PDA

View Full Version : Tom Williams????

easybeat
27-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm no expert of football that's for sure.
But to me, Tom Williams just doesn't look to have what it takes to be a league footy player.
Ok, he hasn't had a lot time to "develop" ( a problem in it's self-injury), but he just doesn't seem to have a sense of the game. Getting caught with the ball too often, always feeding off the ball to people in worse situations....
Is it just me?, am I reading this all wrong?, or do people think he's been a bit of a waste of time?

Jasper
27-04-2009, 12:17 PM
It's just you. He got rundown from behind because their was no one telling him Simpson was coming, he hit gia lace out and i think lake as well.(no bad from a guy who didn't kick a footy until 16) He is strong over head and reads the ball well in flight. Lastly he is quick and can run all day, whats not to like.

Mofra
27-04-2009, 12:17 PM
He helps our structure no end, can spoil well, has teh confidence to go for marks, and can actually kick teh ball now (he's even taken a couple of kick ins).

I think he has helped us and I don't see his place in the side under threat at all.

Sedat
27-04-2009, 12:25 PM
It's just you. He got rundown from behind because their was no one telling him Simpson was coming, he hit gia lace out and i think lake as well.(no bad from a guy who didn't kick a footy until 16) He is strong over head and reads the ball well in flight. Lastly he is quick and can run all day, whats not to like.
Lake also dished it off to him with an inconsequential handball because he wanted to get rid of the responsibility of distributing the ball up forward, and then didn't provide the shepard or the call to Williams that he was about to be set upon. To be fair, Williams' effort in the goal square that resulted in Sentanta's goal was poor - as a collective group, we haven't handled the change to the rushed behind rule at all well.

Williams has kepy his direct opponent quiet in all 4 games thus far, and has freed up the likes of Lake and Hargrave to be more damaging counter-attackers as a result. Our backline is the least of our concerns at the moment to be honest.

easybeat
27-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Fair enough. Maybe I just notice all his mistakes.
I like Tom, and I'd like him to fulfill the potential that everyone sees in him.
I wasn't just talking about yesterdays efforts though, every one was woefull yesterday.

bornadog
27-04-2009, 12:49 PM
But to me, Tom Williams just doesn't look to have what it takes to be a league footy player.
Ok, he hasn't had a lot time to "develop" ( a problem in it's self-injury), but he just doesn't seem to have a sense of the game. Getting caught with the ball too often, always feeding off the ball to people in worse situations....
Is it just me?, am I reading this all wrong?, or do people think he's been a bit of a waste of time?

Dunstall on MMM said he needs to learn about peripheral vision and look around a bit when he hasn't got the ball to see who is around him.

Don't forget he has only played 24 games, so he is like a second year player, yet we expect him to hold down a key position like CHB.

wb_age
27-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Dunstall on MMM said he needs to learn about peripheral vision and look around a bit when he hasn't got the ball to see who is around him.

Don't forget he has only played 24 games, so he is like a second year player, yet we expect him to hold down a key position like CHB.
Spot on, I saw on many occasions where he'd be running back to defence with only his direct opponent in sight, completely disregarding Carlton streaming down the wing with the ball and free players all around him.
That being said, he was running at the speed of light.

bornadog
27-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Spot on, I saw on many occasions where he'd be running back to defence with only his direct opponent in sight, completely disregarding Carlton streaming down the wing with the ball and free players all around him.
That being said, he was running at the speed of light.

Cost the doggies at least three goals, but will learn from the experience.

I believe he also had ankle soreness so hope is ok for this week.

aker39
27-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I believe he also had ankle soreness so hope is ok for this week.

I'm sure he went off the fround at the 5 minute mark of the 1st quarter and had a jab.

Remi Moses
27-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Still inexperienced in Footy terms. He's only played 20 odd games now if he'd played 100 games i'd be very worried.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Tommy didn't look flash yesterday, but not many did. He's gonna be alright, methinks...hope he can stay healthy!

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 07:26 PM
I did get people starting threads like this.

He has hardly played football since joining the club, and now this year is starting to get a decent run of games. He is still 'VERY' inexperienced and has a lot to learn, but he definitely has all the markings to be a good KPP.

People just need to look back at how he played against Franklin in Tassie.

