PDA

View Full Version : O'Keefe to Make Debut

LostDog
23-04-2009, 01:35 PM
You heard it here Guy O'keefe will be named for his debut this weekend.

I'm mates with him on Facebook and his status reads
"a legacy begins this sunday as a legend is born"

long overdue in my opinion
Lets hope his kicks are on

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 01:39 PM
YESSSSS!!!!! Wonder if Grant will also get a gig?

Desipura
23-04-2009, 01:49 PM

did he write that legacy? If so, he has a high opinion of himself
The club will have to have a word with him if true as we now how much damage can be done on Facebook/Myspace

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 01:51 PM
It's a facebook update - I wouldn't read too much into it.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 01:55 PM
You dont think he could be referring to Grant?

Im 'mates' with him on Facebook. I bet you 2 are very close!

LostDog
23-04-2009, 02:16 PM
He comes across very arrogent, does write quite a bit of shit

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 02:49 PM
A very young footballer that's arrogant, who would have thought.

Bulldog Revolution
23-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Throwaway line from the young fella, and why wouldn't he be pumped about his first game?

hope he does end up being a legend, and is prepared to do the hard work that it will take.

Mofra
23-04-2009, 03:14 PM

He could also be taking the piss. We'll just have to wait.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 03:18 PM
His real mates would have pulled him up on that and told him he's done crap all, as real mates will do.

comrade
23-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Funny, Willy are only playing Werribee on Sunday?

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I work with his brother- i'm going to try and suss it out and see if he really is playing.

Ozza
23-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I met Guy's father in a box at the North game a few weeks ago - and if the boy is like his old man - he will be fine. Very down to earth - had things in perspective - and by the sounds of it Guy has put in the work and the performances to earn his first game - hope it does come about - if not this week, soon.

bornadog
23-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I met Guy's father in a box at the North game a few weeks ago - and if the boy is like his old man - he will be fine. Very down to earth - had things in perspective - and by the sounds of it Guy has put in the work and the performances to earn his first game - hope it does come about - if not this week, soon.

Have also met his father and agree a very down to earth bloke.

The Adelaide Connection
23-04-2009, 04:21 PM
I wrote on facebook that I fight crime at night. I don't generally.

Next thing you know we will start believing the journalists.

strebla
23-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I hope he does play happy to see a legacy begins a footballer without confidence is not going to crack it in the bigtime

The Adelaide Connection
23-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I hope he does play happy to see a legacy begins a footballer without confidence is not going to crack it in the bigtime

So do I. I only know what I have read from the various Willy watchers and what they have written excites me. But if it isnt this week surely it is not too far away.

LostDog
23-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Eade on the radio , flirting with the idea of O'Keefe or Grant

aker39
23-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Eade on the radio , flirting with the idea of O'Keefe or Grant

O'Keefe is not playing this week

LostDog
23-04-2009, 04:43 PM

funny all the likes of John Shaw, Callen Ward, a Bobby Murphy all congratulated him

vho
23-04-2009, 04:45 PM
what time are the team sheets released? was it 4 or 5?

Mofra
23-04-2009, 05:18 PM
5pm in theory, but they've been late the last couple of weeks.

Happy Days
23-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Good on him for getting a gig, but geez, thats such a douchey status update.

G-Mo77
23-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Good on him for getting a gig, but geez, thats such a douchey status update.

It's probably not meant to be taken all that seriously.....

Happy Days
23-04-2009, 05:57 PM
It's probably not meant to be taken all that seriously.....

Oh I know...still kinda douchey.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2009, 06:03 PM

Sunday game, so a squad of 25 will be named. I'd almost bet he'll be named in the squad but won't play.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 06:04 PM
EXCLUSIVE: PRIZED Western Bulldogs draft pick Jarrad Grant is poised to make his debut against Carlton on Sunday. Grant, injured in a bizarre stingray incident early last year, was taken with pick No.5 in the 2007 draft.

He will be named in the Dogs' 18 and barring a mishap between now and match day, will come in to bolster the forward line.

Grant showed his talents in a NAB Cup clash with Essendon earlier this year. He is a smooth mover and dangerous overhead.

The Dogs may also pull another surprise with potential first-gamer Guy O'Keefe named on the extended bench.

