PDA

View Full Version : Akermanis rethink on retirement baffles the Bulldogs

BulldogBelle
28-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Aker.....

Akermanis rethink on retirement baffles the Bulldogs (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/akermanis-rethink-on-retirement/2009/04/27/1240684400432.html)
The Age
Samantha Lane | April 28, 2009

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x227/freeds1/Aker-2.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs hierarchy is confounded by the weekend claims of Jason Akermanis that he is reassessing his previously stated intention to retire at the end of this year.

The 32-year-old Brownlow medallist who sat out round five because of suspension broadcast his revised thoughts on his playing future in a radio interview before the Bulldogs' loss to Carlton.

Contradicting the emphatic statements he made about the end of his playing career in an interview only a fortnight earlier, Akermanis said he had joined the Bulldogs to win a premiership and that if that didn't happen this year he would reconsider his plans.

"I haven't closed the door all the way," Akermanis said of his retirement on radio 3AW.

"I did, certainly, late last year. I felt that where I was going, I wasn't enjoying pre-seasons and it was getting to me, but once I started playing football again it just all changed. I just feel fantastic. I love the group and, to be honest, I came here to win a premiership. And without over-stating the obvious, if that didn't happen this year I would seriously consider making sure that that dream came true."

Bulldogs president David Smorgon and head of the football department James Fantasia were yesterday surprised to learn of Akermanis' revelations.

"Aka was probably feeling a little bit out of sorts given he wasn't on the field where he really wanted to be," Smorgon said before adding that the ex-Brisbane Lion had made what seemed to be a light quip about the possibility of playing beyond 2009 when he was interviewed at the president's luncheon at Sunday's game.

"If his form's good and he's making a contribution and Rodney (Eade) and the match committee think that's OK that he wants to go on, well anything could happen," Smorgon said.

"But I think there's lots of games to be played between now and the end of the year where that will be determined, and that's based on his form on the field, not on what he says off the field."

Less than two weeks ago Akermanis discussed his imminent retirement in an extended interview with The Age. "I can have the best year of my life and win everything under the sun and we can win the premiership and I still wouldn't be interested in going on. I just couldn't go through another pre-season," he said.

"To go another year, I'd probably be financially worse off than going out and working. We'll give it absolutely everything this year, but the bottom line is, after everything I've been through, that I have nothing more to play for."

In the same interview, Akermanis said there was "no real physical reason why I can't play every week" this year, as long as his weekly game loads were well balanced.

Fantasia said yesterday that Akermanis had not raised his apparent change of heart with the football department. "He's given us an indication that he feels that his body might not be able to get through another pre-season," he said.

craigsahibee
28-04-2009, 09:03 AM
At no stage during the article are there claims that the heiarchy are "baffled". These sub-editors that make up headlines are tools.

"If his form's good and he's making a contribution and Rodney (Eade) and the match committee think that's OK that he wants to go on, well anything could happen," Smorgon said.

This does not sound like the ramblings of a baffled man to me.

LostDoggy
28-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Bring it on if his form stays as it has been so far this year.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2009, 09:22 AM
If Aker decides he wants to play another season, I wonder how this might impact upon the club's TPP?

I would imagine that they would be well into planning for next season & losing Aker's salary would have allowed the club to look at offering existing players (such as Higgins) a little extra to keep them from the clutches of GC17.

If re-signing Aker compromises the long term strategy of the club's playing list, I'd have major reservations about doing it.

BulldogBelle
28-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Bring it on if his form stays as it has been so far this year.

Agreed, he brings magic onto the ground and the younger 'brothers' absolutely love him and look up to him. If Aker is fit and raring to go and continues to contribute then I say full steam ahead!

craigsahibee
28-04-2009, 09:44 AM
If Aker decides he wants to play another season, I wonder how this might impact upon the club's TPP?

I would imagine that they would be well into planning for next season & losing Aker's salary would have allowed the club to look at offering existing players (such as Higgins) a little extra to keep them from the clutches of GC17.

If re-signing Aker compromises the long term strategy of the club's playing list, I'd have major reservations about doing it.

"To go another year, I'd probably be financially worse off than going out and working. We'll give it absolutely everything this year, but the bottom line is, after everything I've been through, that I have nothing more to play for."

Maybe Aker understands this and knows he may have to play on the minimum contract.

Sedat
28-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Do we currently have an over-abundance of highly skilled mid sized players that are 100% team-orented, are incredibly smart and are excellent decision-makers? If the body and the mind are both willing, and he maintains a strong and consistent level of form, I'd love to see Aker run around for another season.

I don't think his salary in 2010 is going to be a major issue relevant to GC and managing our overall TPP. He will be on small coin, it would be a 1 year contract, and anyway 2011 onwards will be the key years to get things right with regard to TPP's.

Really poor article attempting to drum up some sort of conflict within the walls at the kennel.

