03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I need some more thinking time.

comrade
03-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Out:
Hahn, Gia, Addison

In:
Skipper, O'Keefe, Ward

Would also consider Callan, Reid and Grant.

Mantis
03-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Out:
Hahn, Gia, Addison

In:
Skipper, O'Keefe, Ward

Would also consider Callan, Reid and Grant.

Ward really struggled with his 'burst' play (away from stoppages & broken play) in his first 5 games with us. Do you think that it has improved in just 1 week?

Also do we really need to add another 'slowish' yet tough midfielder with suspect foot skills to the team? Thinking about it there ain't to many others who don't fit this category.... So much for our 'great' depth.

Rance Fan
03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Out
Hahn, Gia, Gilbee

In
Skipper, Reid, OKeefe

Hope they leave Skipper up forward so he can create a marking contest when we kick a rainmaker towards the goals

comrade
03-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Ward really struggled with his 'burst' play (away from stoppages & broken play) in his first 5 games with us. Do you think that it has improved in just 1 week?

Also do we really need to add another 'slowish' yet tough midfielder with suspect foot skills to the team? Thinking about it there ain't to many others who don't fit this category.... So much for our 'great' depth.

It's more about rewarding good form - I thought Ward responded well to having a spell.

If we really want to inject some pace and creativity, Brennan Stack is the man. I can't see it happening though.

LostDoggy
03-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Out: Western Bulldogs
In: Williamstown Seagulls

LostDoggy
03-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I cant see Hahn being dropped...and it frustrates me that we don't just drop out of form players..

With Murphy & Hahn not getting the job done we need to to do something different.

Last year when we played Adelaide we had Skipper & Reid in. Both had a decent game, i think we gotta take them 2 up this week or at least try an O'Keefe because our current squad is simply NOT. GETTING. IT. DONE. EADE.

LostDoggy
03-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Outs: Hahn, Eagleton, Gia

Ins: Skipper, Ward, O'Keefe

Mantis
03-05-2009, 09:52 PM
It's more about rewarding good form - I thought Ward responded well to having a spell.

But the question remains has he had enough time to work on his deficiencies such that his next stint in the senior team is more successful than his first stint.

BulldogBelle
03-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Out:
Hahn, Gia, Addison, Harbrow

In:
Skipper, O'Keefe, Williams, Callan

Hahn is really struggling at the moment. He rarely is in the right position and rarely gets off the ground when in a marking contest. Think playing him AS the centre half forward effectively he gets matched up on a taller oponent who gets off the ground.

Minson took a few grabs tonight against the Saints, but also think our forward line would benefit from having Skipper there, with Aker, Johnson etc at his feet.

Gia was SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW tonight, slow to contests, and slow when he got the ball, he needs to find some form at Williamstown.

Addison got caught too many times, his disposal isnt great

Harbrow, although he contested well, was late and beaten to most contests, and a large number of his dispsals were very ineffective

Either O'Keefe or Grant to come in the side to play as a lead up forward alongside Murphy, with Skip and Minson taking the contests.

comrade
03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
But the question remains has he had enough time to work on his deficiencies such that his next stint in the senior team is more successful than his first stint.

It's a tough one because his major deficiency is his inability to accelerate and burst away at AFL level but how can he work at that at Williamstown, where the pace and intensity is so much different?

He'll only get better with more game time at the highest level, it's whether we're prepared for some short term pain.

An option could be to play him forward - he's good overhead and probably smart enough to get away. He's also a handy shot for goal. From there he can rotate through the midfield?

The Pie Man
03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I think Skipper has to play - could the beard be in any trouble? He wasn't flash with the ball today. Not the 1st time this has been asked - can Minson/Beard/Skip be in the same 22?

Would you keep Everitt in? Some questionable decision making but I'd like to think he's in our best 22 when up and going. He looks a bit bigger this year which is pleasing.

I think Reid is also right behind Skip on the door.

You'd think Williams would come straight back in. A few decisions may depend on the weather.

Giansiracusa has had a really ordinary month now. Griffen too (not that he should get dropped) Hahn has to be running out of chances. Eagleton was serviceable

Rance Fan
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Dog House;82450]Out:

Harbrow, although he contested well, was late and beaten to most contests, and a large number of his dispsals were very ineffective

QUOTE]

:confused:

I thought he did a good job. Milne had no effect or goals on the game, in a winning St kilda team.

Only thing id prefer is to have him up forward so he can put some takling pressure on in the forward 50.

No one else up there seems to be doing it, to an great effect. Hahn use too

Mantis
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
It's a tough one because his major deficiency is his inability to accelerate and burst away at AFL level but how can he work at that at Williamstown, where the pace and intensity is so much different?

He'll only get better with more game time at the highest level, it's whether we're prepared for some short term pain.

An option could be to play him forward - he's good overhead and probably smart enough to get away. He's also a handy shot for goal. From there he can rotate through the midfield?

Some good points there.:)

On the forward option I suppose he would have to displace one of our other medium sized/ small forwards which is a real possibility as a couple of them are really struggling.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
03-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Out:
Hahn, Gia, Addison, Harbrow

In:
Skipper, O'Keefe, Williams, Callan

Hahn is really struggling at the moment. He rarely is in the right position and rarely gets off the ground when in a marking contest. Think playing him AS the centre half forward effectively he gets matched up on a taller oponent who gets off the ground.