Robert Murphy will return and Adam Cooney is also in the mix to play against the Blues.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25375364-19742,00.html

The Adelaide Connection
23-04-2009, 06:06 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS v CARLTON
Western Bulldogs
B: Dylan Addison, Brian Lake, Tom Williams
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Dale Morris, Ryan Hargrave
C: Josh Hill, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Robert Murphy, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Jarrad Grant, Will Minson, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Shaun Higgins
I/C (from): Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Jarrod Harbrow, Guy O’Keefe, Liam Picken, Stephen Tiller, Callan Ward

In: Everitt, Grant, Murphy, O’Keefe
Out: Jason Akermanis (suspended)

New: Jarrad Grant (Dandenong U18), Guy O’Keefe (Geelong U18)

Three names to come out of the extended bench. I know quite a few have been waiting for Eagleton to slip up, but I think he would be desperately unlucky to go if you consider all four games.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2009, 06:11 PM
EXCLUSIVE: PRIZED Western Bulldogs draft pick Jarrad Grant is poised to make his debut against Carlton on Sunday. Grant, injured in a bizarre stingray incident early last year, was taken with pick No.5 in the 2007 draft.

He will be named in the Dogs' 18 and barring a mishap between now and match day, will come in to bolster the forward line.

Grant showed his talents in a NAB Cup clash with Essendon earlier this year. He is a smooth mover and dangerous overhead.

The Dogs may also pull another surprise with potential first-gamer Guy O'Keefe named on the extended bench.

Robert Murphy will return and Adam Cooney is also in the mix to play against the Blues.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25375364-19742,00.html

No he's not.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah baby~!

I think it is a good move, play players who Carlton don't have a handle on yet.

The Underdog
23-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Three names to come out of the extended bench. I know quite a few have been waiting for Eagleton to slip up, but I think he would be desperately unlucky to go if you consider all four games.

But not if you consider his last 10.
I actually would be surprised to see him dropped but he's obviously on notice. He's tried hard this year but his kicking skills seem to be on the wane and to be honest if he hasn't got that he hasn't got much.

The Adelaide Connection
23-04-2009, 06:19 PM
But not if you consider his last 10.
I actually would be surprised to see him dropped but he's obviously on notice. He's tried hard this year but his kicking skills seem to be on the wane and to be honest if he hasn't got that he hasn't got much.

I think O'Keefe will miss (especially with Grant an almost certainty to play) but I agree that Eagleton wont be dropped this week. With his recent form in mind and also that there were obviously a lot of blokes not quite firing last week it would be very harsh. There is no doubt that if he plays he needs to play well or next week I dont think he will be as lucky.

Stevo
23-04-2009, 06:54 PM
O'Keefe is not playing this week

I'm hearing the same an its a shame. Young players struggle to fold their form for an extended period (Robinson from Carlton for example) and right now O'Keefe has hit his straps and will probably be denied a great opportunity.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm hearing the same an its a shame. Young players struggle to fold their form for an extended period (Robinson from Carlton for example) and right now O'Keefe has hit his straps and will probably be denied a great opportunity.

No different to older players.

GVGjr
23-04-2009, 07:02 PM
No different to older players.

The difference being that most of the older guys have some credits in the bank.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 07:04 PM
The difference being that most of the older guys have some credits in the bank.

True, but some (okay, one) of them used their credits up a looong time ago.

Mantis
23-04-2009, 07:37 PM
True, but some (okay, one) of them used their credits up a looong time ago.

It's music to my ears reading this.

I'm think of creating a new society on this forum along the lines of the the Ben Hudson Beard Society.

Something along the lines of GETA.... No clues's to working out what it stand's for.;)

Scorlibo
23-04-2009, 07:52 PM
lol Give Eagleton The Axe society. Has a certain ring to it.

bornadog
23-04-2009, 07:52 PM
It's music to my ears reading this.

I'm think of creating a new society on this forum along the lines of the the Ben Hudson Beard Society.

Something along the lines of GETA.... No clues's to working out what it stand's for.;)

Down boy down boy:D

Here is your Avatar you requested

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/2156371.jpg

Mantis
23-04-2009, 07:57 PM
lol Give Eagleton The Axe society. Has a certain ring to it.

I was thinking the arse... but axe is ok too.;)

AndrewP6
23-04-2009, 10:12 PM

I'm Facebook friends with an "Eric Clapton"...hometown Greece...methinks not everything you read on the Net is true...and in my own status updates, most of it is made up cr*p...

AndrewP6
23-04-2009, 10:13 PM

:D:D:D Great stuff...

lemmon
23-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Well done to the young fella if he gets ago, very talented kid.