I would be surprised if he has played more then 25 games, someone help me out?

Wait until he reaches the 50-70 game area, and has had successive seasons injury free.

craigsahibee
27-04-2009, 09:08 PM

You have to remember that coming from a Rugby background he is conditioned to having the opposition in front of him. Another 18 months of footy at the elite level and he will work it out. I thought his kicking off half back yesterday was good, as noted earlier with passes to Lake and Gia. He is doing more good than harm at the moment. We must perservere with Tom.

Before I Die
27-04-2009, 09:50 PM

Nothing is certain in life, except death, taxes and the first law of football discussion forums.

Law No. 1
Any player who has played less than 20 games is a champion. Any player who has played more than 20 games and is not yet a champion, is a hack.

(Source: Sockeye Salmon)

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 10:08 PM
You have to remember that coming from a Rugby background he is conditioned to having the opposition in front of him. Another 18 months of footy at the elite level and he will work it out. I thought his kicking off half back yesterday was good, as noted earlier with passes to Lake and Gia. He is doing more good than harm at the moment. We must perservere with Tom.

He will pick it all up quickly.

He played for the Junior Wallabies, so he will no doubt be able to cope with AFL.

Mantis
27-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought he was ok.

Sure he made some errors, but he seems to be getting better with every run. As previously mentioned it doesn't help that he is being put under pressure by his more experienced team-mates who should be showing more compusure.

LostDoggy
28-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Doesn't read the flight of the ball well. Gets out marked above the head because he has timing and judgement issues.

For learning purposes, i would like to see him get first crack at Reiwoldt.

Griffo
28-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Those twenty-odd games he's played have been spread out over 2 or 3 years because of his injuries and without even seconds games in between. He just needs time and experience.

Even if he doesn't turn out to be a champ he's pretty useful and a LOT better than anything else we have at the moment.

LostDoggy
28-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Just need him to play a full season!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Doesn't read the flight of the ball well. Gets out marked above the head because he has timing and judgement issues.

For learning purposes, i would like to see him get first crack at Reiwoldt.

I agree with the Riewoldt assignment.

Regarding your initial comments, do you think this could just be down to a lack of experience rather than a flaw in his ability?

The Coon Dog
28-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Posted it on another thread, but Tom won't play v St.Kilda this week. He snapped the tendon that runs along the bottom of his foot. One week out.

hujsh
28-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Posted it on another thread, but Tom won't play v St.Kilda this week. He snapped the tendon that runs along the bottom of his foot. One week out.

Got it here first, Tommy's out for 3-8 weeks.;)

angelopetraglia
28-04-2009, 11:16 PM

He really can't take a trick.

Stevo
28-04-2009, 11:32 PM

I agree with about half of this. Every now and then it seems to click for him but I doubt it will ever be consistent. He's no waste of time but he will need a lot of things to fall into place before he will be regarded as a genuine success story.
By the end of the season we should know what sort of player he might develop into.

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 12:08 PM
He snapped the tendon that runs along the bottom of his foot. One week out.

That he did, he will be sidelined for more than a week from what I've been told.

The Coon Dog
29-04-2009, 12:09 PM
That he did, he will be sidelined for more than a week from what I've been told.

Poor bugger just seem to be able to do a normal footy injury such as a hammy does he?

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Poor bugger just seem to be able to do a normal footy injury such as a hammy does he?

No & it is very frustrating for him.

Desipura
29-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Saw him limp off early in the game and it did not look good. When up the race and came back 5 minutes later running ok. I said to my bro that he obviously got a jab.

The Coon Dog
29-04-2009, 12:37 PM
No & it is very frustrating for him.

You really feel for an AFL footballer who gets injured. Just this week severe ones for Hille, Harvey & Palmer. The effort that players go to to get themselves right to play, only to see it taken from then in the blink of an eyelid. Mentally, these players need to be strong & the club's support networks needs to be pretty darn good too.

It could be easy for a player sitting on the couch with a leg/knee/foot in plaster/a brace to let things get the better of them with frustration.

A young draftee that lived with me back in the 90's broke a bone in his foot & had in plaster for quite a while & missed 3 months. Whilst he never dropped his head you could feel his frustration.

