PDA

View Full Version : Giansiracusa

wimberga
19-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Any theories as to why he was left on the pine for the bet part of 2 quarters? on the tv they seemed to believe he wasnt injured, but couldnt really give a reason? I personally think that he is possibly our most important player when we are being beaten

Cyberdoggie
20-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I haven't seen the game yet, but it is my theory that when Gia plays well we usually win.
I am not saying that Gia is the reason we win or lose, just that if he is allowed to play a good game then it usually means the we are flying.

bornadog
20-04-2009, 01:09 PM
He must have been ill, as he has been in great form this season and to be left on the bench for so long, there has got to be something wrong.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 04:37 PM
*Bump thread*

Anyone in the know? Would be interested to hear the reason as well.

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I watched Eade's press conference yesterday after the game

Someone brought up the quick 'Is Giansiracusa ok was on the bench a lot' question and Eade was quickly to say "Yep hes fine"

Or something on those lines..

Coaches Press Conferences are so blunt at times..if you dont have a direct question you gunna get an average response!

LostDoggy
20-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I watched Eade's press conference yesterday after the game

Someone brought up the quick 'Is Giansiracusa ok was on the bench a lot' question and Eade was quickly to say "Yep hes fine"

Or something on those lines..

Coaches Press Conferences are so blunt at times..if you dont have a direct question you gunna get an average response!

He was very quick. Too quick, almost...

Go_Dogs
20-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Very disappoint for Gia. Hope it is nothing serious. He played a blinder in the first, but has steadily dropped off since then. What makes it all the more interesting is the fact that he's had a fantastic pre-season, compared to last year, when he had almost none.

Wonder what the story here really is?

Mantis
20-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Spoke to a few people who watched the game who thought Gia was benched intentionly for a poor 1st half. Gilbee also spent a fair bit of the 3rd qtr on the bench so perhaps Rocket was trying to teach them a lesson?

bornadog
20-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Spoke to a few people who watched the game who thought Gia was benched intentionly for a poor 1st half. Gilbee also spent a fair bit of the 3rd qtr on the bench so perhaps Rocket was trying to teach them a lesson?

Well if that is true it was a dumb move to have two of our best players benched for so long while the Eagles run riot. I know Gilbee copped a blast for his poor effort in the third quarter when he basically stood there and watched Eagles inside mids going hard at it and running down the ground with ball in hand and delivering to a WC forward for a goal. Not sure what Gia did wrong, but I am not the coach.

wimberga
20-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Just Frustrated the hell out of me. Gia is at his best when the team is flat and getting beaten. He is quite often the difference that turns the game for us whenwe are getting beaten, and it was damn annoying not finding out why!

AndrewP6
21-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Don't think Gia would've made much of a difference, there were so many other poor performances.

Desipura
21-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Just Frustrated the hell out of me. Gia is at his best when the team is flat and getting beaten. He is quite often the difference that turns the game for us whenwe are getting beaten, and it was damn annoying not finding out why!
A good player, but surely you are not talking about Gia? Turns games for us when we are getting beaten? I do not think so.

Ozza
21-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah I agree. I would have thrown him in the middle to try and get us going. When we are struggling we need to get the footy in his hands.

Sockeye Salmon
21-04-2009, 12:40 PM
A good player, but surely you are not talking about Gia? Turns games for us when we are getting beaten? I do not think so.

Absolutely.

Gia is more likely to be in our better players when we lose rather than when we win.

Desipura
21-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Absolutely.

Gia is more likely to be in our better players when we lose rather than when we win.

Maybe so, disagree that he turns games for us though. Cooney, Johnno and Aker in the past turn have turned games for us. Griffen will turn games for us in the near future if he has not already.

wimberga
21-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Maybe so, disagree that he turns games for us though. Cooney, Johnno and Aker in the past turn have turned games for us. Griffen will turn games for us in the near future if he has not already.

Your not wrong with the players mentioned here Desipura, but I honestly believe that Gia is at his absolute best when the dogs are at their worst. Hes not going to gut run down the wing and slot one from 50m like Griffen or Explode from the middle like Cooney. What he does do is get a shite load of the ball when we are in trouble, and he is among our better ball users. His goalkicking in general is slightly suspect, but his goalkicking under pressure is normally very very good.

I will admit though, i never thought like this until i had it pointed out to me by another friend, and since then, whenever we are against the wall, Gia is right in the thick of it. Keep an eye out next time.

Getting back to the point, any other theories/knowledge on why he wasnt on the park?!

Mofra
21-04-2009, 05:03 PM
What he does do is get a shite load of the ball when we are in trouble, and he is among our better ball users.
In heavy traffic, he is practically our best ball user. He seems a better user of the ball under duress than when he is free of pressure. I'd almost have him play on whenever he is inside 50 and would normally take a set shot.

