LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Minson, doesn't do enough.

Scorlibo
19-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I'd say IN: Welsh, Murphy, Cooney OUT: Harbrow, Ward, Tiller

AndrewP6
19-04-2009, 08:15 PM
If Murphy and Cooney are fit, they're in.

Out - Ward, Tiller.

God help us if Murph and Coons aren't good to go.

comrade
19-04-2009, 08:17 PM
If you were basing changes on today's game, you'd put a line through half the team.

The Adelaide Connection
19-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Apparently Eade said this morning that Cooney could be a couple away.

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Ward has been one of the better ones today.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Ins: Murphy and O'Keefe
Out: Hahn, Aker (think he will go for a tripping charge in match review)

If Aker somehow is not suspended, then Eagleton gets the chop.

GVGjr
19-04-2009, 08:26 PM
To an extended squad I'd consider adding Callan, Everitt, Welsh, O'Keefe and Skipper and I'd look seriously at dropping Harbrow, Addison, Tiller and maybe Picken (who has more than done his job) and there might be an injury out of the game.

Giansiracusa wouldn't want to back up with another effort like today.

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 08:30 PM
There won't be any big changes for next week, it never happens at the Bulldogs.

They will probably rotate the same players in & out, like most weeks.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Forgot about Harbrow, he was disappointing today.

Has Welsh had enough match fitness behind him to rush him in along with Murph?
I'd be concerned with risking two underdone guys coming back against a Carlton team that is going to go in hard and quick.

G-Mo77
19-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Not surprised to see so many people have Tiller being dropped :rolleyes:

I think Aker will be rubbed out for his trip. He has carry over points from the North game so I think he'll be gone.

Cooney will miss again, wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy sit another week as well.

In: Welsh, Aker (Susp?)
Out: Harborw, O'Keefe

Maybe Grant in as a roughie.

GVGjr
19-04-2009, 08:37 PM
N

You got a couple of these around the wrong way?

Happy Days
19-04-2009, 08:37 PM

I think Aker will be rubbed out for his trip. He has carry over points from the North game so I think he'll be gone.

Cooney will miss again, wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy sit another week as well.

Bit stiff on O'Keefe there mate.

In: Welsh, O'Keefe, Murph (if fit)
Out: Harbow, Stevie T; then if Murph plays - Aker (if suspended), Hahn (if Aker gets off)

It's a bit stiff on Hahn, but he hasn't done anything since round 1.

G-Mo77
19-04-2009, 08:39 PM
LOL

Still a bit steamed up after losing that. :D

I'll try again after a few deep breathes

In: Welsh, O'Keefe
Out: Harbrow, Aker (Susp?)

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Would you call that a clanger post? :D

G-Mo77
19-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I think you could Dex. ;)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Would you call that a clanger post? :D

at least he redeemed himself with a solid second effort:D

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 08:44 PM
That's it, you're getting dropped to the VFL!

But back on topic (before I get yelled at).

I'm on the Grant bandwagon and one of the younger midfielders, O"keefe, Wood and Reid has to be a good chance to debut next week.

AndrewP6
19-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Ward has been one of the better ones today.

When? He did a few good things, but didn't do enough to keep a spot in a losing side....

azabob
19-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Forgot about Harbrow, he was disappointing today.

Has Welsh had enough match fitness behind him to rush him in along with Murph?
I'd be concerned with risking two underdone guys coming back against a Carlton team that is going to go in hard and quick.

I wouldn't think Welsh would be match fit as he didn't play yesterday. I think some posters are thinking Welsh may be better than he really is, that normally happens when a player hasn't played for a while.

bulldog
In Everitt OKeefe Murphy Callan to play on Betts
Out Aker susp Harbrow Tiller No match up for stevie Ward Would be unlucky

GVGjr
At the moment there isn't a lot of love for a Tim Callan recall. I'm guessing that he will be one of the first players Eade looks to add.

lemmon
19-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't think Welsh would be match fit as he didn't play yesterday. I think some posters are thinking Welsh may be better than he really is, that normally happens when a player hasn't played for a while.

Kicked 40 odd goals last year I wouldnt mind having that back in the team

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-04-2009, 08:49 PM
At the moment there isn't a lot of love for a Tim Callan recall. I'm guessing that he will be one of the first players Eade looks to add.

Maybe a straight swap for Harbrow?

AndrewP6
19-04-2009, 08:50 PM

One of the WC players was penalised, according to the monkey...sorry, umpire!... because "you tripped him"....but the book never came out for that one....so who knows what they'll say about Aker...

LostDoggy
Addison was quiet too...

GVGjr
Maybe a straight swap for Harbrow?

Thats what I think will happen.

AndrewP6
19-04-2009, 08:52 PM

oops kinda forgot Timmy Callan... strong, hard at the ball... perhaps an in for next week.

AndrewP6
19-04-2009, 08:53 PM

Me neither... posters here don't seem keen on him at all.

bulldogtragic
In Everitt OKeefe Murphy Callan to play on Betts
Out Aker susp Harbrow Tiller No match up for stevie Ward Would be unlucky

I agree 100%. Everitt can't do much more than he is, Tiller kicks out on the full more reguarly than i have seen for some time.

But if they give Murphy another week then bring in Welsh. With Carlton's lack of backline, maybe a good time to give Grant a game if Murphy isn't Cherry ripe. Play Murphy forwards at WIlly and let Johno take the best defender and give Grant a go. His form has been good?

lemmon
Addison was quiet too...

Hes got credits, safe for a few weeks at least. Anyway hes one of our more important players with his hardness and courage.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Aker will get a week for tripping when his carry over points from his sort arse bump two weeks ago.

The way the MC go, i'd say Picken could get a week too. Shouldn't though, it was one of the best bumps for some years in the AFL. An old style footballer, i'm falling for him....

AndrewP6
19-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Revised my ins and outs...didn't realise Rocket had said Cooney could miss again. If he and Murph are out, we're in trouble I think. I'll try again -
IN - Callan, Welsh
OUT - Tiller, Ward.

azabob
19-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Fair call about Welsh, but is he Match Fit? I wouldn't have thought so.

lemmon
19-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Fair call about Welsh, but is he Match Fit? I wouldn't have thought so.

Has played a few practice matches if my memory serves me correctly but it may be a concern. He doesnt really rely on his running capacity too much though and is normally in the forward 50 so could probably get through.

bornadog
19-04-2009, 09:27 PM
In : Welsh, Murphy, O'Keefe

Out: Eagelton (disgraceful exhibition of kicking), Harbrow, Ward or Aker of suspended

Cooney may need another week.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2009, 09:31 PM
One of Welsh/Grant simply have to play.

Our forward structure failed bad and was poor against North Melbourne too. Disapponinted we didn't include Welsh this week as we are lacking some goal kickers and class up forward.

Minson hasn't done much so far this year and IMO needs to be sent back. Skipper has been working hard and deserves to be rewarded. He's a better mark, kick and option up forward anyway than Big Will. Carlton don't have any star rucks so I think Skipper would be fine.

