PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Games - Sunday

bornadog
29-04-2009, 12:14 AM
What do people think of twilight games. There are advantages such as you can get home early on a Sunday, but meals are an issue. You either have to eat the rubbish dished up at the ground or wait till you get home.

Personally I would prefer a Saturday Twilight game.

AndrewP6
29-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Don't like the twilight games personally. Prefer regular afternoon games. Night time not bad, but being on a train at night can be a bit 'interesting'!

Mantis
29-04-2009, 08:40 AM
I like this one as if it was a day game on Sunday I wouldn't be able to attend, but can go due to the late start.

Generally I think it's a pain in the bum and this timeslot should be reserved for WA games, although that does cause problems for teams who travel back, as we have found out.

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Twilight games are great but when its summer, daylight savings and even better when the next day is not a Monday.
This another A-league jealously thing by the AFL.

I'm pissed off that we seem to have only Sunday games or the last game of the round.

Desipura
29-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Im tipping TCD will get to see the whole game this week;)

GVGjr
29-04-2009, 11:06 AM
What do people think of twilight games. There are advantages such as you can get home early on a Sunday, but meals are an issue. You either have to eat the rubbish dished up at the ground or wait till you get home.

Personally I would prefer a Saturday Twilight game.

I don't mind it because you get home at a good time. As for the meals perhaps the Sunday roast lunch followed up by taking a few sandwiches for the evening will get passed having to buy food there.

Cyberdoggie
29-04-2009, 01:28 PM
It gives you a chance to get things done on Sunday, For me the 2pm games mean that pretty much the whole day is devoted to the footy.

A twilight game means i can do my "chores" around the house and possibly get to see more footy on the Saturday as i know i will have time to do stuff on Sunday before the dogs game.

You can also go into the city for lunch and have a nice Yum Cha, have a few bevvies then head to the twilight game.

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I detest the twilight time slot. I don't like Sunday games anyway, but a 4:40 pm start is even worse. It's just tacked right onto the end of my weekend. How people wanting to come down from the country to watch the game work around this I don't know.

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty happy about it this week.

Golf on Saturday and Sweetness has a morning shift on Sunday, 3pm finish, just in time to get home and look after the little bloke (too late for him to come on a kinder night).

The Underdog
29-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I detest the twilight time slot. I don't like Sunday games anyway, but a 4:40 pm start is even worse. It's just tacked right onto the end of my weekend. How people wanting to come down from the country to watch the game work around this I don't know.

I don't quite live in the country but it's and hour drive or an hour plus trip for me on Sunday evening timetable so to be honest I hate Sunday twilight games. It's also never broadcast on normal TV so I have to leave the house one way or another to see it. Another case of the broadcast right's dictating the time of AFL games.

Mantis
29-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't quite live in the country but it's and hour drive or an hour plus trip for me on Sunday evening timetable so to be honest I hate Sunday twilight games. It's also never broadcast on normal TV so I have to leave the house one way or another to see it. Another case of the broadcast right's dictating the time of AFL games.

With the amount of cash they are kicking in you would think they should be able to have some sort of say in the scheduling of games.

ledge
29-04-2009, 03:17 PM
I dont mind because i dont work mondays, hahahahaha!

The Underdog
29-04-2009, 04:06 PM
With the amount of cash they are kicking in you would think they should be able to have some sort of say in the scheduling of games.

Also why we'll inevitably end up with Monday night footy and weekly games being played to one third full stadiums for Foxtel's benefit.

Ozza
29-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Twilight game is good for me this week - as I'll go to the first half of the Geelong v Dees match with the girlfriend (Cats supporter) and some friends - and then duck off at half time for the doggies match.

Its WIN-WIN!

I don't mind the twilight games generally - but given the choice - 2pm is best, 1pm can be a bit too early if I'm seedy on a Sunday morn!

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Cant stand twilight games let alone Sunday twilight..when working in the city, its the last place you wanna be on a sunday night ;)

Mantis
29-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm pretty happy about it this week.

Golf on Saturday and Sweetness has a morning shift on Sunday, 3pm finish, just in time to get home and look after the little bloke (too late for him to come on a kinder night).

The big question is: Will you be less happy on Saturday afternoon after shooting 120 (am I being unkind ;) ) or less happy after the game on Sunday night?

Curly5
29-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Is it true you can't take food and drinks into the ground? Not even sandwiches?

aker39
29-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Is it true you can't take food and drinks into the ground? Not even sandwiches?

Not true at all.

You can take anything in, other than from retail outlets.

So you can't take macca's in, or nandos or subway. Although to be honest I've never seen them enforce it.

The kebab shop outside actually just have plan bags so you can take them in.

If you bring the old sanga and thermos, you'll have no worries.

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2009, 10:30 PM
The big question is: Will you be less happy on Saturday afternoon after shooting 120 (am I being unkind ;) ) or less happy after the game on Sunday night?

I'll take 120 on Saturday for a win on Sunday.

bornadog
30-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Interesting listening to some players tonight at a function, they hate twilight games.