Mantis
29-04-2009, 12:40 PM

From the information you have how long is he likely to miss?

Mofra
29-04-2009, 12:41 PM
IIRC, Rob Harvey was having problems with his, and purposely snapped it by jumping off the kitchen table. Apparently it is only rated as a minor medical issue.

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 12:53 PM
From the information you have how long is he likely to miss?

A couple of weeks provided no setbacks.

The Coon Dog
29-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Phew! I could live with that.

Pembleton
29-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Tom's injuries are usually in dog years. So, 1 to 2 weeks = 7 to 14 weeks. :(

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2009, 01:28 PM
IIRC, Rob Harvey was having problems with his, and purposely snapped it by jumping off the kitchen table. Apparently it is only rated as a minor medical issue.

Harvey had a partial tear and every time he tried to sprint it tore a minute bit more and was painful. The doctor told him that the pain would stop when it tore completely so he climbed onto the kitchen table and jumped off a "few" times until it tore. He played the next week.

Mitch Hahn had it last year as well.

Sedat
29-04-2009, 01:36 PM
It's not related in any way to his navicular injury from 2005-2007, is it?

Rocket Science
29-04-2009, 02:14 PM
If not mistaken, aside from being in the same part of the body (foot) I suspect they're unrelated.

The the plantar fascia is connective tissue around the sole/arch of the foot, while the navicular bone Tom originally broke relates more to the 'top' of the foot.

The Underdog
29-04-2009, 02:18 PM
So we can expect him to be listed as a test on the injury list & named in the team this week then? Or is it likely the Saints have read this and won't be fooled by that?

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2009, 03:33 PM
So we can expect him to be listed as a test on the injury list & named in the team this week then? Or is it likely the Saints have read this and won't be fooled by that?

Ross Lyon is on Woof?

I wonder who he is?

Perhaps he's Ernie Sigley?

The Underdog
29-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Ross Lyon is on Woof?

I wonder who he is?

Perhaps he's Ernie Sigley?

It'd explain why the Saints passed on Ben Cousins.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm actually Gary Lyon.

Sedat
30-04-2009, 10:35 AM
It'd explain why the Saints passed on Ben Cousins.
They might have thought better of pairing up Cousins with Gram

boydogs
01-05-2009, 12:19 AM
They might have thought better of pairing up Cousins with Gram
Boom Tish

Desipura
01-05-2009, 09:11 AM
You really feel for an AFL footballer who gets injured. Just this week severe ones for Hille, Harvey & Palmer. The effort that players go to to get themselves right to play, only to see it taken from then in the blink of an eyelid. Mentally, these players need to be strong & the club's support networks needs to be pretty darn good too.

It could be easy for a player sitting on the couch with a leg/knee/foot in plaster/a brace to let things get the better of them with frustration.

A young draftee that lived with me back in the 90's broke a bone in his foot & had in plaster for quite a while & missed 3 months. Whilst he never dropped his head you could feel his frustration.
That young draftee could play as well!

LostDoggy
30-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Any news on how bad his foot is?

boydogs
30-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Any news on how bad his foot is?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/77893/default.aspx

Tom Williams was a late withdrawal for the Dogs with a plantar fascia injury that kept him out. The injury became famous when Robert Harvey deliberately snapped his troublesome fascia by jumping off a chair until it broke.

“He ripped his plantar fascia three weeks ago, and just had some threads hanging on, and that went on Thursday,” Eade said.

“We brought him up with the thought he’d be able to play, but it was still just a bit sore ... he’ll certainly be available next week.”

Remi Moses
31-05-2009, 02:09 AM
That's good news I think. i reckon Tom is cleaner and makes better decisions than Tiller.

immortalmike
31-05-2009, 03:01 AM
That's good news I think. i reckon Tom is cleaner and makes better decisions than Tiller.

Yeah but I think Tiller is more willing to attack and go on a run.

Go_Dogs
31-05-2009, 11:30 AM

I'm not convinced about that. Tiller has shown quite a few times that he makes good decisions and can dispose of the ball well. Just needs to get his confidence back with an extended run in the side. Will probably be unlucky again this week, but don't think we can discount the solid improvement Tiller has shown. Can easily fill a role, and doesn't make me nervous with the ball in his hands the majority of the time.