I think Ward has been a bit sluggish and probably needs a couple of games back at Williamstown to find more of the ball etc. He's done OK but he's not having much of an impact on games at the moment.

Tiller has turned the football over too much this year already, he shouldn't be playing next week.

IN: Welsh/Grant, Everitt, Skipper, O'Keefe
OUT: Minson, Tiller, Ward, Aker (Susp.)

The Coon Dog
19-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm surprised for those calling for Callan Ward to be dropped. I thought he might have been in the gun a few weeks back but today I thought he wasn't too bad. I reckon there were about 10 you would drop before Cal on today's form.

I think Harbrow will struggle to hold his spot, Aker to get a 1 match holiday courtesy of the MRP & Eagleton to get some touch back at Willy.

Tim Callan, Andrejs Everitt & Scott Welsh to come in.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Callan is probably a decent chance to be included. If he does, will it be for Tiller's expense? What talls do Carlton have up forward besides Fevola? Waite is an option, but none spring to mind so perhaps with Lake/Williams/Morris we can afford to bring in a small to replace Tiller.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm surprised for those calling for Callan Ward to be dropped. I thought he might have been in the gun a few weeks back but today I thought he wasn't too bad. I reckon there were about 10 you would drop before Cal on today's form.

I think Harbrow will struggle to hold his spot, Aker to get a 1 match holiday courtesy of the MRP & Eagleton to get some touch back at Willy.

Tim Callan, Andrejs Everitt & Scott Welsh to come in.

If Aker, Harbrow and Eagleton are all dropped then we'd need some more running power to replace them. Especially against Carlton.

If we go in with a lockdown defender and two talls then we haven't got much of a midfield - particularly with Cooney still out.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2009, 09:39 PM
By the way - Murphy shouldn't play.

People are worried about Welsh's fitness? Murph's not even played a full game this YEAR. He needs at least another 2 weeks under his belt before coming back IMO. From all reports he didn't get a hell of a lot of game time on the weekend either.

It'd be silly to include him.

Super 27
19-04-2009, 09:40 PM
One of Welsh/Grant simply have to play.

Our forward structure failed bad and was poor against North Melbourne too. Disapponinted we didn't include Welsh this week as we are lacking some goal kickers and class up forward.

Minson hasn't done much so far this year and IMO needs to be sent back. Skipper has been working hard and deserves to be rewarded. He's a better mark, kick and option up forward anyway than Big Will. Carlton don't have any star rucks so I think Skipper would be fine.

I think Ward has been a bit sluggish and probably needs a couple of games back at Williamstown to find more of the ball etc. He's done OK but he's not having much of an impact on games at the moment.

Tiller has turned the football over too much this year already, he shouldn't be playing next week.

IN: Welsh/Grant, Everitt, Skipper, O'Keefe
OUT: Minson, Tiller, Ward, Aker (Susp.)

Watch the first 10 minutes of last weeks 4th qtr against Richmond.

In. Welsh, Everitt
Out: Tiller, Harbrow

Dogs 24/7
19-04-2009, 09:40 PM
The changes are somewhat cosmetic

In - Callan, Everitt and O'Keefe
Out - Harbrow, Tiller and Ward

Add Ward back into the side if we lose Akermanis.

wb_age
19-04-2009, 09:42 PM
For those calling for Callan to come back into the side, based on form I think Everitt deserves to be considered first.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Watch the first 10 minutes of last weeks 4th qtr against Richmond.

In. Welsh, Everitt
Out: Tiller, Harbrow

So 10 minutes of football against the worst side in the competition is enough to hold his spot? Not for mine. He gives nothing up forward and has done nothing around the ground either. Skipepr has been performing very well - he should be given an opportunity based on Will's lack of form.

The Coon Dog
19-04-2009, 09:44 PM
For those calling for Callan to come back into the side, based on form I think Everitt deserves to be considered first.

Everitt isn't the sort who can take an Eddie Betts though.

ledge
19-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Everitt isn't the sort who can take an Eddie Betts though.

He can if we keep the ball above four foot in the air!

BulldogBelle
19-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Morris to Fev

Shaggy to Betts

In: Grant (alt Welsh if fit), O'Keefe, Everitt and either Murphy (if fit- or Reid)

Out: Aker (if susp), Tiller, Harbrow and Eagle

Dogs 24/7
19-04-2009, 09:50 PM
He can if we keep the ball above four foot in the air!

You're quite the comedian tonight. I don't think I have read one serious post from you.

Mantis
19-04-2009, 09:52 PM
You're quite the comedian tonight. I don't think I have read one serious post from you.

I don't take any of his posts seriously..... but thats's just me.;)

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Why do so many people want Ward to be dropped? I think Eagleton was terrible today and deserves to go before Ward.
I don't think we should panic too much; I would like to see Grant get in ahead of Welsh. Interesting week coming up.

GVGjr
19-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Why do so many people want Ward to be dropped? I think Eagleton was terrible today and deserves to go before Ward.
I don't think we should panic too much; I would like to see Grant get in ahead of Welsh. Interesting week coming up.
I think we should stick with Ward because he can use the ball so well but having said that there is a few of his team mates breathing down his neck at the moment.

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 09:59 PM
I think we need to 'take a stand' in a way (not that i like the term) but drop experienced players due to performances..like it has already been mentioned when was the last time we dropped Eagleton? Cant remember..but he was one of the shockers today, along with Tiller and Harbrow...change the team up a bit, and give another young player a go..whether it be a Grant or O'Keefe..cant take Carlton lightly, look at what happened last year :S

Rocco Jones
19-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Guys I know it was a poor display but a 6 day break + WA trip + coming off a WA trip in round 1 + hot weather + a ground that punishes tired less like no other + having arguably our best 2 players out = reason for me to give them a bit more of a go before I write us off as pretenders.

Dogs 24/7
19-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Guys I know it was a poor display but a 6 day break + WA trip + coming off a WA trip in round 1 + hot weather + a ground that punishes tired less like no other + having arguably our best 2 players out = reason for me to give them a bit more of a go before I write us off as pretenders.

I agree but there will be a couple of changes. We must bounce back though because good teams do.

Mantis
19-04-2009, 10:11 PM

Obviously the team needs to be 're-charged' as reports seem to have me believe we were flat today. How do we go about doing that?

Rocco Jones
19-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I agree but there will be a couple of changes. We must bounce back though because good teams do.

No doubts. I think Eagle has worked hard this season but he is definitely very vulnerable against quality opposition and is shocking under pressure. I really hope he can be forced out of the 22 come September.

Rance Fan
19-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Out - Eagleton,Tiller,Minson, Aker (susp)
In - Callan, Grant, Skipper, Reid/O'Keefe, Murphy, Everitt.....

Oh take ya pick dependant on match ups

Rocco Jones
19-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Obviously the team needs to be 're-charged' as reports seem to have me believe we were flat today. How do we go about doing that?

