PDA

View Full Version : Interview With Tony McGuinness

The Coon Dog
22-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Tony McGuinness
Footscray 1986 - 1990 (109 games, 57 goals)
Adelaide 1991 - 1996 (113 games, 60 goals)

http://i2.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/f8/0e/53e8_1.JPG http://i1.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/37/73/8472_1.JPG

TCD: Tony, thank you so much for your time. I've had a few people ask me to have a chat with yourself.

TMcG: You're welcome.

Where did you grow up?

Glenelg.

As a boy did you barrack for the Bays?

No, funnily I supported Woodville. They had 3 players who I really rated; Malcolm Blight, Craig McKellar & Ray Huppatz.

Did you support a team in Victoria.

Yes, Hawthorn.

Where did you play your junior footy?

I started off playing school footy, but Glenelg had a really well structured junior program & I played with the junior squads at Glenelg until I was 16, then I played seniors in 1981.

How did you come to Footscray's attention?

Not without a little bit of drama. There was the very first VFL draft in 1981& I was drafted by Geelong. I didn't come across but I signed a form 4 tying me to them.

In 1985 Shane O'Sullivan was in Adelaide & I met him. He was responsible for Carlton recruiting Stephen Kernahan & he convinced me to join Footscray. I'm not sure what technicalities were involved, but they sorted them out & I came across to Victoria in 1986.

That was probably a good time to come over as there were quite a number of South Australian's who had come across so it made the transition a little easier & we formed pretty good friendships too.

Do you remember your first game with Footscray?

Yes, it was easter Monday so I had to wait all weekend. We played St.Kilda at the Western Oval & I kicked a goal with my first kick. We won by 17 points, but the talking point was the battle that raged all day between Rick Kennedy & Tony Lockett.

Did you enjoy your time at the Bulldogs?

Yes, very much. If a side hadn't been established in SA I would have been happy to see out my career with Footscray.

We were around the mark each of my years at the club except for 1989, but unfortunately we never quite made it to the finals. Probably the biggest disappointment was losing the round 22 clash against Melbourne at a packed Western Oval in 1987.

I really enjoyed 1990. The rally attended by 10,000 people is something I'll never forget. The terrific leadership of Peter Gordon, Terry Wheeler & Doug Hawkins were crucial in my view. A smart move appointing a couple of local boys as captain & coach. The success of that rally & raising all the money saved the club.

Which Bulldogs player stand out for you?

* Doug Hawkins - Outstanding skills, very very tough & strong around the ball.
* Simon Beasley - Tough one on one, outstanding on the lead & a terrific mark.
* Peter Foster - Could play CHB/CHF, just so strong & a great kick.
* Andrew Purser - A strong leader, not massive as a ruckman but rarely beaten.
* Rick Kennedy - A great captain who was as tough as nail at full back, but if needed could pinch hit up forward.
* Brian Royal - Had the ability to finish off so well.
* Steve Wallis - Just had the ability to find the ball.
* Scott Wynd - An outstanding leader.
* Chris Grant - Probably up there with Ted & Doug as the greatest players to represent the club.
* Leon Cameron - Great user of the ball by foot, either side too.

In 1991 The Adelaide Crows Football Club commenced in the AFL. You were obviously one of the first players the new club would have been interested in. Did you need much persuading?

No, not at all. I had always said that i would return to Adelaide. I have a very strong connection of family & friends over here, very strong.The formation of the Crows just hastened my return home earlier than I envisaged.

What about that first game for the Crows against Hawthorn?

It was massive! there was a huge build up to the game. We played Essendon in a practice game one Friday night & there was over 50,000 people there, so we knew it was going to be big, but to beat Hawthorn by 87 points was beyond everyone's imagination.

Do you recall who kicked the first ever AFL goal for the Crows?

I think it might have been me. A free kick for holding the ball against a great mate of mine, John Platten

You finished up at Adelaide in 1996 & if I recall rightly you were going to play for Sydney who undertook to draft you in the PSD. What happened there?

Sydney were over the salary cap. The AFL advised them that they were not eligible for a PSD pick, so that was it for me, retired.

Who were some of the better players you played with in your time at Adelaide?

