PDA

View Full Version : Flying first class or coach

Stevo
20-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Dear Rodney,

As the game evolves there is a tendency for nearly every coach to want athletic footballers to be included into their sides. And on face value this seems to be the right move because the game is quick and getting quicker but having a good look at our inept performance on the weekend we simply didn't match the Eagles with hard body contests and most noticeably our skills. They used the ball so well and we didn't.

By your own admission "Turnovers hurt us" (check the Dogs Day board) so really this indicates that we need to be looking to increase the skill level of the side rather than just being able to have players capable of running quicker.

Going by the player of the year award thread on this site the two best performed players (Higgins and Boyd) aren't exactly Stawell Gifters but both have a red hot go which is what we need.

Now to the issue de jour

We have a player ripping it up at Williamstown, kicking goals, gathering possessions, using the ball well, getting in and under and on top of that kicking goals and doing those team orientated things. Did I mention kicking goals?
That player is Guy " Ocka " O'Keefe. For the members of this site that haven't seen him picture a poor mans Nathan Brown without the cocky or arrogant self centered look at me " tude " and he is in top form.....well he is right now.
He's not a speedster, neither was Browny, but you must add him to the team now..... and I mean now.
Adding him to the emergencies simply won't be good enough.

Our opponents this Sunday informed the football community that we know they were coming, well I can just about guarantee that they know nothing about the white hot O'Keefe and if there was ever a time to introduce a young up and comer then in front of a monster crowd this weekend is just the place.

Don't dilly dally with any Wallace style hyperbole that dances around why this weekend isn't the right time to play him.
Don't come up with any cock and bull story that he isn't quick enough because he is.
Don't name him in the extended squad but then not play him on the day.

I could go on and on about his form but basically what I'm saying to you is don't stuff this up.
You can be an Ocka Knocka or you can do yourself and the side the biggest favor and simply play him.

If I can add just one old cliche for good measure " You can rebuild the side, you have the technology "

Rant over.

hujsh
21-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Going by the player of the year award thread on this site the two best performed players (Higgins and Boyd) aren't exactly Stawell Gifters but both have a red hot go which is what we need.

Are you talking down Higgins pure talent and skill? Seems odd to me

That player is Guy " Ocka " O'Keefe. For the members of this site that haven't seen him picture a poor mans Nathan Brown without the cocky or arrogant self centered look at me " tude " and he is in top form.....well he is right now.

Jeez, don't talk him up too much.;)

If I can add just one old cliche for good measure " You can rebuild the side, you have the technology "

So you think we need to rebuild? Or do you mean we just have to tighten some screws?

Dogs 24/7
21-04-2009, 07:13 PM
An amusing but accurate thread Stevo. I think this week would be a fantastic time to play O'Keefe.

Go_Dogs
21-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Yes, good read. Read your thread this morning but did not respond.

I was talking up O'Keefe last year based on the VFL reports that watchers on this site provided (having never had the opportunity to see him play). Seems like the sort of natural footballer that could get us a few goals up forward and some good ball use around the ground.

I hope he gets a look in, but I suspect he might not get the opportunity this week with Callan, Welsh and a couple of others all chances to come back in.

GVGjr
21-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Bornadog and I were talking to a mate on Saturday who thought O'Keefe had modeled his game on Shannon Grant. In hindsight I think there is some similarities in that comparison.
Right at this moment he's probably not a pure midfielder and more of a forward that pushes into the midfield.

Perhaps Comrade who has seen heaps of him might be able to offer a current or past day player as a good comparison.

Jasper
21-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I have seen him twice this season and he has been in the better players both times. His game on Saturday was one that he clearly domintated.

AndrewP6
21-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Up until Sunday we were gathering possessions, disposing well, kicking goals etc..
He's "not a speedster", but he's "quick enough"... sounds like coach-speak for "slow"...

Granted I haven't seen much of O'Keefe, is he really ready... killing them in the VFL is a big difference from handling it in the big league.

bornadog
22-04-2009, 12:08 AM
34 disposals and five goals was a good return on Saturday. I also thought he played some great games last year and I support Stevo in calling on Rocket to bring him in this week.