I definitely agree we need to make changes, just don't think the performance says that much about our premiership chances.

We really struggled to generate any run, often bombing long to Hill and Johnno who were monstered by Glass when deep. If we are that flat when we actually have a semi-decent lead up to a game then I will be very worried.

We really miss Bobby as a lead up target, especially when we lack a KP forward. We desperately need a fit Bobby if we are going to challenge. Cooney is obviously a massive out. On top of having our best midfielder out, it means that Griff has to cop the opposition's best stopper.

I would be playing Welsh/Grant if Bobby isn't right next week and Callan seems like a good match for Betts. As I mentioned last week, I think Minson's spot should be under pressure if Skipper keeps on playing well in the VFL. Will really isn't up to it forward which hurts when Hudson can only play in the ruck.

Tiller was his usual competitive but kick it on the full everytime he kicked it self. He is the type of player I would play only if match ups suit and I don't see one against the Blues.

Reid, Wood and O'Keefe would have to be the mix. I would be looking for any excuse to play fresher legs to help our running depth coming off the WA trip.

Rocket Science
19-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Neither Ward nor Tiller should be on the chopping block after today...they weren't scintillating, but they weren't our undoing either. We should be dealing with those who were.

There's been much banging-on about our newfound 'depth' lately...perhaps this is an optimum point to put that to the test and demonstrate loudly and clearly what's expected of senior players on a team with lofty ambitions, and the consequences of slacking off.

Mantis
19-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Neither Ward nor Tiller should be on the chopping block after today...they weren't scintillating, but they weren't our undoing either. We should be dealing with those who were.

There's been much banging-on about our newfound 'depth' lately...perhaps this is an optimum point to put that to the test and demonstrate loudly and clearly what's expected of senior players on a team with lofty ambitions, and the consequences of slacking off.

For someone who didn't watch much of the game they were?

Sedat
19-04-2009, 11:07 PM
I missed today's game and very glad I did by the sounds.

If it's horses for courses, I'd have thought Callan would be a shoe-in to get Betts this week.

LostDoggy
19-04-2009, 11:10 PM
I would say either Minson or Hudson need to be rested, Skipper has earned a recall and it will be a HUGE test on Wayde. It's pretty much make or break for him when he gets a call up.

Aker will either be rested or suspended, opening up a return for Tim Callan to the backline.

Harbrow didn't do anything special, it could be a close call whether a "small" gets dropped for a "big" like Grant.

I reckon Grant does deserves a crack next round.

Especially with Cooney and Murphy not in any shape to come back, Grant is required as THE target up forward, without the reliance on Hill and Johnson.

Is there any kind of betting on Eagleton being dropped for next game? I'm sure lots of people on this site will lose some money :D

AndrewP6
19-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Quite a few who have called for Skipper to return... to me, the number of games he's played recently is a fair indication of the views held by Rocket and Co. Can't help but think we'd need some injury woes for him to get in. He's been round a fair while now, and in recent seasons hasn't done much at all in the Dogs side. Some players are good in the VFL but can't make the jump. I personally wouldn't take Minson or Hudson out for Skipper.

Rocket Science
19-04-2009, 11:19 PM
The truth is I'd have a hard time reaching double-figures if pressed to name blokes who earned their keep today.

That's over half the side who won't be enjoying their weekly performance review from the coaches, but you clearly can't drop 'em all, and nor should you. Some players have more rope than others, some of those blokes aren't habitual offenders, and some are still learning on the job.

Losses like today's should bring consequences (unless it's Tigerland of course), so for me, it's time your boy Eagleton was shown in no unclear terms, that his place in the team correlates directly with his performance level on game day.

I'd also be closely examining Minson's place in the team. In many respects when he's out there it's like we're playing a man short. In fact, we could probably get a medium-sized tree to play the same role Minson does...it'd be no less mobile and my childhood memories of footy's habitually stuck in branches lead me to suspect it'd probably take more grabs.

They're both easy targets I suppose, (though I sadly suspect neither's spot will be in serious jeapordy for next week), but that's my 2 cents.

Rocco Jones
19-04-2009, 11:22 PM
For someone who didn't watch much of the game they were?

Gian really struggled to get into it. Spent a heap of time on the bench during the 2nd half.

Eagleton's workrate was OK but his disposal was absolutely awful.

Addison, Ward and especially Harbrow struggled.

Hahn was very ordinary imo. I love him but he can probably put in 10 shockers in a row and not get pressure from the fans such is the love for his type.

Minson was poor imo, if there's a valuable pinch hitting forward in him, I don't see it.

Sedat
19-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Hahn was very ordinary imo. I love him but he can probably put in 10 shockers in a row and not get pressure from the fans such is the love for his type.

Minson was poor imo, if there's a valuable pinch hitting forward in him, I don't see it.
Save for a purple patch late in Round 1, Hahn has been decidedly average all season thus far. We need his type in our structure, but we can't carry a player for too long that simply isn't contributing. To me he looks lost without Murphy riding shotgun alongside him up forward.

By all accounts our ruck division was smashed to pieces this week as well. I thought Minson was OK in rounds 2 and 3 but his primary role in the team is 2nd ruckman so if he's not performing in this role, his place in the team should be looked at down the track as well.

The Pie Man
19-04-2009, 11:28 PM
The truth is I'd have a hard time reaching double-figures if pressed to name blokes who earned their keep today.

That's over half the side who won't be enjoying their weekly performance review from the coaches, but you clearly can't drop 'em all, and nor should you. Some players have more rope than others, some of those blokes aren't habitual offenders, and some are still learning on the job.

Losses like today's should bring consequences (unless it's Tigerland of course), so for me, it's time your boy Eagleton was shown in no unclear terms, that his place in the team correlates directly with his performance level on game day.

I'd also be closely examining Minson's place in the team. In many respects when he's out there it's like we're playing a man short. In fact, we could probably get a medium-sized tree to play the same role Minson does...it'd be no less mobile and my childhood memories of footy's habitually stuck in branches lead me to suspect it'd probably take more grabs.

They're both easy targets I suppose, (though I sadly suspect neither's spot will be in serious jeapordy for next week), but that's my 2 cents.

Rocket was talking him up in an interview with the Fox Sports crew just before the game, saying his ruckwork in support of Hudson had been good so far this year. He did ok in the ruck today, but gave us very little around the ground or up forward.

But if he was dropped, he'd be dropped for Skip. I'd rather J Grant come in, but Skip would get the nod you feel. I doubt either is an option in reality

Wil's mits still aren't working are they?

The Pie Man
19-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Save for a purple patch late in Round 1, Hahn has been decidedly average all season thus far. We need his type in our structure, but we can't carry a player for too long that simply isn't contributing. To me he looks lost without Murphy riding shotgun alongside him up forward.

By all accounts our ruck division was smashed to pieces this week as well. I thought Minson was OK in rounds 2 and 3 but his primary role in the team is 2nd ruckman so if he's not performing in this role, his place in the team should be looked at down the track as well.

