PDA

View Full Version : The Official I Hate The Umpies Forum!

LostDoggy
03-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Seriously they've been doing terrible this season!
Why are they paid for a job they do, or should I say DON'T do!
Standout pathetic umpires imclude the team that did the West Coast game, and our St.Kilda game tonight!
I found it ironic the way the match started!
Whistle, bounce, whistle, ''ill have it back boys, bad bounce'l.
Seriosuly, they should do their job instead of leave the whistle!
So much for whistle blowers!

AndrewP6
04-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Idiots...I have nothing good to say about them...

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 12:33 AM
They're actually paid part time only....but that's another matter.

AndrewP6
04-05-2009, 12:48 AM
They're actually paid part time only....but that's another matter.

Part of their problem... even so, if I pay someone to do a job, I want it done competently..

BulldogBelle
04-05-2009, 02:09 AM
How was the Saints defender handballing into the point post not a deliberate rushed behind? And bumps after kicking the ball not frees [except the St Kilda one where they got 50 and a goal:rolleyes:]

Rocket Science
04-05-2009, 02:49 AM
More fuel for the fire: Crossy's quick-give handball inside defensive 50 during the 3rd that was incorrectly judged a throw, gifting the Saints a goal.

Remi Moses
04-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Please don't blame the umpires for our poor skills and the worst hanballing you'll ever see:rolleyes:Blaming umpires is football supporter with a losers limp

Rance Fan
04-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Ump missed a few saints throws, but thats how it goes. We have players whos job it is to kick goals, getting paid 250k + and they cant slot them thru from 35 out on a slight angle

The Underdog
04-05-2009, 10:31 AM
How was the Saints defender handballing into the point post not a deliberate rushed behind? And bumps after kicking the ball not frees [except the St Kilda one where they got 50 and a goal:rolleyes:]

If it was handballed into the point post it should be deliberate out of bounds. Also the 50 and goal against Minson was correct under the new rule that awards 50 for taking a player out of the play. Apart from the free for the Cross "throw" and a couple of poor holding the balls against us I don't think we were treated too harshly. I'd be more upset at the fact that we were beaten by a team prepared to work harder than we were.

Although all things being equal I would like to kick Stephen McBurney in the balls...

Bulldog4life
04-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Please don't blame the umpires for our poor skills and the worst hanballing you'll ever see:rolleyes:Blaming umpires is football supporter with a losers limp

I am not an umpire basher but the umpire with number 1 on his back was without a doubt biased towards St.Kilda. It would not have changed the outcome of the game but it is a fact.

1eyedog
04-05-2009, 11:09 AM
This should read thread not forum. How boring would an umpires forum be?

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 12:04 PM
This should read thread not forum. How boring would an umpires forum be?

It would be awesome. They could discuss their favourite uniforms. Theres plenty to choose from..the green one, red, yellow, traditional white and they could have a umpire brownlow where they gather on a Sunday night and judge the 'best of the worst' performances round by round :rolleyes:

bulldogtragic
04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Part of their problem... even so, if I pay someone to do a job, I want it done competently..
Don't want to sound to smarty-pants but i have been an umpires coach for junior kids, trying to console them that someone needed to do the job, that they could, and rude and abusive parents rants were not really aimed at them.

Firstly, they are not respected enough, say like they are in soccer - Perhaps you could mount an argument to say you need to earn respect. I say no, but like Jeff i say take the numbers and mic's pff them and let them do their own thing. I umpired a prettty decent seniors level and the banter between myself and players would not be fit for print. Some players needed a quick "after you touch the ball a couple of times, you can ask me a question" (paraphrasing for kids).

Secondly, if you are on the accredited list of umpires i believe you are on a retainer for the year. Then praccy games, NAB bcup games and 22 senior games, bonuses, then you do finals and the GF. That scenario of being a top line umpire is over $100,000 per annum. Got to be the best paying PT job ever. Many are lawyers, accountants and other types of professionals with day jobs. I don't think denying them their careeer for 5 hours of watching highlight reels is anygood.

I for one have been annoyed at times with them this year, but all this does is deflect from the fact that our best 22 is underperforming and no amount of umpire different decisions could have changed that. In fact overall, they have been pretty good. Consistent with HTB and not over-officious o the rushed behind rule. I prefer to ignore them, but i understand we all need to vent our umpire rage somtimes.

aker39
04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
^^^^^^

Some very good points there.

What league did you umpire in?

bulldogtragic
04-05-2009, 12:37 PM
^^^^^^

Some very good points there.

