PDA

View Full Version : Which win over Carlton did you most enjoy?

The Coon Dog
24-04-2009, 02:56 PM
There are a few to choose from.

My top 3 are:

R11, 1991. WB 8.9.57 d Carl 1.10.16 (WO)
We had kept Carlton goalless until the final minute when Stephen MacPherson gave away a free kick & Mark Arceri kicked truly with a wet sodden ball from 50 metres out. It was cold, wet, miserable & truly wonderful. For the 15 & a half thousand there it was pure joy.

R1, 1985. WB 21.10.142 d Carl 17.10.112 (PP)
A beautiful sunny day to welcome in a new season. Beaser kicked 9 that day, but for me it was the debut of Brad Hardie that stood out, just in everything, easy to pick out with long sleeves & red hair.

R5, 1990. WB 15.13.103 d Carl 10.13.73 (PP)
A windy day at Princes Park, so bad a flag pole atop the grandstand snapped & fell, injuring some spectators. A young Chris Grant was tested as David Rhys-Jones tried every trick in the book to unsettle him. It didn't work!

There are many others, but I'll leave them for the likes of Sockeye who can remember every game ever played.

bornadog
24-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Georgiadis kicking eight on debut, can't remember which game, but also the opening game for the season.

I thought Chris Grant was picked up by one of our current assistant coaches that day and gave him a real bath.;)

1993 or 94 when Scott Wynd was knocked out and Barry Stanfield went into the ruck.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2009, 03:38 PM
There are a few to choose from.

My top 3 are:

We had kept Carlton goalless until the final minute when Stephen MacPherson gave away a free kick & Mark Arceri kicked truly with a wet sodden ball from 50 metres out. It was cold, wet, miserable & truly wonderful. For the 15 & a half thousand there it was pure joy.

R1, 1985. WB 21.10.142 d Carl 17.10.112 (PP)
A beautiful sunny day to welcome in a new season. Beaser kicked 9 that day, but for me it was the debut of Brad Hardie that stood out, just in everything, easy to pick out with long sleeves & red hair.

A windy day at Princes Park, so bad a flag pole atop the grandstand snapped & fell, injuring some spectators. A young Chris Grant was tested as David Rhys-Jones tried every trick in the book to unsettle him. It didn't work!

There are many others, but I'll leave them for the likes of Sockeye who can remember every game ever played.

Yes I remember this one well. I was standing between the 2 stands that day. What a travesty of justice it was when Carlton kicked their only goal with only minutes to play. We won easily but I was upset when Arceri's kick went through. I still am.:rolleyes:

Sedat
24-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Round 1 or 2 1983 - reigning wooden spooner v reigning back-to-back premiers. Dogs got up in one of the biggest upsets in VFL/AFL history, and it was the start of our climb back to respectability after 3 laughably non-competitive seasons under Royce Hart.

Sockeye Salmon
24-04-2009, 04:08 PM
What about Cookie giving SOS a bath and finishing up with a bag at PP circa 98 when we pumped them? (Unfortunately Fat Lance repaid the favour later that year). There was another game around then where Cookie had 4 touches, 4 goals up to half time and spent the rest of the game on the bench while that idiot Loaf took over at FF and didn't get a touch.

There was another one in about 96 that we narrowly lost at the G where Jose kept Williams to one kick for the day and that came from a bullshit free with about 2 minutes to go.

craigsahibee
24-04-2009, 04:17 PM
All of them.

Arrogant bunch of Henry's (the thirds).

Mofra
24-04-2009, 04:24 PM
39 seconds left in the match wasn't there? That is my favourite by a fair way.

Twodogs
24-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Prince's Park 2000. We beat them by less than a goal after Trent bartlett got the dodgiest free kick right in front in the last minute. The win was precious because Carlton had won their previous 10+ games and were looking forward to the week after when they played Essendon, who were undefeated.

I've got a photo of Rohan Smith walking up the race pointing to the bulldog on his jumper as the Carlton supporters let him have it on my wall from that game.

Desipura
24-04-2009, 04:57 PM
how about Robert Murphy's debut at Princess Park when he kicked the winning goal.

The Coon Dog
24-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Prince's Park 2000. We beat them by less than a goal after Trent bartlett got the dodgiest free kick right in front in the last minute. The win was precious because Carlton had won their previous 10+ games and were looking forward to the week after when they played Essendon, who were undefeated.

I've got a photo of Rohan Smith walking up the race pointing to the bulldog on his jumper as the Carlton supporters let him have it on my wall from that game.

how about Robert Murphy's debut at Princess Park when he kicked the winning goal.

Same game.

Dry Rot
24-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Ah, the memories

http://www.geocities.com/kingsley_hunter25/trent.jpg

Whatever happened to that Bring Back Bartlett movement? IIRC he always played well against Carlton.*

*He may have only played a few games against them.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 06:15 PM
What about the one at a wet Whitten Oval when they kicked their only goal of the game from a dodgy free against Steve McPherson to Mark Arceri with a minute reamining in the game?

edit - Whoops already mentioned!, i'm tired

Sedat
24-04-2009, 10:24 PM
27 frees to 9 for the day in our favour. Close to Nathan Brown's best game for the club - absolutely dominated off half back and repelled countless Carlton attacks.

Another example of Teflon's occasional rabbits out of the hat working a treat - Garlick kicked 6 goals out of 11 isolated one-out at full forward on Andrew McKay.

angelopetraglia
24-04-2009, 11:05 PM
27 frees to 9 for the day in our favour. Close to Nathan Brown's best game for the club - absolutely dominated off half back and repelled countless Carlton attacks.

Another example of Teflon's occasional rabbits out of the hat working a treat - Garlick kicked 6 goals out of 11 isolated one-out at full forward on Andrew McKay.

+ 1 for my favourite Carlton victory. That was a great day out at Princes Park.

Remi Moses
25-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Worst loss was 2007 for mine. Has Mcmahon found lappin yet?the 91 result was my favourite . The 83 result was very enjoyable coming off the spoon and carlton winning the flag.

Dogs 24/7
25-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Barry Standfield replacing Scott Wynd in the ruck very early on in the game at PP and he played a blinder.

strebla
25-04-2009, 09:41 AM
The one in the early eighties as a young bloke watching Bluey Hampshire being carried of if I wasn't a doggies supporter then I wasn't far off.The one where Arseri (I know it is spelled incorrectly Coon Dog)got a late one as previously mentioned standing at the geelong road end freezing my bum and then theft not happy still!!!

GVGjr
25-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Barry Standfield replacing Scott Wynd in the ruck very early on in the game at PP and he played a blinder.

Yes I remember that one and Standfield played one of his best games for us.

Desipura
25-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes I remember that one and Standfield played one of his best games for us.
Wynd swallowed his tongue after a heavy knock.

Sockeye Salmon
25-04-2009, 11:43 AM

Will be the featured game on Footy Flashbacks tomorrow.

angelopetraglia
25-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Will be the featured game on Footy Flashbacks tomorrow.

Fantastic stuff. Will definitely be recording that one to hopefully watch on Sunday night after we rack up another win against the Blue boys.

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 11:48 AM
My Dad was a big Blues supporter, so any win against them felt great. But I think the 91 in the wet at the great Western Oval is the best memory.

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 11:14 PM
39 seconds left in the match wasn't there? That is my favourite by a fair way.

Agree.