Minson took a few grabs tonight against the Saints, but also think our forward line would benefit from having Skipper there, with Aker, Johnson etc at his feet.

Gia was SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW tonight, slow to contests, and slow when he got the ball, he needs to find some form at Williamstown.

Addison got caught too many times, his disposal isnt great

Either O'Keefe or Grant to come in the side to play as a lead up forward alongside Murphy, with Skip and Minson taking the contests.

Eade rated Harbrow our best player tonight - he was far from the worst.

comrade
03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd like to see Everitt stay in but who does he play on next week as Adelaide have as many tall forwards as us. Personally, I hope he gets moved up the ground as a tall wingman and use his foot skills to hit forward targets. His pin point kick to Hill was a highlight tonight.

G-Mo77
03-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I want Skipper in this side. The forward structure needs a shake up and it wouldn't hurt to have a mobile big man that can ruck a little.

A lot of names could be thrown on the list of outs. There were a lot of pasengers tonight and quite a few of those have been for the past few weeks.

Minson maybe in a bit of strife with the MRP panel anyway. He did something to Goddard at the end of the 3rd. Didn't see it actually happen but he went down holding his head. I wish he did it harder!

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Minson possibly suspended, looking for goals.

Where are all you Peter Street hating bloggers now???? :)

Just like when the club pushed out Trent Bartlett and sought goals. :)

Funnily enough, both The Tall One and The Ugg could have got a call up this week on current teams form....

lemmon
03-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Out:
Hahn, Eagleton, Addison, Gia

In:
Skipper, Reid, O'Keefe, Wood

Time to leave out some big names who arent performing IMO

aker39
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Time to leave out some big names who arent performing IMO

Then you can add Gilbee to the list.

Scorlibo
03-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Out: Hahn, Gia, Addison, Hargrave
In: Grant, Reid, Callan, Williams

More pace up forward with Grant, who can also provide a target.

If Hahn isn't giving a contest in the forward fifty, he has no use in the side.

More pace through the middle with Reid over Gia.

More composure with Callan over Addison.

And effectively Everitt in for Hargrave, who I'm not at all impressed with.

lemmon
03-05-2009, 10:25 PM

More pace up forward with Grant, who can also provide a target.

If Hahn isn't giving a contest in the forward fifty, he has no use in the side.

More pace through the middle with Reid over Gia.

More composure with Callan over Addison.

Hargrave?? I had him in our best players tonight, what weren't you impressed with?

Mantis
03-05-2009, 10:25 PM

You're own your own with that one. (and that should be Williams in)

The Coon Dog
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM

I can't believe you have Hargrave in the gun! He was one of very few to have tried his guts out today.

Why aren't you impressed with Shaggy?

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I can't believe you have Hargrave in the gun! He was one of very few have tried his guts out today.

It's a bit of a chorus but i'll ask too?

Scorlibo
03-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Hargrave?? I had him in our best players tonight, what weren't you impressed with?

You're own your own with that one. (and that should be Williams in)

I can't believe you have Hargrave in the gun! He was one of very few have tried his guts out today.

Every time Shaggy got it he would bomb long under minimal pressure right into the zone, one would think that a senior player would have more sense. Those sorts of kicks are the Saints' bread and butter, sure he may have tried his guts out, but to no avail because he continually made the same stupid decision with the ball.

aker39
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Every time Shaggy got it he would bomb long under minimal pressure right into the zone, one would think that a senior player would have more sense. Those sorts of kicks are the Saints' bread and butter, sure he may have tried his guts out, but to no avail because he continually made the same stupid decision with the ball.

So someone has 1 bad game (which others would disagree with) and you want to drop him.

We have a lot bigger problems than Shaggy

Mantis
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM

Every time??

Hargrave had 24 touches at 79% efficiency. By my reckoning if it was every time he would have had 24 touches at 0% efficiency.

You need some better reasoning than that.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Every time??

Hargrave had 24 touches at 79% efficiency. By my reckoning if it was every time he would have had 24 touches at 0% efficiency.

79% effeciency - that about makes him number one for us this game...

Scorlibo
03-05-2009, 10:47 PM
So someone has 1 bad game (which others would disagree with) and you want to drop him.

We have a lot bigger problems than Shaggy

Every time??

Firstly, this is more a continuing trend that I am noticing with him, last year he was great with his precision long accurate passing from the defensive fifty, but the zone just changes everything up and he hasn't adjusted.

Mantis, I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that a long kick is adjudged to be effective as long as it isn't a direct turnover, so that would explain his efficiency.

Obviously when I say "every time" I don't mean it in a literal sense just like all others who use such phrases. What I'm trying to get across is that he regularly makes promising rebound attacks ordinary by kicking long to the zone - and he's been doing it for most matches.

GVGjr
03-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I'd look at the following changes.

Outs - Addison, Picken and Hahn
Ins Reid, Ward and Callan.

I'd use Callan as the back pocket allowing Harbrow to be moved up the ground.
Ward would play as a HBF and Reid on the IC bench relieving the midfield.

