PDA

View Full Version : Player Sponsor Night

bornadog
30-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Last night had the pleasure of attending the player sponsor night as a guest of GVGjr, which was well attended by all sponsors and their guests. Almost all players were in attendance except for Brad Johnson, Brian Lake. Rodney Eade as well as David Smorgon were also there and David kicked off the night with his usual summary of the season so far.

Here is a summary of some things mentioned last night (GVGjr can add as I have a shocking memory)

David Smorgon -

* Spoke about the first five games briefly, and said 3/2 is a not bad start given the travel, heat etc but said he would leave the on field report to Rocket.

* Happy with Sponsorship level, mentioned Mission needs to really push their product as they are trying to establish themselves in Australia and the Bulldogs are doing everything they can to help.

* The club is happy with the attendances to date, and is still pushing to get a better deal at Eithad.

* On Tuesday Andrew Demetriou visited the club and addressed the players. AD is very happy with the progress at Whitten Oval and said who could have believed at the Bulldogs, a $30 million redevelopment would have taken place as well as having nearly 30,000 members.

* AD also said the AFL is committed to 10 teams in Melbourne

* AD said Port is a basket case at the moment and said to Smorgon, if he thought the dogs were in trouble back in 1996 that was nothing compared to Port.

* TV rights will be huge and AD already has some big figures he could lock in if necessary, so don't listen to negative reports in the media.

After Smorgons speach, various panels of players were interviewed on stage by Kevin Hillier. The first lot included Rocket.

Rocket didn't say too much that we don't already know. Really believes mistakes and turnovers contributed to our loss against Carlton. On Brian Lake, he didn't give him a rocket, just said kick the bloody thing. Rocket also thought Grant Thomas was very unfair with his comments on Josh Fraser. Rocket also acknowledged Grant is a bulldog basher and doesn't rate the man with his comments at all.

Following this there were a couple of more panels including a young guns panel of Ayce Cordy, Picken and Roughhead. Usual questions were asked such as how do you find the pace, what do you do about meals etc.

The funniest thing was said by Roughhead when asked what do you like and dislike about AFL. He quickly said the girls. Dislikes, not getting the girls.

We sat with Callan Ward, and had a general chat (GVGjr might remember more)
Did you know he is currently the youngest player in our current 22.

If I remember more will add.

BulldogBelle
30-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us BAD, very well written up. :)

GVGjr
30-04-2009, 02:17 PM
David Smorgon kicked off the night with a detailed report of how the club is working with the AFL and how Andrew Demitriou recently gave a presentation to the club in the MELC. Smorgon was full of praise for Andy D who is very impressed with what the club has achieved with the MELC, memberships and the financial position. Smorgon confirmed that Andy D is very much committed to all the Melbourne teams staying in Melbourne which drew applause from the crowd.

Smorgon also touched on the following points:

Port Adelaide's current financial plight is far worse that what the Dogs ever experienced and they will need a lot of assistance.
6,000 members hadn't signed from last year.
The Hawks and a couple of other clubs include reduced or special membership packages in their numbers but we do not.
We are last on the membership table.
The club was not content with finishing 3rd last year.
The sponsorship with Mission.

Not present at the night were Brad Johnsons and Brian (Brain) Lake. (The menu referred to him as Brain Lake)
Rocket sat on Brad Johnson table.

Hillier hosted the night and has been with the players sponsors group for 15 straight years out of the 40 that the group has been formed for.

First up on the interview table was Murphy, Cross and Eade
Murphy was particularly funny with his dry sense of humour. He gave some insights into how difficult it was to train away from the main group.
Cross was quiet but talked a fair bit about the recovery sessions after game.
Eade talked about the umpiring issues and didn't think there was too much wrong. Thinks we have to just get on with things. Seemed very positive about some of the initiatives Andrew McKay had contacted him about.
Eade also shared some views about Grant Thomas which I might touch on later.

