PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs' Addison is one tough nut

BulldogBelle
23-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Good article on Addison....

Bulldogs' Addison is one tough nut (http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/bulldogs-addison-is-one-tough-nut/2009/04/22/1240079730131.html)
The Age
Jesse Hogan | April 23, 2009

IF MOST footy fans were asked to nominate the Western Bulldogs' toughest player, Mitch Hahn, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross and Dale Morris would likely rate highly.

Inside Whitten Oval, however, a popular choice is the unheralded Dylan Addison.

The 21-year-old flanker was last year described by coach Rodney Eade as "probably the hardest (player) we've got in the team" — a view echoed yesterday by rugged defender Morris.

"Dyl's been awesome. He has a presence about him around the ball," he said of Addison, whose height and weight statistics — 186 centimetres and 83 kilograms — are not exceptional.

"He goes in so hard for it that it's reckless at times. He just throws his body in."

Addison said attacking contests had been an essential part of his game since he began playing senior football as a 15-year-old in Sydney.

"In Sydney … there's nothing like the TAC Cup, so I found myself playing senior football … against men. I think that probably put me in good stead for the physical side of AFL. I was always playing against bigger bodies," he said.

"I just had a theory that you've got to go in hard, otherwise it hurts."

Yet he concedes there is a fine line between asserting yourself in every physical contest in a match, and being seen as a player who takes cheap shots by focusing on rivals instead of the ball.

"Especially with the new rules of hitting late and blocking the space — you can be seen as being cheap," he said.

"If you do hit someone late you're easily branded as someone who's cheap, but if you time it well and are hard as nails you're a fair footballer."

Addison's combative approach resembles that of Adam Sandler's character in the movie Happy Gilmore, who allows himself to be struck on the body by ball machines in an attempt to become tougher. "I don't think I'm that stupid," Addison insisted when asked about the comparison.

Despite the Bulldogs' wealth of running options, Addison managed 17 senior games last season. He has followed that with all four games this year and is averaging almost 16 possessions, rotating between half-back, the wing and midfield.

Addison, the No. 27 pick in the 2005 draft, has in the past been derided in online Bulldogs supporter forums for his kicking ability, although he disagreed with that criticism.

"Not so much my disposal, I don't think … it's just more my decision-making, being composed and having confidence in my kicking … which I think I'm starting to get a hold of now," he said.

Addison does not believe that having high-profile teammates is making it easier for him to avoid the attention of rival teams — "I don't think anyone really gets under the radar at AFL level" — although his junior status means he is rarely recognised by fans.

"I live out in Fitzroy so AFL's not the thing over there. There's bigger issues than AFL over there."

Besides football, Addison is completing a course in business marketing and also enjoys playing guitar, but is not keen to spruik the latter. "I think every second footballer does that," he said.

Scraggers
23-04-2009, 02:36 AM
Addison, the No. 27 pick in the 2005 draft, has in the past been derided in online Bulldogs supporter forums for his kicking ability, although he disagreed with that criticism.

Is this us ??

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Is this us ??

Among others, I'm sure. We certainly haven't been all that complimentary on this board.

Strangely enough, I was one of his most vocal critics of his kicking last year on WOOF, but he's certainly my favourite player. I've always loved the kid for his endeavour, was just frustrated that he kept giving the ball away in the back half. Has certainly improved by leaps and bounds in that aspect though.

Mofra
23-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Has certainly improved by leaps and bounds in that aspect though.
During the Pre-season & the 3 games I've seen he has become one of the more reliable field kicks in the team. That's ignoring his goal under pressure from 2 backman.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 05:04 PM
One of my favourites. Loved the way opposition playes tried to rough him up and he stood his ground and took them on:cool: They don't try that anymore.

BulldogBelle
23-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm hoping Addison can move to the midfield in the coming years

Not saying that he isnt suited to the backline but it would be advantageous for him to have a second dimension to his game

A Paul Kelly type tough nut in the making

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm hoping Addison can move to the midfield in the coming years

Not saying that he isnt suited to the backline but it would be advantageous for him to have a second dimension to his game

A Paul Kelly type tough nut in the making

Already spends more time in the middle this year.