It was interesting that Eade went with Hahn in the backline in the last quarter, I think it shows he's losing patience.

Rocket Science
19-04-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm at the stage where I'd happily sacrifice half an hour of serviceable ruck relief for Huddo, for a bloke who might be lousy in the ruck but can provide something, anything, around the ground for the remaining 90 minutes.

Can't say I'm overly enamoured with the prospect of Skipper back in the team though.

All I can say is I hope the club have studied traditional foie gras making methods and are adopting the same forcefeeding techniques with Cordy and Roughead, only involving steaks instead.

Rocco Jones
19-04-2009, 11:37 PM

Yeah and the purple patch was mainly during junk time. I have had doubts over how many years we will get out of Hahn for awhile. The crash and bash style he plays is always going to have a toll on his body.

boydogs
19-04-2009, 11:40 PM
In fact, we could probably get a medium-sized tree to play the same role Minson does...it'd be no less mobile and my childhood memories of footy's habitually stuck in branches lead me to suspect it'd probably take more grabs.

In: Medium-sized tree (actually maybe Skipper), Cooney, Murphy, Welsh
Out: Minson, Eagleton, Harbrow, Akermanis (susp)

If Welsh is not fit then bring in Grant
If Murphy is not fit then keep Harbrow in
If Cooney is not fit then keep Eagleton in
If Akermanis is not suspended then drop Hahn

Rocket Science
19-04-2009, 11:41 PM
It was interesting that Eade went with Hahn in the backline in the last quarter, I think it shows he's losing patience.

With the backline (who, while not saying a lot, I felt were perhaps our best performed unit today)...or with our forward set-up?

If the latter, it may bode well for a certain debutant at FF next week.

lemmon
20-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Wouldnt drop Minson or Hudson yet, there physicality, strength and toughness could really intimidate and test young Kreuzer and Jacobs.

BulldogBelle
20-04-2009, 12:43 AM
HAHN

Think Hahn is always going to struggle when he is the KPP in our forward line

He is best suited to ground level contests when he can take the ball on the volley or when he can bulldoze the opposition, especially when he is close to goal

Think without other key targets in Murphy and Welsh he struggles when he gets one of the better defenders on him

Grant could definetely play the lead up role that Murphy has in the past, hence also assisting Hahn

MINSON

Will at times spiked the ball forwards in the ruck contest 20 meters to our advantage, which was a positive, but he did little else all day

He played an OK match against Richmond, so I wouldnt be writing him off just yet

He can needs to hold a grab....how hard can it be??????

boydogs
20-04-2009, 01:38 AM
HAHN

Think Hahn is always going to struggle when he is the KPP in our forward line

He is best suited to ground level contests when he can take the ball on the volley or when he can bulldoze the opposition, especially when he is close to goal

Think without other key targets in Murphy and Welsh he struggles when he gets one of the better defenders on him

Grant could definetely play the lead up role that Murphy has in the past, hence also assisting Hahn

MINSON

Will at times spiked the ball forwards in the ruck contest 20 meters to our advantage, which was a positive, but he did little else all day

He played an OK match against Richmond, so I wouldnt be writing him off just yet

He can needs to hold a grab....how hard can it be??????

Tend to agree, but:

- Bringing in Grant/Welsh/Murphy to help Hahn, someone(s) need to make room - from our starting forward line this week I would put Johnson, Higgins, Hill and Aker ahead this year so far

- Having a ruckman that can double as a tall forward line marking target is very important to us without a Fevola, Brown etc., particularly on days like today when the midfielders are under pressure having to just kick long to a contest

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 02:29 AM
If we persist in playing a short, quick forward line we need to add some class to the midfield, so we can hit targets and work our way through the zone. Okeefe has to come in, even if he plays mainly in the forward line and releases Higgins or Aker for extended periods in the middle.
We have too many players who arn't great kicks/decision makers eg Addison,Tiller,Cross,Picken,Williams,Tim Callan(when fit).

Time to play young Grant.

Hairy Albert
20-04-2009, 07:59 AM
If you were basing changes on today's game, you'd put a line through half the team.
I agree comrade, they looked too hot to be bothered. Wholesale changes will not help the team, Maybe give Eagleton a rest for Grant, and maybe Wood for Aker, ( If he gets done for the trip)

mjp
20-04-2009, 09:25 AM
There's been much banging-on about our newfound 'depth' lately...

But our depth is a myth...we have a bunch of kids - none of whom have played more than a handful of games - who we are excited about.

I admit, it is better to see Reid, Wood and O'Keefe (and others) knocking up getting the ball at Willi than Faulkner not getting a kick and Brad Murphy skirting round the outside of contests, but they are still kids who haven't proven a thing.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 09:36 AM
They can't prove a thing, if they're not given a chance.....chicken and the egg kind of thing.

bornadog
20-04-2009, 10:19 AM
They can't prove a thing, if they're not given a chance.....chicken and the egg kind of thing.

You can't bring them all in at once. First gamers, one at a time.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 10:57 AM
You can bring them in to soon when they are not ready to step up and do more damage than good. I don't know if our game against Carlton is the best game to blood new players.
I would hope that Welsh is back this week, not sure about Cooney or Murphy, maybe a couple of games in Williamstown would be a better option take the pressure off them to perform when they are still recuperating. We have managed to win 3 out of 4 games without them, and after all one game does not make a season.

ledge
20-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I have a lot more sympathy for Tiller, i think he is holding his own on any forward at the moment, admittedly his kicking out on the full is a problem but he is quicker than Everitt and seems to have more strength.
Yesterday wasnt a good game to judge any backline player as the Eagles midfield was pretty much doing what they wanted once they got it.
In AFL once a player leads and the deliverer has time its pretty much all over.

Sockeye Salmon
20-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a lot more sympathy for Tiller, i think he is holding his own on any forward at the moment, admittedly his kicking out on the full is a problem but he is quicker than Everitt and seems to have more strength.
Yesterday wasnt a good game to judge any backline player as the Eagles midfield was pretty much doing what they wanted once they got it.
In AFL once a player leads and the deliverer has time its pretty much all over.

Tiller needs the confidence to go for his marks when the times right. Twice he went for the spoil when he was the only player capable of marking it.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Tiller needs the confidence to go for his marks when the times right. Twice he went for the spoil when he was the only player capable of marking it.

He's got a leap on him.. worth a punt up forward? Will at least add some defensive toughness to the forward 50 with Hahn and Will seemingly unable to get to enough contests to stop the easy rebound and Hill too easily pushed out of it.