Addison needs to get some kicks with Williamstown. Picken is very unlucky but whilst the midfield lock down is working, he just isn't getting enough of the ball himself. Hahn needs a spell as well.

I think Williams will need another week.

lemmon
03-05-2009, 10:54 PM
I'd look at the following changes.

Outs - Addison, Picken and Hahn
Ins Reid, Ward and Callan.

I'd use Callan as the back pocket allowing Harbrow to be moved up the ground.
Ward would play as a HBF and Reid on the IC bench relieving the midfield.

Addison needs to get some kicks with Williamstown. Picken is very unlucky but whilst the midfield lock down is working, he just isn't getting enough of the ball himself. Hahn needs a spell as well.

I think Williams will need another week.

Not sure i would drop Picken, he was very good on Montagna today. Might dent his confidence a bit if he does find himself dropped even with his current performances.

Mantis
03-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Firstly, this is more a continuing trend that I am noticing with him, last year he was great with his precision long accurate passing from the defensive fifty, but the zone just changes everything up and he hasn't adjusted.

Mantis, I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that a long kick is adjudged to be effective as long as it isn't a direct turnover, so that would explain his efficiency.

Obviously when I say "every time" I don't mean it in a literal sense just like all others who use such phrases. What I'm trying to get across is that he regularly makes promising rebound attacks ordinary by kicking long to the zone - and he's been doing it for most matches.

If we had a forwardline or midfield that actually worked to create an option it might make Hargrave's job of disposing the ball more effectively a little easier.

Happy Days
03-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Sharpen up your axes...

I don't think theres much merit in dropping a whole slew of "big names", one will suffice, and that one should be Gia; he's been a passenger for several weeks now. As for the others suggested:

- Gilbee's being tagged every week, and still playing okay.
- Hargrave...just no.

Callan Ward dominated yesterday. Bring him straight back in, with Reid not far behind.

Everitt out, did nothing today, and still looks short on confidence and a bit of dash from his first season. If Tommy doesn't get up, bring in Stevie T.

Hahn's surely out of credits by now. With Big Will to surely get weeks for the elbow on Goddard, bring in Skip and Grant to give our forward-line some structure. Seeing as we're bombing it inside 50 like we have a tall target, we might as well play one or two.

Just on Grant, if he is included, then KICK THE BLOODY THING TO HIM.

DFA to go too, simply because Callan is the better option.

In: Grant, Callan, Skipper, Williams, Ward
Out: Minson (susp), Addison, Everitt, Giansiricusa, Hahn (omit.)

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Sharpen up your axes...

I don't think theres much merit in dropping a whole slew of "big names", one will suffice, and that one should be Gia; he's been a passenger for several weeks now. As for the others suggested:

- Gilbee's being tagged every week, and still playing okay.
- Hargrave...just no.

Callan Ward dominated yesterday. Bring him straight back in, with Reid not far behind.

Everitt out, did nothing today, and still looks short on confidence and a bit of dash from his first season. If Tommy doesn't get up, bring in Stevie T.

Hahn's surely out of credits by now. With Big Will to surely get weeks for the elbow on Goddard, bring in Skip and Grant to give our forward-line some structure. Seeing as we're bombing it inside 50 like we have a tall target, we might as well play one or two.

DFA to go too, simply because Callan is the better option.

In: Grant, Callan, Skipper, Williams, Ward
Out: Minson (susp), Addison, Skipper, Giansiricusa, Hahn (omit.)
Bit Harsh on Skipper. Bring him in to drop him out :) :)

Stefcep
03-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Out
Hahn, Gia, Gilbee

In
Skipper, Reid, OKeefe

Hope they leave Skipper up forward so he can create a marking contest when we kick a rainmaker towards the goals

kicking the rainmaker is the problem.
Watching Reiwoldt and Kozzie lead and receive well delivered pass out in front or on their chest convinced me that having the tall foward that can take a mark in a pack is not vital. we need to seriously look at the players delivering the ball, and that means the midfielders, once our strength, now non-existent.

Sedat
03-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Out: one-paced plodders
In: leg speed (if we have any to bring in)

Hahn has had no impact for all but half a game so far this season. Gia was terrific in game 1 but has been quite poor since. Both surely will come into calculations for demotion. problem is that we do not have any leg speed to bring into the team.

LostDoggy
03-05-2009, 11:03 PM

Exactly right.

Players and coaching staff, need to treat him a little better.

Happy Days
03-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Bit Harsh on Skipper. Bring him in to drop him out :) :)

Trying to bring a new ruthless culture to the club. ;)

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Trying to bring a new ruthless culture to the club. ;)
I like it. It has so many humourous applications.

Mantis
03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Out: one-paced plodders
In: leg speed (if we have any to bring in)

Mid-field type (running) players who represented the Williamstown seniors yesterday who are on the Bulldogs list:

Reid, Ward, O'Keefe, Wood, Stack, Callan.

From these I would say just Stack & Wood had any real pace and these are the 2 less likely to be promoted from this list.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Mid-field type (running) players who represented the Williamstown seniors yesterday who are on the Bulldogs list:

From these I would say just Stack & Wood had any real pace and these are the 2 less likely to be promoted from this list.
I want to know more about the convo you had on the weekend about Stack being a little like Hill (i Guess) in that they underperform at VFL but can do magical things when raised to the next level. I have thought it about him but no more than a thought. It worked is Josh's case?