Number 3
31-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Tiller was good yesterday. I agree with another poster that Tiller gives us more going into attack, just his preparedness to take the game on a little bit is good. However I think Williams is better at stopping his direct opponent. Would Williams be better off for a run at Williamstown? It certainly seemed to help Tiller.

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Gilbee just stated on the Footy Show, he will be back next week.

hujsh
31-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Gilbee just stated on the Footy Show, he will be back next week.

So had Eade.

LostDoggy
31-05-2009, 03:12 PM
So had Eade.

I know that, as it was posted in this thread.

Just saying that Gilbee also confirmed it, as well as mentioning Murphy.

Mantis
09-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Tom has announced his retirement, effective immediately... Poor bugger.

Greystache
09-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Tom has announced his retirement, effective immediately... Poor bugger.

Did his hamstring stretching in the warm up. Good decision.

ledge
09-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Such a shame , he gave it ten years of trying, body wasn't up to it, I suppose most teams have a chronic injury player

bornadog
09-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Did his hamstring stretching in the warm up. Good decision.
You would be happy about that one.

always right
09-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Let's not go down this path.

I thought he would retire at the end of this season. The hamstring injury has obviously hastened his timing. Staggering to think that he has been at the club for so long yet only played 85 games. Just goes to show what he has gone through over the course of his career. You have to admire his persistence....it would have broken lesser men well before this. You also have to admire the club for sticking by him for so long.

Thanks Tom.....always a bulldog.

Go_Dogs
09-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Sorry to hear, but it was obviously a decision Tom was very comfortable with - I think he's done incredibly well to persevere as long as he has.

Well done Tommy Gun and best of luck with your future endeavours.

The Underdog
09-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Figured it would come by the end of the season. A shame his career was destroyed by injuries the way it was, he showed enormous character to keep on coming back for as long as he did. Thanks big fella & best of luck on the journey.

whythelongface
09-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Good luck tom. Thank you for service. It is a real pity that you were hampered with so many injuries. You could have been a really good player, but alas it was not to be. Chin up and hope you succeed in your future endeavours in life. Remember football is oly part of the journey and there are many exciting times and many challenges that lie waiting.

chef
09-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Good luck in future Tom.

Scorlibo
09-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Good luck Tommy. You'll always be a favourite of mine for that sheer tenacity to keep getting back on the park! A true clubman.

SlimPickens
09-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Stay classy BAD.

Tommy seemed a shadow of himself this year, the shoulder injury against Port last year was the final straw and I must admit I was very surprised to see Tom go around again this year. Terrible luck with injuries which robbed him of a career. Best of luck for the future Tom.

Mofra
09-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Could have been a much better player with a decent run of luck.
Thanks for the years of service Tommy.

Greystache
09-07-2014, 10:14 AM

What a pathetic comment!

He wasn't a great footballer, but he also had a horrid injury run, which is hard for anyone. He was always spoken of as one of the good blokes around the club.

craigsahibee
09-07-2014, 10:25 AM
All the best for the future Tom.

I noticed one of the media reports said that he has retired from professional football. It would have been nice to see Tom play with Footscray next year, but I guess he has just had enough of the rehab. Totally understand.

Never met him but I can only make a judgement based on the level of respect he has at the club and his actions along with Crossy in Hong Kong a few seasons back, to assume that he is a quality bloke.

I'll be forever indebted to Tom for playing a big part in getting us over the line against the Dee's earlier this year.

Cheers mate.

The Pie Man
09-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Played out games (Brisbane in Brisbane a few years ago, Melbourne this year) with injuries suffered in the game and still managed to contribute to those wins, which shows a lot of heart.

Such a shame for him and the club - had all the tools. Wish him all the best and thank him for keeping on as long as he did in spite of all the bad luck.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Congratulations on giving it all over the journey Tom. You've endured more than most in trying to establish your football career. Whilst due to your torrid run of injuries you were never able to scale the heights that you, your family, club and supporters had hoped, you have the admiration of all for your perseverance, determination and character to give it your all.
While no doubt you would be disappointed to have to make this decision I am sure in time it will be of relief to no longer have to put your body through the wringer any longer. I wish you all the very best in your career and life.