Desipura
28-04-2009, 12:56 PM

if he did play for another year, I would think he would be on considerably less than his current contract. Otherwise I am not too sure the club would be willing to retain him

aker39
28-04-2009, 01:35 PM
I really think this is just a case of the attention seeking Aker, seeking attention.

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 11:22 AM
There are a few people wanting him to go on another year. I think he should.

aker39
29-04-2009, 11:24 AM
We are 5 games in to a season.

I don't think he should be talking about next year.

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 11:38 AM
We are 5 games in to a season.

I don't think he should be talking about next year.

Good on him I reckon he embraces the club & wants to be there & they want him there.

aker39
29-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Good on him I reckon he embraces the club & wants to be there & they want him there.

That's not what he said 2 weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong.

Come the end of the season, if he wants to play on and the club wants him to play on, then I will be all for it.

But lets worry about this year first.

wimberga
29-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I think your reading too much into it Aker39

He was asked about his retirement plans and said what he did. Dont take it as him not focusing on this year. Someone can ask me about playing soccer next year, but im still fully focused on this season

bornadog
29-04-2009, 01:25 PM
That's not what he said 2 weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong.

Come the end of the season, if he wants to play on and the club wants him to play on, then I will be all for it.

But lets worry about this year first.

On Sunday, what he said on the radio was he wanted to play in another premiership and believes this could be the year if not next year. If its next year, he would like to play on. He also said coming to Melbourne was the best decision he ever made.

aker39
29-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I think your reading too much into it Aker39

He was asked about his retirement plans and said what he did. Dont take it as him not focusing on this year. Someone can ask me about playing soccer next year, but im still fully focused on this season

I'm not reading anything in to it. I heard the interview on Sunday and I was shocked. I thought I must have dreamt what I read a week earlier.

Last week in The Age he said this

"I can have the best year of my life and win everything under the sun and we can win the premiership and I still wouldn't be interested in going on. I just couldn't go through another pre-season,"

then a week later he says

I came here to win a premiership. And without over-stating the obvious, if that didn't happen this year I would seriously consider making sure that that dream came true."

wimberga
29-04-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm not reading anything in to it. I heard the interview on Sunday and I was shocked. I thought I must have dreamt what I read a week earlier.

Last week in The Age he said this

"I can have the best year of my life and win everything under the sun and we can win the premiership and I still wouldn't be interested in going on. I just couldn't go through another pre-season,"

then a week later he says

I came here to win a premiership. And without over-stating the obvious, if that didn't happen this year I would seriously consider making sure that that dream came true."

And your point? He has obviously had a change of heart and obviously wasnt going to lie about it.

I dont think that him saying that means that he wont be concentrating on this year. Its not like he is shopping himself around or demanding that he get another contract or anything.

aker39
29-04-2009, 03:27 PM
And your point? He has obviously had a change of heart and obviously wasnt going to lie about it.

I dont think that him saying that means that he wont be concentrating on this year. Its not like he is shopping himself around or demanding that he get another contract or anything.

Change of heart???

In a week.

My point is that Aker likes the attention and sometimes says things just to get the attention.

Rocco Jones
29-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Do we currently have an over-abundance of highly skilled mid sized players that are 100% team-orented, are incredibly smart and are excellent decision-makers? If the body and the mind are both willing, and he maintains a strong and consistent level of form, I'd love to see Aker run around for another season.

I don't think his salary in 2010 is going to be a major issue relevant to GC and managing our overall TPP. He will be on small coin, it would be a 1 year contract, and anyway 2011 onwards will be the key years to get things right with regard to TPP's.

Really poor article attempting to drum up some sort of conflict within the walls at the kennel.

Completely agree with everything there.

alwaysadog
01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Do we currently have an over-abundance of highly skilled mid sized players that are 100% team-orented, are incredibly smart and are excellent decision-makers?

That just about says it all. If he plays out the year well and wants to go on, who in their right mind would say you can't change your mind?

Most were not expecting the latest installment of Aker's latest thoughts on his on field demise, but let's face it coming from Aker who is a great media player, this was very small beer and very little in it deserved a second thought.

So to make an article, and journos have to invent stuff to fill columns these days, it has to be hyped up to the shock-horror level. Which in this case translates as baffled.

I'm baffled as to why anyone is baffled, perhaps Sam Lane or the subbie at The Age is baffled but about what? I'd call it a baffling bafflement. Should we ask Andy to sent out a please explain?

Mantis
03-05-2009, 08:25 PM
"I did, certainly, late last year. I felt that where I was going, I wasn't enjoying pre-seasons and it was getting to me, but once I started playing football again it just all changed. I just feel fantastic. I love the group and, to be honest, I came here to win a premiership. And without over-stating the obvious, if that didn't happen this year I would seriously consider making sure that that dream came true."

Is Aker happy to play til he's 60...;)

The Underdog
04-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Is Aker happy to play til he's 60...;)

God I'd be happy to live long enough to see one but if Aker wants to play in one that could be an infinite number of pre-seasons.