* Chris McDermott - Tough, always at the bottom of the pack.
* Andrew Jarman - Outstanding ball gatherer & a terrific guy.
* Mark Riccuito - A bit like Doug in a way, terrific skills & very tough.
* Andrew McLeod - Just a brilliant player & knew how to find the ball.
* Shaun Rehn - Great competitor & huge effort to come back after 2 knee reco's.
* Tyson Edwards - Very skilled & a great ball gatherer.

What about some of you opponents?

* Stephen Kernahan - I was fortunate enough to play with him at Glenelg & in State of Origin. The best player I played against, just his ability to impact a game.
* John Platten - Great worker, worked his socks off all day.
* Craig Bradley - Just ran all day, knew how to get the ball & was exceptionally skillful.
* Andrew Bews - Strong competitor, hard at the ball & thought nothing of clipping you over the head but was always the first to shake your hand when the game ended.
* Paul Roos - It's no surprise he has coached an AFL Premiership. Just read the game so well. Terrific bloke too. We met up on a Gaelic tour to Ireland & have been close friends ever since.

You mentioned State of Origin games. How did you enjoy those?

Loved them! As good as you could get. Massive atmosphere, huge crowds & they brought out the best in you. It was tough though, in those days you played Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

Who were your coaches in the AFL?

* Mick Malthouse - An extremely demanding & tough coach. He was perfect for me, hard but fair & he was the largest single influence on my career.
* Terry Wheeler - Perfect timing, had a history with the club, coached the reserves & was just the logical choice as coach.
* Graham Cornes - Had the ability to extract the best out of his players.
* Robert Shaw - Smart, a great footy brain, but I'm not sure the Adelaide supporters fully accepted him.

What have you done since retiring?

I coached Glenelg for 3 years from 1998-2000. We made the finals in 1999.

I had a sports store chain (Rowe & Jarman) that we built up from 1 store to 40 stores when I sold out in 2005.

For the past 5 years I have been an assistant coach at Port Adelaide & along with Matthew Primus, look after the midfield.

A huge part of my life though has been the setting up of the McGuinnes McDermott Foundation (MMF). In 1996 Chris McDermott & myself decided to raise money after we met 2 young boys who were seriously ill with cancer. Unfortunately they both passed away. The aim of the MMF is to raise money for children with cancer & serious illness & we have raised more than $10 million, which the Women's & Children's Hospital have been able to put to good use.

I probably put in 20 - 30 hours per week on a voluntary basis.

Is there a website for the MMF?

Yes, it's www.mcfoundation.com.au

http://www.rivergumhomes.com.au/fileadmin/template/images/McGuinnessLogo.jpg

Married/children?

Yes & Yes. My wife Georgina is a weekend newsreader on Channel 9 & we have 4 children; Charlotte 16, Lucy 13, Arabella 11 & Oscar 9.

Tony, thank you so much for your time & I really wish you & the MMF well.

You're welcome.

azabob
22-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks TCD, great interview as normal.

Sedat
22-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Tony McGuinness
Probably the biggest disappointment was losing the round 22 clash against Melbourne at a packed Western Oval in 1987.
Short of the 1997 prelim, this loss was the most shattering I've endured as a Dogs supporter. I cursed Ricky Jackson for years after, especially when we decided to draft him and he gave us nothing. Unlike most neutral supporters, I was very happy to see the Dees lost the unloseable prelim to the Hawks that year.

It would have been amazing to have made the finals in 1987, especially considering the most horrendous start to a season you could get (we lost our first 3 games by a close to a combined 300 points). I've heard Mick Malthouse say that, apart from Collingwood in 2002, no collective group he has coached got as much out of their combined ability as the 1987 Bulldogs. The years 1986 to 1988 were really lost years for us - we started building under Malthouse in 1984 and just missed out on September action, then made fantastic progress in 1985, but we really dropped the ball in 1986 with a better list (the inclusion of Rance and Maguiness) and failed to build on Malthouse's early terrific platform for the remainder of the 80's.

Fantastic interview TCD. I wonder which team young Oscar will choose to play for if he ends up making the grade.

bornadog
22-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Who has priority over father/son if young Oscar turns out ok.

Sedat
22-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Would be like the Cloke scenario I'd imagine, the choice would be theirs.

Rocket Science
22-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Freddie!!

Another sterling interview TCD.

Was such a tremendously consistent player for us and lovely bloke to boot.

The Coon Dog
22-04-2009, 02:14 PM

According to Tony, Oscar is not the least bit interested in footy!

