PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast aims for young midfield talent

BulldogBelle
25-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Higgins in Clayton's sights......

Gold Coast aims for young midfield talent (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25385307-19742,00.html)
The Herald Sun
Jay Clark | April 26, 2009

TALENTED Western Bulldogs midfielder Shaun Higgins faces a million-dollar decision about whether to become the public face and future captain of the new Gold Coast football club. The 21-year-old rising star is out of contract at Whitten Oval this season and has become a priority target for the Gold Coast following disinterest from Geelong onball genius Gary Ablett and Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin.

Higgins already is in talks with the Dogs about a long-term deal, but by extending his contract by only one season he would certainly ensure an astronomical offer to join the 17th AFL franchise late next year.

The skilled midfielder is among the first few AFL players to have to seriously consider the option of moving north, although it is believed Higgins, a former Geelong Falcon junior, will put his club before cash.

In Queensland, he could earn up to $800,000 a season as a vice-captain or, potentially, as the captain, or roughly half that chasing a premiership with the tight-knit Western Bulldogs.

Complicating Higgins' decision is the future of his out-of-contract coach, Rodney Eade.

In two years Higgins will be 23 and primed to become one of the competition's midfield stars.

Western Bulldogs' football manager James Fantasia said all clubs were approaching a difficult phase trying to keep their players, but he was confident Higgins would remain a big part of the promising future at Whitten Oval.

Gold Coast has an extra $1 million in its salary cap with which to lure the AFL's premier players and can poach a maximum of one player from each club next October.

Coast chiefs believe its luxurious draft concessions, including nine first-round picks in next year's National Draft will allow it to challenge for a premiership within its first four years.

Higgins, whose first four games this season have underlined his standing as one of the AFL's best young midfield/forward talents, is already a respected member of the Dogs' leadership group and is being groomed to one day skipper the club.

Gold Coast recruiting manager, Scott Clayton, who crossed from the Dogs last year, has a strong connection with Higgins, having first drafted him with a steal, pick 11 of the 2005 National Draft.

Higgins' maturity, leadership, kicking efficiency and goalscoring capabilities are attributes' high on Clayton's wish list, with the new club chasing a classy playmaker of his calibre to build a midfield around.

St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt is still high on the Coast's agenda, although the club's focus has intensified on the current middle-tier players and youngsters, like Higgins, with significant upside.

Other known early Gold Coast priorities include Queenslanders' Dayne Beams, from Collingwood, St Kilda pair Sam Gilbert and David Armitage, Adelaide key forward Kurt Tippett and Fremantle onballer Rhys Palmer.

AndrewP6
25-04-2009, 10:27 PM
God I hope Higgins does what it says, and puts club before cash. He's an important part of any future success for us.

LostDoggy
25-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Umm, just a thought, perhaps "Missy" can talk it over and get a couple of points of view on this - one from Turtle and the other from 'Naf'! One made the decision that loyalty to a club etc. etc., meant more to him than the lure of more dollar-bucks, and the other has had his karma!:):D Ahh, can you tell I'm not particularly sad about one of these players??

LostDoggy
26-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Just thinking out loud. Would hate to see Higgo go -- BUT if he did:

He would have to command some serious first round picks you would think, since G?C17 have no players to trade with. At least 3 first round picks (and maybe 1 later round pick): 1 pick in the top 5 and another in the top 10, you would think.

One of these picks (the 2nd one between 5 and 10 you would suggest) may then be on-traded (along with a player or two) in a deal for Pavlich, who will be out of contract at the same time as the Higgins trade would take place (end of next season).

--

Of course, if Grant or Boumann or Cordy look like being the answer KPF, then forget about Pav and hang on to Higgo for dear life.

chef
26-04-2009, 07:48 AM
He's out of contract at the end of this year, so all we need to do is offer him two years and he can't be touched.

The Coon Dog
26-04-2009, 10:34 AM
He's out of contract at the end of this year, so all we need to do is offer him two years and he can't be touched.

We can offer him a 10 year contract, but if he doesn't sign it......

Dogs 24/7
26-04-2009, 11:56 AM
God I hope Higgins does what it says, and puts club before cash. He's an important part of any future success for us.

I know what you are saying but club/fan/player loyalty isn't what it once was and he would be crazy to not to consider it. It wasn't that long ago and he was copping a fair old bagging from our own supporters and I know players will cop that anywhere but it must be easier to take with an extra $100,00 in the pocket for 3 years.

Our point of difference would be that we can offer him finals games and GC won't anytime soon. Thats our major selling point.

Topdog
26-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Thank God it is so easy. You should get in touch with the 16 AFL clubs and let them know.

Mofra
26-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Just thinking out loud. Would hate to see Higgo go -- BUT if he did:

He would have to command some serious first round picks you would think, since G?C17 have no players to trade with. At least 3 first round picks (and maybe 1 later round pick): 1 pick in the top 5 and another in the top 10, you would think.
Do we get anything?

I'm fairly sure the rule about poaching 1 uncontracted player from each club means it is done so outside of normal trade rules, so we could lose Higgins for nothing.

I almost feel for the first star player to sign with GC with the club gaining nothing - given they will almost certainly have their house fire-bombed and become a figurehead for hatred amongst opposition AFL fans.

hujsh
26-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Do we get anything?

I'm fairly sure the rule about poaching 1 uncontracted player from each club means it is done so outside of normal trade rules, so we could lose Higgins for nothing.

I almost feel for the first star player to sign with GC with the club gaining nothing - given they will almost certainly have their house fire-bombed and become a figurehead for hatred amongst opposition AFL fans.

An independent council will decide what picks he is worth

The Pie Man
26-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Did this story look manafactured to anyone? I saw this as pointless journalism, looking to extract something out of nothing to either destabalise (e.g 'Complicating Higgins' decision is the future of his out-of-contract coach, Rodney Eade.' What exactly does this imply?) or just to fill a spot in the sports pages when struggling for content.

I dunno, maybe I'm overeacting but I was annoyed reading it this morning. I'd be supremely confident he'll stay

bulldogtragic
26-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Lets just do what Freo did to Pay, WCE did to Judd (although it didn't work) and have what the Saints did.

Lets have mulitple captains, in fact 8 captains - Coons, Griff, Higgo, Grant, Tommy, Lake, Roughy and Cordy.

GC17 have got too much of an advantage. I hope our group is as tight as the others.

hujsh
26-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Lets just do what Freo did to Pay, WCE did to Judd (although it didn't work) and have what the Saints did.

Lets have mulitple captains, in fact 8 captains - Coons, Griff, Higgo, Grant, Tommy, Lake, Roughy and Cordy.

GC17 have got too much of an advantage. I hope our group is as tight as the others.

Offer them bonuses outside their contract (Riewoldt). Not Sure Smorgo can go that at

Sockeye Salmon
26-04-2009, 09:16 PM
The whole thing sounded like an advertisement to me.

MEMO TO ALL AFL FOOTBALLERS

Positions Vacant.

Franchise players wanted. Package $800K for right person. Apply to Scott Clayton.