Next up to be interviewed was Higgins, Griffen and Addison (who subbed for Lake). All three boys took their chance to rip into Lindsay Gilbee who phoned or texted Griffen as soon as he sat down. That had the crowd laughing throughout the interview. They also had a few good natured shots at each other.
Higgins talked about his pre-season and how it allowed him to start the season fresh and far fitter than previous seasons. I got the impression that he now knows the advantages for hard work.
Griffen was happy with his form in the first few weeks but not the last couple.
Addison talked about decision making being the area that he needed to improve on and how over the pre-season he wasn't focused on gaining weight which had been the norm for other seasons.

There was various presentations to the sponsors group.

The final table was 3 youngsters, Cordy, Roughead and Picken and Hillier was particularly good at getting answers out of them. Roughead simply mentioned "Girls" as one of the benefits of being a professional footballer and KH mentioned that in 15 years of hosting these nights that was the first honest answer he had received.
Cordy talked about wanting to play in the seniors but understands that he is a fair way behind.
Roughead talked about some of the injuries he has been battling and Picken gave a nice overview of his struggle to get listed and his relationship with his father.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the news fellas. Sounds like a good night.

chef
30-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Higgins wasn't asked about the GC interest?

GVGjr
30-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Higgins wasn't asked about the GC interest?

That subject was avoided. Hillier asks the questions.

Scraggers
30-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks GVG and BAD for the information ... sounded like a good night

The Coon Dog
30-04-2009, 03:21 PM
6,000 members haven't signed from last year.

Whilst it's a concern, I hope Smorgo doesn't get on his high horse this season & 'slag them off' in the media.

In my view it serves no purpose other than alienate those people even further. If they're not going to re-sign, they're not going to re-sign.

I wonder if clubs (or the AFL) employ consultants who follow up with non renewing members to ascertain the reasons why & implement strategies to minimise it in future?

bornadog
30-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Whilst it's a concern, I hope Smorgo doesn't get on his high horse this season & 'slag them off' in the media.

In my view it serves no purpose other than alienate those people even further. If they're not going to re-sign, they're not going to re-sign.

I wonder if clubs (or the AFL) employ consultants who follow up with non renewing members to ascertain the reasons why & implement strategies to minimise it in future?

Smorgon mentioned that every year during May, we have surge in membership and they haven't worked out why.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Smorgon mentioned that every year during May, we have surge in membership and they haven't worked out why.

Well this year it might point to K Rudds stiumlation :)

Good write up btw, sounded like a fun night.

GVGjr
30-04-2009, 07:12 PM

He wasn't worked up about it at all but seemed genuinely disappointed that with the strong finish last year, the ELC and the Mission sponsorship that so many have been slow out of the blocks.

Happy Days
30-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Last night had the pleasure of attending the player sponsor night as a guest of GVGjr, which was well attended by all sponsors and their guests. Almost all players were in attendance except for Brad Johnson, Brian Lake. Rodney Eade as well as David Smorgon were also there and David kicked off the night with his usual summary of the season so far.

Here is a summary of some things mentioned last night (GVGjr can add as I have a shocking memory)

David Smorgon -

* Spoke about the first five games briefly, and said 3/2 is a not bad start given the travel, heat etc but said he would leave the on field report to Rocket.

* Happy with Sponsorship level, mentioned Mission needs to really push their product as they are trying to establish themselves in Australia and the Bulldogs are doing everything they can to help.

* The club is happy with the attendances to date, and is still pushing to get a better deal at Eithad.

* On Tuesday Andrew Demetriou visited the club and addressed the players. AD is very happy with the progress at Whitten Oval and said who could have believed at the Bulldogs, a $30 million redevelopment would have taken place as well as having nearly 30,000 members.

* AD also said the AFL is committed to 10 teams in Melbourne

* AD said Port is a basket case at the moment and said to Smorgon, if he thought the dogs were in trouble back in 1996 that was nothing compared to Port.