Desipura
30-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Not true at all.

So you can't take macca's in, or nandos or subway. Although to be honest I've never seen them enforce it.

As I am someone with a Greek background, it is a souvlaki shop (Souvlaki Way) with "lamb and chicken" not "halal" meat which a kebab has. A very big diiference and much tastier, rant over!

aker39
30-04-2009, 10:32 AM
As I am someone with a Greek background, it is a souvlaki shop (Souvlaki Way) with "lamb and chicken" not "halal" meat which a kebab has. A very big diiference and much tastier, rant over!

As someone with a non greek background, it is easier to spell kebab than souvlaki.

Desipura
30-04-2009, 11:43 AM
As someone with a non greek background, it is easier to spell kebab than souvlaki.
Souva will do, like a foreigner calling someone with an aussie accent a Pom, if you get my drift!

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 04:11 PM
... The kebab shop outside actually just have plain bags so you can take them in. ...

Nandos does the same.

Cyberdoggie
01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Not true at all.

If they see you with a Nando's bag of food, they will tell you to take the food out and throw the paper bag in the bin.

Bizarre i know.

LostDoggy
01-05-2009, 03:15 PM

Not Greek (yiasou, tikanis!), but love souvlakis, don't really like kebabs.

Pure, slightly fatty, charcoaled meat cut straight from the carcass vs. minced, slightly processed, gently cooked meatloaf. No contest.

Desipura
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Not Greek (yiasou, tikanis!), but love souvlakis, don't really like kebabs.

Pure, slightly fatty, charcoaled meat cut straight from the carcass vs. minced, slightly processed, gently cooked meatloaf. No contest.

there is a reason why souvlakis (real meat) is more expensive than kebabs (processed meat)

bornadog
01-05-2009, 03:56 PM
there is a reason why souvlakis (real meat) is more expensive than kebabs (processed meat)

The word Kebab (in Turkish) means BBQ, so any BBQ meats . The type you refer to are called doner (or turning) kebab (BBQ meat)

Rocket Science
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
There's a mob in Kensington who knock out great doner on their own freshly baked turkish bread...it's infinitely superior to that gristly shaved crap you get everywhere that's barely palatable even when you're tanked.

Whether the Turkish or Greek variety, straight up shish/fillet is the way to go.

bornadog
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
There's a mob in Kensington who knock out great doner on their own freshly baked turkish bread...it's infinitely superior to that gristly shaved crap you get everywhere that's barely palatable even when you're tanked.

Whether the Turkish or Greek variety, straight up shish/fillet is the way to go.

mmmm, feel like one now:D

aker39
01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
mmmm, feel like one now:D

Hold that thought until Sunday afternoon and you can get one at half time for dinner at the footy.

bornadog
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Hold that thought until Sunday afternoon and you can get one at half time for dinner at the footy.

Good idea:p

Mofra
01-05-2009, 04:56 PM
There's a mob in Kensington who knock out great doner on their own freshly baked turkish bread...
Tell. Me. Where. Right. Now.

Mantis
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM

I thought you had the hangover yesterday..... Must have been a good one to still feel the need for a big greasy kebab.

Rocket Science
01-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Flemington Kebab House, 301 Racecourse Rd. Forget the labels on the Google Earth image, they're "approximate" alright.

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/9505/kebab.jpg

Lovely blokes. Often stop there en-route to a game, there's always at least one or two other Scrays supporters doing likewise.

Get the lamb shish...You'll have to wait an extra 5-10 mins while they cook it but it's unparalleled.

Whatever you do, don't ask for a souvlaki.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I hate Sunday Twilight games, especially today's one.

Timing sucks and you spend your whole day focused on what turns out to be a football ravaging and then go home by nearly 10pm still pissed your team hasn't actually played well at all all year thus far.

AndrewP6
03-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Hate twilight games.... didn't get home till nearly nine...and have to go to work tomorrow...with two diehard Saints fans... :mad:

bornadog
04-05-2009, 03:46 PM
only 36,000 showed up when really should have been a 40,000 plus crowd.

bornadog
05-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Twilight game hurt crowd numbers, says Smorgon

Samantha Lane | May 5, 2009

THE disappointing turnout to Sunday's anticipated Western Bulldogs-St Kilda clash has puzzled the AFL and reinforced the view of Bulldogs' president David Smorgon that football-goers do not like twilight matches.

While the second Sunday twilight match in Melbourne this year produced the best ratings result this season for broadcaster Fox Sport — the first, between Melbourne and Adelaide, drew a crowd of just 14,129 and rated poorly — Smorgon said fans had again voted with their feet.

A crowd of 36,302 attended Etihad Stadium to watch the match between the first and fourth teams on the ladder after the AFL, which is typically conservative when it forecasts crowds, said it was expecting an attendance in the low 40,000s.

While AFL executive Gillon McLachlan had disputed a pre-match prediction by Smorgon that the crowd would be down by about 5000 because of the 4.40pm start time, the tip of the Dogs president proved correct.