Sedat
03-05-2009, 11:41 PM

Therein lies the conundrum - the best performed players form Willy are one-paced mid sized players. That's the main reason I was disappointed with the decision to drop Grant last week as he has an abundance of that precious commodity, leg speed, that we currently lack in spades.

The reality is that Mal Lynch and Jamason Daniels are the only genuine speedsters coming through, but both are miles down the pecking order at present.

Rocket Science
03-05-2009, 11:48 PM
I understand the foot-speed issue, which is clearly compounded when Cooney and Griffen aren't at the peak of their powers, but lack of pace wasn't what undid us today.

We're faultering in almost all areas (primarily midfield and up forward) so I'd be quite content promoting anyone who warrants it, regardless of their perceived pace.

LostDoggy
03-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Then you can add Gilbee to the list.

I hope Eade doesn't pay heed to such foolishness. You don't drop a player of his quality on a few bad games. He'll turn the corner. He wasn't the worst one out there tonight.

The Underdog
03-05-2009, 11:49 PM

Funnily enough, both The Tall One and The Ugg could have got a call up this week on current teams form....

Peter Street wouldn't get a game in my lounge room:). Daniel Bandy was a champ comparatively. You've got Bartlett's nickname right just the spelling wrong, it was "The Ugh"

In: Skipper, Reid or Williams (if fit)
Out: Hahn, Eagleton

AndrewP6
04-05-2009, 12:00 AM
For mine...

OUT - Addison (like the bloke, but almost non-existent), Hahn (to put a rocket up him, and vicariously, others!)
IN - Ward, Callan.

If Minno goes for the elbow, maybe Skipper has a chance to win me over. I thought Everitt wasn't too bad. Could stay if Tommy doesn't come back in. Not even gonna try to pump for Welsh...might go visit him in hospital... :(

Anyone else see a real problem with people observing our lack of speed, and we have largely the same group as a couple of years ago...with the exception of Ray and McMahon, two quick blokes...

AndrewP6
04-05-2009, 12:01 AM
I hope Eade doesn't pay heed to such foolishness. You don't drop a player of his quality on a few bad games. He'll turn the corner. He wasn't the worst one out there tonight.

Agreed, Gilbs is a talent.

AndrewP6
04-05-2009, 12:03 AM
I understand the foot-speed issue, which is clearly compounded when Cooney and Griffen aren't at the peak of their powers, but lack of pace wasn't what undid us today.

We're faultering in almost all areas (primarily midfield and up forward) so I'd be quite content promoting anyone who warrants it, regardless of their perceived pace.

Good points... I don't think we were out paced...

The Underdog
04-05-2009, 12:04 AM
For those wanting Grant as a lead up forward, he put in a lot of poor leads with weak one handed runs under the ball yesterday. I wasn't impressed at all. Skipper worked his arse off and Reid was really impressive in the middle when Willy were travelling well.

bornadog
04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Out: Eagleton, Hahn

In: Williams, OKeefe

If Minson is suspended, then Skipper in.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 12:21 AM
From listening on radio - we need a tall target across Half Forward and Hahn is not providing it. Skipper has to come into calculations - he has been working his backside off in the magoos and surely deserves a chance.

If Williams is fit and comes back in, then we run the risk of being too tall!
I would like to see Everitt played as an attacking wingman - where I think he is better suited.

In: Skipper, Williams, Reid or Ward
Out: Hahn, Addison, Hudson

We need to make changes and not be afraid to try some guys who havent had a run this year (Skipper / Reid).

angelopetraglia
04-05-2009, 12:29 AM
From listening on radio - we need a tall target across Half Forward and Hahn is not providing it.

More than a target we need our forwards to put some pressure on the oppositions defenders when they are running the ball out. Our defensive pressure tonight across our half forward line was a joke.

Maybe we should look and playing Harbrow up forward to ensure our forward line defensive pressure improves. He was also dangerous in last years Prelim final across half-forward.

Hahn is the player normally providing that pressure but doesn't appear to be getting near it at the moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2009, 01:03 AM
IN: Skipper, Callan, O'Keefe/Reid, Ward
OUT: Minson, Hahn, Gia, Addison

Minson, Hahn & Gia have been poor. They've turned it over and they've applied no pressure at all. They all need a spell at Williamstown. It's a bit of experience going out, but they've been terrible for almost the entire year. Addison has been terrible lately, his disposal and decision making is replicating his form of 2-3 years ago.

Skipper's been performing well and might give us a target up forward. He at least deserve an opportunity to impress after solid form. Callan is desperately needed - I can't emphasize that enough. Harbrow really needs to be released to the forward half, which is a positive for both our back/forward structures. One of O'Keefe/Reid should play - undecided on who. I'll leave that up to others who know more. I'm leaning towards O'Keefe though, for his ability to go forward and hit a target.

I'd like to see Ward play a few games at Williamstown, but the reality is, we almost have to include him because of so many poor performing forwards/midfielders. He apparently had a big game for Willy which was good to see. I'd be hesitant to include him, but we don't have too many other options. As another poster said - he might be of use up forward with his solid hands and disposal.

