WESTERN BULLDOGS v ST KILDA

Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Tom Williams
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Dale Morris, Ryan Hargrave
C: Josh Hill, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Robert Murphy, Mitch Hahn, Shaun Higgins
F: Jason Akermanis Will Minson, Brad Johnson
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney
I/C (from): Dylan Addison, Tim Callan, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken, Stephen Tiller

In: Akermanis, Cooney, Callan Everitt, Tiller
Out: Jarrad Grant, Callan Ward

St Kilda
B: Farren Ray, Jason Blake, Zac Dawson
HB: Jarryn Geary, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Jason Gram, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
F: Lenny Hayes, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Gilbert
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Clint Jones, Leigh Montagna
I/C (from): Steven Baker, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt, Robert Eddy, David Armitage, Ben McEvoy, Luke Miles

In: Koschitzke, Armitage, McEvoy, Miles
Out: Steven King (hamstring)

AFL Website (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/75973/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Rocket wouldn't even give Grant a second go? :(

Hope Tom Williams stays in and Tim Callan comes in.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Okeefe stiff not to be in the squad.

The Coon Dog
30-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I reckon they'll name Tim Callan tomorrow night, knowing he's no chance to play, given he's injured. They'll see the Sandringham team sheet on Saturday to work out the St.Kilda make up & see who replaces Callan after that.

Mantis
30-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Hope Tom Williams stays in and Tim Callan comes in.

There would have to be doubts on the fitness of both players due to the injuries they sustained in last weeks games.

Mantis
30-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Interesting to see Kosi named and Gilbert named in a FP, from memory he played up forward in the practice match in the pre-season and proved quite a handful.

G-Mo77
30-04-2009, 06:20 PM
My guess on the IC

Dylan Addison, Nathan Eagleton, Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken

I'm doubtful on Williams this week, if he's out I think Tiller will slot straight in.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 06:34 PM
What a joke!!! :mad:

comrade
30-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Pretty disappointed to see Grant get dropped - he didn't have a great impact but definitely had a crack. Hopefully he's had a taste and it'll make him hungry for more.

Ward needed a spell and I'm hopeful Everitt gets a run for Tommy.

Willy will be fun to watch this week with Ward and Grant to dominate :D

Remi Moses
30-04-2009, 06:38 PM
O'keefe should be in.:confused::confused:

The Coon Dog
30-04-2009, 06:40 PM
What a joke!!! :mad:

What is it you want to say? We don't have ESP!

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 06:47 PM
What is it you want to say? We don't have ESP!

It's the same players every week, nothing changes.

Players aren't obviously doing there job, Minson for one.

I just feel if you don't mix things up year in & year out, teams get used to you & your tactics. Our forward structure has hardly ever changed over the last couple of seasons, and teams are probably loving the match ups.

The Coon Dog
30-04-2009, 06:55 PM

I just feel if you don't mix things up year in & year out, teams get used to you & your tactics. Our forward structure has hardly ever changed over the last couple of seasons, and teams are probably loving the match ups.

Thanks for elaborating.

azabob
30-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Tend to agree with you RE the forward line, not many of them have been in consistant form over the 5 weeks.
Johnson, Hahn, Minson (when up forward) have all struggled to make an impact.

Eade indicated that younger players would play more footy this year, I guess its a fine balance especially if the younger players such as Everitt, O'Keffee, Reid, Grant are not performing to the level expected in the VFL.

Mantis
30-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Eade indicated that younger players would play more footy this year, I guess its a fine balance especially if the younger players such as Everitt, O'Keefe, Reid, Grant are not performing to the level expected in the VFL.

The guys you have listed have all upheld their end of the bargain thus far with their performances for Williamstown. I guess all we can say is that the season is still less than a 1/4 of the way through so I think all the young guys have to remain patient and keep performing and their opportunities will come.

Happy Days
30-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Tend to agree with you RE the forward line, not many of them have been in consistant form over the 5 weeks.
Johnson, Hahn, Minson (when up forward) have all struggled to make an impact.

Eade indicated that younger players would play more footy this year, I guess its a fine balance especially if the younger players such as Everitt, O'Keffee, Reid, Grant are not performing to the level expected in the VFL.

Surely that's not the case.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 07:27 PM

This forward line, will not win us a GF.

In my opinion.

comrade
30-04-2009, 07:43 PM
This forward line, will not win us a GF.

In my opinion.

Name the forward line that will...

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Name the forward line that will...

That is still up for debate.

