PDA

View Full Version : Ward <-------> Chapman

Scorlibo
22-04-2009, 05:42 PM
When Ward was first drafted, many made the call that he was very similar to Nick Dal Santo, but after seeing him myself over the last couple of years, it is apparent that he doesn't have the agility or natural awareness of Dal Santo. What he does have though is a hardness for the contest, good core strength, goal sense and effective disposal which make him most similar to Paul Chapman.

Does anybody else see similarities and if so, does Chapman's career provide a blueprint for Ward's and how he should best be used? He is one who has been said is hard to find a position for, but could his role be the same role that Chappy has played for Geelong - half forward occasionally pushing into the middle.

Dancin' Douggy
22-04-2009, 09:35 PM
When Ward was first drafted, many made the call that he was very similar to Nick Dal Santo, but after seeing him myself over the last couple of years, it is apparent that he doesn't have the agility or natural awareness of Dal Santo. What he does have though is a hardness for the contest, good core strength, goal sense and effective disposal which make him most similar to Paul Chapman.

Does anybody else see similarities and if so, does Chapman's career provide a blueprint for Ward's and how he should best be used? He is one who has been said is hard to find a position for, but could his role be the same role that Chappy has played for Geelong - half forward occasionally pushing into the middle.

I think he just LOOKS like Dal Santo. Same upright running style and similar physique.

alwaysadog
22-04-2009, 10:55 PM

If he is anything like as good as Chappy I'll be ecstatic. The Cats No 35 is a genuine champ, and a no fuss one.

Mantis
22-04-2009, 11:27 PM
If he is anything like as good as Chappy I'll be ecstatic. The Cats No 35 is a genuine champ, and a no fuss one.

Gee I hate how that term gets thrown around so loosely. Chappy's little mate in the no.29 jersey is going to be a champ, but unless he plays out of his skin for the next 4 or 5 years he (Chapman) isn't going to be known as one.

alwaysadog
23-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Gee I hate how that term gets thrown around so loosely. Chappy's little mate in the no.29 jersey is going to be a champ, but unless he plays out of his skin for the next 4 or 5 years he isn't going to be known as one.

I'm very particular about how I use that term and it was done with intent. Might lack the flash of others but has got the ticker.

I don't know what you are on tonight Mantis, let's forget the brouhaha after Cooney "pinched" his Brownlow, but I can scarcely believe that you have missed the media saturation that Ablett attracts which already contains that term.

In fact it might have skipped your attention but there are some already claiming that he is better than his father.

Mantis
23-04-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm very particular about how I use that term and it was done with intent. Might lack the flash of others but has got the ticker.

I don't know what you are on tonight Mantis, let's forget the brouhaha after Cooney "pinched" his Brownlow, but I can scarcely believe that you have missed the media saturation that Ablett attracts which already contains that term.

In fact it might have skipped your attention but there are some already claiming that he is better than his father.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Ablett will be a champion of the game either before or after he finishes his career. I doubt think Chapman will reach these lofty heights, but is still a very good player.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Me too. Love how he plays his football and without any carry on. Whether he's deemed a champion player or not, he has been a favourite of mine for ages. Don't know if I've noticed any similarities between Chapman and Ward yet, but early days for Ward.

Sedat
23-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Ward will end up more midfield and less forward, whereas Chapman is the other way around. But they both share an appreciation for putting their bodies on the line where angels fear to tread.

alwaysadog
23-04-2009, 02:59 PM
But they both share an appreciation for putting their bodies on the line where angels fear to tread.

That is a precondition in my book to being a champ and yes Chappie has been doing without much fanfare for almost a decade. Ward shows the early signs of it too.

alwaysadog
23-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Me too. Love how he plays his football and without any carry on. Whether he's deemed a champion player or not, he has been a favourite of mine for ages. Don't know if I've noticed any similarities between Chapman and Ward yet, but early days for Ward.

It's very seldom I get any delight out of watching an opposition player do well against us, but I can't help but dip me lid to Chappie; G & D personified.

The Coon Dog
23-04-2009, 03:06 PM
It's very seldom I get any delight out of watching an opposition player do well against us, but I can't help but dip me lid to Chappie; G & D personified.

Love watching the way Chapman goes about it, like I loved watching Mark Riccuito too, both prepared to put their bodies on the line.

bornadog
23-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I would be prepared to say that Ward puts his body on the line similar to Addison. Ward goes in very hard, but needs to learn the footy smarts that Chapman has. This will come with experience.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Love watching the way Chapman goes about it, like I loved watching Mark Riccuito too, both prepared to put their bodies on the line.

Riccuito was absolute gold. Worth two players in any team.