Remi Moses
04-05-2009, 07:02 AM

Oh please say it aint so! Yes Streets 2 possession games are being sorely missed:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mantis
04-05-2009, 09:12 AM
IN: Skipper, Callan, O'Keefe/Reid, Ward
OUT: Minson, Hahn, Gia, Addison

Minson, Hahn & Gia have been poor. They've turned it over and they've applied no pressure at all. They all need a spell at Williamstown. It's a bit of experience going out, but they've been terrible for almost the entire year. Addison has been terrible lately, his disposal and decision making is replicating his form of 2-3 years ago.

Skipper's been performing well and might give us a target up forward. He at least deserve an opportunity to impress after solid form. Callan is desperately needed - I can't emphasize that enough. Harbrow really needs to be released to the forward half, which is a positive for both our back/forward structures. One of O'Keefe/Reid should play - undecided on who. I'll leave that up to others who know more. I'm leaning towards O'Keefe though, for his ability to go forward and hit a target.

I'd like to see Ward play a few games at Williamstown, but the reality is, we almost have to include him because of so many poor performing forwards/midfielders. He apparently had a big game for Willy which was good to see. I'd be hesitant to include him, but we don't have too many other options. As another poster said - he might be of use up forward with his solid hands and disposal.

Minson was by far our best ruckman yesterday and actually took a couple of grabs up forward. I cannot agree with this decision.

Rance Fan
04-05-2009, 09:20 AM
I thought Everitt performed well in the back half and was a steady contributor.
Minson besides a dumb free kick he at least contests, has some fight, presents and kicks a couple of goals. Much more than can be said for alot of the others!!

We have alot of small midfield type players under performing that are not tackling who are or look slow...Thats where the changes are needed!

Also hes a great captain and tries hard but has Johnno gone on for a year to long?

craigsahibee
04-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Out : Eagleton, Minson

In : Grant, Skipper

Grant can be the lead-up half forward. His pace and the expanses at Footy Park will suit him.

Murphy needs a run across half-back. Could be a good match up for Porplyzia. The Crows will try and use Porplyzia as much as possible and hopefully bring Murph into the game. If Porplyzia plays as a deep forward, Dale goes to him. We should try and get either Gilbee or Murphy as a loose man behind the ball. Good in theory, but difficult to manufacture.

Not sure about Tommy if he is fit. Everitt did enough to hold his spot although he may struggle against Tippet when he goes forward for the Crows. If Tommy is fit, it maybe a chance to rest Johnno. He looked sore at times yesterday and with physical games against Geelong & Sydney in the next month it's a chance to give him a week off, get some touch against Melbourne the following week in readiness for the cats and swans.

If Tommy does play, that can free Everitt to run through the mid-field (take Eagleton's place on the wing)

There have been some calls for Gia to be dropped. Admittedly his form has suffered over the last few weeks, but against a tight checking team like the Crows, I think we will need his precise skill to hit targets. For this reason Eagleton does not get a game.

Skip has the endurance to play deep up forward and help out in the Ruck. Can't get involved in a battle for strength with Rutten, he will win out every time. We have to be smart with our delivery to Skip. Kick to his advantage and get crumbers front and square.

bornadog
04-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Minson was by far our best ruckman yesterday and actually took a couple of grabs up forward. I cannot agree with this decision.

I thought Minson was one of our better players on the night.

The Underdog
04-05-2009, 10:21 AM

I thought Minson was one of our better players on the night.

I gave him best on for us purely because I thought he gave 4 quarters of effort, ran as hard as he could and tried to be accountable, which made him better than the midfielders who worked under him. He's heading into scapegoat territory because he's not the key forward many want him to be but he was clearly better than Huddo yesterday and while I don't know how much improvement he has in him he can't be faulted on yesterday's effort.

Sedat
04-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Agree on Minson as well - rucked well and provided some sort of presence up forward. He responded positvely to a period of poor form. The only area that he let himself down last night was in giving away stupid free kicks once again. Also gave away a costly 50 in the 1st qtr when we were matching it with the Saints which resulted in gifting a goal and momentum back to the Saints. Also he will come under scrutiny for his needless altercation with Goddard.

Mantis
04-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I gave him best on for us purely because I thought he gave 4 quarters of effort, ran as hard as he could and tried to be accountable, which made him better than the midfielders who worked under him. He's heading into scapegoat territory because he's not the key forward many want him to be but he was clearly better than Huddo yesterday and while I don't know how much improvement he has in him he can't be faulted on yesterday's effort.

Shouldn't that be re-named 'Farren Ray' territory?

1eyedog
04-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Some posters here make comments like "Bit harsh to drop him" or "it might dent his confidence if we drop him". What sort of statements are these? Seriously! Professional footballers are professional footballers, it's what they do full-time, If you are dropped too bad, go back to the Seagulls and work harder, be determined to get back. Denting players confidence by dropping them back to the magoos stinks of a weak mentality if you ask me. These professionals on top dollar should be going back to the magoos and working their butts off to get back. On the contrary they should be stoked (like Grant) that they got a run. We want and need mentally strong players. That said I am hesitant to make too many large scale changes i.e bring in 3 or 4 young blokes at once. It worked for the Pies last year but I'm not sure.

IN: Williams, Callan if fit
OUT: Hahn (needs confidence), Addison (a liability atm).