Sedat
20-04-2009, 12:09 PM
What are we currently lacking? The lead up forward - that would be Murphy (if deemed match fit enough and over his knee injury) with Jarrad Grant the next in line. We are also currently lacking a small defender who can close down the small forward - hello Tim Callan. I think we are also lacking one extra midfield option - Sam Reid is obviously knocking down the door but his sameness to the collective of Cross/Boyd/Picken/Ward (ie: in and under, not overly quick, not elite by foot), places extra pressure on our genuine ball carriers like Gilbee and Griffen - if these two get sat on, our ability to hurt the opposition by foot is greatly diminished. It also means, rightly or wrongly, that Eagle is deemed to be required to provide run and carry (I'm trying to think like the match commitee). Who else will run and carry the ball if Gilbee and Griffen are well held and Cooney is out? Then there are the directly substitutional possibilities, players out of form who are replaced by the same types. ie: Skipper for Minson, that will be considered - Hahn is on thin ice but there are no real options in the two's to directly replace him. Then there are the factors out of our control - Picken and Aker coming under MRP scrutiny. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the unlucky chook lotto numbers come up for both - nothing would surprise me when it comes to the MRP. Then there is the cumulative fatigue factor from the first 4 rounds - a combination of 2 trips to Perth, one wet slog in the elements, and two warm to hot game days in the last 2 weeks - that alone will necessitate a couple of changes to the line-up.

None of the above factors in the opposition and how they will potentially line up, so I'd imagine this week's match commitee selection meeting will be very interesting and quite difficult. I hope Murphy and Cooney are given consideration for the entire 2009 season, and if there is any doubt on either of them to be able to run out the game on Sunday then they should not be rushed back into the line-up.

Mantis
20-04-2009, 01:09 PM
^^^

That's a pretty good wrap-up and as you discussed it will be an interesting week at selection.

From my perspective factor's to be taken into account would be:

1. Are Murphy & Cooney ready to come back in? Reports read that Murf probably needs another game at Willi. We need him to play the lead up role and not the floating role across HB he played in the 2's.

2. Who needs a rest? The recovery sessions will show this up.

3. What to do with our forward structure? Johnson hasn't been as effective up forward, Minson & Hahn aren't having an influence. Gia was apparantely poor yesterday and hasn't been that great in the last couple either. Bit of an indictment that Hill & Higgins look to be our 'go to' forwards.

4. Run through the middle is lacking as is our delivery in the forward half. Do we need to see some fresh faces?

Plenty of good signs so far, but we have a few tough games coming up which will give us a better indication to where we sit.

azabob
20-04-2009, 01:19 PM
He's got a leap on him.. worth a punt up forward? Will at least add some defensive toughness to the forward 50 with Hahn and Will seemingly unable to get to enough contests to stop the easy rebound and Hill too easily pushed out of it.

Tiller up forward? They tried that late 2007 and IMO it worked. For the life of me Im not sure why they didn't continue with it in 2008. I have a feeling Welsh took his spot. I think he would do extremely well up forward, he leads well and is an ok mark. Start him from the goal sqare and see what happens.
I've been on that bandwagon since the start of 2008, but what do I or we know?

Sedat
20-04-2009, 01:24 PM
One player I forgot to mention was Wood - he is apparently in good form for Willy and he is one player that possesses the tools to provide some rebound drive off half back, giving the likes of Gilbee and Griffen a much needed chop-out. Willy watchers will be better able to tell the rest of us if they think Wood is ready to take the next step yet.

Desipura
20-04-2009, 01:28 PM
In: Cooney, Callan, O'Keefe
Out: Harbrow, Tiller, Eagleton

If Aker or Picken are rubbed out:
Aker to be replaced by Welsh
Picken to be replaced by Reid

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Out:
Hahn; watched him closely at the game, he is not bringing the physicality or defensive pressure that he is included for, didn’t get to that many contests, only turns up when the midfield are running dominent i.e. if not spoon fed, he might as not as well be there. He needs to get back to chasing tail.
Acker: Either through suspension or for a rest.
In:
Everitt: Tiller to move to CHF to cover loss of Hahn, Everitt to cover Tiller down back.
Reid: As we got smaked in clearances yesterday.

Mantis
20-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Out:
Hahn; watched him closely at the game, he is not bringing the physicality or defensive pressure that he is included for, didn’t get to that many contests, only turns up when the midfield are running dominent i.e. if not spoon fed, he might as not as well be there. He needs to get back to chasing tail.
Acker: Either through suspension or for a rest.
In:
Everitt: Tiller to move to CHF to cover loss of Hahn, Everitt to cover Tiller down back.
Reid: As we got smaked in clearances yesterday.

Then why isn't he replacing one of the mids that caused this 'smacking'?

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Was at the Williamstown game at "Cheaters Park" Skipper did not do anything worthy of promotion. O'Keefe played very well but would like to see him do it at least two weeks in a row....Murphy must come in, was a class above the VFA and should never have played there!! Grant also did very little. I suppose it would be Harbrow down if Aker plays....

Ozza
20-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Ideally if Murph and Cooney are ready to go it would be:

In: Murphy, Cooney, Welsh
Out: Eagleton, Ward (just for a full game/confidence) and Harbrow.

We can afford to play a bigger team at the dome I think.

I am not a Tiller fan - but he was pretty good today and deserves his spot. I'm petrified when he gets the ball - but today he was solid.

ledge
20-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Tiller up forward? They tried that late 2007 and IMO it worked. For the life of me Im not sure why they didn't continue with it in 2008. I have a feeling Welsh took his spot. I think he would do extremely well up forward, he leads well and is an ok mark. Start him from the goal sqare and see what happens.
I've been on that bandwagon since the start of 2008, but what do I or we know?

He came over as a forward and didnt do anything wrong when we played him there, why he wasnt tried there at some stage yesterday when we just couldnt find anyone in our forward line i dont know.
Im a believer of try something, at least you dont go down without knowing.
In saying that Eade did do a lot of forward moves, Tiller wasnt one of them though.

Before I Die
20-04-2009, 05:24 PM

???? I guess we should never let facts get in the way of a good scape goating ????

94% disposal efficiency, the highest of any bulldog player in the game. That means he had one clanger disposal out of a total of 17 dispoasals. That would make his one kick out of bounds on the full his only disposal error for the entire game. The coaching staff also trusted him with the kick ins.

G-Mo77
20-04-2009, 05:33 PM
???? I guess we should never let facts get in the way of a good scape goating ????

94% disposal efficiency, the highest of any bulldog player in the game. That means he had one clanger disposal out of a total of 17 dispoasals. That would make his one kick out of bounds on the full his only disposal error for the entire game. The coaching staff also trusted him with the kick ins.

Can't see a come back for that, good job. :)

I find it amazing how many people have listed Tiller in their Outs. I thought he was very solid down back yesterday. I made comment on how good our backline were in another thread. It could have been ugly if it wasn't for the back 6.

Unless there is not a good match up for him like the North Melbourne game I am positive he'll be in the 22 next week.