AndrewP6
09-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Sad news, though unfortunately not surprising. He deserves admiration for the way he went about it, giving his all for the club, when most would've pulled the pin. Really feel for the guy, and I wish him the best in the next chapter of his life.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2014, 11:41 AM
You can't say he left any stone unturned in trying to get out there. I'm sure there's a re-hab manager job at the club he'd be perfect for.

The age profile at our club just got a bit younger again now, with Gia (end of season) and Williams exiting.

Ozza
09-07-2014, 12:12 PM
A shame that he never got the continuity in his footy to reach his potential. Thought from about game 50 to 70 of his - he began to show us signs of becoming a more than servicable centre half back, who was at his best a bit further up the ground rather than deep in defence.

Well done on 10 years of persistence and what was obviously a great attitude - at the top level.

jeemak
09-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear, but think it's the right decision.

Wish him all the best. He could have been a very good player if given the continuity in footy during his late teens and early twenties.

Thanks for your service Tom.

Daughter of the West
09-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Congratulations on giving it all over the journey Tom. You've endured more than most in trying to establish your football career. Whilst due to your torrid run of injuries you were never able to scale the heights that you, your family, club and supporters had hoped, you have the admiration of all for your perseverance, determination and character to give it your all.
While no doubt you would be disappointed to have to make this decision I am sure in time it will be of relief to no longer have to put your body through the wringer any longer. I wish you all the very best in your career and life.

Hear, hear! You sum it up beautifully YHF.

Wishing you the best of luck for your post professional football endeavours Tom.

Bulldog4life
09-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Such an unlucky player. Never had a good run at it. A great Club man. Best of luck in the future Tom.

GVGjr
09-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Feel very sorry for Tom, wished he had a bit more luck with his injuries. I wish him all the best

I won't forget his game against Melbourne too quickly

lemmon
09-07-2014, 02:05 PM
One of the good guys to have around the club, shame it didn't end the way all wanted it to.

boydogs
09-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Disappointed for him, thought he might have been able to put a couple of good seasons in before throwing in the towel so it didn't all feel like such a waste. Our future is really in the hands of the next generation now

azabob
09-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Rob Murphy's take on Tom Williams.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldog-tom-williams-retires-amidst-tears-and-laughter-20140709-zt0yo.html

BornInDroopSt'54
09-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Tom you always filled me with hope, I never lost faith in you and until the end I felt your best football was in front of you. Thanks for your career at the Bulldogs.

Sedat
09-07-2014, 02:42 PM
I distinctly remember a pre-season NAB Cup (or maybe it was Wizard Cup) match in early 2005 against Carlton. Rocket had just started his coaching tenure and the place was buzzing with excitement after 2 awful years under Rohde. It was a semi-final and we got easily out-played that night, but there was one shining light in the performance of our first-year draftee Tom Williams. He was terrific in that match - unfortunately he sustained a navicular injury late in the game which ruined his next 3 years, the same injury that ruined Matthew Egan's entire career. Tom came back from it and showed some terrific sings in a number of games in 2008, most notably against Buddy in our great win in Tassie when he beat him in several one-on-ones (I know Buddy kicked 5 but most of them were cheap Joe the Gooses). His 2009 and 2010 were actually very good seasons (when he wasn't injured), and provided our backline with much greater balance - Morris didn't have to play tall every week. Since then unfortunately his career never took off because of persistent shoulder and soft tissue injuries.

Of all the player types that need an injury-free run to get the best out of themselves, a tall and athletic player with a limited AFL background would top the list. Poor Tommy never got a good crack at it, and it's a great credit to him that he kept fronting up again and again after every setback.

Thanks for your never-say-die attitude Tom, and best of luck in your future endeavours - you deserve an overdue slice of good fortune.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Sad to see it finally unfold, but it's the right decision for his own sake. The article after (or before?) the Melbourne game articulating how much pain he is in on a day to day basis was incredible, he really needs to put himself first to improve/maintain quality of life.