Skipper in for Minson if that goes pear-shaped for us.

Where is Welsh at? I still have faith in our mids but we need a player to provide aerial contests in the F50.

Ozza
04-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Out: Eagleton, Hahn & Addison.

In: Williams (if fit); Callan; O'Keefe

Also am not against giving Skipper a chance. I honestly don't think he can play - but you have to reward his efforts in the 2's - and we really fell down up forward - maybe give him a crack at full forward.

I thought Everitt had a good game - really contested well and was one of the few who used it ok.

Just a question - where does everyone see Cross at the moment. For someone who won a B&F last year - I think he is really down. I know we all love crossy and his efforts. But we really need more out of him. His decision making has been dreadful, and he seems to be playing without confidence. has been far from our worst - but long term - it will be interesting to see where you fit all of Cross, Boyd & Picken (who has been great) in the side.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree...

Our midfield isn't at its best.

Cooney playing at 50% Griffin 70% Crossy 70% Boydy is prob the only one lately that is playing at his best..

This is a major problem to why we're losing

Ozza
04-05-2009, 12:02 PM
A mate works for St.Kilda and the two things he said to me of interest last night (based on the saints de-brief) was:

-Their plan was to play Goddard high and get him the football and the dogs didn't work anywhere near hard enough at stopping him from getting a free reign.
- They thought Cooney got a hold of Jones as the game wore on and they thought Cooney will dominate with a week or two worth of fitness back.

comrade
04-05-2009, 12:37 PM
A mate works for St.Kilda and the two things he said to me of interest last night (based on the saints de-brief) was:

-Their plan was to play Goddard high and get him the football and the dogs didn't work anywhere near hard enough at stopping him from getting a free reign.
- They thought Cooney got a hold of Jones as the game wore on and they thought Cooney will dominate with a week or two worth of fitness back.

That bit of play where he outmuscled Jones, bounced off the contest and scooted away for the inside 50 was vintage Cooney - hopefully we see more of it very very soon.

Mantis
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
In: Williams, Callan, Grant, Stack
Out: Giansiracusa, Addison, Hahn, Eagleton

B: Callan, Everitt, Morris
HB: Hargrave, Williams, Stack
C: Hill, Boyd, Gilbee
HF: Akermanis, Murphy, Higgins
F: Johnson, Lake, Harbrow
R: Hudson, Griffen, Cooney

Int: Picken, Cross, Grant, Minson

* Resisted the tempatation to bring in Ward or Reid who are probably most deserving, but don't really offer clean skills or run & carry which is lacking.

* Stack is a bit from left field, but he can run, he will take the game on which might create something.... Sure he will make mistakes, but it's not like we aren't already doing that.

* Lake has to play forward. We need a tall down there who has some athleticism. Once he kicks one he will kick a few more.

* We need to go through Grant. Give the kid some early touches and he will gain some confidence.

* Skipper can replace Will if he is cited by the MRP.

bulldogtragic
04-05-2009, 01:04 PM

* Resisted the tempatation to bring in Ward or Reid who are probably most deserving, but don't really offer clean skills or run & carry which is lacking.

* Stack is a bit from left field, but he can run, he will take the game on which might create something.... Sure he will make mistakes, but it's not like we aren't already doing that.

* Lake has to play forward. We need a tall down there who has some athleticism. Once he kicks one he will kick a few more.

* We need to go through Grant. Give the kid some early touches and he will gain some confidence.

I would almost agree with that Mantis.

Particularl your reasoning with Stack, Grant and Lake. Differetnstyle, exciting prospects.

azabob
04-05-2009, 01:08 PM

Don't mind the above changes except I'd bring in O'Keefe and not Stack. I love your positional moves. Lake to FF, Harbrow to FP. I however would put Gilbee to the HBF or even the BP. Back to basics for Gilbee. Higgins to the wing, Grant to the HFF.
I get the feeling though there wont be too many changes, if any again this week.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Nice to see players thrown up to come in and out of the side..

But its more of a wishlist..

When was the last time we dropped Eagleton & Giansiracusa on form? As much as we all want it, it doesn't happen. And the time has come, we need to shakeup the side and make more than 1 simple change.

Ozza
04-05-2009, 02:55 PM
He's not going great - but I think we are a better side with Gia in the team. I think Gia will turn it around pretty quickly - he has always been consistent in the past which earns him more credits than Eagle or Hahn.

Everitt did well enough down back - that he may be able to hold down a tall again this week - so I like the suggestion of Lake going forward - especially against the Crows who will have numbers back - Lake may be able to mark some contested footy.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree...

Our midfield isn't at its best.

Cooney playing at 50% Griffin 70% Crossy 70% Boydy is prob the only one lately that is playing at his best..

This is a major problem to why we're losing

What is wrong with Crossy and Griffen? are they injuried?

I have heard, that they have been overtraining - so much so that Crossy has approached Eade about this... has anyone else heard this?

I don't really know if this is the case - but it does explain a hell of a lot IMO almost all the players look really flat to me no hard running and it has been the same for 3 weeks.