Sedat
20-04-2009, 05:49 PM
If some players have their reputations smashed because of poor performances in finals, then the opposite must also apply - Tiller's two finals against Sydney and Geelong, in the specific roles he was assigned to, were fantastic and the makings of a potential future AFL career. I think, save for the occasional poor kick, he has continued along the same vein so far in season 2009 and he had kept his direct opponent sufficiently quiet. Our defence is the least of our worries to be honest - I'd be leaving it well alone save the the inclusion of Callan to play on the mosquito's whenever there's an appropriate match-up for him.

Everitt worries me in defence far more than Tiller does - that's not to say Everitt cannot add value to the team in a more attacking role.

bornadog
20-04-2009, 06:12 PM
If some players have their reputations smashed because of poor performances in finals, then the opposite must also apply - Tiller's two finals against Sydney and Geelong, in the specific roles he was assigned to, were fantastic and the makings of a potential future AFL career. I think, save for the occasional poor kick, he has continued along the same vein so far in season 2009 and he had kept his direct opponent sufficiently quiet. Our defence is the least of our worries to be honest - I'd be leaving it well alone save the the inclusion of Callan to play on the mosquito's whenever there's an appropriate match-up for him.

Everitt worries me in defence far more than Tiller does - that's not to say Everitt cannot add value to the team in a more attacking role.

I was not overly impressed with Everitt on Saturday, I thought he could have been a little more dominant at VFL level.

bornadog
20-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Was at the Williamstown game at "Cheaters Park" Skipper did not do anything worthy of promotion. O'Keefe played very well but would like to see him do it at least two weeks in a row....Murphy must come in, was a class above the VFA and should never have played there!! Grant also did very little. I suppose it would be Harbrow down if Aker plays....

Grant needs a few more games at Willi, but having said that I thought he played very well on Saturday and was really lively, playing almost on the wings at times and taking a couple of great grabs.

The Pie Man
20-04-2009, 06:19 PM
With the backline (who, while not saying a lot, I felt were perhaps our best performed unit today)...or with our forward set-up?

If the latter, it may bode well for a certain debutant at FF next week.

More with the individual (Hahn) and sub-sequently column B.

I hear the 'he's not ready' calls re: Grant - but I say throw him in there.

dogman
20-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Out Harbrow, Aker
In Grant, Reid

I hope Eagleton gets droped but unlikely. If he does then bring in Everitt.

Welsh and Murphy have not played a full game yet in the VFL, Grant will be more conditioned then those two. Eade said that he will play around 10 games this year, so he better start cracking and his forms pretty good. Of what i've seen of Grant, he is a big game player. He might not dominate in the VFL but infront of 40,000 screaming fans he might just show something we're looking for.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 07:17 PM
According to BF aka got a week.
150 points down to 112 with an early plea

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Welsh and Murphy have not played a full game yet in the VFL, Grant will be more conditioned then those two. Eade said that he will play around 10 games this year, so he better start cracking and his forms pretty good. Of what i've seen of Grant, he is a big game player. He might not dominate in the VFL but infront of 40,000 screaming fans he might just show something we're looking for.

Agree with this.

If Eade wants to start developing a key forward, and particularly Grant who he said would play 10+ games, then now's the time to bring him in after a few solid performances with Willy. It's not as though Grant has struggled in recent weeks - he's consistently pulling down strong grabs and kicking goals. Considering we have little to no forward structure at the moment with Murph/Welsh out and Johnson/Hahn/Minson in poor form, he really should be given an opportunity.

As Dogman said, he's apparently a big game player, and it would be a good test for him.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Then why isn't he replacing one of the mids that caused this 'smacking'?

Aker played a bit through the middle on Sunday, Reid can replace that and also be additional to the midfield we had against the Eagles. Just wary of Carlton's midfiled strength / numbers. Giansiracusa can hopefully get more game time to replace Aker's forward presence.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 10:47 PM
With all the discussion about which players SHOULD be dropped, I think it's time to have a look at what WILL happen.

Aker being suspended opens up one spot.

Cooney and Murphy are still injured/underdone which means they will not play and if they are picked, it is irresponsible of the match committee to do so.

Welsh will come in because he is the most viable option to replace Aker in the forward line.

There have been calls for Grant to come in. But for who? The typical scapegoats are Eagleton, Tiller and Harbrow and to a lesser extent Callan Ward. Tiller did nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned. Along with Morris, Lake and Williams he tried hard to stop the flow of goals, but wasn't helped by his midfield.

Harbrow was quiet and will probably have to make way for Tim Callan as a match up with Eddie Betts.

Which leaves everyone's favourite target: Eagleton. Eagle always attracts criticism but is NEVER dropped. Apart from those three players, the only other one who is in danger of making way for Grant/Wood/Reid is Callan Ward.

Minson is also mentioned as being dropped - when was the last time Minson played in the VFL?

There's hopes and wishes but in reality there will only be two changes at the min, 3 changes at the max. No matter how much woofers will want there to be multiple changes.

Logic says:
Welsh in for Aker
Callan in for Harbrow

And MY wish/hope is for Grant in for Ward.

hujsh
20-04-2009, 10:52 PM
With all the discussion about which players SHOULD be dropped, I think it's time to have a look at what WILL happen.

Cooney and Murphy are still injured/underdone which means they will not play and if they are picked, it is irresponsible of the match committee to do so.

Welsh will come in because he is the most viable option to replace Aker in the forward line.

There have been calls for Grant to come in. But for who? The typical scapegoats are Eagleton, Tiller and Harbrow and to a lesser extent Callan Ward. Tiller did nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned. Along with Morris, Lake and Williams he tried hard to stop the flow of goals, but wasn't helped by his midfield.

Harbrow was quiet and will probably have to make way for Tim Callan as a match up with Eddie Betts.

Which leaves everyone's favourite target: Eagleton. Eagle always attracts criticism but is NEVER dropped. Apart from those three players, the only other one who is in danger of making way for Grant/Wood/Reid is Callan Ward.

Minson is also mentioned as being dropped - when was the last time Minson played in the VFL?

There's hopes and wishes but in reality there will only be two changes at the min, 3 changes at the max. No matter how much woofers will want there to be multiple changes.

Logic says:
Welsh in for Aker
Callan in for Harbrow

Played all last year but in 07 he played VFL so not too long ago

Not saying i support dropping him however.

Rocco Jones
20-04-2009, 10:56 PM
IN: Bobby/Welsh/Grant, Skipper, Callan, one or two of Reid/O'Keefe
OUT: Aker, Minson, Tiller, one or two of Harbrow/Eagle/Ward

Mantis
21-04-2009, 09:05 AM
IN: Bobby/Welsh/Grant, Skipper, Callan, one or two of Reid/O'Keefe
OUT: Aker, Minson, Tiller, one or two of Harbrow/Eagle/Ward

Why would we be dropping Tiller and not replacing him with a tallish defender?

Carlton's forwardline will probably set-up something like the following:

F: Betts, Fev, Cloke
HF: Wiggins, Kreuzer, Houlihan

Carlton will try and stretch us so we need to play 3 tallish defender's with back-up from Morris & Hargrave.

