PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Eade - 250 games as Coach

bornadog
22-04-2009, 02:35 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Eade_train08_246_a.jpg

Rocket is only the seventh person to both play and coach 250 games.

* Rodney Eade played AFL for Hawthorn from 1976 to 1987 for a return of 229 games with 46 goals as well as a further 30 games for the Brisbane Bears from 1988 to 1990. He played in the 1978 premiership win over North Melbourne, and also figured prominently in the 1983 grand final win over Essendon. Rodney was made a life member of Hawthorn in 1983. Rodney took over the reins from Ron Barassi as Head Coach at Sydney in 1996, and was the most successful coach of the Swans since Jack Bissett in the 1930's. In a bitter end to the club's most successful coaching stint Eade was told he would not be part of the Swans' rebuilding program in 2003, so he took the option of resigning, leaving with his reputation intact. During his tenure the club made the finals in 1996-1999 and again in 2001, losing the grand final in 1996 to the Kangaroos. Eade was Sydney's longest serving coach and led the club to its first grand final appearance in 51 years in 1996 – his first season as coach. * reproduced from http://www.claxtonspeakers.com.au/speakers_profile/88

Joining the Bulldogs in 2005, Rod has coached the club in 97 games with 53 wins and 44 losses (win ratio of 54.6%). Rod took the doggies to a finals campaign in 2006 and a preliminary in 2008. He is an innovative coach, introducing the controversial flooding tactics in his Sydney days, as well as in more recent times the running game, which Geelong took to another level in 2007. Known as a great thinker of the game as well as sending down some powerful rockets to players on match day, Rocket is highly respected by the players, fans and the football community in general.

Rockets contract expires at the end of season, but I am sure he will be re-signed mid way during the year.

Congratulations Rocket.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/rod.jpg

bornadog
23-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Rodney Eade notches 250 games played and coached
Michael Horan | April 23, 2009 12:00am

RODNEY Eade will step into elite company this weekend when he becomes only the seventh man to play and coach 250 AFL/VFL games.
The Western Bulldogs coach, who turned 51 earlier this month, was unaware of his passage into the exclusive club after overseeing training for the side's clash against Carlton at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

"Only six (others), that's a bit of a shock. I suppose it is a bit humbling," Eade said.

"Like player milestones, you think of that once you finish and once you retire. But to be in that exalted company is a big honour and humbling for a little boy from Tassie."

Eade's journey began 33 years ago when he was recruited from Glenorchy by Hawthorn.

He inherited the great Peter Hudson's No. 26 jumper and played in four premierships through a 229-game career, primarily as a wingman with the Hawks before playing a further 30 games for the Brisbane Bears.

His coaching path began immediately after injuries put an end to his playing career, guiding the Bears' reserves to the 1991 premiership.

Four more years as an assistant at North Melbourne prefaced his appointment as Sydney's coach in 1996.

He took the Swans to the Grand Final in the first of almost seven years in charge.

Now into his fifth year at Whitten Oval, Eade's passion to be involved is as strong as ever.

"I've got a great appreciation for the game and I think it's in great health at the moment," he said.

"So I really enjoy coming to work and being involved with young players and men and try to help them on their path."

THE 500 CLUB

Jock McHale

Played 261, Coached 714, Total 975

Kevin Sheedy

251 635 886

Leigh Matthews

332 461 793

Ron Barassi

254 514 768

Dick Reynolds

320 415 735

Robert Walls

259 347 606

Rodney Eade

259 249 508

alwaysadog
23-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Rocket's contract expires at the end of season, but I am sure he will be re-signed mid way during the year.

An enviable record, he has really put his stamp on the club and taken us from a basket case to excitement machine and contenders.

Barring some unimagininable and sudden falling off in our form your prediction looks well based.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Congratulations Rocket - I feel confident that if one coach will take these working class battlers to win a premiership it will be under your firm hand.:)

Scraggers
23-04-2009, 03:55 AM
Thanks Bornadog for these two posts, there is some good statistical info about Rocket ... I must say I was surprised in the 500 club not to see Mick Malthouse's name

The Coon Dog
23-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks Bornadog for these two posts, there is some good statistical info about Rocket ... I must say I was surprised in the 500 club not to see Mick Malthouse's name

The requirement here is to had played 250 games & coached 250 games. Mick Malthouse only played 174 games.

bornadog
23-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Personally I would like to see his contract extended another two years at least. We are building a team with some exciting young players and it would be great if Rocket was still there to see it through.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 11:05 AM
The other six on the list are exalted company (barring maybe Walls). Rocket is right to feel honoured, but we are privileged to have someone with that record on board. He needs to get a couple of premierships to be considered a great coach, and he will never have a better opportunity than in the next 4-5 years with the Dogs.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 01:28 PM
In his first year as Coach (2005) he nearly got the dogs to the finals.
Wallace had 5 years - and last year was the closes he got.

Congrats Rocket!

Scraggers
23-04-2009, 02:24 PM
The requirement here is to had played 250 games & coached 250 games. Mick Malthouse only played 174 games.

Thanks TCD ... I wasn't sure how many games Malthouse had played

strebla
25-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I may be wrong here but is he the only one no to have coached a premiership.If I am correct this year may be the year to fix that little anomoly.

bornadog
05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
A Ripe Old Milestone

Lauren Monger
2:59 PM Tue 05 May, 2009

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/eadereceivesGarnge.jpg Smorgon makes a fuss over Rodney Eade

Today through the media we are frequently reminded of the importance of a Senior Coach in a sporting team’s success both on and off the field. The Coach is instrumental and consequently the minute a team starts to falter the finger is pointed and blame generally falls with the Coach.

However, it is also important to acknowledge the successes of Senior Coach.

Rodney Eade, Western Bulldogs Senior Coach not only has a successful history as a professional footballer but also as a coach. He has brought to the Western Bulldogs a wealth of knowledge and experience not to mention the drive to turn a consecutive bottom 3 team into the skilled powerhouse we now see up with the best.

Round 5 saw Eade become only the 7th person in history to reach the grand milestone of both playing and coaching 250 games of football. He joins an illustrious club, of iconic sportsman in Jock McHale (261 games played and 714 games coached), Dick Reynolds (320 games played and 415 games coached), Ron Barassi (254 games played and 514 games coached), Kevin Sheedy (251 games played and 635 games coached), Robert Walls (259 games played and 347 games coached) and Leigh Matthews (332 games played and 461 games coached).

To commemorate this occasion President David Smorgon made a presentation to Rodney in front of the Western Bulldogs football and administration staff, players and Chief Executive of the AFL Andrew Demetriou. To honour the occasion, Rodney was presented with a 1996 bottle of Grange, to commemorate his first year as a senior coach. A drop we’re sure he’ll enjoy at the end of the season.

for westernbulldogs.com.au