Desipura
28-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Your not wrong with the players mentioned here Desipura, but I honestly believe that Gia is at his absolute best when the dogs are at their worst. Hes not going to gut run down the wing and slot one from 50m like Griffen or Explode from the middle like Cooney. What he does do is get a shite load of the ball when we are in trouble, and he is among our better ball users. His goalkicking in general is slightly suspect, but his goalkicking under pressure is normally very very good.

I will admit though, i never thought like this until i had it pointed out to me by another friend, and since then, whenever we are against the wall, Gia is right in the thick of it. Keep an eye out next time.

Getting back to the point, any other theories/knowledge on why he wasnt on the park?!

Hey wimberga, I have kept an eye out for Gia, still have not seen what you have.

wimberga
28-04-2009, 02:19 PM
We were terrible on Sunday. There were a number of players that were down including Gia. However, i do remember a bried period in the 3rd quarter where carlton had scored a couple of goals and were getting a bit of a run on. Josh Hill stepped up the pace, and i remember Gia kicking the goal that kept us in touch. Previously, i think in the 1st quarter, he had missed a similarly angled shot.

Sundays game wasnt truly representative of anyones game bar Josh Hill and Matthew Boyd i think. Continue to watch and i am sure you will soon see that when we are getting beaten Gia is one that does stand up.

Desipura
28-04-2009, 02:26 PM
We were terrible on Sunday. There were a number of players that were down including Gia. However, i do remember a bried period in the 3rd quarter where carlton had scored a couple of goals and were getting a bit of a run on. Josh Hill stepped up the pace, and i remember Gia kicking the goal that kept us in touch. Previously, i think in the 1st quarter, he had missed a similarly angled shot.

Sundays game wasnt truly representative of anyones game bar Josh Hill and Matthew Boyd i think. Continue to watch and i am sure you will soon see that when we are getting beaten Gia is one that does stand up.
Well there is no better time than this week, it is a huge challenge for us.
How would posters feel if our future captain tossed the coin then ran to the interchange bench for the start of the game? Guido almost always starts on the bench.
Last man to do it was Richmonds Bruce Monteath in the 1980 Grand Final

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Hey wimberga, I have kept an eye out for Gia, still have not seen what you have.

I did see Gia throw himself backwards into a marking contest. It was about 25 metres out at the northern end. Must have been in the 3rd quarter.

Desipura
28-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I did see Gia throw himself backwards into a marking contest. It was about 25 metres out at the northern end. Must have been in the 3rd quarter.

Yes I remember clapping that bit of play, very courageous act! He was not in our best players in a losing side though......

Mantis
28-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Yes I remember clapping that bit of play, very courageous act! He was not in our best players in a losing side though......

He wouldn't have been in our best 10 or 12 I would have thought.... Same can be said for the West Coast game as well.

wimberga
28-04-2009, 04:59 PM
He wouldn't have been in our best 10 or 12 I would have thought.... Same can be said for the West Coast game as well.

Dont think that i am implying Gia is going to be in our best players when we are smashed.

What i am saying is that when we are being beginning to fall away during a game, that Gia is often right in the thick of it in keeping us in touch. I see him as a sort of catalyst when the run of play is clearly against us. He often gets the team going again.

ledge
28-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I dont mind Gia, he has his good and bad days, only question i have got and this relays to what the sides game plan is as well, why was Gia calling for a handball when Lake had marked 20 mtres in front of goal?
I would have thought a golden rule in a proffessional football game that if you were that close go back and kick the goal.
I wonder whether Gia got a blast as well as Lake?

wimberga
28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah thats an interesting one Ledge.

I guess we wouldnt really be asking the queston had Gia recievd the handball on the chest and slotted the goal. I think that Gia probably thought he had more room than he did. And Lake, well im always happy for him to take the easiest option. Appears that shooting for goal wasnt the easiest option for him.

Topdog
28-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I dont mind Gia, he has his good and bad days, only question i have got and this relays to what the sides game plan is as well, why was Gia calling for a handball when Lake had marked 20 mtres in front of goal?
I would have thought a golden rule in a proffessional football game that if you were that close go back and kick the goal.
I wonder whether Gia got a blast as well as Lake?

I doubt he would have copped a blast too. Only Lake can be blamed for that one. He took the mark, he should have finished it off regardless of what anyone said to him.

ledge
28-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I would have thought Gia being the experienced forward he wouldnt have called it and ran over to Lake and encouraged him to kick it that close to goal though.

BulldogBelle
28-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I would have thought Gia being the experienced forward he wouldnt have called it and ran over to Lake and encouraged him to kick it that close to goal though.

