PDA

View Full Version : Picken v Ablett

BornInDroopSt'54
18-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Critical to our hopes of beating the field is beating Ablett. Picken's performance so far promises that he can emulate 'the human glove' Dale Morris and negate all his opponents. Can he stop Ablett and thereby pave the way for our destiny with history? If not, who do we have who can curtail him? Do we need to use Ryan Griffen who has proven he can do it?

alwaysadog
18-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Critical to our hopes of beating the field is beating Ablett. Picken's performance so far promises that he can emulate 'the human glove' Dale Morris and negate all his opponents. Can he stop Ablett and thereby pave the way for our destiny with history? If not, who do we have who can curtail him? Do we need to use Ryan Griffen who has proven he can do it?

It's a big call to ask of a 2 game player, though if he is still around when we play the cats I'm sure he'll get aturn. I don't think Ryan G will get the job; he is used as an impact player on for short bursts at top speed and then back to the bench.

I think we will use a variety of players, like we did with Richo, depending on the role Ablett is playing.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-04-2009, 11:07 PM
It is a big call, but big things are needed to go alll the way. Picken in his only two games has claimed no less than Harvey and Delidio as his scalps. Both are very fast, clever and skillful players as is Ablett. Griffen is used as a burst player but given the importance of Ablett to our greatest threat for the premiership, and Griffen's past performance on him (remember the brilliant shimmy that left Ablett flatfooted, and Ryan's "I think Geelong underestimated us") there is an argument for using Griff on Ablett if he is damaging against us.

The Underdog
18-04-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't think Picken is anywhere near strong enough for Ablett. I like the idea of using Griffen on him as he's probably the only guy in our midfield who has the core strength to compete with him in a clearance. Ablett also pays his opponent little mind so potentially could be exploited by Griffen going the other way. It will probably be a case of a few players rotating through. I'm not sure you can really stop him getting the ball. He really is a special player.
I think our hopes rest with creating really good pressure on the Cats through the midfield. Their forward structure is suspect and currently relies on their midfield run and the genius of Johnson, Chapman and Ablett to create goals. I don't think their backline looks as good this year without Harley so far. Taylor is a mid level key back who can be exploited.

AndrewP6
18-04-2009, 11:18 PM
I agree with Underdog... good as Picken has been, and could be, I don't think he can go with Ablett just yet -if ever... I think a run of players will rotate...if only Daniel Southern could come back, clean him up, then disappear!

boydogs
18-04-2009, 11:24 PM
It might take a few players through the game including boyd, cross, griffen and picken. Geelong are using him in the forward line too so you may have stumbled across part of the answer in Dale Morris.

But I don't think that its stop ablett stop Geelong given the number of All Australians in their side, everyone has to perform and perform for four quarters. We were in front early in the 2008 prelim but then let them kick six of the next seven. We have had poor periods in all three games this year (Freo Q3, North Q3/4, Richmond Q1) I hope we can eliminate from our game as I think we do have a chance

Remember aswell you don't have to beat ablett, just get cooney or griffen to beat their opponent more. This fab four talk at Carlton, I would put up Boyd, Cross, Cooney and Griffen with Gia, Higgins, Eagleton and Picken behind them as the best and most flexible midfield right now

hujsh
18-04-2009, 11:51 PM
It might take a few players through the game including boyd, cross, griffen and picken. Geelong are using him in the forward line too so you may have stumbled across part of the answer in Dale Morris.

For me that's a big reason why i wouldn't have Picken on him. He has looked good with his hands up forward in contested situations and on the lead

bornadog
19-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Lets see how he goes against Kerr before we think he is a world beater. Its early days yet for Picken and he may not play every game if he is just going to be a tagger. He needs to eventually find another bow to his string.

AndrewP6
19-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Lets see how he goes against Kerr before we think he is a world beater. Its early days yet for Picken and he may not play every game if he is just going to be a tagger. He needs to eventually find another bow to his string.

String to his bow??

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I agree with Underdog... good as Picken has been, and could be, I don't think he can go with Ablett just yet -if ever... I think a run of players will rotate...if only Daniel Southern could come back, clean him up, then disappear!

Here here, bring back Danny!