But i know for sure that a forward line involving Minson, won't take us to the holey grail.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-04-2009, 07:55 PM
I think some of the senior players are evry lucky we're playing St. Kilda this week and not somebody else. It would seem a lot of them are skating on thin ice but are going to be kept on the side based on what they can do, but haven't done.

Hahn to be still in the lineup is disappointing, but it wouldn't surprise me if he turned in a blinder this week. Gia would probably never be dropped but he's been terrible. Minson is a little lucky he's been doing OK at the center bounces too.

If a lot of these players don't turn around their form this week, then I think we'll reward other/younger players but I can somewhat understand Eade's thinking behind this one. Against a in-form, big bodied Saints - we probably need to keep our bigger and more experienced bodies involved.

It'll be interesting, you get the feeling if we lose a few may be dropped.

1eyedog
30-04-2009, 07:58 PM

But i know for sure that a forward line involving Minson, won't take us to the holey grail.

I disagree. Minson is a puppet decoy up there but a forward line consisting of;

FF Akermanis Welsh Johnson

HF Hill/Gia Murphy Higgins

with Hahn and a resting Minson and even Everitt and Williams as pinch hitters is a pretty useful forward line if you ask me. Provided they click. Flag material? Let's just get there first and find out.

mighty_west
30-04-2009, 07:58 PM

He won't, Minson isn't a forward, he's a resting ruckman posing as our tall forward being put in the hot seat, as we don't have alot of tall options right now, he gets harshly judged in my opinion, and is a good back up to Huddo in the ruck.

So if Minson gets dropped, who plays in the ruck? and please don't say Skipper or Wight, neither are ruckmen.

Scorlibo
30-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Yea what's the point in depth if you're not going to use it? Hahn and Minno are both lucky.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 08:05 PM
You can't win a GF playing a resting ruck men as your release valve, simply not possible.

Minson is back up for Hudson, what does he do besides tap in the ruck? not much else in my opinion.

Very rarely holds a mark, tries to kick when he doesn't have the capabilities & isn't mobile enough to do ground work like Hudson does, plus he is out of every contest once the ball hits the ground.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2009, 08:14 PM
You can't win a GF playing a resting ruck men as your release valve, simply not possible.

Minson is back up for Hudson, what does he do besides tap in the ruck? not much else in my opinion.

Very rarely holds a mark, tries to kick when he doesn't have the capabilities & isn't mobile enough to do ground work like Hudson does, plus he is out of every contest once the ball hits the ground.

I really dislike the "simply not possible" view on winning a premiership without a key position forward. It's much more difficult, like winning a race while having to take a detour but it's possible.

If Geelong didn't have Cam Mooney, Tom Lonnergan (who is saved by one incident and the fact that he plays for the best side in the league) and Tom Hawkins would it be possible for them to win a flag? It's much easier to win a flag with a KP forward but not impossible.

mighty_west
30-04-2009, 08:15 PM

So whats the solution to playing a back up ruck & tall forwards? Huddo can't do it on his own, he was clearly out of puff by finals time last season and had Minson as a back up.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2009, 08:17 PM
So whats the solution to playing a back up ruck & tall forwards? Huddo can't do it on his own, he was clearly out of puff by finals time last season and had Minson as a back up.

I really want us to give Skipper a go. Eagles at Subi off a 6 day break was the perfect opportunity.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm not sure what the solution is, just simply putting my opinion across.

Every week i am learning towards Minson not being there when we finally make a GF.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Pretty disappointed to see Grant get dropped - he didn't have a great impact but definitely had a crack. Hopefully he's had a taste and it'll make him hungry for more.

Same here.

mighty_west
30-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure what the solution is, just simply putting my opinion across.

Every week i am learning towards Minson not being there when we finally make a GF.

If thats the case, we probably won't be ready then for AT LEAST another 3-5 years when the likes of Roughead, Cordy, Jones & Grant are really ready, thats IF they even make the grade, unfortunatly i couldn't see us pushing for a Premiership with Hudson as our only ruckman.

lemmon
30-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Still no Welsh, surely its no longer a fitness thing.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Thank god that some of you are not the coach other wise we would have an under 21 side out there with proven preformers playing for Willy.

3/4 of the team has had a bad 2 weeks you dont just make wholesale changes for the sake of it.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 09:37 PM
But it's fun!:p

bornadog
30-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Johnno has the flu but apparently will play. Williams is doubtful, but has improved as the week has gone on.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Thank god that some of you are not the coach other wise we would have an under 21 side out there with proven preformers playing for Willy.