Desipura
21-04-2009, 09:48 AM

Logic says:
Welsh in for Aker
Callan in for Harbrow

Where is the logic in bringing in Welsh who has not played this season?
And you say Cooney/Murphy are underdone?

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Dex, why Grant in for Ward? I'd be leaving Ward in as he's almost the most senior of the new breed. Dropping him, instead of say Eagleton who's in his twilight years, would have an adverse effect i'd think. Give him gametime. It's his first full year he can concerntrate after finishing school. Hasn't set the world on fire, but either has the bald one.

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Where is the logic in bringing in Welsh who has not played this season?
And you say Cooney/Murphy are underdone?

Welsh has played at least 2 full games, granted one of them was against a bunch of kids, but he still has played full games, Murphy and Cooney have limited preparation.

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Dex, why Grant in for Ward? I'd be leaving Ward in as he's almost the most senior of the new breed. Dropping him, instead of say Eagleton who's in his twilight years, would have an adverse effect i'd think. Give him gametime. It's his first full year he can concerntrate after finishing school. Hasn't set the world on fire, but either has the bald one.

Sure I'd want Eagleton to be dropped, but he never IS! Remember I'm thinking like the match committee, not as a woofer. It's the Match Committee Logic, not mine. Eagleton never gets dropped, if you have issue with this, ask Rocket next time, I'm sure he'll give you an explanation. :D

always right
21-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Hmmm.....who should I trust the judgement of....Dexter T or Rocket Eade? Tough one:rolleyes::)

Desipura
21-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Welsh has played at least 2 full games, granted one of them was against a bunch of kids, but he still has played full games, Murphy and Cooney have limited preparation.
Well then Cooney has played 3 senior games

Scraggers
21-04-2009, 11:45 AM

beat me to it ;)

Bulldog Revolution
21-04-2009, 11:45 AM
What I'd like to see is

In: Reid, OKeefe,
Out: Harbrow, Akermanis

however I suspect that possibly Callan will also included as a matchup for Betts

always right
21-04-2009, 12:10 PM
What I'd like to see is

In: Reid, OKeefe,
Out: Harbrow, Akermanis

however I suspect that possibly Callan will also included as a matchup for Betts

Perhaps Harbrow on Betts. He did afterall play on Campbell against North and made a fair fist of it.

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 12:26 PM

VERY limited game time.

Sockeye Salmon
21-04-2009, 12:45 PM
VERY limited game time.

Still more than Welsh

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Well it will be interesting what Rocket and the match committee do. Put in three underdone players in Cooney, Murphy and Welsh, or go with the tried and tested (Callan) and have a debut player. It just sucks we have to wait till the weekend to find out who is actually playing. Enough with the Sunday games!!!

Dancin' Douggy
21-04-2009, 01:20 PM
I've largely kept out of the Eagleton debate but if he plays another game like that one he should be dropped.
How many kicks of his were smothered because of that long predictable wind up onto his left foot?
I lost count.
It's like he sends out a beacon to let all opposition around him know exactly when to time their smothers. He thinks he's two yards faster than he is, and always takes those extra two or three steps to allow a man to tackle him or put him off his kick.
His kicking under no pressure has deteriorated badly as well. That one in the last quarter into the forward line when we were actually mounting a bit of a challenge was simply depressing.

Eagleton did a great job of turning his career around to become a regular senior player, but that performance yesterday was one from his 'bad old days'.

craigsahibee
21-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I am afraid that if Eagleton is in our best 22, we are struggling.

He has been a great servant of our club, but it's time we looked to a younger player to fulfill his role.

Bulldog Revolution
21-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Perhaps Harbrow on Betts. He did afterall play on Campbell against North and made a fair fist of it.

I dont think Campbell is as dangerous as Betts who is in super form. I think they might prefer a full time defender like Callan and then I guess Hargraves, Morris etc might be backup options.

The Pie Man
21-04-2009, 02:33 PM
There have been calls for Grant to come in. But for who?

Which leaves everyone's favourite target: Eagleton. Eagle always attracts criticism but is NEVER dropped.

Hahn might need a spell with Willi, just to regain some touch and confidence. Perfect time for Grant to come in for him.

I don't think Eagleton will get dropped this week as previous form this year was solid, but if he doesn't turn it back up, Eade will set a precedent and drop him. I'm convinced

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 03:46 PM
It's interesting that now that the bulldogs have a good list that a player of the calibre of Hahn can be relegated to the VFL without a second thought.

Mantis
21-04-2009, 03:56 PM
It's interesting that now that the bulldogs have a good list that a player of the calibre of Hahn can be relegated to the VFL without a second thought.

Hahn is more highly regarded by our supporters than by the wider footy community. Truth be told Hahn plays more poor games than good games, it's just that he provides a physical presence in our forward half as to why he is almost an automatic selection.

Besides being gifted a few goals against Freo Mitch has been pretty poor this year and I suggest he would be amongst the names being discussed at the selection table.

Sockeye Salmon
21-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Hahn is more highly regarded by our supporters than by the wider footy community. Truth be told Hahn plays more poor games than good games, it's just that he provides a physical presence in our forward half as to why he is almost an automatic selection.

Besides being gifted a few goals against Freo Mitch has been pretty poor this year and I suggest he would be amongst the names being discussed at the selection table.

I'd be happy to see him left out this week for Grant.

Callan would be a certainty to come in.

Bulldog Revolution
21-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Is the Carlton St Kilda double the best time to debut Grant?

My thinking is that they would probably prefer not to have him play this week and then drop him for next?

Do people think he is physically ready to contribute in two tough games against the Blues and Saints?

azabob
21-04-2009, 07:30 PM

My thinking is that they would probably prefer not to have him play this week and then drop him for next?

Do people think he is physically ready to contribute in two tough games against the Blues and Saints?

I'm not sure he's ready, he still is very very lean. Having said that Carlton and Saints don't really have a physical backline as such so maybe it wouldn't be an issue?
Also Sundays game will be under the roof (one would assume) so the conditions should be ok for Grant.

Mantis
21-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Agree with both those moves.

hujsh
21-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure he's ready, he still is very very lean. Having said that Carlton and Saints don't really have a physical backline as such so maybe it wouldn't be an issue?
Also Sundays game will be under the roof (one would assume) so the conditions should be ok for Grant.

I think Carlton would be a good backline for him to play against

bornadog
22-04-2009, 12:13 AM

He still looks like a boy when you stand next to him, no muscle, thin. I don't believe he is ready at this stage, but then again who knows what the coach is thinking.

alwaysadog
22-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Is Callan fully fit?

LostDoggy
22-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I think if Grant can create a option in the forward line and can take a couple of grabs against average backmen - it might be worth a shot. Hill to crumb if he brings any to the ground ala Betts might work. Jamison and Walker both out for Carlton is good for us. Fev playing injured is also another win, however they have put the acid on him this week to deliver so I expect he will lift, he also seems to like playing against us.