McLachlan said yesterday that the league was disappointed with the attendance to what, at least on paper, was the outstanding match of round six and was investigating the reasons behind it.

"I don't have an explanation for why it was soft," McLachlan said.

"It is a work in progress in terms of what games work there (in the twilight slot) and when … we just need to understand if certain clubs work and if certain others don't.

"I've spoken to (Etihad Stadium boss) Ian Collins and we're looking into the breakdown of the numbers.

"We still think it's a great slot, potentially there are issues with different segments of the crowd but that's the same with every slot. It suits some people and not others. I don't know if it's certain clubs."

Smorgon said yesterday that Sunday's match could have drawn 10,000 more people if it was played earlier in the day.

"It confirmed our fans' lack of support to go to a 4.40 twilight game. And although it might work for Fox Sport, clearly it doesn't work for somewhere between 500010,000 fans who I think arguably we could have expected at that game but who weren't at the game.

"I would have thought the first objective is to get people to come to games of footy, but clearly this is driven by the TV networks and by Fox in particular," Smorgon said.

The match averaged almost 300,000 viewers on Fox and almost 700,000 tuned in during the course of the game.

The Bulldogs won't know for more than a month whether they lost or made money out of Sunday's match. It depends on several factors including the number of club members and cash entries on the day.

Seven more twilight matches will be played in Melbourne this season and four involve St Kilda. On other weeks the late games are either in Adelaide or Perth.

A weekly Sunday twilight fixture is written into the broadcasting rights agreement that lasts until 2011.

The Coon Dog
05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm sure we all know people who didn't attend on the weekend for one reason or another. Friends of mine have young children who had school & kinder the next day & didn't attend for that reason.

If they're going to foist these games upon the supporters, try in during school holidays!

aker39
05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm sure we all know people who didn't attend on the weekend for one reason or another. Friends of mine have young children who had school & kinder the next day & didn't attend for that reason.

If they're going to foist these games upon the supporters, try in during school holidays!

I normally go to the footy with up to 15 people.

On Sunday I went on my own.

Remi Moses
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
The worst time to go,I mean 4.40 overpriced meal at the game. Why don't they just play the game in the Fox studios and be done with it,also interesting to see that Sunday evening/afternoons clash had the highest Fox ratings for the season.Something completely foreign and novel to us all a SATURDAY game against the Demons is approaching,thankfully we have only 2 more Sunday games after this week.:):)Note we only had 30 odd thousand Sunday which just proves the public don't like Sunday twighlight games

LostDoggy
05-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Made the choice to go and watch some local footy instead of going to the game, that was 4 off the 40000. It is a dificult time with young kids - they have already had a big weekend with their own sport and don't need a night out before school the next day.

GVGjr
05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Not sure if it is just he Dogs that have a problem drawing a crowd on a Sunday evening but I would think the push into Monday nights will be even worse.

LostDoggy
05-05-2009, 07:19 PM
only 36,000 showed up when really should have been a 40,000 plus crowd.

Yes, I was surprised at the amount of empty member seats around me (aisle 39). I have had the same seat all the time we have been at Doglands and so have many around me, so it was really noticeable. Not a good time for older people and also those with kids, how would you get them home and settled ready for school the next day? Can't really understand what possible benefits can come from twilight Sunday games :confused:

LostDoggy
05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Not sure if it is just he Dogs that have a problem drawing a crowd on a Sunday evening but I would think the push into Monday nights will be even worse.

I believe there would have been more like 50k for the Dogs v Saints game in another time slot last weekend. There were a lot of empty seats in the membership section I sit in. Too hard for people with young children and folks who have to travel a fair way. I don't think it would matter who played who last Sunday twilight, numbers would be down. Despite some changes with RDO's and shift work, the population is predominantly Mon-Fri, 9-5 and a late Sunday game just doesn't suit. I don't have far to travel to Docklands, have Foxtel and was considering not going (but I did).

As for Monday, I agree the crowds would be small. Maybe it would grow over time - like everything else we're force fed by the AFL perhaps we'd get used to it (as if we have a choice!). My gut reaction is No Thanks. Plus it's nice to have the footy wrapped up by the end of the weekend. Monday is for post analysis and looking towards next weekend.

azabob
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes, I was surprised at the amount of empty member seats around me (aisle 39). I have had the same seat all the time we have been at Doglands and so have many around me, so it was really noticeable. Not a good time for older people and also those with kids, how would you get them home and settled ready for school the next day? Can't really understand what possible benefits can come from twilight Sunday games :confused:

My seat was one of those empty member seats, Im either aisle 37 or 39. Reason I didnt go was not cause im an older person or have kids is I just cant stand the twilight games and decided to vote by not going.

Ozza
06-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I think the lower crowd number that you'd expect says it all. I don't mind when we play, personally - because other than saturday arvo's (when I play) - I can always get there.

But the fact that it is no good for families - and as a result crowd numbers suffer (and therefore the home club) then I am against the twilight games. I must say I like the idea of the occasional Thursday night game to watch on TV - and maybe once a year us play in it.