3/4 of the team has had a bad 2 weeks you dont just make wholesale changes for the sake of it.

Wholesale changes?

I mentioned one person, Minson.

comrade
30-04-2009, 10:06 PM
If Minson has a few more below par games it'll be interesting to see whether Rocket has put a line through Skipper and continues to persist with big Will, or if he'll give Skip his chance.

If the scenario calls for it I hope Skip does get a crack because his work rate has been phenomenal so far.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 10:08 PM
When you look at our side, there really is no reason why we cant win!
Solid midfield, sneaky forward line, the only thing that needs improving and still needs improving is the back line.
Lake, Morris and Hargrave are strong defenders, why is Harbrow named Back Pocket? :S

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I meant to say, and always has needed improvement :P

Happy Days
30-04-2009, 10:14 PM

I don't think anyone is arguing that we swing the axe and "play the kids"; that would be downright stupid coming off a prelim. final.

The argument is more based on, for the majority, dropping those who have not been playing good football consistently for the whole season. And, I think you'll find that, with the exception of Hahn, Minson and Eagelton (and, in some bewildering cases, Gia and Cross), the players being thrown up are our younger ones (Ward, Harbrow, Grant, etc.).

Happy Days
30-04-2009, 10:15 PM
If Minson has a few more below par games it'll be interesting to see whether Rocket has put a line through Skipper and continues to persist with big Will, or if he'll give Skip his chance.

If the scenario calls for it I hope Skip does get a crack because his work rate has been phenomenal so far.

Don't think the club would give Skip a one-year contract just so Rocket can put a line through him.

comrade
30-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Don't think the club would give Skip a one-year contract just so Rocket can put a line through him.

Some would argue he was signed purely as injury insurance...

Happy Days
30-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Some would argue he was signed purely as injury insurance...

Thought of that the second I hit "submit reply" :p

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2009, 10:57 PM

Every year some hack like Shane Ellen wins a premiership medal. You don't need 22 superstars just everyone playing their role.

Dry Rot
30-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Every year some hack like Shane Ellen wins a premiership medal. You don't need 22 superstars just everyone playing their role.

How do you assess Minson in his role? He's not really effective in his role up forward, and arguably that is quite an important role.

LostDoggy
30-04-2009, 11:38 PM
How do you assess Minson in his role? He's not really effective in his role up forward, and arguably that is quite an important role.

That's the point i am trying to put across.

boydogs
30-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Minson has been going well in the ruck, and I think that is why he has not been dropped. He has a lot of the qualities of a good power forward - he is tall and strong, he is not afraid to use his strength and crash packs, he is a good kick for goal full stop but especially for a big man. Just doesn't take enough marks.

I think Skipper is the form player at the moment and would have him in the side, but getting Minson going will be necessary to go all the way, I do see an in form Minson as part of our finals forward line

Scraggers
01-05-2009, 02:06 AM

Check last weeks stats ... Will Minson had 9 hard ball gets, the most of anyone on the field

Sounds like he's doing his job quite well

Mantis
01-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Check last weeks stats ... Will Minson had 9 hard ball gets, the most of anyone on the field

Sounds like he's doing his job quite well

I think the area that everyone feels he is letting us down is up forward. So far he has kicked just 2.1 from the first 5 games.

What would be interesting to know is the percentage of his game time he is spending up forward and how many times we have kicked the ball to him (isn't there a stat of go to guy inside F50??). I think both would be reasonably low.

Personally I think his work in the ruck has been pretty good thus far.

Desipura
01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Yea what's the point in depth if you're not going to use it? Hahn and Minno are both lucky.
As soon as I knew King was out injured, they were never going to drop Minson.
The only other change will be Tiller for Williams if he does not come up.

The Pie Man
01-05-2009, 09:12 AM

Someone rang up SEN's The Run Home earlier this week asking about Skipper, Schwarz was adamant 'he'll get his chance this year'

Said the query on him was his injuries (for now, check) and his decision making with the pill (haven't seen Williamstown play this year so NFI)

comrade
01-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Someone rang up SEN's The Run Home earlier this week asking about Skipper, Schwarz was adamant 'he'll get his chance this year'

I wouldn't take much of what Schwarz says about our list as gospel - talking about Sam Reid a few weeks ago he was at a loss to describe him as a player. He then scrounged up some stats on him and stated that he was a speedy, goal kicking flanker.

strebla
01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I was just wondering if the Minson bashers actually watch or understand the game.Okay Minson has kicked 2.1 take a few marks each week in the forward 50 what the stats dont tell you is he goes up aginst 2 or 3 every time he is deep bringing the ball to the ground.So now the ball is on the ground not the big fellas forte but making holes the size of the Grand Canyon blocking and crashing and never giving it up easily THAT is what he does when he is forward TRYING to bring our small forward line into the game and that is why he WILL not be dropped !!!!