Although he might need to add another quiver to his arrows...:o

dog town
19-04-2009, 11:34 AM
He has tagged genuine outside players so far. It will be a far harder job for him against guys who win the footy in there own right.

bornadog
19-04-2009, 03:28 PM
String to his bow??

whoops:o

BornInDroopSt'54
17-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Long see no time. I love a good malapropism.
Well it's time, and Picken will no doubt get a guernsey, and may well end up on Ablett. Gloves come in pairs and I reckon Picken is Morris' pair. Hope he can put the stoppers on baldy-gun-son-of-a-gun-brother-of-he-who-I'd-like-at-the-dogs-but-is-too-shy.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I think we'll see a tag team tag of Ablett, a bit like we did with Judd. Boyd goes in with Ablett in the clearances and Picken around the ground.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Steve Johnson is another option for Picken. He is spending more time in the midfield and is proving very damaging.

BulldogBelle
17-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Although slow and somewhat out of form, Gia did quite well on Ablett in the prelim last year

Think Gia is better suited to the midfield rather than a full-time forward

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Although slow and somewhat out of form, Gia did quite well on Ablett in the prelim last year

With Bobby out, we really need Gia and his workrate around HF.

Mofra
17-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Steve Johnson is another option for Picken. He is spending more time in the midfield and is proving very damaging.
He is, I wonder whether Picken could go with him overhead though.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-05-2009, 01:51 PM
The thing about Picken is that in using him as a tagger, we're not sacrificing someone that can be creative or can do a different job elsewhere like Boyd, Griffen, Gia or Harbrow.

The Underdog
17-05-2009, 02:03 PM
The thing about Picken is that in using him as a tagger, we're not sacrificing someone that can be creative or can do a different job elsewhere like Boyd, Griffen, Gia or Harbrow.

But are we sacrificing a spot in the team that could be taken by someone who is more creative and can do different jobs? As good as Picken has been (yesterday excepted) he is definitely a single role player atm. I'm sure he'll stay in for a tagging role next week probably on Johnson or Chapman but I don't have great confidence he can beat either. He shouldn't be put up against Ablett.

dog town
17-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Steve Johnson is another option for Picken. He is spending more time in the midfield and is proving very damaging. Hargrave did a fantastic job in the final last year and is basically the only player to have beaten Johnson in his last 20 games. If Hargrave is fit then I would go for him again unless he is spending most of his time in the center square.

A lot depends on how Mooney goes with the MRP because if he is out then it gives us a bit of flexibility with our match ups as well.

I think we will probably try and hurt Ablett the other way. In fact I think we will try that type of thing with all of the cats main ball winners. I hope Griffen doesnt get the stand alone job on Ablett. The difference between the two players work rates is hemispheres apart.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Hargrave did a fantastic job in the final last year and is basically the only player to have beaten Johnson in his last 20 games. If Hargrave is fit then I would go for him again unless he is spending most of his time in the center square.

A lot depends on how Mooney goes with the MRP because if he is out then it gives us a bit of flexibility with our match ups as well.

I think we will probably try and hurt Ablett the other way. In fact I think we will try that type of thing with all of the cats main ball winners. I hope Griffen doesnt get the stand alone job on Ablett. The difference between the two players work rates is hemispheres apart.

Agree with that. Shaggy has been fantastic on small forwards in the last year or so. I actually saw him today while having a coffee (he picked Provisions over Pickle Barrel, very disappointing) and he was lagging behind his partner and an older lady, perhaps her mother, as they were strolling.

LostDoggy
17-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Agree with that. Shaggy has been fantastic on small forwards in the last year or so. I actually saw him today while having a coffee (he picked Provisions over Pickle Barrel, very disappointing) and he was lagging behind his partner and an older lady, perhaps her mother, as they were strolling.

I too prefer Provisions on the Pickel Barrel in Williamstown.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2009, 10:15 PM
I too prefer Provisions on the Pickel Barrel in Williamstown.

Boo to you!

Julia Gillard was at Pickle Barel today, as was Bracksy last week. Provisions would be lucky to get a local councilor.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-05-2009, 11:20 PM

I too would presume it was her mother, unless it was her parole officer.

Desipura
18-05-2009, 09:56 AM

You have got to be kidding, when Ablett takes 2 steps, he will be 2 metres ahead of him!

Desipura
18-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Boo to you!

Julia Gillard was at Pickle Barel today, as was Bracksy last week. Provisions would be lucky to get a local councilor.
MMM Pickel Barrel, love the mediterranean rolls!