PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Griffen

LostDoggy
26-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Is anyone else a bit disappointed by his output so far this season? I had high hopes that he would really start to shine this year but it just hasn't quite clicked for him so far.
He hasn't been bad he just hasn't been a star.

Could we be playing him out of position?

boydogs
26-04-2009, 10:05 PM
It seems as though he has dropped off since Cooney was taken out of the side two weeks ago, taking the number 1 tag maybe. Don't like him deep in the forward line though as he was today - defensive rebounder, midfielder and half forward flanker yes but not leading from the goalsquare

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2009, 10:07 PM
He's working hard, and I think he's doing ok without setting the world on fire. He is still learning to deal with being the number 1 tagging target

I personally would still like to see him spend some time at half back. I'm not completely sold on him at half forward.

lemmon
26-04-2009, 10:13 PM
He'll be better off when Cooney gets back and he doesnt cop as much attention, he's heavily blocked at contests though to stop him receiving and running. I wouldnt mind seeing him win a bit more of his own footy in the contest though.

Mantis
26-04-2009, 10:16 PM
He'll be better off when Cooney gets back and he doesnt cop as much attention, he's heavily blocked at contests though to stop him receiving and running. I wouldnt mind seeing him win a bit more of his own footy in the contest though.

Do his team-mates halp him out in these situations?

Geelong players move heaven and earth to try and free up their best clearance player (Ablett) at each and every contest. Do we do the same?

lemmon
26-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Do his team-mates halp him out in these situations?

Geelong players move heaven and earth to try and free up their best clearance player (Ablett) at each and every contest. Do we do the same?

Honestly I dont think we do, we probably lack the depth and talent of a Geelong in the middle of can spare a man like Corey or Enrite at the contest to look after Ablett.
Saying that though Ablett is just as adept at getting his own ball so you cant keep him out of the contest, something Griffs got to work on. Ottens has a fair impact with his taps to advantage as well that gives Ablett and co the best oppertunity.
Our boys could definitley do more to look after the runners though, but today it was hard when your main ball carrier is out and all the pressure is on you.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Griff has been pretty disappointing for mine. He's really struggled the last three weeks to find any sort of space. I can barely remember him taking a run and bounce in any of the last three games. He's obviously copping a hard tag and as noted above, we aren't doing a whole lot to protect him and help him out, but at the same time I think Griffen should be doing a lot more than he is.

Aside from Higgins and Boyd though, our midfield has been ordinary this year. Even Crossy has been very average IMHO.

bulldogtragic
27-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Good point about protection. When Judd was at WCE the opposition couldn't gte near him. Initially at Carlton i don't think he was used to checking being so close.

Griff needs a chop out and both he and Gilbs have seemed out of sorts or out of position in the last 2 games. Something needs tweeking with these two very, very talented boys.

Stefcep
27-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Saying that though Ablett is just as adept at getting his own ball so you cant keep him out of the contest, something Griffs got to work on. Ottens has a fair impact with his taps to advantage as well that gives Ablett and co the best oppertunity.

Yeah but does anyone else think Ablett gets far more time to find a "prior opportunity" when he's tackled with the ball than any other player in the AFL. He gets time enough to do a 360 degree turn until someone comes by him so that he can dish off the handball. For a guy that gets tackled with the ball so much, he hardly ever gets pinged for holding it.

The Adelaide Connection
27-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah but does anyone else think Ablett gets far more time to find a "prior opportunity" when he's tackled with the ball than any other player in the AFL. He gets time enough to do a 360 degree turn until someone comes by him so that he can dish off the handball. For a guy that gets tackled with the ball so much, he hardly ever gets pinged for holding it.

Totally agree. His reputation that he is amazing seems to play on the umpires minds and they give him a lot more time to get rid of it.

Sedat
27-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Griffen and Gilbee are the first names penciled in by the opposition match-commitee for close attention. They can both run and carry, and then (usually) distribute it with quality delivery over the zone and to advantage. They need to get used to the attention because it won't be going away any time soon.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Could Griffen play off half back next week perhaps? Saints don't have an overly 'quick' midfield.

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Griffen is being hurt by the lack of space being provided by his teammates to work in - how often yesterday when Carlton had the ball did the doggies go to the ball like an under 11s team leaving their opponents to use the space presented to run through. Carlton were much more disciplined when we got a touoch, creating pressure and poor decision making by closing out options for the doggies to run through.

Cyberdoggie
27-04-2009, 10:12 AM
It seems as though he has dropped off since Cooney was taken out of the side two weeks ago, taking the number 1 tag maybe. Don't like him deep in the forward line though as he was today - defensive rebounder, midfielder and half forward flanker yes but not leading from the goalsquare

I agree, he was wasted up forward.
Bad coaching move that didn't pay off.