Rocket Science
01-05-2009, 12:50 PM
'TRY' being the operative word...Minson gives you a fairly consistent effort, but is it enough?

Nobody's suggesting the big bloke doesn't try, it's just that he's been largely ineffective at what he's there to do (ruck relief aside), and simply isn't able to do a whole lot else.

He's averaging 3 marks a game this season (pretty meagre by key forward standards) but the frustration is at least that number again smack straight off his stone hands and hit the deck, where Will's promptly out of the contest. This is a problem because our little blokes' crumbing hasn't exactly been world class thus far, and virtually none of our forwards are adept at chasing tail when they have to, so we get the trampoline effect, which is doubly damaging because of the lack of pressure our mids are applying through the guts lately, and it's around this time you really begin to sympathise with our backline.

Our crumbers either need to play off Will more deliberately, particularly if their opponents are double/triple-teaming Will in the air...or more of those attempted grabs need to stick.

The caveat for Will is, anyone playing in our forward 50 over the past two weeks would be doing it tough because the service has been ordinary and can surely only improve. That said, it'll be fun attempting that versus the Saints who aren't giving teams a lot of time or space.

hujsh
01-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Why does everyone appear to judge Minson purely as a key forward?

As Mantis stated he wouldn't spend too much time forward and we certainly don't kick it to him too often.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Why does everyone appear to judge Minson purely as a key forward?

As Mantis stated he wouldn't spend too much time forward and we certainly don't kick it to him too often.

I can't find Time On Ground % stats but normally Hudson TOG is about 65% and Minson 70-75% IIRC. Minson is probably on primarily as a ruckman for 35% of the game and about 35-40% as forward.

LostDoggy
01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I would like to see Everitt come in and Callan if he is fit.

Minson needs cleaner hands - the ball just doesn't stick - someone please give the man a set of gloves..

Question: is there room to play Hudson, Minson and Skipper?

Mantis
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS v ST KILDA

Western Bulldogs

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Tom Williams
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Dale Morris, Ryan Hargrave
C: Josh Hill, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney
I/C: Dylan Addison, Nathan Eagleton, Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken
Emg: Andrejs Everitt, Tim Callan, Stephen Tiller

In: Akermanis, Cooney
Out: Jarrad Grant, Callan Ward

St Kilda

B: Farren Ray, Jason Blake, Zac Dawson
HB: Jarryn Geary, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Jason Gram, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
F: Lenny Hayes, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Gilbert
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Clint Jones, Leigh Montagna
I/C: Steven Baker, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt, Robert Eddy
Emg: David Armitage, Ben McEvoy, Luke Miles

In: Koschitzke
Out: Steven King (hamstring)

Scraggers
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I know they've named Koschitzke for King, but I really don't see him playing ...

But then I think the same about Tom Williams ...

Ducks and drakes maybe ? ? ?

Happy Days
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I know they've named Koschitzke for King, but I really don't see him playing ...

But then I think the same about Tom Williams ...

Ducks and drakes maybe ? ? ?

McEvoy for King,

Everitt or Tiller for Williams.

Sedat
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out that Everitt will come in for Williams and McEvoy will do likewise for Kosi - hell, even Larry Holmes could have worked that out*

* Special thanks to Chevy Chase for the kind permission to use his joke from 'Fletch'

Rocket Science
01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Why does everyone appear to judge Minson purely as a key forward[/B]

It's a fair enough point, but I don't know that anyone's viewing him as a full-time forward, and most criticisms around here are underwritten with a nod to his ruck duties, which are generally pretty adequate.

Fact is half his job for over a year now has been to function as a key forward and to put it plainly, it ain't working. Short of Will making visible improvements with this side of his game, there's not a lot else we can do with him when he's not rucking except plonk him on the pine, and we've got little choice but to persist since we're not currently blessed with a lot of other tall options, short of stunts like robbing the backline.

Nobody expected Coleman-like numbers out of Minson up forward, but I think we'd all like him to be, and frankly we need him to be, a little more effective/productive.

