PDA

View Full Version : Left foot only

The Coon Dog
17-04-2009, 11:16 PM
It's often said some left footers only use their right foot to stop them falling over.

Just watching Luke Power in action tonight & I thought to myself that I can never ever recall him kicking on his right foot, ever. There was one game at the Dome when he was running away from goal & kicked it with so much of the outside of his left foot it went back towards his own goal Dennis Cometti was moved to comment that it was a 'cut behind square'.

I know Scott Lucas rarely kicks on his right foot (ironically that mark Gary Moorcroft took over Johnno was a courtesy of one of them), Simon Goodwin prefers to turn back so he can use his left foot & Nathan Eagleton is just poo on his right foot, but who else of the left footers is totally dominant on that side?

Conversely, which left footer is adept on his right foot. It's Nathan Brown for me.

hujsh
17-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Which side is Aka's natural?

The Coon Dog
17-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Which side is Aka's natural?

Right.

Sockeye Salmon
18-04-2009, 12:18 AM
I doubt Peter Foster ever kicked with his right foot.

The Coon Dog
18-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I doubt Peter Foster ever kicked with his right foot.
Yeah.

If we go back I'm sure there are hundreds we can get. Maybe easier if we just concentrate on current players; they're supposed to be the most skillful.

dog town
18-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Ben Johnson from Collingwood currently has a broken leg because of his refusal to use his right side. They have 378 development coaches but couldnt stop that happening.

Desipura
18-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Murray Rance was purely a left footer......sorry you mentioned current players, umm have to think about that one

LostDoggy
18-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I can recall reading an article a couple of years ago that stated Hawthorn and us have the most left foot kicks in the competition. What was Monty?

The Coon Dog
18-04-2009, 12:49 PM
What was Monty?

Right.

Good call there dog town on Ben Johnson.

Others I can think off who do everything in their power to avoid kicking right footed are Kade Simpson, Chris Knights, Xavier Ellis, Danyle Pierce, Sam Power & Aaron Davey.

bornadog
18-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Right.

Good call there dog town on Ben Johnson.

Others I can think off who do everything in their power to avoid kicking right footed are Kade Simpson, Chris Knights, Xavier Ellis, Danyle Pierce, Sam Power & Aaron Davey.

I can't remember Luke Hodge kicking right foot, Eagleton rarely, Luke Power,

jitboy
18-04-2009, 12:55 PM
This topic came on that new show on ch1 on Monday night. Matty Lloyd said he is terrible and avoids kicking on his right side, while Hodgey reckons he can do both because practice makes perfect.

ledge
18-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Wouldnt it be more a problem right footers not being able to kick left, or do right footers find it easier to learn left?
I couldnt kick left to save my life but must say handballing i didnt know which was my preferred side as it just popped out whichever side it had to.

I have never really taken any notice of left footers unless its very obvious and commentators state it, i would have thought you would struggle to play AFL nowadays if you couldnt do both to a certain degree
Some players do a big arc when turning is that the sign of a left footer too?

Mantis
18-04-2009, 06:48 PM
I can't remember Luke Hodge kicking right foot, Eagleton rarely, Luke Power,

Kicked a nice goal in the last qtr of todays game off his right.

Clinton Young kicks predominately on his left..... I guess you could say the same thing about most of Hawthorn's left footers.. and they have a few.

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I reckon Stephen Hawking has a better left foot than I do. Perhaps if he was drunk I might give him a good run in a left foot kicking contest...

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Nearly every left footer has a horrible right. There are very few exceptions I believe which are Nathan Brown who was exceptional on his right and Luke Hodge who has a right foot which can be relied upon.

As for myself I trained my left foot up to be useful. I'd kick it on the correct side (on the left wing I'd use my left, also snagged a few goals on my left). The reason was my coach told us that "Use your opposite when you should. I don't care if it dribbles 1m along the ground. I don't care if it gets turned over. I don't care if you miss the shot at goal. If you use it you won't get dragged for it."

I think if all coaches were like that we'd see more youngsters better developed on both feet. Instead we get predicables like Palmer, Rioli, Hill (Freos), Franklin, etc.

But speaking of opposite foots how good was Leon Cameron? Impossible to tell that his preferred was right. He used to do kick outs with his left. You'll never see another player do that again.