If you could call Lake's pass a handball

I'm hoping Rocket and Paul Williams will tell Lake this week that its not the last time he is going to play in the forward line

In the space of a couple of minutes he took 2 contest marks within 20 meters of goal

Imagine what he could do if he has the confidence to go back and slot a goal

Lake came to the Dogs as a forward, realise he is the 2nd best Full Back in the competition, BUT if the club requires him he needs to get some goal kicking practise, some confidence and some balls and leadership to take it back and have a shot

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2009, 11:58 PM
If you could call Lake's pass a handball

I'm hoping Rocket and Paul Williams will tell Lake this week that its not the last time he is going to play in the forward line

In the space of a couple of minutes he took 2 contest marks within 20 meters of goal

Imagine what he could do if he has the confidence to go back and slot a goal

Lake came to the Dogs as a forward, realise he is the 2nd best Full Back in the competition, BUT if the club requires him he needs to get some goal kicking practise, some confidence and some balls and leadership to take it back and have a shot

We were all excited with having a forward who took 2 contested marks inside forward 50 but no FF has survived on taking contested marks since Coleman did his knee.

If Lake is to be a FF he has to do the % things and get soft goals on the lead and in space and if he can get another goal a game from a contested mark consider it a bonus.

Go_Dogs
29-04-2009, 09:19 AM
We were all excited with having a forward who took 2 contested marks inside forward 50 but no FF has survived on taking contested marks since Coleman did his knee.

If Lake is to be a FF he has to do the % things and get soft goals on the lead and in space and if he can get another goal a game from a contested mark consider it a bonus.

The way our forward lines going the only marks in F50 are going to be contested!

Mantis
29-04-2009, 09:45 AM
The way our forward lines going the only marks in F50 are going to be contested!

It doesn't help when it seems that every ball kicked into our F50 is kicked on top of our players head.

Desipura
04-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey Wimberga, I have since kept an eye out for Gia, still has not turned it on. The team is flat and he has not stood up along with alot of his senior teammates.
In fact, if he was not in our leadership group, he would be close to being dropped.
How he is talked about as a future captain still puzzles me.
When he is in form he is a very good player who creates play for his teammates and can kick a goal, his field kicking is also very good.
He is a very focussed individual who is a great role model for the kids, however not captain material for mine.
When talking future captains I would nominate
1. Murphy
2. Boydy

soupman
04-05-2009, 03:18 PM
When talking future captains I would nominate
1. Murphy
2. Boydy

I think his performances this season have secured him as my number 1 choice.

Firstly, he's a good player. he plays well defensively and offensively, he runs all day and he does get the team going. Often these last few weeks it would be Boyd involved in getting that rare first quarter goal so that we don't slip out of touch.

Secondly, he's not a naturally gifted player. He's had to work to get where he is. He had to work hard to get rookie listed, he had to work hard to get promoted. He had to work hard to stay in the side, and ever since he's worked hard on improving his game to the point that now he is much quicker, more skilfull and more dangerous than he was when he started.

I like Murphy but for some reason don't see him as a captain. Boyd is someone who I think would suit that role.

Jasper
04-05-2009, 03:50 PM
It doesn't help when it seems that every ball kicked into our F50 is kicked on top of our players head.

I think the problem with Gia, is he is spending way to much time in the forward line. He was at his best last year when he was played around the ball on a wing or in the middle. one of his best games for us was his tagging job on kirk in the finals. He needs to have the ball in his hands for his confidence and we need the ball in his hands because he is one of our best uses of the footy.

wimberga
04-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Agree Gia is not playing well so far, with plenty for company.

Re: Captains. Im not sure what the charm is with gia to be honest, but then i am not around the club. If you were going to name it for on field leadership, Boydy would be a good choice. I get the feeling, however, that at AFL level, your not playing unless you have some leadership material. Alot of it then comes down to what the relationship is like with the coach, the respect/feeling in the dressing room, the way they handle the media etc

Rocket Science
04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Agreed on the calls for Boyd's eventual elevation to the captaincy, seems like an obvious and worthy candidate for many reasons already expressed.

That said, I'm increasingly a fan of Dale Morris' suitability for the job, again for many of the reasons Boyd exhibits.

GVGjr
04-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Agreed on the calls for Boyd's eventual elevation to the captaincy, seems like an obvious and worthy candidate for many reasons already expressed.

That said, I'm increasingly a fan of Dale Morris' suitability for the job, again for many of the reasons Boyd exhibits.

Agreed. Morris is a fine leader of players and he is very much in the Boyd mould.

Ozza
11-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Great to see Gia back in form today. I was worried early - as his first quarter and a bit was ordinary - but his use of the football after that point was exquisite - and he really showed how important he is to the side by being crucial in setting up plenty of goals.

mighty_west
11-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Great to see Gia back in form today. I was worried early - as his first quarter and a bit was ordinary - but his use of the football after that point was exquisite - and he really showed how important he is to the side by being crucial in setting up plenty of goals.

He really needed to lift after half time, and he did, needed to show leadership on field, although he doesn't seem to be going at 100% for mine, and looked a bit proppy at stages, could be carrying something.

Jasper
11-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Agree, I thought Gia along with cooney were the main reason for our form reversal after half time. He needed to stand up and did.

wimberga
30-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Convinced? I truly believe Gia, and to a lesser extent, Eagleton, were the difference for us on sunday. Really good game from Gia whilst injured