FWIW, Rocco was pretty good with his time on ground estimates: Versus Carlton Hudson got 66% game time, while Will got 70%.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out that Everitt will come in for Williams and McEvoy will do likewise for Kosi - hell, even Larry Holmes could have worked that out*

* Special thanks to Chevy Chase for the kind permission to use his joke from 'Fletch'

Considering Willi v Sandy is on Saturday I don't think too many people are going to be fooled.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2009, 07:46 PM
I can't find Time On Ground % stats but normally Hudson TOG is about 65% and Minson 70-75% IIRC. Minson is probably on primarily as a ruckman for 35% of the game and about 35-40% as forward.

Kicked 22 goals last year playing as a forward 1/3 of the time.

If he played FF all year and kicked 60 would we be happy?

Rocket Science
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd be ecstatic if any of our forwards slotted 60.

Must confess Will exceeded my expectations last year. Will be interested to see if he can improve upon that this year.

boydogs
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM

A goal a game last year, this year 2 goals from 5 games. If he was holding marks in the forward line I am sure we would find more than 1/3 game time for him there, perhaps 50% deep forward/forward line ruck 30% ruck 20% bench. There is not much competition up forward for us like Brown/Bradshaw and Roughead/Franklin have so we would give him plenty of opportunity if he started to deliver, 1.5-2 goals a game would be a nice return

Mantis
01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Considering Willi v Sandy is on Saturday I don't think too many people are going to be fooled.

It may happen if more than one emergency doesn't play?

Remi Moses
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll make the statement right now that Tom Williams will be the first Australian to get the friggin Swine flu. :(:(

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
It may happen if more than one emergency doesn't play?

That might be why they named Callan despite him copping a knock last week. He'll pull out of the Willi side on Saturday, Lyon assumes he's playing seniors and then we remain unchanged.

Very sneaky.

AndrewP6
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Fact is half his job for over a year now has been to function as a key forward and to put it plainly, it ain't working. %.

I've heard Eade say they just wanted him in there to create a contest...I reckon he does that...

Rocket Science
01-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I've heard Eade say they just wanted him in there to create a contest...I reckon he does that...

Eade's also recently said that he'd like someone, anyone, to take a mark up forward.

In the event Will's there to create contests I'm not sure it's done with enough purpose or intelligence so as to advantage us more regularly.

That's partly out of his hands because I don't think our forward mids/smalls play off him enough, they're all generally busy making leads of their own, and as has been stated elsewhere we probably don't go specifically to Will regularly enough for it to merit more attention.

I don't wish to keep knifing Will...he tries hard, and our options are limited at the moment, but it too often looks like the makeshift measure it is, particularly when the whole side's down, and is one of our most obvious achilles heels.

boydogs
01-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Eade's also recently said that he'd like someone, anyone, to take a mark up forward.

In the event Will's there to create contests I'm not sure it's done with enough purpose or intelligence so as to advantage us more regularly.

That's partly out of his hands because I don't think our forward mids/smalls play off him enough, they're all generally busy making leads of their own, and as has been stated elsewhere we probably don't go specifically to Will regularly enough for it to merit more attention.

I don't wish to keep knifing Will...he tries hard, and our options are limited at the moment, but it too often looks like the makeshift measure it is, particularly when the whole side's down, and is one of our most obvious achilles heels.

One of Harbrow, Hill and Aker should be at Will's feet. This should also apply to when we kick to Johnson, Welsh or Hahn when they are playing deep forward. It will give our mids more confidence to go to Will, as even if he doesn't mark, we will not turn the ball over easily at ground level. Kicking to Johnson they have confidence he will remain in the contest after a spoil. Forward line crumbing and defensive pressure has been as much of an issue as marking itself, getting this right is vital and something we can do with our existing personnel.

To me having your backup ruckman do something useful other than play ruck is not makeshift, even if a Brown or Pavlich came to the club next year I would not expect that Will would spend 40% of his game in the ruck and the rest on the bench. He did take a great mark last week, the one where he proceeded to kick for goal from outside 50 - he can do it just needs to improve his consistency in holding on to his marks

Rocket Science
02-05-2009, 12:03 AM
I've got no problem with making use of your ruckman while he's not actually rucking...it's 'makeshift' because there's an obvious limit to Will's abilities as a forward, he's there ostensibly because we have no other tall options, and (short of Will improving as a forward) I assume it's not a measure we're going to persist with long term as the likes of Grant, Cordy and Roughead begin to vye for selection.

LostDoggy
02-05-2009, 01:20 AM
^^^

Love your avatar RS.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2009, 01:26 AM
I think Minson has taken a few very strong grabs this year, probably in far more contested situations than last year. He seems to take one or two impressive grabs a game, but ends up missing a couple you'd think most players would gobble up.