I'm not sure if Rocket has noticed that we aren't running the ball through the middle out of defence anymore.

We are always on the defensive and crossing the play and going along the boundary. Not taking any risks through the middle the way Griff and Gilbee used to do.

Often we get the ball now and the opposition just know we are going across the other side and leave holes through middle. Our players often aren't even looking down the corridor to see what's available.

Ozza
27-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I was extremely disappointed with Griffen this week. I watched him pretty closely - and in so many contests, he and Judd went at the ball - and Judd followed up to the second contest with Griff bludging behind.

I honestly don't think he is fit enough - because he goes missing for 2 quarters every game - and his second efforts are not always there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Griff has been pretty disappointing for mine. He's really struggled the last three weeks to find any sort of space. I can barely remember him taking a run and bounce in any of the last three games. He's obviously copping a hard tag and as noted above, we aren't doing a whole lot to protect him and help him out, but at the same time I think Griffen should be doing a lot more than he is.

Aside from Higgins and Boyd though, our midfield has been ordinary this year. Even Crossy has been very average IMHO.

Agree TBB, his line breaking runs are pivotal to us. Whilst his previous 2 weeks before the Carlton game weren't good, his effort, and workrate didn't waver, he was just not able to break the tag. Hopefully our coaching staff can work on our other mid's to get him some support, because Griff along with Cooney are pivotal to our run and polish.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 07:28 PM

THANK YOU! I've subscribed to that theory for ages! I think Judd is given too much time as well..

boydogs
27-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I thought of Judd reading that as well. It's like because they keep the arms free the umps won't pay it

soupman
27-04-2009, 08:24 PM
THANK YOU! I've subscribed to that theory for ages! I think Judd is given too much time as well..

I think the likes of Judd also get the benefit of the doubt in regards to disposal of the ball in a tackle. He often looks to have thrown it, but it seems the umpires assume he disposed of it correctly because he is so good and usually does.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I think the likes of Judd also get the benefit of the doubt in regards to disposal of the ball in a tackle. He often looks to have thrown it, but it seems the umpires assume he disposed of it correctly because he is so good and usually does.

Exactly :)... and another reason for me to pay out on the monkeys...sorry, "umpires"... they make a call based on an assumption, rather than what they see... and the call changes depending on the player... ridiculous.

Mantis
27-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Having just watched the game on tape I can't agree with many of the comments in this thread. I thought he was one of our better players for the first 3 quarters, but seemed to miss a fair chunk of the last qtr (perhaps off with the knock to his knee)

I thought his work at the clearances was excellent.

dog town
27-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Doesnt work hard enough and never has. It is nothing to panic about though. Ablett was in the same boat 3 years ago. Griff has the ability to be in the top handful of players in the comp, he might just need a kick in the bum. He doesn't get enough handball receives and uncontested marks which is always an indicator for work ethic.

LostDoggy
28-04-2009, 07:30 PM
My mate got me good today. Told me Griffen was out for the year with a knee injury. My immediate reaction 'bye bye premiership chances'.

Ozza
29-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Having just watched the game on tape I can't agree with many of the comments in this thread. I thought he was one of our better players for the first 3 quarters, but seemed to miss a fair chunk of the last qtr (perhaps off with the knock to his knee)

I thought his work at the clearances was excellent.

On tv/tape - you don't have the benefit of seeing how hard a player is working though - and whether he is chasing or following up with second efforts.

Watching Griff closely - he didn't work nearly as hard enough as the Carlton midfielders.

Throughandthrough
01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
hooray

We spent a week of the last school holidays staying at Goolwa (home of...)

One of my young lads was wearing his WBU top while mucking around at a play ground for an hour or so.

As we were leaving, he said 'a lady came up to me and told me that Ryan Griffin used to play on this play ground all the time"

I then asked him what he said in return, and apparently it was not much

Sadly; the "mystery lady" had long left!

Will spend the rest of my life wondering who she was.......:confused:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2009, 07:50 PM
hooray

We spent a week of the last school holidays staying at Goolwa (home of...)

One of my young lads was wearing his WBU top while mucking around at a play ground for an hour or so.

As we were leaving, he said 'a lady came up to me and told me that Ryan Griffin used to play on this play ground all the time"

I then asked him what he said in return, and apparently it was not much

Sadly; the "mystery lady" had long left!

Will spend the rest of my life wondering who she was.......:confused:

forever to be a mystery... but the spelling of the players name isn't...it's Griffen:p