PDA

View Full Version : Lake goes with ebb and flow

The Coon Dog
01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Lake goes with ebb and flow (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/lake-goes-with-ebb-and-flow/2009/04/30/1240982346048.html)

http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2009/04/30/wbAFLlake.jpg

BRIAN Lake is happy to move the conversation on — there is another battle to be won this weekend, and no point living in the past. Yet there might still be some life in the experiment of this back going forward.

A typo at a sponsors' night on Wednesday listed the Bulldogs' full-back as "Brain Lake", but yesterday it was his brain fade he was still being asked to explain, after he capped a strong mark at the top of the goal square against Carlton last Sunday by inexplicably handballing sideways to Daniel Giansiracusa, who was swamped.

"I can blame Gia (for calling for the ball), but I handballed it," Lake said. "I'm down back again now, so I'll just worry about punching the ball away."

Yet it is Lake's strength in the air and preparedness to back himself that makes him an occasional option in a makeshift attack, which coach Rodney Eade again breathed a heavy sigh over yesterday, repeating that the Bulldogs don't have a tall forward and as a consequence are often forced to manufacture goals.

"At times you'd like to have someone be able to take a mark," Eade said. "Brian took a couple on the weekend, it's certainly an option for us, but it's something we'll work week-to-week."

The emergence — fitness permitting — of Tom Williams in defence gives the Dogs the option of rotating some height through attack. And in Lake they have someone who, Sunday's slip-up aside, has been there before.

"Yeah, that's a long time ago," he said of a junior career in South Australia as a forward. "I'm not a kid any more." And perhaps not just a full-back either.

comrade
01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Brian knows.

Rocket Science
01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Bryza aside...this is the line that got me.

"At times you'd like to have someone be able to take a mark," Eade said.

Interesting there still wasn't a spot for Grant this week.

Mantis
01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Bryza aside...this is the line that got me.

Do you think he is pointing the finger at the forward group or just one player in particular?

Rocket Science
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
In fairness everyone up forward needs to lift, but it's hard not to interpret things more specifically.

Nobody amongst the forward group is expected to pluck pack marks on a regular basis. Johnno, Aker, Mitch, Murph, Gia, Hill...they can take the odd contested grab, but that's not their stock and trade, they're all leading types.

Who does that leave?

Rocket's not saying anything surprising, what's of interest to me is his comment (and obviously throwing Bryza up forward) represents the first concrete signs of his patience waning...and of further interest is what we might try to do about it.

LostDoggy
01-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Do you think he is pointing the finger at the forward group or just one player in particular?

I think he just wishes someone could take a bloody mark up forward. Anyone.

[My two cents: put Tiller or Skip up there, and play Johnno exclusively out of the square. They can take a grab.]

strebla
01-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I think he just wishes someone could take a bloody mark up forward. Anyone.

[My two cents: put Tiller or Skip up there, and play Johnno exclusively out of the square. They can take a grab.]

If Skipper does get a game this is really the only spot for him I believe But I doubt he is up to it would go with Tiller first and second

LostDoggy
01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Lake goes with ebb and flow (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/lake-goes-with-ebb-and-flow/2009/04/30/1240982346048.html)

http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2009/04/30/wbAFLlake.jpg

Unflattering.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM
If Skipper does get a game this is really the only spot for him I believe But I doubt he is up to it would go with Tiller first and second

What's with all the love for Tiller?

He has never taken a contested mark at AFL level.

ledge
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah but he can kick a goal from 20m out

Mantis
01-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah but he can kick a goal from 20m out

You have to get it first, the ball that is.

LostDoggy
02-05-2009, 12:15 AM

Don't take my word for it, but didn't he take that pack mark near the behind post in '07 against the Saints in the dying minutes and convert to put the Dogs 5 points in front, before Riewoldt kicked the point to draw the game?

And pretty sure he took a contested mark at the top of the forward 50 against the Hawks last year from a Hawks defensive kick-out turnover (and copped a front-on knock for his troubles)?

Not suggesting he's the next Jason Dunstall, mind you...

The Coon Dog
02-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Don't take my word for it, but didn't he take that pack mark near the behind post in '07 against the Saints in the dying minutes and convert to put the Dogs 5 points in front, before Riewoldt kicked the point to draw the game?

It was Skipper & he put us 1 point in front.

strebla
02-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Please don'y see it as love for Tillier Although he is improving it has a lot more to do with a lack of love for Skipper .