* TV rights will be huge and AD already has some big figures he could lock in if necessary, so don't listen to negative reports in the media.

After Smorgons speach, various panels of players were interviewed on stage by Kevin Hillier. The first lot included Rocket.

Rocket didn't say too much that we don't already know. Really believes mistakes and turnovers contributed to our loss against Carlton. On Brian Lake, he didn't give him a rocket, just said kick the bloody thing. Rocket also thought Grant Thomas was very unfair with his comments on Josh Fraser. Rocket also acknowledged Grant is a bulldog basher and doesn't rate the man with his comments at all.

Following this there were a couple of more panels including a young guns panel of Ayce Cordy, Picken and Roughhead. Usual questions were asked such as how do you find the pace, what do you do about meals etc.

The funniest thing was said by Roughhead when asked what do you like and dislike about AFL. He quickly said the girls. Dislikes, not getting the girls.

We sat with Callan Ward, and had a general chat (GVGjr might remember more)
Did you know he is currently the youngest player in our current 22.

If I remember more will add.

David Smorgon kicked off the night with a detailed report of how the club is working with the AFL and how Andrew Demitriou recently gave a presentation to the club in the MELC. Smorgon was full of praise for Andy D who is very impressed with what the club has achieved with the MELC, memberships and the financial position. Smorgon confirmed that Andy D is very much committed to all the Melbourne teams staying in Melbourne which drew applause from the crowd.

Smorgon also touched on the following points:

Port Adelaide's current financial plight is far worse that what the Dogs ever experienced and they will need a lot of assistance.
6,000 members hadn't signed from last year.
The Hawks and a couple of other clubs include reduced or special membership packages in their numbers but we do not.
We are last on the membership table.
The club was not content with finishing 3rd last year.
The sponsorship with Mission.

Not present at the night were Brad Johnson and Brian (Brain) Lake. (The menu referred to him as Brain Lake)
Rocket sat on Brad Johnson table.

Hillier hosted the night and has been with the players sponsors group for 15 straight years out of the 40 that the group has been formed for.

First up on the interview table was Murphy, Cross and Eade
Murphy was particularly funny with his dry sense of humour. He gave some insights into how difficult it was to train away from the main group.
Cross was quiet but talked a fair bit about the recovery sessions after games.
Eade talked about the umpiring issues and didn't think there was too much wrong. Thinks we have to just get on with things. Seemed very positive about some of the initiatives Andrew McKay had contacted him about.
Eade also shared some views about Grant Thomas which I might touch on later.

Next up to be interviews was Higgins, Griffen and Addison (who subbed for Lake). All three boys used took their chance to rip into Lindsay Gilbee who phoned or texted Griffen as soon as he sat down. That had the crowd laughing throughout the interview. They also had a few good natured shots at each other.
Higgins talked about his pre-season and how it allowed him to start the season fresh and far fitter than previous seasons. I got the impression that he now knows the advantages for hard work.
Griffen was happy with his form in the first few weeks but not the last couple.
Addison talked about decision making being the area that he needed to improve on and how over the pre-season he wasn't focused on gaining weight which had been the norm for other seasons.

There was various presentations to the sponsors group.

The final table was 3 youngsters, Cordy, Roughead and Picken and Hillier was particularly good at getting answers out of them. Roughead simply mentioned "Girls" as one of the benefits of being a professional footballer and KH mentioned that in 15 years of hosting these nights that was the first honest answer he had received.
Cordy talked about wanting to play in the seniors but understands that he is a fair way behind.
Roughead talked about some of the injuries he has been battling and Picken gave a nice overview of his struggle to get listed and his relationship with his father.

Thanks for the write-ups guys.

Any mention on how close Roughead is to returning?