Mantis
22-04-2009, 08:47 AM
At some stage the match committee are going to have to reward his efforts. It might not be this week, but hopefully it is soon.

Stevo
22-04-2009, 10:28 PM
At some stage the match committee are going to have to reward his efforts. It might not be this week, but hopefully it is soon.

Rodney mentioned Callan, O'Keefe, Murphy and Reid but I doubt he will do anything more than name Ocka as an emergency come match day.

bornadog
14-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Rodney mentioned Callan, O'Keefe, Murphy and Reid but I doubt he will do anything more than name Ocka as an emergency come match day.

You were right Stevo, named as an emergency many times, but sadly will not debut:mad:

Dazza
14-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Didn't someone say he was fighting for a spot with Akermanis? Doesn't seem like he'll get a game this year. Hopefully gets an extended run next year though. He probably deserves it more than any other Willy player. (other than maybe skipper)

LostDoggy
14-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Apparently not,the jungle drums are beating loud that he isnt going to debut for the dogs at all. The whole Okeefe snub has been bizarre given his form & talent.Something not right about the whole thing.To let him go without debuting him to see what he can do seems senseless!
What message & precedent does it set at the club when you dont pick players on form.
Maybe the result is a 2 point loss to the Eagles at home who havent won in Melbourne in 18 tries!

Great post Stevo dont know how i missed it.

GVGjr
14-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Apparently not,the jungle drums are beating loud that he isnt going to debut for the dogs at all. The whole Okeefe snub has been bizarre given his form & talent.Something not right about the whole thing.To let him go without debuting him to see what he can do seems senseless!
What message & precedent does it set at the club when you dont pick players on form.
Maybe the result is a 2 point loss to the Eagles at home who havent won in Melbourne in 18 tries!

Great post Stevo dont know how i missed it.

It's the bloody thread title :mad: :) I had to search for 5 minutes to find it.

LostDoggy
15-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Are any other clubs interested in him?
Lets say he wasn't a listed player and was just playing for a VFL side. I would say there would be a lot of clubs very interested in putting him on the Rookie list next year.

Wight not playing I get.

Skipper OK I can buy he has been boxed as a Ruckmen and Eade will not play three. Especially after bringing Street in for a game and playing three rucks. Which was a disaster. Skipper is better than Street though.

Guy O'Keefe. Ok Eade has mentioned issues with him. Why then does he get a game at all. Surely he would have been dropped for one game as punishment instead of just never playing seniors. Is he a smartass? Has he got a poor attitude to training? Does he miss sessions constantly? Know one seems to know except to point to an article written by Eade in the Bulldogs mag.
Aborignal footballers seem to take a while to adjust to the discipline of AFL so maybe its just this. He needs more time. The thing is why not see if he can play at the highest level and then make a decision to see if he is worth keeping on the list working through his issues if any.
Or has Eade made up his mind and if so I hope he sticks it right up the club and Eade.

The Coon Dog
15-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Or has Eade made up his mind and if so I hope he sticks it right up the club and Eade.
I don't & never do want anyone let go by the club to stick it up us. Been a major problem with this club for too many years with too many supporters where they hold the individual bigger than the club.

I'm sure Rocket has his reasons why he hasn't played him & given that Rocket has worked with him 5 days a week over 2 seasons, I'd say there's a fair chance he'd be a better judge than any of us on here who might have seen him play a game here & there.

bornadog
15-08-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't & never do want anyone let go by the club to stick it up us. Been a major problem with this club for too many years with too many supporters where they hold the individual bigger than the club.

I'm sure Rocket has his reasons why he hasn't played him & given that Rocket has worked with him 5 days a week over 2 seasons, I'd say there's a fair chance he'd be a better judge than any of us on here who might have seen him play a game here & there.

We have to trust the coaching staff on this one and any selection for that matter, as they know the inside of what is going on at the club and with the player. We have heard his fitness is not up there, even though he has played some great games for Willi. Unfortunately to get a gig in the seniors you do have to compete with many good midfielders we have at the club and really be outstanding. He is only young and if he works hard enough will eventually make it.