What league did you umpire in?
MPNFL

Did my Level 2 but injured both calves and never fully recovered. I was hoping to crack the VFL academy squad too as it happens. Then took up the juniors observing/coaching and trying to help kids stay in the system. It was also good as i got some ralented footy kids to also umpire as well. And i think they gota different and great feel for the game. I don't know too much about what the U/18's do, but i thought it was a really good intitiative for talented kids and it showed that the 'cool' kids umpire too, which broke down some barriers.

bornadog
04-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Umpires have been doing a pretty good job this season.

The biggest issue is the number of changes and interpretation of rules that just confuses everyone. The 50 metre penalty for example has been over used and abused and is a very harsh penalty. eg, Minson running towards a player, in slow motion tackles, but the player is quick and gets the handball away. Free kick and 50 metre penalty results for an infringement that had nothing to do with the general play.

The people that sit around and try to change the game to be played how they want it to be played need a good hard look at themselves, because we cannot make the game flow or be played, how we want it through a rule change.

mighty_west
04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I actually feel sorry for the umps, all the rule changes must make life that much more difficult, i mean i was watching the Sunday Footy Show, they had Goldie trying to show what a legal push was and an illegal push, had me stumped, had the panel stumped!!!

Funny but watching the game at home yesterday and not at the game, and the umpiring didn't seem all that bad to be honest, except for the Cross handball that was deemed a throw, that was a shocker, but all in all, didn't seem that bad, where's had i been at the game, i would have been cursing the men in Green all the way home.

aker39
04-05-2009, 01:47 PM
where's had i been at the game, i would have been cursing the men in Green all the way home.

Yes, it's amazing how different it can look from 10 metres away rather than 100.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Don't want to sound to smarty-pants but i have been an umpires coach for junior kids, trying to console them that someone needed to do the job, that they could, and rude and abusive parents rants were not really aimed at them.

Firstly, they are not respected enough, say like they are in soccer - Perhaps you could mount an argument to say you need to earn respect. I say no, but like Jeff i say take the numbers and mic's pff them and let them do their own thing. I umpired a prettty decent seniors level and the banter between myself and players would not be fit for print. Some players needed a quick "after you touch the ball a couple of times, you can ask me a question" (paraphrasing for kids).

Secondly, if you are on the accredited list of umpires i believe you are on a retainer for the year. Then praccy games, NAB bcup games and 22 senior games, bonuses, then you do finals and the GF. That scenario of being a top line umpire is over $100,000 per annum. Got to be the best paying PT job ever. Many are lawyers, accountants and other types of professionals with day jobs. I don't think denying them their careeer for 5 hours of watching highlight reels is anygood.

I for one have been annoyed at times with them this year, but all this does is deflect from the fact that our best 22 is underperforming and no amount of umpire different decisions could have changed that. In fact overall, they have been pretty good. Consistent with HTB and not over-officious o the rushed behind rule. I prefer to ignore them, but i understand we all need to vent our umpire rage somtimes.

Except that we had just kicked two goals and were heading in to kick a third with a bit of momentum and that destroyed the momentum.

mighty_west
04-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes, it's amazing how different it can look from 10 metres away rather than 100.

Absolutely, i hate it when people say, oh you wearn't at the game, you didn't see the big picture etc etc, i goto most games, missed yesterday, but i actually see more on TV than at the ground itself, especially for umpiring decisions.

soupman
04-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Absolutely, i hate it when people say, oh you wearn't at the game, you didn't see the big picture etc etc, i goto most games, missed yesterday, but i actually see more on TV than at the ground itself, especially for umpiring decisions.

I agree with this. We tend to tape the games, and watch them when we get home if we won, and they're also a good time killer in the off-season.

The perfect example was the round 3 St.Kilda game last year. I remember being at the game and the entire first quarter we were just yelling at the umpires for pulling seemingly random free kicks out of their arse, all in St.Kilda's favour.

When we re-watched that quarter on TV, it was actually quite impressive how spot on the umpires were. Everything they paid was correct, and a lot of it wasn't obvious, but still a legitimate free.

They have a tough job, and most of the time I think they do well. It does however frustrate me when they guess or make assumptions. For instance, that free paid against Cross was paid by the umpire who was behind Cross, and thus couldn't see his hands properly. I'm tipping from his angle he didn't see a throw, but didn't see an obvious handball and chose to assume it was a throw. That was poor umpiring.

Rocket Science
04-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree with this. We tend to tape the games, and watch them when we get home if we won, and they're also a good time killer in the off-season.

The perfect example was the round 3 St.Kilda game last year. I remember being at the game and the entire first quarter we were just yelling at the umpires for pulling seemingly random free kicks out of their arse, all in St.Kilda's favour.

When we re-watched that quarter on TV, it was actually quite impressive how spot on the umpires were. Everything they paid was correct, and a lot of it wasn't obvious, but still a legitimate free.