Mofra
04-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I want to know more about the convo you had on the weekend about Stack being a little like Hill (i Guess) in that they underperform at VFL but can do magical things when raised to the next level. I have thought it about him but no more than a thought. It worked is Josh's case?
Josh was woeful in his first game. It took a pre-season, good form at Willy and a complete attitude adjustment to get him in our best 22.

Mofra
04-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Shouldn't that be re-named 'Farren Ray' territory?
Dare I say it... :p

Rocket Science
04-05-2009, 03:32 PM
There's a certain satisfaction derived from swinging the axe, but we're suffering in large part because many of our best players, those who carry significant responsibilty such as Gia, are down on form.

We simply need them to be better, and they're not of much earthly use to us if they're doing it for Williamstown. If we demote anyone in that category, we all know, player included, it's a temporary measure. I'm not sure I see the value in it.

Mofra
04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Out: DFA (unfortunately), Hahn
In: Ward / Reid, Skipper

Hard at it type DFA out for similar type, Reid would offer something similar, Ward played well and maybe we need to reward his play.

Skipper would provide what Hahn does at the moment, would demand a tall, and give us the luxury of having a tall in our forwardline the whole game.

I have deliberately left Williams out, obviosuly someone would make way for him if he is fit.

azabob
04-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Josh was woeful in his first game. It took a pre-season, good form at Willy and a complete attitude adjustment to get him in our best 22.

But it did give him the taste of senior footy and made him realise what it is all about. It shouldn't have happened that way but it did.
But in fairness to Josh Hill who wasn't awful that night? lol.

bornadog
04-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Minson available to play following the match review committee.

BulldogBelle
04-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Play Lake at CHF, with Murphy and Grant/Higgins/O'Keefe either side of him if Williams is back and Everitt is firing (Williams/Everitt/Morris playing on the larger forwards)

The further up the ground Lake plays the less shots on goal he will take (and possibly miss)

Its all above the shoulders for Brian (or Brain)....once he gets a few easy goals and understands that he NEEDS to step up and take responsibility his goal kicking will improve

Mantis
04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Don't mind the above changes except I'd bring in O'Keefe and not Stack. I love your positional moves. Lake to FF, Harbrow to FP. I however would put Gilbee to the HBF or even the BP. Back to basics for Gilbee. Higgins to the wing, Grant to the HFF.
I get the feeling though there wont be too many changes, if any again this week.

I saw O'Keefe for the first time this season (in an official game) and I wasn't that impressed. I had read reports that he was in good form and good shape so I had my hopes up, but he looked lethargic on Saturday.

In Stack I saw a player who moves on top of the ground which is something we are really lacking at present.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 06:53 PM

I like this idea, very much so.

Although i don't think Rocket will be that drastic, he should just to change things up & send a message to a few.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I agree with the Lake move as much of the time he doesn't have a good enough match up in defence.
Although there is nothing I've seen so far that tells me he can kick a goal.

azabob
04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I saw O'Keefe for the first time this season (in an official game) and I wasn't that impressed. I had read reports that he was in good form and good shape so I had my hopes up, but he looked lethargic on Saturday.

In Stack I saw a player who moves on top of the ground which is something we are really lacking at present.

Fair call, I guess it was O'Keefe's first bad game for a while though, where as Stack really hasn't played well at all. But as you said maybe give Stack a go and see what happens.

1eyedog
04-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Surely Lake can only play forward if Williams is in the team? That said, Williams is out of the team a lot!

1eyedog
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Nice to see players thrown up to come in and out of the side..

But its more of a wishlist..

When was the last time we dropped Eagleton & Giansiracusa on form? As much as we all want it, it doesn't happen. And the time has come, we need to shakeup the side and make more than 1 simple change.

Best signature on the forum Alexxx

bulldog
04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
In Callan Williams Skipper
Out Hahn Eagleton Everitt

boydogs
04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
In: Welsh/Skipper, Williams

Everitt to the wing to replace Eagleton, Williams into the backline for Everitt. Welsh if fit to full forward to replace Hahn, should do well on his old home ground, Skipper same role if Welsh is not ready.

Deliberately bringing in the extra tall to stretch Adelaide, we could play Welsh/Skipper, Minson, Lake down forward with Hill, Harbrow and Aker to crumb, allowing long penetrating kicks over the zone to avoid us giving hospital handballs 70m out trying to create space.

Gilbee to the backline taking the kickouts - this may help him get into the game and his penetration will help against the Adelaide zone. Cross to play off half back as a 3rd man up (does it well in the ruck) with Lake down forward.

Happy with Addison's contested efforts, but if Callan is ready happy to swap for his superior disposal. Gia to get one last chance, leadership group to accept nothing less than 100% from each other this week with passengers to be dropped regardless of reputation

B: Addison, Morris, Gilbee
HB: Hargrave, Williams, Cross
C: Hill, Boyd, Everitt

Int: Picken, Welsh/Skipper, Giansiracusa, Minson

Bulldog Revolution
04-05-2009, 11:05 PM

They're two players I'd like to see blooded this year - exactly when Im not sure

Would a taste of AFL level show each player what they needed to work on?

Is Reid a chance this week given he is the AAMI stadium specialist??