I don't think we will win this week, we seem to struggle against Carlton, and with Pratt seriously ill in hospital, they will be playing for him.:(

Bulldog Revolution
22-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't think we will win this week, we seem to struggle against Carlton, and with Pratt seriously ill in hospital, they will be playing for him.:(

I'll be bitterly disappointed if we put forward another spineless performance against Carlton

bornadog
22-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Eade says Murphy will play but Cooney is 50/50

Also mentioned Grant and O'Keefe are possibles. No mention of Welsh.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I'll be bitterly disappointed if we put forward another spineless performance against Carlton

Same.

No excuses.

We're better than Carlton and have been for a while - it's about time we actually play some quality football and beat them.

I find it strange Murphy is listed to play but Welsh isn't.

Murphy's barely played ANY football this entire year. Very limited game time on the weekend and struggled v Melbourne in the pre-season.

Hopefully Grant gets a gig though. I think he should too, if Eade was serious in the pre-season about playing him 10 or so games.

dogman
22-04-2009, 05:34 PM
If Murphy does play, I doubt Grant will get a game as they are similar players. But I think Eade will pull Murphy out at the last minute. I think he is to underdone to play this important game. We can't afford to play him and have him on the bench for 50% of the game. I believe he needs a full game in the VFL first.

I even heard on the radio that he wasn't even training with the main group today. Surely its one of those Eade comments, that are meant to get Carlton thinking about Murphy and not others like Johno and crew.

bornadog
22-04-2009, 05:53 PM
If Murphy does play, I doubt Grant will get a game as they are similar players. But I think Eade will pull Murphy out at the last minute. I think he is to underdone to play this important game. We can't afford to play him and have him on the bench for 50% of the game. I believe he needs a full game in the VFL first.

I even heard on the radio that he wasn't even training with the main group today. Surely its one of those Eade comments, that are meant to get Carlton thinking about Murphy and not others like Johno and crew.

The bigger game is the week after so he needs to be ready for that one.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Why would we be dropping Tiller and not replacing him with a tallish defender?

Carlton's forwardline will probably set-up something like the following:

F: Betts, Fev, Cloke
HF: Wiggins, Kreuzer, Houlihan

Carlton will try and stretch us so we need to play 3 tallish defender's with back-up from Morris & Hargrave.

Just a few things:
-Cloke and/or Kreuzer will spend time in the ruck supporting Jacobs.

-I would be happy for them to go with 3 tall forwards. I actually think Morris is our best match up for Fev, as Fev is really a conventional power forward. I think he relies more on his explosiveness, which suits Dale. It also frees up Lake to do his million marks from opposition kicks. Lake to take Cloke and Williams on Kreuzer.

Mantis
22-04-2009, 07:40 PM
-I would be happy for them to go with 3 tall forwards. I actually think Morris is our best match up for Fev, as Fev is really a conventional power forward. I think he relies more on his explosiveness, which suits Dale. It also frees up Lake to do his million marks from opposition kicks. Lake to take Cloke and Williams on Kreuzer.

I think we all thought Morris would go to Fev in rd 17 last year, but Lake did a very good job up until a point late in the 3rd qtr when our midfield gave the Carlton midfield (Judd in particular) a free ride and served the ball on a platter to Fev.

Will be interesting to see which way we go this time around.

dogman
22-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I hope we don't get Fev back in form like last year. From memory he had a few shockers before he played us but he had a great game against us, especially last quarter. He then managed to finish off the year on a high.

LostDoggy
22-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I hope we don't get Fev back in form like last year. From memory he had a few shockers before he played us but he had a great game against us, especially last quarter. He then managed to finish off the year on a high.

I could have played ff against us in that last quarter and kicked goals. The game was won and lost in the midfield, when we stopped running, they killed us.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I think we all thought Morris would go to Fev in rd 17 last year, but Lake did a very good job up until a point late in the 3rd qtr when our midfield gave the Carlton midfield (Judd in particular) a free ride and served the ball on a platter to Fev.

Will be interesting to see which way we go this time around.

Yep. When Williams/Morris are as good/nearly as good an option to play on a dangerous opponent as Lake I would prefer to have Lake freed up to exploit a weaker opponent. Callan coming into the side means we don't need Morris to play on Betts.

We always have to free up Shaggy has to play on small/mediums (preferably the former).

alwaysadog
22-04-2009, 10:48 PM

Rocket wouldn't play mind games, would he?

GVGjr
22-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Rocket wouldn't play mind games, would he?

I actually think everything he says with regards to team selection or injuries is a bluff.

Sockeye Salmon
22-04-2009, 11:05 PM

The problem with that theory is that we need to get game time into Murphy. If he doesn't play with us then he'll have to play with Willi on Saturday and that might be a bit of a giveaway.

GVGjr
22-04-2009, 11:12 PM
The problem with that theory is that we need to get game time into Murphy. If he doesn't play with us then he'll have to play with Willi on Saturday and that might be a bit of a giveaway.

Willy is playing on Sunday this week I think at the same time as well

Sockeye Salmon
22-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Just a few things:
-Cloke and/or Kreuzer will spend time in the ruck supporting Jacobs.

They would never let Lake take Cloke, I'd try it for sure, but they will either take Cloke off the ground or tell him to stand about 8 rows deep into the crowd in the forward pocket and make sure Lake goes with him.

Morris might have to go to Wiggins.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2009, 11:25 PM
They would never let Lake take Cloke, I'd try it for sure, but they will either take Cloke off the ground or tell him to stand about 8 rows deep into the crowd in the forward pocket and make sure Lake goes with him.

Morris might have to go to Wiggins.

Yep, I don't think they would either. I was just responding to Mantis' reply about needing Tiller/tall back to cover their 3 talls.

Desipura
23-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Willy is playing on Sunday this week I think at the same time as well
According to my Williamstown seasons ticket they are playing on Saturday at home

The Coon Dog
23-04-2009, 10:55 AM
According to my Williamstown seasons ticket they are playing on Saturday at home

Sun 26 Apr - Williamstown v Werribee - 1.10pm - Burbank Oval

VFL Fixture (http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=0-118-0-0-0&a=FIXTURE&compID=80515)

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2009, 12:50 PM

So does mine.

???

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 01:26 PM
The Willy game is scheduled to be shown on ABC - TV on Sunday

The Underdog
23-04-2009, 01:42 PM
The Willy game is scheduled to be shown on ABC - TV on Sunday

But they show games on Saturday, or is this an Anzac day thing?
Wouldn't want Willy and Werribee stealing the focus from Collingwood vs Essendon

bornadog
23-04-2009, 02:28 PM
But they show games on Saturday, or is this an Anzac day thing?
Wouldn't want Willy and Werribee stealing the focus from Collingwood vs Essendon

The ABC didn't want to be up against the footy from the MCG, so they changed.

The Underdog
23-04-2009, 03:05 PM
The ABC didn't want to be up against the footy from the MCVG, so they changed.

I expect they've probably got some other Anzac Day related programming on too.