Axe Man
24-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I noticed on Facebook that there are 2 groups of interest:

1. Guy O'keefe is better at football than Easton Wood - 62 Members

2. Easton Wood is better at football than Guy O'keefe - 10 Members

Looks like Guy is winning that battle.

Mofra
24-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I noticed on Facebook that there are 2 groups of interest:

1. Guy O'keefe is better at football than Easton Wood - 62 Members

2. Easton Wood is better at football than Guy O'keefe - 10 Members

Looks like Guy is winning that battle.
They're from the same area, so probably just mates stirring them up anyway. I'm in a few niche groups on facebook as well.

Ozza
24-04-2009, 11:39 AM
They're from the same area, so probably just mates stirring them up anyway. I'm in a few niche groups on facebook as well.

They grew up together - went to the same school.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 12:31 PM
What about Everitt? Seems to be on the cusp of senior selection most weeks, this week again he makes the extended bench.

Cyberdoggie
24-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I was thinking the arse... but axe is ok too.;)

I'll sign up to this group!

In fact i've also thought about creating a lowlights package of Eagles career and putting it on you tube.

Only problem is it might go a bit long.

Just last weeks game will go for 15 minutes. Let's see, there were 3 smothers when going for goal, numerous shanked kicks when not under pressure, kicking off 1 step, getting caught, and hitting posts.
The video will be accompanied by the "Benny Hill" theme music, and i will slightly speed up the tape to go with it! :rolleyes:

Mofra
24-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Can't believe how much some people want to bag out their own players.

Fact is, Eagle has provided us good service over the years and has bled for the club, in addition to almost dying on the field (literally). Many players would not have been able to recover from that. I say it takes courage.

Some people here need to take a real look at themselves and ask what sort of supporters they really are.

azabob
24-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Fact is, Eagle has provided us good service over the years and has bled for the club, in addition to almost dying on the field (literally). Many players would not have been able to recover from that. I say it takes courage.

Some people here need to take a real look at themselves and ask what sort of supporters they really are.

Tend to agree. One could argue that Eagleton has had a better 2009 than Johnson.
IMO Eagelton should've been finished a five or so years back, but somehow he turned his mind set around and played some decent football and acutally put his body on the line when it was his turn to go. No one can deny that.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Whilst your points are fair enough (albeit slightly generous) about his "service", he is pretty lucky to have avoided the axe this week. His efforts were well below par and unluckily for him - some were at crucial moments in the game, which is why there's a fair bit of angst here. Criticism (whether it is constructive or scathing) is required sometimes, whether that be from fans of club management. Eagleton is in that bracket of players at our club that has never performed consistently over the journey and supporters are entitled to air their grievances.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 01:43 PM
It's safe to say Eagleton has taken over as whipping boy from Farren Ray and Sam Power. Everyone just has to get used to the fact that he will be the player that is called to be dropped the most until he retires or is delisted. Once that happens, then I reckon Tiller is next in line.

Cam Wight is not even good enough to be considered to be dropped from the best 22 :D

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I'll sign up to this group!

In fact i've also thought about creating a lowlights package of Eagles career and putting it on you tube.

Only problem is it might go a bit long.

Just last weeks game will go for 15 minutes. Let's see, there were 3 smothers when going for goal, numerous shanked kicks when not under pressure, kicking off 1 step, getting caught, and hitting posts.
The video will be accompanied by the "Benny Hill" theme music, and i will slightly speed up the tape to go with it! :rolleyes:

ROFL....:D

I was pretty cranky during the times in the match when had those 3 kicks in a row smothered, have settled down a bit since then.
He has got a big left foot, but he is consistently inconsistent with his kicking.....

I wouldnt mind getting a look at O'Keefe, his form last year for Willy was generally pretty good, and he did well last week. Probably been one of the better performers from the 07 draft.

Could it be that the match comittee doesnt have a position for him in the current team?

Mofra
24-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Whilst your points are fair enough (albeit slightly generous) about his "service", he is pretty lucky to have avoided the axe this week. His efforts were well below par and unluckily for him - some were at crucial moments in the game, which is why there's a fair bit of angst here. Criticism (whether it is constructive or scathing) is required sometimes, whether that be from fans of club management. Eagleton is in that bracket of players at our club that has never performed consistently over the journey and supporters are entitled to air their grievances.
Criticism yes. Outright vitriol such as per some of the comments here, no. There has to be some balance, not a constant criticism of whetever a player does. Just a little balance would be nice. I wonder how Minson or Hahn would fare on this board if given the same treatment or scrutiny? That's assuming they could ever get the ball as much as Eagle does on a regular basis.