BulldogBelle
04-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Back in 97 and 98 we had a short defense...with really only Croft over 190cms

We survived with Southern, Ellis and Kretiuk playing on the big boys, and Scott Wynd dropping back to plug the holes when needed

Point being at times its easier for a backman to be smaller than a forward cause all the defender really needs to position and possibly spoil. If our mids reduce the pressure on the backs, we should be hedging our bets towards going all out in attack. Lake aint Chris Grant, but he can sure take a mark...play Lake further up the field at CHF with Murphy and possibly Grant by his side and Aker at their feet and get them drilling passes into the F50 onto Welsh/Johnson chests, or bombing long to Minson with Harbrow etc at his feet.

LostDoggy
04-05-2009, 11:33 PM
In: Welsh/Skipper, Williams

Everitt to the wing to replace Eagleton, Williams into the backline for Everitt. Welsh if fit to full forward to replace Hahn, should do well on his old home ground, Skipper same role if Welsh is not ready.

Deliberately bringing in the extra tall to stretch Adelaide, we could play Welsh/Skipper, Minson, Lake down forward with Hill, Harbrow and Aker to crumb, allowing long penetrating kicks over the zone to avoid us giving hospital handballs 70m out trying to create space.

Gilbee to the backline taking the kickouts - this may help him get into the game and his penetration will help against the Adelaide zone. Cross to play off half back as a 3rd man up (does it well in the ruck) with Lake down forward.

Happy with Addison's contested efforts, but if Callan is ready happy to swap for his superior disposal. Gia to get one last chance, leadership group to accept nothing less than 100% from each other this week with passengers to be dropped regardless of reputation

B: Addison, Morris, Gilbee
HB: Hargrave, Williams, Cross
C: Hill, Boyd, Everitt

Int: Picken, Welsh/Skipper, Giansiracusa, Minson

Welsh hasn't played regular footy for a while, I don't think he'll be picked for any games until much later in the year.

Mantis
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
They're two players I'd like to see blooded this year - exactly when Im not sure

Would a taste of AFL level show each player what they needed to work on?

As would I. When they play is a bit of a mystery, but you would expect that both should get some senior action over the next couple of months. Both have deficiencies in their game, but as you suggest need to an opportunity to almost fail in a way so that they work even harder on their games.

Is Reid a chance this week given he is the AAMI stadium specialist??

I'm not sure. To me Reid is a another Boyd/ Cross/ Gia type. He is strong over the ball, wins his own ball, but has foot skill & pace problems. I would think that if he is to come in it would have to be for one of these players. I really think that we need to bring in some different types into the team (quick/ outside types), but it's just that we don't have too many of these on our list & the one's we do have aren't ready yet.

Bulldog Revolution
05-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure. To me Reid is a another Boyd/ Cross/ Gia type. He is strong over the ball, wins his own ball, but has foot skill & pace problems. I would think that if he is to come in it would have to be for one of these players. I really think that we need to bring in some different types into the team (quick/ outside types), but it's just that we don't have too many of these on our list & the one's we do have aren't ready yet.

Understandable that Reid may not be considered at the minute on team balance, and he also may not be the right player against zones - his kicking does need to improve but I'd always thought he was quick enough. Maybe his preseason niggles have left his fitness as being off the pace because I'd always seen him as a more explosive runner that Boyd/Gia/Cross etc.

It seems almost incredible that we now seem light on for speedy wingman/ rebounding defender types - Daniels and White

Sedat
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Understandable that Reid may not be considered at the minute on team balance, and he also may not be the right player against zones - his kicking does need to improve but I'd always thought he was quick enough. Maybe his preseason niggles have left his fitness as being off the pace because I'd always seen him as a more explosive runner that Boyd/Gia/Cross etc.

It seems almost incredible that we now seem light on for speedy wingman/ rebounding defender types - Daniels and White
In a perfect world, the match commitee would have thought Lynch would be a regular senior player by now, playing the Betts/Rioli defensive small forward role, thereby freeing up someone like Harbrow to play further up the ground as an outlet option in the midfield. They probably also would have expected Stack to take over the running half back option from the likes of Power and McMahon, which would have also freed up Gilbee and Griffen to be more attacking options in the midfield. Unfortunately our class of 2006 hasn't come on as expected, which has left a significant hole in our structure from an outside midfield and genuine speed perspective.

Cyberdoggie
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM

I agree with just about all the above, however for team balance reasons and to give us a bit of hardness in the middle i think Sam Reid needs to be given a game.

I think Cross has been particularly dissapointing this year. Gone is his trademark throwing his body in on contests on the ground and in the air. Hahn is also suffering a similar condition, if it's injury or form i'm not sure but these 2 players aren't the most highly skilled and are really in the team because they hard at it. Take that away and they don't really provide much. Reid's inclusion might give him a good nudge to lift his game.

I think Sam Reid should be given a go and you know he will provide some phyical pressure even if he has suspect disposal or might not get a lot of the ball.

Stack i think isn't ready and might take some time to make his mark in the dogs lineup. I have no doubt he could surprise us but as is his trend he tends to play ordinary games when promoted.

I really don't thnk that players in or out are going to solve the problem. There is a distinct lack of endeavour and confidence amongst the group for some reason and until they get back to basics and apply pressure and 1%'ers and support each other then we won't get on the winner's board.

Sleeve1970
05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
In all the rookies who are hungry for a game and a win, out all the old non performing guys who turn up week in week out...