Hats off for his courage and determination to keep coming back. I know what it's like myself having had to retire from footy at 24, hopefully he sticks around in footy circles as he surely would have a lot to offer on the mental/rehab side of things - particularly for younger players.

bornadog
09-07-2014, 05:12 PM
I distinctly remember a pre-season NAB Cup (or maybe it was Wizard Cup) match in early 2005 against Carlton. Rocket had just started his coaching tenure and the place was buzzing with excitement after 2 awful years under Rohde. It was a semi-final and we got easily out-played that night, but there was one shining light in the performance of our first-year draftee Tom Williams. He was terrific in that match - unfortunately he sustained a navicular injury late in the game which ruined his next 3 years, the same injury that ruined Matthew Egan's entire career. Tom came back from it and showed some terrific sings in a number of games in 2008, most notably against Buddy in our great win in Tassie when he beat him in several one-on-ones (I know Buddy kicked 5 but most of them were cheap Joe the Gooses). His 2009 and 2010 were actually very good seasons (when he wasn't injured), and provided our backline with much greater balance - Morris didn't have to play tall every week. Since then unfortunately his career never took off because of persistent shoulder and soft tissue injuries.

Of all the player types that need an injury-free run to get the best out of themselves, a tall and athletic player with a limited AFL background would top the list. Poor Tommy never got a good crack at it, and it's a great credit to him that he kept fronting up again and again after every setback.

Thanks for your never-say-die attitude Tom, and best of luck in your future endeavours - you deserve an overdue slice of good fortune.

Niicely summed up, and disappointing for him it never worked out. Missed over a hundred games through injury but battled hard through it to get on the park. Can understand his reason to call it a day.

EasternWest
09-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Top guy, huge heart. Sorry to see him go, but something had to give (and his body had given enough).

Played his guts out for us when he was on the park. Wish him all the best.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Great interview up on the website with Murphy/Williams.

Definitely check it out.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2014, 05:26 PM
The re-hab group will lose the dynamic it had, Tom looked a strong and determined figure. As for the flow on effects, I hope our young tall defenders are taking note that there's a spot to fight even harder for now. If in 18-20 years he has a son blitzing in the under age comps, we just miss out as Tom got to 85 games. And what an effort too, an uninjured draftee can knock over 85 games in less than 4 years, it took him a whole career through agony.

LostDoggy
09-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Very sad, showed glimpses of class but
Body kept giving in, all the best to Tom, hope life after footy is kinder

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Very sad. He was very good in 2010.

G-Mo77
09-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Feel for the guy. Injuries were brutal and he just couldn't stay or get healthy. If anything that game against Melbourne he and fans will remember fondly. I know he played a couple after that but that game will stick.

Well battled Tom. All the best for whats ahead.

Maddog37
09-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I think he was blessed to be a part of our great club and seemed to fully grasp that idea. Lived the dream for a lot longer than most ever will and did it all with a smile. Good on him and I hope the next phase of his life is more forgiving than AFL.

LostDoggy
09-07-2014, 09:00 PM
There was no other player that I wanted to see make it more than Tom. Unfortunately his body never let him become the player he wanted.
I think the timing is right as he could give no more.

F'scary
09-07-2014, 09:28 PM
This year, he has been a shadow (when he has played) of what he was like earlier in his career (when he played).

Remi Moses
09-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Terribly sad, and unfortunately some just cop crap luck

The Doctor
09-07-2014, 10:42 PM
I would just like to say well done to Tom Williams.

Injury destroyed what I thought would be a great career. I remember watching him a few times in his 'only 20 games played' before becoming an AFL player, and hoped we would get him. There was just something about him in those junior years that made me think he could be a player with a difference.

Tom seems like a player who loves the Bulldogs and I love players who love the Bulldogs.

SonofScray
10-07-2014, 01:37 AM
I was surprised by how sad I felt at this news. On reflection I can understand what it is. Tom gave his all for our jumper. The consequence of that was very different to the experience we had with a guy like Daniel Cross, but I suppose what I truly value is the effort above and beyond the rewards. All I ever want is for players to apply themselves and show our jumper due respect. Tom did that and fought hard for the opportunities. Has my respect, for whatever that would be worth.

The Club could have, maybe should have, put a fork in him 18 months ago but I am OK with how things panned out because we had a guy who had the talent really try in earnest to reward our support. The Club also showed good grace and lived up to its standards in supporting Tom. Culture is what we repeatedly do and we've enshrined the idea that we look after our own and reasonably expect your absolute best efforts and commitment to the Club.

