM
This thread has been excellent reading - thanks to all of you that have taken the time out to put fingers to keyboard to post up these wonderful reports. Thanks. :)

Remi Moses
19-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Great stuff appreciate the effort put into the reports

Remi Moses
19-04-2009, 12:12 AM

Gotta say you only to have a look at Hawthorn to see all teams struggle when getting key injuries.

mighty_west
19-04-2009, 12:28 AM

How would the Hawks go if they lost Buddy & Roughead? or Hodge & Mitchell?

Geelong if they lost Scarlett & Milburn? or Ablett & Bartel?

bornadog
19-04-2009, 12:35 AM
I was also at the game today and caught up with GVGjr, but with excellent reports I don't need to repeat what has been written.

As has been mentioned, O'Keefe was impressive and seemed to work hard and pick up a lot of possessions, also laid some great tackles and was rewarded. Grant played a lot of the game outside 50 and did extremely well, took a couple of big marks as well, one on the siren at the end of the game and drilled in from a tight angle. There was one piece of great play when Grant kicked the ball from outside 50 to a player in the pocket, who turned around and tried to dribble it through from the angle and as it bounced towards goal, who should soccer it through but Grant.

Lynch really came alive in the last quarter and picked up some valuable possessions and created a few goals. Had a look at him during the three quarter time break and he looks in terrific shape.

Overall an easy win for Willy after being down about 30 points in the first term.

lemmon
19-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Well done guys excellent stuff, how good is our 07 draft looking
Grant, Ward, Reid, Wood and O'Keefe all look like they'll be very good players while Boumann is on the improve and seems to have found his niche in the backline.

chef
19-04-2009, 07:37 AM

How would you prefer they use Cordy?

GVGjr
19-04-2009, 08:24 AM
How would you prefer they use Cordy?

Leave him as a forward and he can do a little ruck work there. My concern is that he could get injured in the ruck and I'd prefer to see him get through this season without getting injured. Hopefully when Roughead is back we can play Cordy more as a forward.

Mantis
19-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the write-ups.

Sounds like we are building some great depth at present which will no doubt keep the senior guys on their toes.

Bulldog Revolution
19-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Great reports guys

Pleased to hear so many of our 1-3 year players pushing forward. Great to hear about OKeefe, Reid and Skipper combining so effectively. All 3 sound cherry ripe and ready to go if selected.

Some good opposition in the Burgers reserves with Boumann matching up on Polak etc, and Pettifer, Hughes etc playing

alwaysadog
19-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Great write ups guys, many thanks.
Going on today's efforts our list management seems to be in very good order and plenty of pressure is already being put on those in the senior side for their spots.

Go_Dogs
19-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the reports as usual, always great to hear how our younger players are going.

Sounds like O'Keefe must be really close - from recollection he started last year with a bang too and then faded a bit as the year continued. Hopefully he can get an opportunity soon. Seems a very exciting prospect.

With Brennan Stack - is it a concentration thing? A fitness thing? Seemed to be having a very good pre-season, but has dropped off pretty quickly based on the reports the last few weeks.

strebla
19-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Leave him as a forward and he can do a little ruck work there. My concern is that he could get injured in the ruck and I'd prefer to see him get through this season without getting injured. Hopefully when Roughead is back we can play Cordy more as a forward.

I think the only reason he rucked today was that Cloke was injured early (didn't see what happened).I also loved the game O'Keefe played but I thought the work rate of an overweight Egan really gave Willy some added bite!!

The Doctor
19-04-2009, 11:16 AM
With Brennan Stack - is it a concentration thing? A fitness thing? Seemed to be having a very good pre-season, but has dropped off pretty quickly based on the reports the last few weeks.

I created a thread on Stacky a while back with the inference that he was the most fascinating player on our list. I think he still is.

Yesterday he played mainly as a deep forward moving out to half forward at times. Perhaps he was playing to a set game plan or following a direct instruction it is hard to say. I certainly don't think it is a fitness thing as he looks in great shape, in fact he looks awesome. Concentration? Hard to say on one viewing.

What I would have like to have seen from him yesterday was free license to roam all over the forward line and inject himself into it a lot more. Three goals was not a bad return but I would liked to have seen him create a few more and end up with 4 or 5 and dish a few others off.

What is his best position? Perhaps that is what the Willi coaches and our development coaches are trying to find out.

Scorlibo
19-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Out of interest, where has Rocket stated that O'Keefe is not ready for AFL footy?

bornadog
19-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I think the only reason he rucked today was that Cloke was injured early (didn't see what happened).I also loved the game O'Keefe played but I thought the work rate of an overweight Egan really gave Willy some added bite!!

They didn't go into the game with too many options for Ruck. I agree with GVGjr that Cordy shouldn't be rucking, but yesterday there were no other options. Willi needs to find a solution as Roughhead is still a few weeks away.

comrade
19-04-2009, 03:38 PM
They didn't go into the game with too many options for Ruck. I agree with GVGjr that Cordy shouldn't be rucking, but yesterday there were no other options. Willi needs to find a solution as Roughhead is still a few weeks away.

I think Wight was picked to help out in the ruck but when Cloke went down, had to hold down a key defensive post.

They need a genuine ruckman to help Skipper, which means Shaw needs to play seniors next week.

Anyone know what's up with Mulligan?

bornadog
19-04-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/murphy-happy-to-help-in-seagulls-win/2009/04/18/1240008831266.html

Murphy happy to help in Seagulls win

Brent Diamond | April 19, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Robert Murphy looks set to return to senior football after getting through his first game of football in Williamstown's 62-point smashing of Collingwood yesterday at Visy Park.