They have a tough job, and most of the time I think they do well. It does however frustrate me when they guess or make assumptions. For instance, that free paid against Cross was paid by the umpire who was behind Cross, and thus couldn't see his hands properly. I'm tipping from his angle he didn't see a throw, but didn't see an obvous handball and chose to assume it was a throw. That was a joke.

Precisely. How often do you hear them respond to a player who queries a non-decision with "I can't pay it if I didn't see it".

Btw, am in no way suggesting the umpires had any bearing on yesterday's result.

AndrewP6
04-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Interesting post...my thoughts -

Umpires should be respected, yes... they also need to apply the same standards they ask for to the players. Too many times have I heard their comments and "banter" as you call it. Yet if a player dares try to do the same thing, they get pinged. They're self-important and overly precious. Don't want to harp on it, as I've mentioned it numerous times in other posts, but calling a player by his nickname when the very same player is not allowed to breathe on the ump is absurd. Do they want to be buddies, or not? Like their interpretation of the rules - far too inconsistent. No wonder players don't know what to do. I'm not saying it should be open season - just that they should be brought down off the pedestal. There's a difference between abusing/threatening an umpire, and simply airing an opinion of their performance - or putting a hand on their arm... Speaking as a teacher, I'd never permit my students to abuse/threaten an umpire, but if they had concerns, talk to me, and I'll approach them. No harm in that. Do that in the big league, and you get slapped with a fine...

Your information regarding their salary amazes me. This only serves to back up my claim that they should be much better at the jobs they do. $100,000 PLUS a day job? If they're going to get all precious about being looked after, and no one criticising them, send them to extra umpire classes! I do think they are at best average, and they can and sometimes do directly influence games. Something simple like all the holding that goes on with midfielders, or the "Chris Judd Exception" with holding-the-ball. It's as clear as day -even with the myriad of things they do.

No, they're not the reason we're 3-3... but they aren't worthy of praise either (or a recognition round) :)

aker39
05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Umpires should be respected, yes... they also need to apply the same standards they ask for to the players. Too many times have I heard their comments and "banter" as you call it. Yet if a player dares try to do the same thing, they get pinged. They're self-important and overly precious. Don't want to harp on it, as I've mentioned it numerous times in other posts, but calling a player by his nickname when the very same player is not allowed to breathe on the ump is absurd.

What is the difference between an umpire calling a player Juddy and a player calling an umpire Goldy.

Please give me one example of an umpire swearing at a player in the current environment. In the past, it used to happen, a player would have a go at an umpire and the umpire would have a go back. But the AFL did not want that happening and things were sanitised.

I don't agree with the current interpretations, but they are very clear. If a player swears at an umpire, they will be penalised.

If an umpire swears at a player, he won't be umpiring the next week.

Like their interpretation of the rules - far too inconsistent. No wonder players don't know what to do. I'm not saying it should be open season - just that they should be brought down off the pedestal. There's a difference between abusing/threatening an umpire, and simply airing an opinion of their performance - or putting a hand on their arm... Speaking as a teacher, I'd never permit my students to abuse/threaten an umpire, but if they had concerns, talk to me, and I'll approach them. No harm in that. Do that in the big league, and you get slapped with a fine...

Yes there is a difference between abusing/threatening an umpire and simply airing an opinion.

If you are referring to Heath Shaw, he went out of his way to dispute the decision and slightly knocked the umpire off his line. - He got suspended.

Max Rooke, tried to help the umpire and touched his shirt to get his attention - he did not get suspended

Luke Hodge put his hand around the umpire in friendly manner - he did not get suspended

Can you see the difference?

Your information regarding their salary amazes me. This only serves to back up my claim that they should be much better at the jobs they do. $100,000 PLUS a day job? If they're going to get all precious about being looked after, and no one criticising them, send them to extra umpire classes! I do think they are at best average, and they can and sometimes do directly influence games. Something simple like all the holding that goes on with midfielders, or the "Chris Judd Exception" with holding-the-ball. It's as clear as day -even with the myriad of things they do.

No, they're not the reason we're 3-3... but they aren't worthy of praise either (or a recognition round)

The top 3 umpires would earn $100,000, the average would earn $60,000 and the bottom range would earn $40,000.

The one thing that irks me is when people say that umpires can not be criticised and are not accountable. I can assure you that the umpires are accountable. If they are consistantly bad, (in the eyes of their coaches, not one eyed supporters) they will be dropped. Not for making one or two mistakes (is Fev being dropped this week), but for consistant bad performances.