If he did, then the bidding system comes into play. If one of the 2 clubs involved is prepared to match another club's bid then that club will get him. If both clubs matched a bid, I'm not too sure what happens there.

westdog54
22-04-2009, 06:23 PM
According to Tony, Oscar is not the least bit interested in footy!

If he did, then the bidding system comes into play. If one of the 2 clubs involved is prepared to match another club's bid then that club will get him. If both clubs matched a bid, I'm not too sure what happens there.

Only one way to find out I guess. Probably the team with the earliest pick.

I wonder if Tony knew about Collingwood's 'offer' to bail us out if we were short during the fightback, what his reaction might have been

Rocco Jones
22-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Great work TCD.

strebla
22-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Well done TCD one of my another of my all time faves great stuff!!

alwaysadog
22-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Great chat with a terrific player. Had a booming left foot, could kick the ball a very long way for a quite small player. Anyone know how he got the nickname Freddie?

I cursed Ricky Jackson for years after, especially when we decided to draft him and he gave us nothing.

Wasn't he injured in a practice match before he played a game for us and had to retire?

Sedat
23-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Wasn't he injured in a practice match before he played a game for us and had to retire?
You're right - I should have phrased my previous post with "didn't play a game" as opposed to "gave us nothing".

Ricky Jackson was drafted by the Dogs under the little known "play a blinder against us for his old club" rule - I think Justin Pickering and Daniel Bandy were also drafted under this rule. Thankfully we didn't also go after Nigel Fiegert, Luke Vogels and Marty McGrath as well.

alwaysadog
23-04-2009, 02:05 PM
You're right - I should have phrased my previous post with "didn't play a game" as opposed to "gave us nothing".

Ricky Jackson was drafted by the Dogs under the little known "play a blinder against us for his old club" rule - I think Justin Pickering and Daniel Bandy were also drafted under this rule. Thankfully we didn't also go after Nigel Fiegert, Luke Vogels and Marty McGrath as well.

I can see a surface appeal, fills a gap or adds a new dimension sort of reasoning. The trouble with this thinking is that it puts consideration 2 before consideration 1, which is can he really play like that consistently or is this a flash in the pan?

The Coon Dog
24-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Anyone know how he got the nickname Freddie?

When he was younger Tony resembled a character in a TV show by that name.

alwaysadog
24-04-2009, 04:18 PM
When he was younger Tony resembled a character in a TV show by that name

Thanks TCD, I used to hear Dougie calling him Freddie and Tony not looking terribly impressed by the moniker.

Glove38
25-04-2009, 11:16 AM
* Chris Grant - Probably up there with Ted & Doug as the greatest players to represent the club.

One thing i agree with.

Alan Shorty
27-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Great interview. Thanks.

Throughandthrough
30-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Cheers TCD.

The Foundation is very high profile in Adelaide; and does a hell of a lot of good.

The two Macs behind it will leave an amazing legacy for many years.

I'm pretty sure i was at the first game he really played for Footscay, was the pre-season cup thingy knockout thing versus....Glenelg @ footy park!

I'm a raging Glenelg fan as well (go every week; as i mention on here as often as i can) and went to that game with many Bays mates.

I dunno the crowd (maybe 10K give or take 5k) and i think there was me and one other bloke in the stands barracking for the dogs

(the dogs won easy)

PS Freddy's wife

http://www.nws9.com.au/graphics/general_content/teams/georgina_bio.jpg

Remi Moses
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM

Yeah remember Fiegert playing a blinder at Optus Oval when Port came from 7 goals down at quarter time.:eek:Had the S.A mullet to boot.

Remi Moses
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Wasn't there an issue with Tony and Studley Cornes

Throughandthrough
06-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Wasn't there an issue with Tony and Studley Cornes

Yep

But they worked together professionally well after that, so they moved on with their lives...

Throughandthrough
09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
coincidentally saw Freddy in Rundle Mall yesterday!

KT31
10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Great work again TCD.
Keep them coming.

Throughandthrough
09-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Bumped into Freddy at the Glenelg game yesterday, had a chat about his interview with this site.

He was very pleased that the general concensus was that people were sad to see him leave, but understood why he returned to Adelaide. We then contrasted that to the reception that Doggy's fans have given Terry Wallet on this site..