He needs to find a level of consistency, particularly if he's going to play up forward. He's taking 1-3 decent grabs per game but is probably missing 3-4 others.

His ruck work has been good this season but he hasn't had much of an impact around the ground. I'd like to see him use his big body in traffic more, paving paths for Cooney/Griff/Higgo etc. to run through. After a ruck contest, he seems to observe rather than follow it ala Hudson.

LostDoggy
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I hope Minno has a blinder soon, at least he rarely gets out marked like a lot of our 'real' forwards. I have seen Hill brushed aside like a snowflake on several occasions. Minson will always require a big opponent too and that should make it easier for our other guys.

Stevo
02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Predictable ins and outs but there will be at least one more change.

boydogs
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I've got no problem with making use of your ruckman while he's not actually rucking...it's 'makeshift' because there's an obvious limit to Will's abilities as a forward, he's there ostensibly because we have no other tall options, and (short of Will improving as a forward) I assume it's not a measure we're going to persist with long term as the likes of Grant, Cordy and Roughead begin to vye for selection.

I think playing forward is Will's best opportunity to contribute when not in the ruck, and so unless he will be out of the side when the youngsters come through this is where he needs to work on his game. Remember that ruckmen take a while to develop and Hudson is a bit older, IMHO we could play Grant and Cordy forward and Roughead and Will as ruckmen.

Seeing Will at his best physically dominating his opponent and taking strong grabs shows he has the potential to play his role well, it is only consistency in marking holding him back

Rocco Jones
02-05-2009, 01:20 PM

He wouldn't have kicked all of his 22 goals while playing primarily as a forward.

If we played him forward full time, I think Minson would be a 40 goals a year type.

Rocket Science
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I somehow think 40's a bit optimistic, even as a full-time forward...then again, I didn't think he'd contribute 22 last season. Again, provided we persist (highly likely) will be interesting to see if he can maintain or improve those numbers this season.

Re: Will's marking, there's an occasional technique issue I've noticed where he tends to throw a hard swat at the ball in mid flight, particularly when he's on any sort of lead...when he times the swat beautifully the ball sticks hard and the resultant mark looks as authoritative as any you'd see. When he doesn't, the ball comes off his hands like it's been kicked point blank into a brick wall.

boydogs
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Re: Will's marking, there's an occasional technique issue I've noticed where he tends to throw a hard swat at the ball in mid flight, particularly when he's on any sort of lead...when he times the swat beautifully the ball sticks hard and the resultant mark looks as authoritative as any you'd see. When he doesn't, the ball comes off his hands like it's been kicked point blank into a brick wall.

Interesting observation - I will keep an eye out for this. I hope our coaching staff are onto it and helping him to improve

Mofra
02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Will in an interview also said that our forward line structure is different to most, and all forwards must have the ability to lead & meet the ball, not just try a test of strength. Will isn't a quick bloke off the mark so our forward set up isn't suited to him anyway. A leading-up type like Murphy is suited perfectly to our style of play & as such generally leads us for marks.

boydogs
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Will in an interview also said that our forward line structure is different to most, and all forwards must have the ability to lead & meet the ball, not just try a test of strength. Will isn't a quick bloke off the mark so our forward set up isn't suited to him anyway. A leading-up type like Murphy is suited perfectly to our style of play & as such generally leads us for marks.

It makes us pretty one-dimensional though, predictable for the opposition and vulnerable when lead-up players are out of form or injured with no effective back up plan. Good sides and coaches can structure up based on personnel, opposition, weather, game day tactics etc. and not rely on the one fixed game plan. This goes for our midfield delivery into the forward line as well as the forwards themselves

Will has to be ready to be a go-to power forward when the situation dictates, rather than us having to send Lake and Williams forward to take a grab

Mofra
02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
It makes us pretty one-dimensional though, predictable for the opposition and vulnerable when lead-up players are out of form or injured with no effective back up plan. Good sides and coaches can structure up based on personnel, opposition, weather, game day tactics etc. and not rely on the one fixed game plan. This goes for our midfield delivery into the forward line as well as the forwards themselves

Will has to be ready to be a go-to power forward when the situation dictates, rather than us having to send Lake and Williams forward to take a grab
I'd argue the opposite - if all 6 forwards are capable of leading to the ball & taking a grab, it means all 6 defenders have to run and be accountable, and makes it less likely a 3rd man up contest can be created. Unfortunately our forwardline hasn't really been able to execute it this year in the way they did last year.