The 26-year-old had 10 touches on return from a shoulder operation over the pre-season but his performance was overshadowed by the impressive form of Guy O'Keefe, who snared five goals and collected 34 disposals in the 21.11 (137) to 11.9 (75) win.

Then there was enigmatic Richmond forward Jay Schulz's seven-goal heroics for the Coburg Tigers in their 74-point thrashing of Geelong. Meanwhile, reigning Frosty Miller medallist Nick Sautner booted six goals to give Sandringham an all-conquering start to the season to hold off a gritty Frankston by 30 points.

Murphy told The Sunday Age he hopes to be back in the Bulldogs line-up next week, but "it will depend on the match committee if I need another run here, I'll do that.

"It wasn't one of my classics but I was just happy to chip in and help these guys get a win."

The raw ability of father-son selection Ayce Cordy was evident during the game as he impressed with fine aerial skills around the ground.

"I think the more he plays, the better he's getting," said Seagulls coach Brad Gotch. "We're using him through the ruck and the midfield, which we haven't done all pre-season, so he's starting to get used to it."

Wayde Skipper, Sam Reid and Williamstown-listed Ben Davies also impressed in the Seagulls onslaught to win their first match of the season.

The wheels looked shaky early for Williamstown, with the Magpies shooting to a five-goal lead at the first change through the brilliance of Chris Bryan and Chris Dawes, both snaring two each up forward.

But the Seagulls made their mark in the second quarter through courageous play from Brett Johnson, and hard tackling from Davies and Andrejs Everitt. But it was O'Keefe who arrived on the scene whenever the cause demanded. He was heavily involved in a seven consecutive goal burst to give Williamstown a 15-point lead at the main break.

Chris Egan with three goals was exceptional up forward against his former team and Matthew Little snared four to keep the Magpies at bay in the third term, for a 32-point lead at the last change, before some Skipper brilliance sealed the deal.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2009, 03:48 PM
We've certainly got quite a few quality kids on our list. Wood has been pretty impressive this year including his game v Essendon, Grant is showing plenty and really only needs to bulk up/build on his fitness whilst Reid/O'Keefe have been in top form so far too.

Hard to drop anyone in our side at the moment, but one bad game and you're probably out.

Good to see.

Great reports too, cheers.

bornadog
19-04-2009, 04:04 PM
We've certainly got quite a few quality kids on our list. Wood has been pretty impressive this year including his game v Essendon, Grant is showing plenty and really only needs to bulk up/build on his fitness whilst Reid/O'Keefe have been in top form so far too.

Hard to drop anyone in our side at the moment, but one bad game and you're probably out.

Good to see.

Great reports too, cheers.

If I was to choose a player to debut it would be O'Keefe, he is looking very sharp, great disposal, gets plenty of the ball and can run all day. Last year, he was having a great first half of the season but faded a bit in the second half and missed out on his debut when the opportunity presented against Adelaide. Looking at him yesterday, you can only be nothing but impressed.

Dog-Pound
19-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I hope people like O'Keefe and Wood have the patience to stay with the dogs and don't get tempted towards heading off to Gold Coast. You couldn't really blame them if they moved because they weren't getting a run at AFL level despite putting in more than solid performances at VFL level.

comrade
19-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I hope people like O'Keefe and Wood have the patience to stay with the dogs and don't get tempted towards heading off to Gold Coast. You couldn't really blame them if they moved because they weren't getting a run at AFL level despite putting in more than solid performances at VFL level.

There are still 3 definite midfield spots up for grabs - Picken, Ward and Eagleton. I think those spots will be revolving this year, depending on match ups and form.

If O'Keefe, Wood and Reid are good enough, they'll force their way in and stay there.

bornadog
19-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Both 19 years old, plenty time yet.

Cyberdoggie
20-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I also went to the game, and I mostly agree with the reports.

Just a couple of things of note:

* Jarrad Grant is clearly a player but he's not without his faults.
He is very much in and out of games, he can look fantastic and then at times he reminds me of Richo when he cracks the you know what's. In the second half he didn't look interested at times. He copped a slight push in the back where he might of got a knock in the calf. From that moment on he was walking about with his head down and was jumping into contests late. But then something would trigger him to try hard again and he would take a nice grab and slam a tackle into the ground.
I'm also worried about his body and the way he runs.

* Mal Lynch was so cold he barely laid a touch in the first 3 quarters. He showed a little cameo with a run and a couple of shots at goal in the last when the game was over.

* Ayce Cordy is probably growing taller. He was side by side with Skipper in the huddle and was more than a half head taller than him.

* Apart from Minson and Hudson our big men really lack strength. Wight and Skipper have been around long enough and both still don't have any strength in their legs. When you are that tall, and in Skipper's case top heavy, you need leg strength to keep from getting knocked over at every contest. They all look like carrots.

* I though Wight wasn't as bad as he has been in the past. Did a couple of decent things in defence without making any real collossal blunders for once.

* Everitt was also quite good, good long kicking and held is own in defence. Still missing his run and carry that he showed in his first year though. Threw himself into some on-coming leads when he knew he would get crunched as well.

Templeton31
21-04-2009, 02:29 PM
top reports guys. absoloutley terrific. Even with your comments Cyberdoggie I haven't read positive descriptions of a young tall coming through as good as that since Harris-Lake.