The footy gods have not been kind to Tom. Nor have they to us come to think of it. He and the fans can share a sigh and understanding nod.

A few memories:
3 goals v Demons.
Solid effort v Franklin in Tassie.
A torpedo on the run at Etihad that must have gone close to 80m.
Handshakes v Port.
General feeling that the back 6 was complete with him in the mix during those PF years.

Murphy'sLore
10-07-2014, 12:11 PM
It was heartwarming to hear that he'd like to go into player welfare, and use his own experience of pain, frustration and disappointment to help others. What a champion person. It would be so easy to have become embittered by such a tragic, stalled career, and in that Age article earlier this year, he certainly sounded weary of the whole merry-go-round. But he seems determined to make the most of what he's had, the lows as well as the highs.

Tommy, I salute you. I hope the next stage of your life is a bit kinder to you than the last decade has been.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Are there superstitions in the club about handing down a jumper number with bad luck with injuries?

Mofra
10-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Are there superstitions in the club about handing down a jumper number with bad luck with injuries?
There was, 19

bulldogtragic
10-07-2014, 12:58 PM
There was, 19

Thank You!!! :)

I was thinking 29, so I googled it and confused myself as I knew it wasn't those gents. 1-9, not 2-9.

Any superstiticous kids game enough at the end of the season to ask for 12??

G-Mo77
10-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Thank You!!! :)

I was thinking 29, so I googled it and confused myself as I knew it wasn't those gents. 1-9, not 2-9.

Any superstiticous kids game enough at the end of the season to ask for 12??

The bleach haired crumpet face wore 12 didn't he? I've pretty much erased his time with us from my memory.

Mofra
10-07-2014, 02:43 PM
The bleach haired crumpet face wore 12 didn't he? I've pretty much erased his time with us from my memory.
21 I think, 12 was his number a Brissie and all through juniors so he just reversed the order

G-Mo77
10-07-2014, 02:45 PM
21 I think, 12 was his number a Brissie and all through juniors so he just reversed the order

Ahh, that sounds about right. Cheers

Hotdog60
10-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Greg Eppelstun by AFL Tables was our longest games for number 12 at 101. For a low number not to many players of distinction.

LostDoggy
10-07-2014, 08:01 PM
I was surprised by how sad I felt at this news. On reflection I can understand what it is. Tom gave his all for our jumper. The consequence of that was very different to the experience we had with a guy like Daniel Cross, but I suppose what I truly value is the effort above and beyond the rewards. All I ever want is for players to apply themselves and show our jumper due respect. Tom did that and fought hard for the opportunities. Has my respect, for whatever that would be worth.

The Club could have, maybe should have, put a fork in him 18 months ago but I am OK with how things panned out because we had a guy who had the talent really try in earnest to reward our support. The Club also showed good grace and lived up to its standards in supporting Tom. Culture is what we repeatedly do and we've enshrined the idea that we look after our own and reasonably expect your absolute best efforts and commitment to the Club.

The footy gods have not been kind to Tom. Nor have they to us come to think of it. He and the fans can share a sigh and understanding nod.

A few memories:
3 goals v Demons.
Solid effort v Franklin in Tassie.
A torpedo on the run at Etihad that must have gone close to 80m.
Handshakes v Port.
General feeling that the back 6 was complete with him in the mix during those PF years.

Killed Franklin that day.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Best of Luck Tommy,

hope post football treats you well and things work out for you.

Has anyone offered him a 'Free" sign up to our WOOF site?

LostDoggy
11-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Love Tommy Williams. Sat at his table at a season launch a few years ago and was struck by how light-hearted he was about his injuries and setbacks. Remember thinking, “Is this guy for real? He should be furious!” Will also remember him saving that young girl's life in Hong Kong with Crossy.

He never got to play enough to be considered a champion footballer, but he certainly managed to show he was a champion bloke.

I think old Teddy Roosevelt said it right in Tommy's case:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-07-2014, 06:17 PM
All the best to the big Queenslander.

LostDoggy
11-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Sad to see you hang up the boots Tommy but thanks for the memories. Best wishes in your future endeavours.