The comments relate back to the O'Keefe (possible) selection. More power to the kid if he gets his chance, but it 's a hard call to replace relentless gut running with a debut player and expect the same level of performance. I only hope Guy is marked a little more kindly than Eagle in the post match discussion.

Mantis
24-04-2009, 02:43 PM

That's all a bit dramatic isn't it?

Most of the criticism of Eagleton I have read over the past week or so has not accused him of being 'soft' or 'gutless' just that his kicking & decison making has been/ was poor.

You may also find that a fair bit of the criticism of Eagleton is done with the tongue firmly planted in the cheek, but I guess we have to be super serious all the time.

And yes sorry for posting in this thread..... but soemtimes you just have to respond.

Mantis
24-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Criticism yes. Outright vitriol such as per some of the comments here, no. There has to be some balance, not a constant criticism of whetever a player does. Just a little balance would be nice. I wonder how Minson or Hahn would fare on this board if given the same treatment or scrutiny? That's assuming they could ever get the ball as much as Eagle does on a regular basis.

The comments relate back to the O'Keefe (possible) selection. More power to the kid if he gets his chance, but it 's a hard call to replace relentless gut running with a debut player and expect the same level of performance. I only hope Guy is marked a little more kindly than Eagle in the post match discussion.

Can you quote these posts for me because I'm having a hard time working out which one's contain these 'vitriol' comments?

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 02:54 PM

Most of the criticism of Eagleton I have read over the past week or so has not accused him of being 'soft' or 'gutless' just that his kicking & decison making has been/ was poor.

You may also find that a fair bit of the criticism of Eagleton is done with the tongue firmly planted in the cheek, but I guess we have to be super serious all the time.

And yes sorry for posting in this thread..... but soemtimes you just have to respond.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6324/georgeharrisonallthings.jpg

The Adelaide Connection
24-04-2009, 03:34 PM

It is all good and well to kick a bloke when he is down, but did everyone else notice that most of the numerous Eagleton haters were very quiet when he was named in the best a few weeks in a row?

But back to the thread topic, I would love to see O'Keefe in action with all that I have read. But if he is not quite part of the best team then I would rather wait.

Mofra
24-04-2009, 04:31 PM

If you think that's all he has been accused of over the course of his career, constantly, than I disagree.

You're better than this comment Mantis.

Go fot it. a live thread is better than a dead one.

Mofra
24-04-2009, 04:35 PM
It is all good and well to kick a bloke when he is down, but did everyone else notice that most of the numerous Eagleton haters were very quiet when he was named in the best a few weeks in a row?
Was it 9 tackles a couple of weeks back?
How quickly they wait to jump all over him.

But back to the thread topic, I would love to see O'Keefe in action with all that I have read. But if he is not quite part of the best team then I would rather wait.
Addison was in the emergencies how many times? Even not being picked, it must have helped him a bit. I would argue he certainly grabbed every opportunity that came his way.

Sometimes just being named in the extended squad must give a player a bit of a spark, especially when they have been playing well for an extended period of time. If Guy misses out, I'd be rapt if he came out and had another 25+ possie game for Willy. The heat will stay on the group which is really what we need to take the next step (look at Geelong).

Ozza
24-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Eagle should be dropped because sometimes when a bloke is terrible - you just have to drop him. His form over the first few games hasn't been good.
v Freo - was ordinary and then tuned in for a few goals once the game was over.
v Nth Melb - no impact.
v Richmond - quite good.
v WCE - absolutely hopeless.

I didn't become an eagle basher until this year - the reason I am on his case now is because I believe he is past his use by date. I thought his last game should have been the Geelong Prelim to be honest - just my opinion.

Rocket Science
24-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Not sure it's all one-way traffic, there was a recent five-page thread devoted to Eagleton's generally improved play and more specifically his focus on the 'one-percenters' over the first 3 rounds.

The fact that it was thread-worthy however is fairly telling in itself.

Mantis
24-04-2009, 06:15 PM

Can you name all the Eagleton haters who post on here regularly?

Mantis
24-04-2009, 06:18 PM
If you think that's all he has been accused of over the course of his career, constantly, than I disagree.

I would think that most of the 'crass' comments occur at the other site and not here.

The comments here have more to do with his ability to use the ball well rather than his ability to put his head over the ball, etc..

Mantis
24-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Was it 9 tackles a couple of weeks back?
How quickly they wait to jump all over him.

Who are we talking about?

