PDA

View Full Version : Pre - game discussion thread

Mantis
24-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Seeing as though there was no preview done this week I suppose we can use this thread to discuss this week's coming game.

Teams:

WESTERN BULLDOGS v CARLTON

Western Bulldogs
B: Dylan Addison, Brian Lake, Tom Williams
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Dale Morris, Ryan Hargrave
C: Josh Hill, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Robert Murphy, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Jarrad Grant, Will Minson, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Shaun Higgins
I/C: Nathan Eagleton, Jarrod Harbrow, Liam Picken, Callan Ward
Emg: Andrejs Everitt,Guy O’Keefe, Stephen Tiller,

In: Grant, Murphy
Out: Jason Akermanis (suspended), Stephen Tiller

New: Jarrad Grant (Dandenong U18)

Carlton
B: Bret Thornton, Michael Jamison, Andrew Carrazzo
HB: Chris Johnson, Jarrad Waite, Paul Bower
C: Nick Stevens, Marc Murphy, Heath Scotland
HF: Jordan Russell, Simon Wiggins, Kade Simpson
F: Cameron Cloke, Brendan Fevola, Eddie Betts
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Chris Judd, Bryce Gibbs
I/C: Dennis Armfield, Ryan Houlihan, Aaron Joseph, Setanta O’hAilpin,
Emg: Steven Browne, Richard Hadley, Joe Anderson

In: Carrazzo, Jamison, O’hAilpin, Scotland
Out: Shaun Grigg (ankle), Sam Jacobs (thigh), Mitch Robinson, Richard Hadley

We look to have a decided edge in the ruck so will need Hudson & Minson to give us first use of the ball out of the middle. In saying that I thought the same last year, but IIRC Cloke & Kreuzer tore our 2 a new one in the last qtr & a half last season and gave Judd and co. a free ride in the centre which in turn lead to Fevola getting quite a few lace out passes.

Fev has been yabbering about our inability to play 'accountable' footy through the midfield, which probably was a bit of a case in last years game, let's hope we can close them down and expose the suspect Carlton defence.

We have played quite a few 'shoot-out' style games against Carlton recently and have come off second best on each occassion so let's hope we can make this one a tough/hard encounter.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Fev has been yabbering about our inability to play 'accountable' footy through the midfield, which probably was a bit of a case in last years game, let's hope we can close them down and expose the suspect Carlton defence.

Were we unaccountable before we got to 38 points up in that game?
I really hope Carlton think that cos I think we will give them a bath.

Mantis
24-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Were we unaccountable before we got to 38 points up in that game?

How do you account for the 10 goal turn-around then? (I know there was a number of factors, but are midfield did get pantsed late in the game didn't help)

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Eagleton named on the interchange bench hey ...

A question - did we train at docklands this week, or do we ever train down there? I read in today's Hun (hard copy, not on line) that Fevola and others were down there yesterday practising shots on goal and wondered if our club did the same.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 11:17 PM
How do you account for the 10 goal turn-around then? (I know there was a number of factors, but are midfield did get pantsed late in the game didn't help)

I think they got us at a fortunate time last year we were assured a finals birth and top 4 was pretty much secured they flirted with form and loaded them up to try and prevent a fall away in fitness. The team was pretty much stuffed in the last halves against Melbourne and the blues.

bornadog
24-04-2009, 11:40 PM

A question - did we train at docklands this week, or do we ever train down there? I read in today's Hun (hard copy, not on line) that Fevola and others were down there yesterday practising shots on goal and wondered if our club did the same.

I don't believe we trained there. Lets hope Fevola kicks points only.

Remi Moses
25-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Must take control of the midfield and cut off supply to the dickhead at FF.

craigsahibee
25-04-2009, 12:40 AM

I questioned that too MsB. Surely the Stadium Manager wouldn't have separate rules for each club. That just would not be fair.

BulldogBelle
25-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Surely the Stadium Manager wouldn't have separate rules for each club. That just would not be fair.

Usually a club has to make a request to train at Etihad Stadium. Which is what Carlton would've done.

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 10:48 AM
So Murph & Grant in..

Could there be a possible late change? Out: Murph In: OKeefe?

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 10:54 AM
So Murph & Grant in..

Could there be a possible late change? Out: Murph In: OKeefe?

I don't think so. I think there is a fair chance that Murphy will play.

strebla
25-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I think Murph will play he didn't do a lot last week but will be better for the run

bornadog
25-04-2009, 12:52 PM
So Murph & Grant in..

Could there be a possible late change?

In Everitt, Out ???

Happy Days
25-04-2009, 01:42 PM
In Everitt, Out ???

Wouldn't have thought so.

Our backline matches up pretty well against their forward line.

Addison/Harbrow - Betts
Lake - Fevola
Williams - Cloke
Hargrave - Simpson
Morris - Wiggins
Gilbee - Russell (Most likely a tag on Lindsay)

The need for another tall defender isn't really prevalent.

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Usually a club has to make a request to train at Etihad Stadium. Which is what Carlton would've done.

I see. I was immediately thinking there was some Carlton/Collo conspiracy going on.

The Coon Dog
25-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, why was there no game thread/opposition player profile this week?

Mofra
25-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Eade said post match the team were in a load-up phase of their training, and as such simply ran out of legs as the game wore on. At that stage last year we seemed more focussed on getting the guys right for finals rather than worrying about the result of one match against pretender. Personally I still would have rather won, simply because of my hatred for Carlton.

Mofra
25-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Addison/Harbrow - Betts
Lake - Fevola
Williams - Cloke
Hargrave - Simpson
Morris - Wiggins

Addison wouldn't play on a small goalsneak, I'd say Hargrave or Harbrow will get first crack at Betts.

If Waite goes forward (which I expect) we will be a little short.

Mantis
25-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Addison/Harbrow - Betts
Lake - Fevola
Williams - Cloke
Hargrave - Simpson
Morris - Wiggins

I don't think Addison will play on Betts. Dylan rarely (never) plays on the quick/ agile forwards.

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Shame Tim Callan isn't right. He's tailor made for these jobs that we're asking Harbrow to do at the moment. Having said that, it's a good part of Jarrod's development and if he can add this string to his bow it would do the team good. I'm worried about this match-up though.

What do we do when Waite goes forward? Does Murph follow him back?

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 02:33 PM
ps. Very small bench we've gone with this week.

Mantis
25-04-2009, 02:37 PM
ps. Very small bench we've gone with this week.

Run, run and more run..... Might need it coming off the Perth trip.