As for the recognition round, it was to recognise umpires in local footy. It was supported by the AFL umpires by them wearing the same green shirts that a rookie umpire wears when he 1st starts umpiring in local footy.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Interesting post...my thoughts -

Umpires should be respected, yes... they also need to apply the same standards they ask for to the players. Too many times have I heard their comments and "banter" as you call it. Yet if a player dares try to do the same thing, they get pinged. They're self-important and overly precious. Don't want to harp on it, as I've mentioned it numerous times in other posts, but calling a player by his nickname when the very same player is not allowed to breathe on the ump is absurd. Do they want to be buddies, or not? Like their interpretation of the rules - far too inconsistent. No wonder players don't know what to do. I'm not saying it should be open season - just that they should be brought down off the pedestal. There's a difference between abusing/threatening an umpire, and simply airing an opinion of their performance - or putting a hand on their arm... Speaking as a teacher, I'd never permit my students to abuse/threaten an umpire, but if they had concerns, talk to me, and I'll approach them. No harm in that. Do that in the big league, and you get slapped with a fine...

No, they're not the reason we're 3-3... but they aren't worthy of praise either (or a recognition round) :)

Some interesting points - see Aker's response.

For me the numbers on their backs, pics in the record and mic'ing them is bad.

If the AFL wants less umpire scrutiny, then I would think less focus. I recall an umpiring conference at Ballarat I attended and one of the very good AFL umpires was talking and then asked for questions.

Mine was, "Channel 9 have just got the TV rights. We have seen with cricket the sctutiny on umpires and the introduction of technology and snicko and the third umpire and the like. Do you see the scrutiny of umpiring rising with the technology channel 9 have (Channel 7 obviously didnt have it at the time). Because I think the scrutiny will rise and then technology may be forced upon us.

The response generally went along the lines of probably not, nothing to worry about.

Take ODD cricket on TV or the VFL on television. If a questionable decision is made, 10 seconds is focused on it becuase there isn't enough technology or other interest to keep highlighting potential errors. I like that. I can't stand AFL coverage where they spend 10 minutes going over a potential free kick from 10 angles and then the ump's explanantion. Same with cricket, and hasn't the referral system been great for that sport.

The human side of our game is what makes it great, and if you are smart you can get around umpires. I recall a over 40's game (super-fools) a few years ago and i was standing on the side lines and saw a massive throw. The wiley older player knew where the umpire was position, so in the course of the tackle threw it over the line at an angle the umpire could not see it. The tackler said some words GVGjr wont let me post, and the respose from the wiley old guy was "mate, he has got to see it, to pay it".

With all the angles on the ground you can;t see everything, and that's life. Three is enough umpires, it's just a continual proces of gettting conisitent decisions across the group of umpires and i agree the cardinal sin is paying frees when you're not sure. I did it a few times, and (with blowing the whistle too early for a mark which is dropped) is the only time i apologised. But lets face it, for those that watched the South Africa Series juts gone, technology ruined the game and made statistically no difference.

The micing in particular annoys me, umpires need to have conversations with players Peter Carey style and cannot anymore. It's time for us umpires to fall into the background, but also for broadcasters to take away the constant technology over every decision. And for all junior footy parents to start take a zero tolerance approach to umpire abuse and ugly parent syndrome.

But in reality, thne broadcasters love it, the AFL/umpires get sponsorship dollars and thats what the game is now TV and money. Talking common sense and footy as it should be is now a matter for the lower leagues. I will always be a dogs member, and attend where possible, but the love ain't quite there for the AFL (note AFL) like it used to be.

And most importnatly, i hate that Chris Judd can never be pinged for holding the ball. That does shit me.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2009, 11:07 AM
What is/was good about some local footy clubs.

The President would come in after the match with a $50 drink card, and say please come up and have a drink with the boys, of both clubs.

That used to be great. In a good environment with sensible people, you could have a beer and argue points of a rule and what occured. And if i ever stuffed up, i would say so. CULTURE. And in Frankston enevitably you would run into someone from the team at the nightclubs and i used to be brought free drinks as i was liked as an umpire. Then they'd put it on me for the 3,2,1 for the day, and well there's no such thing as a free drink.

I would love to know Aker what happens at the higher levels with trying to establish respect and rapore with players and what you think needs to be done, if anything?

AndrewP6
07-05-2009, 12:21 AM
What is the difference between an umpire calling a player Juddy and a player calling an umpire Goldy.

I haven't heard players do that on the field. They're probably too scared

Please give me one example of an umpire swearing at a player in the current environment.

I didn't say swearing, I said "banter"..

If you are referring to Heath Shaw, he went out of his way to dispute the decision and slightly knocked the umpire off his line. - He got suspended.
"slightly" being the key word - did he actually move him. I seem to recall a simple hand on the arm?

The top 3 umpires would earn $100,000, the average would earn $60,000 and the bottom range would earn $40,000.
Sixty grand is the average... which, I assume would be most of them... as much as I earn per year as a teacher. And people aren't shy in criticising us publicly!

As for the recognition round, it was to recognise umpires in local footy.
No problem with that... maybe bring some up from the local leagues to work at the big show!;)