Me? Who else?

comrade
24-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Back to the original topic - it seems that unless a late change beckons, young Ocka's legacy might have to wait before it begins.

The Underdog
24-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Back to the original topic - it seems that unless a late change beckons, young Ocka's legacy might have to wait before it begins.

Maybe he was talking about Jarrad Grant.

comrade
24-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Well you would hope so, I guess.

Mantis
24-04-2009, 06:41 PM

Hopefully he is correct if thats the case.

Also hope O'Keefe plays another good one for Williamstown to keep the pressure on the main team, but I guess with Cooney & Aker back for our rd 6 clash it will be pretty hard to force his way into the team.

He may need to purchase a voodoo doll and hope for an injury (he can borrow mine if he hasn't got one.;))

comrade
24-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Hopefully he is correct if thats the case.

Also hope O'Keefe plays another good one for Williamstown to keep the pressure on the main team, but I guess with Cooney & Aker back for our rd 6 clash it will be pretty hard to force his way into the team.

He may need to purchase a voodoo doll and hope for an injury (he can borrow mine if he hasn't got one.;))

I betting there are a lot of puncture wounds in that doll's bald head ;)

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 08:11 PM
With grant comming in this week I would like to see him stay in for a couple of weeks to get a feel for the the big dance. His development into a vital part of our line up over the comming seasons though he may be beaten in some contest if we can fast track him I think it may be worth the persistance

Jasper
26-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I think we have made a mistake not playing O'Keefe so I hope he has a top game again today. Don't forget to set your IQ's :)

LostDoggy
26-04-2009, 10:34 AM
... Don't forget to set your IQ's :)

Done!

Topdog
26-04-2009, 12:15 PM
BTW on the Eagle talk he wasn't overly confident of finishing off this season in the firsts and he actually named O'Keefe as the guy that would take his spot.

dogman
26-04-2009, 12:16 PM

I think you have misunderstood his status. To me, he is clearly talking about Grant playing his first game:cool: Surely he wouldn't be pumping his tyres up to that extent.

Mofra
26-04-2009, 12:42 PM
BTW on the Eagle talk he wasn't overly confident of finishing off this season in the firsts and he actually named O'Keefe as the guy that would take his spot.
Source? This is interesting if true. Pros and cons to both guys I'd guess. Would be good for the club if some sort of changing of the guard occurred, with Guy full of confidence for a hard pre-season and a tilt at joining our regular best 22.

wb_age
26-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I get the feeling the Murph will pull out last minute and O'Keefe will get a run.

I'm taking my number #30 Guernsey just incase!

LostDoggy
26-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I think we have made a mistake not playing O'Keefe so I hope he has a top game again today. Don't forget to set your IQ's :)

Are you a cable foxtel user? I have satellite and can't record 7 yet..I will have to record the fox sports replay tonight

GVGjr
26-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Are you a cable foxtel user? I have satellite and can't record 7 yet..I will have to record the fox sports replay tonight

I think Jasper was referring to recording the ABC for the Williamstown vs Werribee clash. I've just started watching it.

lemmon
26-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I think Jasper was referring to recording the ABC for the Williamstown vs Werribee clash. I've just started watching it.

Ha ha its definitley old style footy

GVGjr
26-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Ha ha its definitley old style footy

Just watching the game now and some of the kicks into the wind are going backwards. :)

Topdog
28-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Source? This is interesting if true. Pros and cons to both guys I'd guess. Would be good for the club if some sort of changing of the guard occurred, with Guy full of confidence for a hard pre-season and a tilt at joining our regular best 22.

Actually my memory screwed myself up. He mentioned Easton Wood as the guy who would replace him and it was said at the Poker tables at Crown.

comrade
28-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Actually my memory screwed myself up. He mentioned Easton Wood as the guy who would replace him and it was said at the Poker tables at Crown.

I'd love for Wood to get a run. He is very fast and his attack on the ball is second to none, but he is still quite raw.

Seems to be behind a few on the list as well.

lemmon
28-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I'd love for Wood to get a run. He is very fast and his attack on the ball is second to none, but he is still quite raw.

Seems to be behind a few on the list as well.

Just his build and the way he moves reminds me a lot of a young Ricciuto. He is probably in competition with Reid and O'Keefe but IMO he has the most upside of the lot.

Mofra
30-04-2009, 02:48 PM
So, what does O'Keefe's facebook profile say now? Any clues?

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Guy O'Keefe is spanking the monkey!
1:58pm like? comment?