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 08:02 PM

They should follow up. If they did, this year they would find the economic situation to be the main reason. They might also find that the Bulldogs membership is not considered particularly good value while we are selling home games. Further I expect membership numbers, given our socio-economic profile and sustained lack of success, are boosted when there is a sense of 'club in crisis' - and we are now perceived as 'safe'. Finally, I wonder how many Bulldogs people are moving over to AFL memberships. I have no idea.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys, good work

bornadog
30-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the write-ups guys.

Any mention on how close Roughead is to returning?

I can't remember exactly but sounded not too far off. This is the third time he has had shoulder problems, thinks its due to playing with men rather than with boys. Needs to gain some strength. Looking at him last night, he is a good size and very solid for a young guy.

Mantis
30-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I can't remember exactly but sounded not too far off. This is the third time he has had shoulder problems, thinks its due to playing with men rather than with boys. Needs to gain some strength. Looking at him last night, he is a good size and very solid for a young guy.

He has been named on the bench for the Willi reserves for Saturdays game.

bornadog
30-04-2009, 10:03 PM
He has been named on the bench for the Willi reserves for Saturdays game.

Closer than I thought:eek:

aker39
01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
They might also find that the Bulldogs membership is not considered particularly good value while we are selling home games.

How is that. An 11 game membership gets you in to 11 games in Melbourne.
9 home games & 2 replacement games.

Hawthorn play more home games interstate than us and they have 50,000 members.

bornadog
01-05-2009, 02:19 PM
How is that. An 11 game membership gets you in to 11 games in Melbourne.
9 home games & 2 replacement games.

Hawthorn play more home games interstate than us and they have 50,000 members.

I don't believe the 50,000 are full 11 game members.

aker39
01-05-2009, 02:21 PM

I understand that, but I'm sure more than 27,000 are.

My point is that people have plenty of legitimate reasons for not being a member, this is not one of those.

The Coon Dog
01-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Some are 1 & 4 game Tassie memberships.

bornadog
01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Some are 1 & 4 game Tassie memberships.

It would be interesting to find out the break down

Jasper
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM

What a difference a full preseason makes. We all knew he had plenty of ability but has jumped up at least one level in performance so far this season.

comrade
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
What a difference a full preseason makes. We all knew he had plenty of ability but has jumped up at least one level in performance so far this season.

We saw it with Cooney last year - his first full pre season at the club and he ends up with the Chaz. Not many players can have an interrupted preseason and really dominate - see Cooney this year.

LostDoggy
02-05-2009, 11:33 PM
The club has been following this up over the past week. Hopefully they'll give us some feedback via the mag. Don't have the stats but it seems we get something like 15% of memberships after the start of the season so there's still time to get to 30,000.
I know a couple of last years members who didn't renew for reasons different to any discussed here. We need to grow the membership every year just to cover attrition.

Thanks for the info on the night - sounds like a good one! I recall last year, one club (can't remember who) devoted some players and coaching staff to call the lapsed members? Perhaps this is an idea - I know if I hadn't re-signed, I would be pretty stoked to get a call from a player to see why :) (Maybe I shouldn't have become a Bulldog for Life if this happens in the future :D))

LostDoggy
03-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the info on the night - sounds like a good one! I recall last year, one club (can't remember who) devoted some players and coaching staff to call the lapsed members? Perhaps this is an idea - I know if I hadn't re-signed, I would be pretty stoked to get a call from a player to see why :) (Maybe I shouldn't have become a Bulldog for Life if this happens in the future :D))

Last year our club, did get some of the players to ring lapsed members to urge them to re-sign. One of my sons is not really into footy, probably goes to one game a year, and never watches it on TV. So his membership had lapsed, Josh Hill rang last year to talk to him. Needless to say we re-signed him:D

BulldogBelle
03-05-2009, 12:31 AM
So his membership had lapsed, Josh Hill rang last year to talk to him. Needless to say we re-signed him:D

Same thing happened to a friend of mine - he got the call from Lindsay Gilbee - he signed up the next day. :)